Menu

So, let's talk about your feet when you drive....

OK...so this is my first poll. I was inspired when I drove with my husband in his truck today. :lol: I've known this man for nearly 30 years and this still bugs me. Here's the thing.....he drives with both feet. :001_rolleyes: Who does this (other than him)??? I've never seen anyone else do this. He uses his right foot on the accelerator and his left foot on the brake. And, it's like they are both ready for action at the same time. I've never really questioned him about it (I think I did nearly 30 years ago but I don't remember his explanation, if any. I'm not about to ask him about it now). I mean...could he have actually driven like this with his drivers instructor and taken a road test like this?? Do other people drive like this?

And, while we are on this subject, my dd often drives barefoot. :ohmy: Is that even safe? Does anyone here do that? Another thing I've noticed that she does is when she has her cruise control on, both her feet are on the floor of the car...like she's just relaxing. When I use cruise I keep my right foot near the accelerator (kind of like heel on the floor but the top of my foot up in case I need to brake quick).

I know I'm not perfect...but I think it's interesting how people can have such a variety of ways to drive a car. And, fyi....I voted for "I use my right foot when I drive & always wear shoes". I have never driven barefoot.

ETA: Edited to clarify that the poll is for automatic transmission, not stick shift; because then you would need both feet (I think; I still can't drive a stick and maybe this is why). But, feel free to still vote if you only drive stick. :o)

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I use my right foot and almost always drive barefoot.

One thing about driving barefoot though: make sure your shoes aren't near the brake and gas pedals. You don't want them to be able to slip underneath and keep you from being able to press the pedal to the floor - especially the brake!

I often have my left foot tucked up on the seat (as if sitting half cross-legged).

Also, I've heard it's dangerous to drive in flip-flops, because the sole can bend underneath your foot and keep you from being able to press the pedal to the floor.

I answered like you did; however, I have driven barefoot once in awhile (if I ended up driving but had on a pair of shoes which were terrible for driving).

My mom sometimes drives using both feet. Imo, it makes braking harsher (i.e., passengers like me get thrown around more by the more abrupt stopping).

:tongue_smilie::lol:

OK...so this is my first poll. I was inspired when I drove with my husband in his truck today. :lol: I've known this man for nearly 30 years and this still bugs me. Here's the thing.....he drives with both feet. :001_rolleyes: Who does this (other than him)???

Did he spend a lot of years driving a stick? My mother did and could never get used to just having one foot doing the work in her automatics later….

I answered that I drive with my right foot and sometimes drive barefoot. I was guessing you were talking about braking and accelerating. I do use my left foot to clutch because I drive a stick.

The only time I drive barefoot is when wearing flip-flops. They get caught on the floor of the car and can be dangerous, so I just take them off.

I drive a car with MANUAL transmission - of course I use both feet.

This is actually a compelling reason why people should drive an automatic with one foot for the gas and brake.

How else would you ever learn to drive a car with a manual transmission? If you are habitually using your left foot to brake, you would stall out a lot until you broke that habit.

I answered that I drive with my right foot and sometimes drive barefoot. I was guessing you were talking about braking and accelerating. I do use my left foot to clutch because I drive a stick.

The only time I drive barefoot is when wearing flip-flops. They get caught on the floor of the car and can be dangerous, so I just take them off.

Same here.

I only drive with both feet when I'm driving a manual transmission. Otherwise, its just the right foot and I may have the left foot tucked up on the seat.

I ocassionally drive behind cars with the brake lights on yet they are accelerating. I assume they are driving with both feet and did not fully release the brake while they were hitting the gas. Someone told me it is more common with older people who were used to using both feet driving a manual transmission. Driving an automatic, they still want to use both feet. I go back and forth between a manual and an automatic and there's no way I could use both feet with the automatic - I hit the brake way too hard if I try to do it with my left foot.

One thing about driving barefoot though: make sure your shoes aren't near the brake and gas pedals. You don't want them to be able to slip underneath and keep you from being able to press the pedal to the floor - especially the brake!

I often have my left foot tucked up on the seat (as if sitting half cross-legged).

Also, I've heard it's dangerous to drive in flip-flops, because the sole can bend underneath your foot and keep you from being able to press the pedal to the floor.

Really? How interesting. This gives me the impression that you're a laid back kinda gal. :D

I drive a car with MANUAL transmission - of course I use both feet.

Did he spend a lot of years driving a stick? My mother did and could never get used to just having one foot doing the work in her automatics later….

Hmmm.....I never thought of that. That could be it. We don't have a stick....but I know he did when he was really young. He drives this way with automatics. But, maybe that's it. Thank you for that input...I might have a clearer understanding of what goes on in this mans brain (at least when it comes to driving). :lol:

When I was younger, lots younger drove manual so had to use both feet. Used to drive barefoot all the time. Especially when wearing heels. Current car uncomfortable to drive barefoot and I don't wear heels much anymore. Always tennis shoes. Long drives, cruise control will tuck up left leg, but right foot stays planted near pedals at all times.

I've driven manuals and it definitely enforced the never using the left foot on the brake for me. You just can't. Every time you brake, you usually need to shift too.

I did find myself searching for the phantom clutch though. It just never transferred to braking with the left foot.

This is actually a compelling reason why people should drive an automatic with one foot for the gas and brake.

How else would you ever learn to drive a car with a manual transmission? If you are habitually using your left foot to brake, you would stall out a lot until you broke that habit.

You learn to drive a manual FIRST :)

Really, it is not that difficult - everybody in Germany can manage.

My kids will learn to drive manual first and then get to drive our cars. This way we can be pretty sure they won't let their friends drive our cars :tongue_smilie:

The first few times driving an automatic I would brake REALLY hard- because I'd use the left foot which is used to press down the clutch much stronger. After a while, though, switching was easy. For many years, we'd have one manual and one automatic.

I don't know that it's necessarily a bad thing. It just seems to me like it potentially could be unsafe...like if you had to brake really hard and fast.

I think it is only unsafe if you drive barefoot, but you had your shoes next to you, so they could potentially slip under the brake....heels and flip flops can be dangerous too.

Me too.

I am quite sure it is illegal to drive barefoot in Colorado? or Virginia? But in my case, it's much safer than driving in flip flops or sandals . . . or clogs. I rarely wear enclosed shoes, so I'm always slipping my right one off to drive.

I normally use right foot and shoes, but have on rare occasions driven barefoot. I have had cars in the past where I had to keep a light foot on the accelerator when stopped or the car would stall, so drove with both feet. Dh used to drive with both feet because he was used to manual, but drives one footed now.

In the van I use my right foot and rarely go barefoot. In the Civic I use both feet (stick shift) and rarely go barefoot. :)

ETA: In my first car (67 Ford Falcon - I miss that car) I had to use both feet. If the engine wasn't warm it would stall at a stop sign! Got pulled over by a cop cuz I did a California stop and told him and and he laughed and let me go :D

Ack! I chose the wrong option! I use both feet to drive b/c I have a manual. And I never drive w/shoes on, even in the winter. I can't feel my car w/shoes on.

On the rare occasion I do drive an automatic, I drive w/one foot, tucking up my left so I don't cause an accident by trying to step on a non-existent clutch.

I did find myself searching for the phantom clutch though. It just never transferred to braking with the left foot.

:D

This was me right after I switched from my beloved ancient pickup truck. I stomped on the floor of my newer car a lot!

Now: I almost always drive barefoot. When the cruise control is off, I have the right-foot-only drive. When the cruise control is ON, my right foot is nowhere near the pedals and my LEFT is near the brake (because my right knee is quite bad and needs a lot more wiggle-room than the left, which is happy hovering for a long time).

Really? How interesting. This gives me the impression that you're a laid back kinda gal. :D

Thanks! I am in California ;) . . . I don't think it's that though. It's just a comfort thing. I'm short, and so I always sit with my feet up (as long as it's appropriate to the venue, that is). Most seats are too high for me, including our driver's seat. Generally, to sit comfortably, you want your knees at a level with your hips or higher. Not happening for me in most seats! hence: feet tucked up whenever possible. :)

This is why I drive barefoot most of the time. I live in south florida and wear flip flops a LOT. I feel they are very dangerous to drive in. I also don't drive in heels or slippery soled shoes. So mostly barefoot. I also have a horrible habit of curling my left leg up, or putting my left food up on the dash area...bad I know. But the barefoot thing is totally safe. It actually gives you a really good feel for the road.

Thanks! I am in California ;) . . . I don't think it's that though. It's just a comfort thing. I'm short, and so I always sit with my feet up (as long as it's appropriate to the venue, that is). Most seats are too high for me, including our driver's seat. Generally, to sit comfortably, you want your knees at a level with your hips or higher. Not happening for me in most seats! hence: feet tucked up whenever possible. :)

lol, that's exactly why I do the same thing! My feet don't reach the floor in most places, so I have a habit of tucking them up.

According to Wiki:

It is not illegal to drive a motor vehicle while barefoot. Some people speculate that driving barefoot increases the risk of an accident if bare feet slip off the pedals.[55] It is legal throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom to drive barefoot.[55][56][57] However, in some jurisdictions, police officers may ticket you for other things if the fact that you were driving barefoot or in flip flops/high heeled shoes hindered your driving and/or resulted in an accident.[58]

So, we got a lot of barefootin' people here. Well, this is good to know. I've never done that....but apparently it's not a bad thing then. I never really thought about the flip flop thing....and my dd wears them almost all the time, so this is probably why she drives barefoot. I will, however, be sure to remind her to throw her shoes over on the passenger side floor.

I drive with my left foot. no where comfortable for my right foot to rest.

Interesting. But when I picture this, it seems that this would be uncomfortable.

This is why I drive barefoot most of the time. I live in south florida and wear flip flops a LOT. I feel they are very dangerous to drive in. I also don't drive in heels or slippery soled shoes. So mostly barefoot. I also have a horrible habit of curling my left leg up, or putting my left food up on the dash area...bad I know. But the barefoot thing is totally safe. It actually gives you a really good feel for the road.

Yep...bad idea; don't drive with food on the dash area....especially left food. :lol: Sorry! Couldn't resist. I know what you mean. But...how very odd. :D

I hate wearing shoes when I drive. :ack2:

ITA with whoever said that using your right foot for the brake is a bad thing.

If cruise control is on, my feet are relaxed on the floor. Preferably barefoot. :D

Really? Why is using the right foot to brake a bad thing? And, who said that (other than you)?

I do this too! My left foot is rarely on the floor. And if I'm wearing shoes that are easily slipped off, (which I almost always am) I'm driving barefoot.

I drive one footed (right) and will drive barefoot quite often. I'm not a flip flop gal, but I hate shoes and am usually barefoot most of the time. Many times I don't even bother to put my shoes on when I run out the door. I just carry them with me, toss them in the car and we're off.

...if that's actually true. (ETA: I researched this, and apparently it's NOT illegal to drive barefoot in any of the 50 states. One source I found did say that it's illegal in my state to drive a commercial vehicle without shoes, but I need to do further research to verify that.) I drive with shoes on anyway. It's more comfortable that way. And I definitely use only my right foot (I drive only automatic transmission cars); the people I've known who use their left foot on the brake and right on the accelerator tend to rest their left foot and their brakelights are always on. That's very bad for the brakes, according to people I know who know more about cars than I do, not to mention being very confusing to the people behind you who have no idea whether you're actually attempting to slow down/stop or not.

Edited by ereks mom

I drive an automatic and a manual, so: when driving the automatic I usually wear shoes and I drive only with my right foot- I hardly ever use cruise control because I don't drive on long trips in my 'truck'.

when driving the stick I am usually barefoot and obviously use both feet, when using cruise control my foot isn't on the pedal and I don't keep my left foot on the clutch either (whether using cruise control or not).

I never wear shoes when I drive. I can use my right, left or both feet (standard) but can't drive well with shoes on. It gets really annoying in the winter when I have to pull of my boots and my socks get wet from the slush on the floorboards.

I voted that I only use my right foot and I always have shoes on.

However, DH drives with both feet. He was taught that by his father who was a race car driver in his spare time. DH also went to racing school. Anyway, he's never driven any other way and he drives very well, and is very safe. He doesn't ride the brake and he has no problem switching to driving a stick shift.

If I remember correctly, years ago there was a study which proved that the reaction time is significantly reduced when using two feet. With the left foot always ready to brake, and not having to move the right foot from the accelerator, the braking happens much faster. I think that the mpg was also reduced a bit because of a slight overlap in using the gas and brake pedal. But I drive with only the right.

I use my right foot and sometimes drive barefoot. You can feel the road better that way.

My father railed against driving with both feet when I was learning. He said that sometimes you'll be letting off the accelerator and starting on the brake, or the other way around, and doing even a little of both at the same time is really bad for the car.

I had to vote other because I drive an automatic and a stick.

I always wear shoes. It was drilled into me in drivers' ed. It's no fun after a crash to walk on broken glass barefoot and would be even less fun if your life depended on it.

With the automatic, I drive with my right foot. That also was drilled into me in drivers' ed. This also made the transition to learning a manual transmission much easier.

With the manual transmission, I have to drive with both feet... there's this thing called the clutch ...

ETA ... the only time I would drive with both feet with an automatic transmission was when my dad bought this car that would stall at stop lights if you did not keep feeding a little bit of gas. I HATED that car. I forgot once and stalled in the middle of a left turn and cars were coming! I think I got my first gray hair that day and I was 17.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

My dh often drives with 2 feet when he drives an automatic. It makes me crazy because I was taught that you weren't supposed to use both feet. When I asked him about it, he told me he had always driven that way and was never told differently.