Menu

If you had 2 BRs, where would you put 2 girls, 1 boy, and a mom?

I will be moving at some point in the next few months... not sure where, but our lease here will be up. Looking at current income, a 2br would be more affordable than a 3br, which would make the budget REALLY tight.

So, then, how would you sleep?

1 adult mom

10yo girl

6yo boy

5yo girl

Options:

A) All sleep in one room, and allow the other bedroom for communal space.

B) Mom and boy in one room, girls in the other.

C) Mom and 10yo girl in one room, youngers in the other.

D) Boy in one room, girls in the other, and mom sleeps in communal space.

E) Something I haven't thought about yet.....

indiscreet question..

do you expect male overnight visitors once in a while? That would impact my decision, if I were in your shoes

No, no overnight guests, with the possible exception of my brother on a couch.

For now, I'd say C. In about 4 years, I'd reconfigure.

I'm looking at this as a short-term solution, but for the minimum of a one-year lease agreement.

I will be moving at some point in the next few months... not sure where, but our lease here will be up. Looking at current income, a 2br would be more affordable than a 3br, which would make the budget REALLY tight.

1 adult mom

10yo girl

6yo boy

5yo girl

Options:

C or E - kids in larger bedroom and mom in the other. I could easily put boys and girls together at those ages. We have a couple of times given the kids the larger space and taken a smaller bedroom as the parent bedroom.

Hmm, that's tough.

I'd think that the 10 year old girl is getting to the age where privacy might be an issue for her, so what about giving her the smaller room and you and the littles take the bigger room?

If privacy isn't an issue for her yet, I'd put all three in the larger room, and you in the smaller. I hate the idea of you sleeping in the living room. Personally, I need a real bed.

Check w/cps in your area. Believe it or not, there are regulations in place. I know where I used to live, no way the boy could share with anyone. I don't know if the girls would be legally allowed to share with Mom, b/c there's another rule saying no more than 5 yrs difference.

When I first moved here, I had my son in one room, dd in the other, and I put my bed behind the couch, hidden, from the rest of the bedroom.

It would depend on the space. I don't see an issue with a boy and girl so young sharing a room. I'd put 10 year old alone in smaller room, the 2 littles together, and I'd sleep on a fold out.

When my brother's kids stayed with me, you couldn't peel the 5 and 7 year old apart, and I detected no trauma to them sharing a room.

Check w/cps in your area. Believe it or not, there are regulations in place. I know where I used to live, no way the boy could share with anyone. I don't know if the girls would be legally allowed to share with Mom, b/c there's another rule saying no more than 5 yrs difference.

When I first moved here, I had my son in one room, dd in the other, and I put my bed behind the couch, hidden, from the rest of the bedroom.

Here there are only regulations for foster children, and those state that no one over 5 may share a room with a person of the opposite sex. Other cases are evaluated on a case-by-case basis if there is a need for an evaluation.

I would see what the kids prefer:) I don't have a 10 year old and won't pretend to know what a 10 year old might prefer, but I wouldn't have a problem with my younger ones sharing a room with me. Cause they all sleep in my room half the time anyway!

We slept all in one room for over a month recently, and none of them really like to sleep in a room alone. I however, was going batty being in the same room with them, as I couldn't set my early morning alarm to have some alone time before they awoke.

We slept all in one room for over a month recently, and none of them really like to sleep in a room alone. I however, was going batty being in the same room with them, as I couldn't set my early morning alarm to have some alone time before they awoke.

Since CPS is moot (yay, I think the restrictions are stupid) it sounds like you have your answer. You need your own space for your own wellbeing.

I have had to figure out a situation similar to this before, except I had 2 boys and 1 girl. I had a two bedroom apartment, but one of the bedrooms was a master with a walk in closet. I put all the kids in there (I really wanted my own space), and I gave my daughter (who was 9 going on 10 at the time) the walk in closet. It had a door on it for privacy, and she was able to turn it into her own little space. Is there anyway you could get something like that? It worked out great for us.

If you couldn't do that I think I would give the younger children one bedroom and share the other with your older daughter.

Have you asked them what they'd like?

It's possible the three may happily share a room for now, giving you your own. Especially if the little have a bunk bed with top bunk privileges switched every month or so. I'd recommend giving them the larger room, even if the bathroom is attached. Actually especially if the bathroom is attached then they can each have their own privacy for changing. But I think you are going to need your personal space as well.

Your littles are close enough in age to still want to play together and be together.

However with this set up, I might offer the oldest the use of your room/bed if she is looking for quiet/alone time to read or work. Play it as 'because you are having to share a room with your younger sibs, if you want/need to be alone I'm giving you a special priviledge to come sit on my bed to read or do your work. I would maybe also offer her the ability to keep anything 'special' she doesn't want the little into in your room. Maybe give her a drawer (too much space and she may move everything in there) to put any projects or just something that little fingers, especially ones sharing a room with her may touch. At their ages I see them still having a hard time distinguishing 'stuff to play with in OUR room' from 'big sis 'special' stuff' at times, especially when the game gets going strong.

It's not a forever solution, but it may by you a few years and by then your situation my change.

1 adult mom

10yo girl

6yo boy

5yo girl

Options:

I would vote for kids in the larger bedroom, mom in the smaller bedroom. I would try to find a way to create some private space for your oldest, if she is the type that wants her own space. You could use a privacy screen to "divide" up the room a bit.

If the 10yo is okay with sharing a room with her siblings, I would put them all in the larger bedroom and take the smaller one for yourself. My kids shared a room for several years, and then just the two youngest shared for another couple of years. None of them seem to be any worse for the wear. And having the opportunity to recharge yourself can be the difference between good mommy and crazy-on-the-edge mommy. (Says the woman who contemplated locking herself in the bathroom more than once last week! :tongue_smilie: )

I think that is your answer! Mom's really do need to have a time of privacy at some point each day, and a bedroom is a retreat -- especially for adults. You deserve it, so don't feel guilty about it. Dc can join you by invitation perhaps. So I would say put up the bunks and the other bed in the larger bedroom for the three dc to share and you take the smaller room. Like you said, this is not a permanent situation.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We have 3 bedrooms: 10yo boy, 8yo girl, 4yo girl, 2yo boy all share one room. We had them separate at one point, boys & girls, before that, it was bigs & littles. They prefer to be together, though, so we use the other bedroom for a playroom.

In your situation, I believe that it is absolutely essential that you have your private space. You will just need it. Period. Then do what you can to provide space for the kids to use for private space. At one point, I told my oldest he could always get away from the others in my closet (walk-in). Of course, then I forgot & couldn't find him one day. :lol:

:grouphug:

Based on the bolded, you need to have your space, even if it is a futon couch or pull out or air bed. (We used one for a while, just raised the bed up during the day so it was kinda like a Murphy bed in the living room.)

Bro can sleep on an air bed on the floor when he comes over.

I would put the girls in one room and boy in other. Me in living room. Once the kids start getting up before you do (if ever), I would put the boy in living room and me in smaller room.

Girls are typically social anyways and they can be encourgaed to view eachother as best friends for life, their special bond, keep reminding them of the uniqueness and oportunity they have with having a sister, etc. That's what I do with my girls anyways.

Yes, I think I did answer my own question, and yes, I do think there is a bit of guilt there for needing some of my own space.

And I will most likely stagger bedtimes a bit - allowing the 10yo some independent reading time or some 1:1 time while the other two get settled. When all three are in the same room together, bedtime becomes party-time! :lol:

Thanks, ladies!

I would put all 3 in one room and myself in the other and give the 10yr old permission to chill in my room when she needs some space. My kids are not too far from yours in age and they frequently sleep in the same room on vacations and they are perfectly happy. I would hope to be able to move when the lease is up so the 10yr old will have her own room or only share with her sister before she hits 12. I think children having separate bedrooms is a very new phenomenon.

I shared a 2-bedroom space with my son and daughter; they were 5 and 10 at the time. Our solution was to make one room the sleeping room (for all of us) and use the other room as a playroom/office.

In the bedroom we had one king-sized bed for all of us, but that's how we've always slept -- we could have easily put a full and at least two twin beds in there ... three if one was a bunk or trundle.

In the playroom we did keep a twin-sized futon, which served as a couch by day and a bed by night, if needed. I imagine one of those sofa/futon things would function the same way. It was nice having that option because some nights my eldest wanted to stay up and read, and some nights I had cramps and wanted by own space to sleep, and some nights when someone was sick or their dad was in town visiting or ... lots of reasons why I liked having that back-up bed in the playroom. It didn't take up much space, and it was used just as much during the daytime, for reading or napping or playing.

FWIW I grew up always sharing a bed with a sibling, and a room with several. Maybe because that's normal for me, I don't prioritize myself or my 10 year old having his own sleep space; when he does need private downtime, he retreats to the playroom in the evenings - just as I do at night once they're in bed. He's never complained, even when asked. By others, not just me LOL. The kids have their own rooms at their other house but they still usually prefer to fall asleep together (and are then moved to their separate rooms during the night).

For a year, pretty much any arrangement you decide will be do-able :)

Well, we do have two bedrooms because we live in a caravan. All four kids sleep in one room, and Mum and Dad sleep in the other bed which is just curtained off from the main room.

I think if it were me, though, I'd just take everyone sleeping in the one room and have the other for extra space. Everyone is always happier when they are close to Mum, and it gives more space during the day.

ETA:

None of my kids have ever had a room to themselves. Peter did ask me once a few months ago if when we stopped travelling he could have a room to play lego in without the baby. Fair enough. I don't think he's even realized the concept of a seperate bedroom each. Kids don't usually mind, adults mind.

Yes, I think I did answer my own question, and yes, I do think there is a bit of guilt there for needing some of my own space.

And I will most likely stagger bedtimes a bit - allowing the 10yo some independent reading time or some 1:1 time while the other two get settled. When all three are in the same room together, bedtime becomes party-time! :lol:

Thanks, ladies!

No guilt necessary :D whatever re-charges you is best for them in the long run!

We all go to bed together -- my eldest reads a story to the youngest, then I read a story to both, and I stay in bed until my youngest falls asleep (usually 10-15 minutes). Some nights my eldest goes to the other room to read for an extra 30 minutes; some nights he stays and snuggles with us. It's nice. I have friends who felt sorry that we're "cramped" into such a small space, but I loved it. So much so that we moved from that 2-bedroom to a single bedroom at my parents' home - by choice, and quite happily. Family re-charges me, and I feel no guilt about our living arrangements!

I know a family in thiz situation but with at least double the kids. Parents andgirls in their own bedrooms and boys roll up sleeping bags on the living room floor every night. With just one boy though...he might get lonely on the couch! My boys loveto sleepinour room and just last night we had the two year oldd in our bed and the other three slept on the floor in sleeping bag and they want to have a slumber party again tonight! My oldest is seven. Not much help I see after typing that out!

I would take one bedroom for yourself, give one to the two littles and ask the 10 yo if she would prefer to sleep on a couch/daybed in the living room or in the room with the littles.

My three youngest kids shared a bedroom for two years when starting when they were 7, 5, and 2 1/2. The two youngest shared a double bed with a large pillow between them. They are a boy and a girl. The 7 year old slept in the top bunk. It worked very well while we needed this arrangement. About a year ago, the youngest got her own room, and my boys still share a room. The teenager has always has her own room.

I think that is your answer! Mom's really do need to have a time of privacy at some point each day, and a bedroom is a retreat -- especially for adults. You deserve it, so don't feel guilty about it. Dc can join you by invitation perhaps. So I would say put up the bunks and the other bed in the larger bedroom for the three dc to share and you take the smaller room. Like you said, this is not a permanent situation.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree:DD is 5 and we share a bedroom, and will for another 2 years, but when we move from here..... Mommy will be getting her own room!! Not only for the privacy, but also because I would like a bedroom that isn't filled with toys, glow in the dark stars, bed full of stuffed animals.... :lol:

I haven't read all the answers yet. But, we have a three bedroom apartment for the six of us. I'd put the younger two in the same room. If you use bunkbeds you can divide even a small room into two separate spaces with curtains if desired, but otherwise you can use judicious knock on closed doors policies to allow changing privacy. Bedrooms here are divided among the children by temperament, not age or gender. The two messy, talkative children share one room, and the quieter, neater two share the other (with my husband and I in the third.)

Here are three more options I might consider:

1) All of the kids in one room, you in the smaller. You could have two of them in a bunk, and the third in a regular twin. If the person in the twin wanted to feel like they had more privacy (your oldest, perhaps?), you could put a divider up between that bed and the bunk beds. My sister and I had one of those growing up between our two beds. :)

2) You and the youngest daughter in one room, and the older daughter and your son in the other. (My thought here is that sharing with the younger one might feel like you have more privacy, in a way; they usually sleep so soundly at that age, and would be more oblivious perhaps to your coming in, turning on the nightstand light to read, etc.)

3) You get the small room by yourself, put two children in the other room (either the two girls or your two youngest), and put the third child in the living room at night. A friend of mine did this with one of her kids. There is actually a single arm chair you can get that opens up into a bed at night.

I'd put all three in the same room but maybe carve it up a bit with a curtain or canopy for the 10yo Your room is probably going to wind up being overflow half the time anyway (someone gets sick, has a bad dream, etc.) but at least their stuff will be in the other room.

If you do put someone in your room, I'd just pick whoever is the soundest sleeper (l.e., least likely to wake up when you creep in later or get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night). [ETA: I see the poster above me said the same thing!]

We have lived in a series of small apartments and except for a brief and shining couple of months in 2010, have yet to have a bedroom to ourselves, but I would draw the line at sleeping in the living room. I know some people with families in 1BRs who do that, but that would drive me crazy. I prefer to step over sleeping children on my way to my actual bed.

Sounds like you have all the beds you need. Put all the kids in the larger bedroom with the bunks and the bed with the trundle. Then put the other bed in your own bedroom. You'll probably all sleep just fine that way. :)

If you want to give the girls some privacy from their brother, they can share the bunk beds, and you can put some kind of divider down the middle of the room. It could be as simple as putting up a clothes line and hanging drapes or something from them to create two separate spaces.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

When I was a single mum for 18 months, I had 3 bedrooms- but I ended up putting all of us to sleep in the one room (I had my own bed, though, and they had bunk beds) and had the other 2 rooms for "stuff", play room (OK, one room was practically devoted to the pile of unsorted laundry in my pre Flylady days) etc. That suited me- I felt more secure having us all sleep in the same room, even though I love my own space.

However, if that didn't feel right- I would put all the kids in one room and myself in another. My 2 shared a room till my dd was 12 and about to go through puberty. If she had a sister, she wouldn't have got her own room, but because she had a brother, she did.

When we rented my Mom opted to give each of us our own room and sleep on a sofa bed in the lounge. She managed to buy a one-bedroomed apartment at one time, at which stage my sister and I shared and she slept in the enclosed balcony off the living area.

I'm looking at this as a short-term solution, but for the minimum of a one-year lease agreement.

One year? Put all the kids together, unless your 10 year old is very private.

I say this as a mom of kids who all slept in a heap in one room for quite awhile even as we lived in a 4 bedroom house.

Another idea: get one of those loft beds from Ikea, and let the oldest have her private space under the bunk by hanging curtains on the inside. (Can you see what I mean? I am starting to fade, so i will check back in the morning and try to make sense, coffee in hand.)

Edited by LibraryLover

I have had to figure out a situation similar to this before, except I had 2 boys and 1 girl. I had a two bedroom apartment, but one of the bedrooms was a master with a walk in closet. I put all the kids in there (I really wanted my own space), and I gave my daughter (who was 9 going on 10 at the time) the walk in closet. It had a door on it for privacy, and she was able to turn it into her own little space. Is there anyway you could get something like that? It worked out great for us.

If you couldn't do that I think I would give the younger children one bedroom and share the other with your older daughter.

I had a closet bedroom as a child and I remember it fondly. I have no idea how big it was but it held a twin size bed. My current closet is bis enough to make a small bedroom.

Hmm, well when we lived in an apartment there were rules about what size apartment you could have based on your family size. So, before you get too firm on a choice you might want to make sure the place you are looking at doesn't have those kinda rules.

Once you clear that out of the way I'd put all the children in one room via bunk beds or trundles. I think Mamma is going to need her own personal space to stay sane. As a special treat perhaps once a week each child could have a turn on the couch or in your room with you to help them feel "special". I'll say that no matter how many rooms we've ever had our children have always slept together.

I mentioned splitting them up and the looks that crossed their face were nothing short of horror. My eldest admitted that he'd love his own space but he wasn't sure he'd be keen on sleeping alone because "it would just be weird." ;)

Also, it might depend on the size of closets. I know this seems weird, but some closets are HUGE and could make a nice small bedroom for someone who needs or desires a bit of "alone" or privacy time. At the same time if it's only a short term thing you can remind everyone of that when things get touchy.

Then definitely put all the kids in one room for now and you use the other room. Eventually, you'll have to make changes, but it sounds like you are planning on that anyway. Enjoy your space while you can get it.

Lisa

I would vote for kids in the larger bedroom, mom in the smaller bedroom. I would try to find a way to create some private space for your oldest, if she is the type that wants her own space. You could use a privacy screen to "divide" up the room a bit.

:iagree: I have an 11,9,8 yo girl and 4 yo boy and they all sleep in the same room all the time. The two middle girls share a room, but the oldest and the boy have their own rooms - and I still find them sleeping on the hardwood floor in their sisters room just about every morning. I would put them all together in a heartbeat.