Menu

Poll: Where do you fall in the birth order?

Where do you fall in birth order?  

1. 1. Where do you fall in birth order?

Poll coming!

I am curious as to whether birth order has any impact on your choice to homeschool. For example, are middleborns more likely to homeschool? Or does it even matter?

I myself am a firstborn. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the youngest of my father's kids, the third of my mother's.

She had my half sister when I was 15 years old.

So I voted other.

I lived most of my life as the youngest, and my uncles started having kids late, so all the other cousins are around 15 years younger than me.

I'm a last of three, DH is First of three.

DH's family is all PS and we are the only with children right now (but I would bet the other 2 will NOT homeschool)

My Brother(firstborn) was entirely PS'd as was his wife(also firstborn of three) and they homeschool their three.

My sister (middleborn and PS'd through 11th grade and homeschooled for the last year.. btw.. do not ever do that to a child who has been through so many years with the same kids and then not allowed to do senior year and graduate with them.) She does NOT homeschool her 2.

Hope this helps with your research!! It has been so interesting to read the responses so far..

Lori.

I'm the only girl in the middle of two boys.

Everyone always thought I was the oldest when we were kids.

According to Kevin Leman's theory, that makes me a firstborn female. So in many ways I function in the family as a firstborn: responsible, nagger/leader, achiever.

Sounds a bit like my only dd. The nagger/leader part anyway. :tongue_smilie:

I am the youngest in my family. :001_smile:

I'm the oldest of four. Personality wise? It goes like this for us: oldest, middle, youngest, only.

My dh is technically the youngest, but his sister is 9 years older than him and moved in with their dad when she was 13. So, he has an only child personality.

I wonder what this poll says?

Are oldest children more likely to homeschool? More likely to be attracted to TWTM? More likely to answer polls? More likely to post on this particular board?

I *know* we have a disproportionate number female "NT" personality types than the general population. I wonder if that goes hand in hand with the large number of oldest children here.

I am the oldest of 6, but we were raised as two sets of 3 (my mom had 2 with my dad, then remarried and had one with my stepdad; dad remarried and had 3 more). All girls, and we were born over a thirteen year span. Dh is the oldest of 3, all three born in a 22 month span. Even though we are both firstborns, we find that it was a very different experience.

These poll results are just cracking me up! We firstborns just need a lot of people to boss around, I guess. If we sent them to school, we couldn't tell them what to do all day. ;)

And we have high standards. And we'd have to be the room mom. And we'd have to have regular conferences with the teacher. And we wouldn't approve of the reading list. And, and, and...

It might help some to have a definition of birth order.

Dr. Kevin Lehman, who wrote the Birth Order Book, says that a first born is...the first born. :D But it there are two children in a family, a boy and a girl, both are first-borns, because one is the first-born boy, the other is the first-born girl. So if there were a boy, then a girl, then another girl, the first girl is a first-born, not a middle child. See?

If there are four or five years between siblings, the next younger dc counts as a first born, even if that dc is the same gender as the older dc.

It's pretty clear what the baby of the family is...unless there is a 4- or 5-year difference between the baby and the next oldest child, in which case...he's a first born. Clear as mud? :D

In large families, birth order is repeated all over the place, lol.

Mr. Ellie is younger of two sons, but he is a first born because his brother is five years older.

I have three younger brothers; two of them count as first borns, because the oldest is five years younger than I, and the baby is at least 10 years younger than the second brother.

Edited by Ellie

I'm firstborn but not the oldest because my sister who is 1 year older than me joined our family when I was 12 and she was 13. We were in the same grade, never in the same social circles though.

But I put firstborn on the poll.