Menu

For those who have children with sensory issues...

How was their birth? Was it traumatic at all or did they need oxygen?

I'm doing a little informal survey. I was talking to a friend last night whose son has almost the same sensory issues my son does, and their births were almost identical.

Sorry for all of the questions. :tongue_smilie:

Both of mine have sensory issues (and autism, so not sure if you're looking for sensory only).

DD was a fairly normal birth. Her HR did drop for a bit, but no o2 when she was born. She went home with me.

DS's birth was drug free, and very quick. He did pass meconium, but did not aspirate. No o2. Went home less than 48 hours after birth.

Dd has a few sensory issues (smell, noise). She required internal fetal monitoring during birth, then her heart rate dropped and didn't come back up, so they delivered her REALLY fast (ouch). Turns out the cord was around her neck twice. After birth, she would stop breathing every so often, so they kept her in NICU for about four hours, after which point she was fine.

Dd has mild sensory issues: noise, clothing, crowds. She was born 4 weeks early, after six weeks of bedrest (preterm labor medications and contraction monitors at home). I had an epidural, and some anti-anxiety meds during labor.

Delivery was fast, and the cord was wrapped around her neck, but they were able to remove it with no problems and she didn't need to be in the NICU. However, she was hospitalized for a week a few days later for pathological jaundice. (THAT was fun, let me tell you.)

Nope. Ds was a picture perfect pregnancy, and had an easy birth after only 6 hours of labor (for a first baby). I did have an epidural, but no other interventions. All vitals normal the entire time, no jaundice, perfect nursling, everything was great. He left the hospital within 24 hours of being born.

He has significant sensory issues and has done OT. I think it is genetics more than birth experience.

I think it is genetics more than birth experience.

That's what I had thought as well, but when I talked to my friend I was shocked by how similiar their births were (they both needed to be on oxygen, we could not touch them for 3 days per the nurse's orders, their skin was VERY sensitive to the touch and we could only use firm pressure, no stroking on their bare skin). She (my friend) has always thought his birth was what caused his issues but I had never even thought of that.

That's what I had thought as well, but when I talked to my friend I was shocked by how similiar their births were (they both needed to be on oxygen, we could not touch them for 3 days per the nurse's orders, their skin was VERY sensitive to the touch and we could only use firm pressure, no stroking on their bare skin). She (my friend) has always thought his birth was what caused his issues but I had never even thought of that.

And ironically, this is the exact experience I had with my 2nd son and he has no sensory issues at all!

Ds6 was came 10 days after my due date, he had to be induced due to low amniotic fluid. They admitted me but waited to induce hoping that I would go into labor. I started having small regular contractions, but about 1am I puttered out.

I was induced the next day with Pitocin, when the contractions got to be unbearable for me ds's heart rate started to drop. I got an epidural (an awful one btw) and he was fine. There were no problems pushing him out and he came out very calm and alert. Eyes wide open looking around and not a peep of noise. Apgar was 9/9.

DD1 has several sensory issues, and her at her birth she was 8 days late, her heart rate kept going down, and they ended up having an emergency c-section.

My other daughter who has no sensory issues yet that we know of was 9 days late, they did an ultrasound and it showed that her placenta was almost completely calcified and that she had almost no amniotic fluid, so they did a c-section with her as well because she would have had a hard time withstanding labor.

DD 9's birth was probably not too traumatic, cuz she survived. (Not joking, look at my sig line) But her first year of life sucked. We got her when she was 11 1/2 mos. Upon arriving home and being checked out, it was discovered that she had had 8 broken bones, that were all healed. And there was/is no bone diseases.

As far as sensory goes: noise, taste & texture of food, touch (but her clothes are ok) and level of activity. She also has Executive Skills Dysfunction.

Going along with your survey, she was cared for by 6 different caregivers before she was placed with us. I was adopted, and in 7 foster homes before I was placed at 18 mos. I also have Executive Skills issues, and I have ADD. That first year is soooo important!!!!

I'm doing a little informal survey. I was talking to a friend last night whose son has almost the same sensory issues my son does, and their births were almost identical.

My boy was a 3-push natural & drug free delivery. Not traumatic, although I did tear because the pushes were good pushes that did not allow adequate time for the skin to...um... adjust. His apgar scores were all perfect except for a 9 in the first batch, which was due to his colouring. All of the L/D was very normal, however, it was a very unusual pregnancy. The midwives were astonished at his constant and extreme movement. I hate to say this, but it was gross being pregnant with him! He just did not stop, and I do mean extreme movements every single second of the day, from the time I was 9 weeks pregnant it just did not stop! When I lay on my side he would try to stand up on the bed. It was nausiating how much he moved. When he was born, he slept for 9 hours straight and was almost impossible to wake up. He nursed as he slept. He would sleep in a backwards "C" position, arching his back with his head backwards in an unnatural position. He had very sensitive hearing. When he was 2 or 3 days old he actually covered his ears when my dh vacuumed downstairs. Dx is severe classic autism. His sensory system today is all over the map. He is both hypo and hyper-sensitive in every sense. He can be seeking-seeking-seeking then BAM! Avoiding-avoiding-avoiding. It can change in a second.

Edited by specialmama

My ds6 (my K student) had a very traumatic birth but my pregnancy with him was very bad as well. I had SEVERE hyperemesis gravidarum. They literally tried every anti nausea med that was "approved" for pregnancy and none worked. NONE. (atleast within the safe for pregnancy doses) The doctor ended up giving me what he called an "end of chemotherapy" dose of Zofran. It was much higher than it would be for pregnancy. I was in the hospital for 7 months on IV's and it was terrible the whole pregnancy. (this went on the entire pregnancy)

Labor was induced because my water broke and I did not start labor. He got stuck during labor he had shoulder dystocia and all I remember was there were 2 nurses on the bed with me pushing my stomach in (to narrow it) the doctor calling for help and kicking dh out of the room and hearing them say he is in severe distress. (his cord was wrapped around his neck 2x) When he finally got out his first apgar score was 1 and he was blue. He did not breath or cry. His second apgar score was 3 then they left the room with him, still no crying or anything. I never saw my son for the first 45 minutes and I didn't even know if he was alive for the first 15 (and the nurse cleaning me up had the nerve to tell me to relax :glare:) He was fine, they had a breathing tube put in while they got him "going". Right now ds has HFA, a sensory processing disorder, sensory integration dysfunction, eye tracking problems, severe visual/spatial delays, low tone, tourettes syndrome (though that is genetic) and low IQ (but I did not know of his other problems so I am confident I can raise that now that I know everything that is wrong)

So thats our story. Now I am off to read the other replies.

ETA: He was hospitalized for 4 days but they said that after the initial problems he really bounced back pretty well as far as they could tell. The doctors told me there more than likely would be problems but the severity could not be determined until he was older which is what we are finding out now. He did not talk until he was over 3 as well. They are undetermined if that was related to the birth experience or strictly the Autism.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

My dd has sensory issues though they were more pronounced and annoying when she was little. Now we just live with them. She was born just shy of 36 weeks. Labor was induced due because my water broke without labor starting. Labor was 7 hours. I only pushed once and she slid right out.

She was initially fine and breastfed right after birth but was later put in the NICU because she didn't lose her meconium without help. She spent 10 days in the NICU...some time on antibiotics then jaundiced then she had apnea and required a sleep study before being sent home on an apnea monitor and the reflux cocktail with a shot of caffeine.

She's fine now.

One who has sensory issues did have a medicated hospital birth and needed some oxygen and suctioning.

But it seems like my 5 mo old has sensory issues, too soon to know for sure, I know. He was an unmedicated home birth. 22 hours, a difficult birth. Did not need oxygen.

ETA: I don't think either of their births were exactly traumatic though. They were both nursed soon after, and stayed by my side all the time. I do wonder about th elong term affects of epidurals though, in regards to my hospital birth.

ETAA: I have wondered if sensory issues are genetic. My dad has them- he gets so upset by the sound of the vacuum, it makes him angry, he has to put head phones on, and other quirks like that. I may have them to a lesser degree.

Edited by Annie Laurie

I had a seizure due to HELLP syndrome, which resulted in DS being born 6/7 weeks early. (Ob says one date; NICU doctors said another, which I feel is more accurate due to my early pregnancy symptoms.) DS went into respiratory distress minutes after birth and ended up on a vent for a week, then C-Pap for another week, feeding tube for three weeks and syringe fed for another four weeks.

DS has/had a lot of sensory and oral issues. Anything around his mouth freaked him out for the first five or so years of his life.

My nephew also has strong sensory issues, but he had a picture perfect birth.

As with many things, I think genetics and life experiences play a role. Some kids may have their issues solely due to genetics. Other kids may have their issues solely due to medical/abuse kinds of problems or experiences. Other kids may be a mix.

I'm inclined to think that my dd's issues are genetic, since her pregnancy and birth were problem-free and she had a normal babyhood. Her sensory problems are touch and sound aversion. Even as a baby she did not like certain kinds of touch and was the only one of our five who would not sleep next to me in bed. She preferred her own space. As soon as she could verbalize, she constantly asked about what was making every sound she heard. She startled all the time from water in the pipes in the walls or the sound of a distant train. OT has helped quite a bit. :) My dh has sensory issues (sound) and his family has an assortment of mild to severe mental illnesses.

All three of mine have sensory issues. Two of the births were pretty darn routine. The child with the easiest birth (no drugs or interventions, relatively quick) has perhaps the most severe sensory issues. I don't see a correlation with my kids.

Mine has undx Aspergers and shows some sensory avoidance. He needed O2 at birth.

Ds#1 as Asperger Syndrom, Sensory Integration Disorder, and ADD.

He is a twin and was 4weeks early. I had pre-eclampsia at the end and had preterm contractions starting at 20wks. Was on bedrest and terbutaline pump from 24 to 34 weeks.

As far as the birthing... it went fairly well I think. The pre-eclampsia was an issue but we all made it through without complications. The delivery was slow though. I was taken to OR around 3:00 am (having twins and my health required me to go to OR). Ds was born at 5:46am and Dd at 6:58am. I was pushing for a loooooong time.

We joke that Dd got tired of being crowded and kicked Ds out... and then she decided she was staying put with all that room -LOL.

Afterwards, they were in NICU for about 8 hrs. They were discharged from nursery before I was discharged.

Ds did get mild jaundice and had to be closely monitored for a few weeks but no treatment was needed.

So really, nothing traumatic.

His littlest brother has mild sensory issues and dx Autism Sprectrum Disorder and ADHD. No pregnancy complications and birthing was the easiest of all my kids.

My two with sensory issues both had extremely traumatic births. My oldest's birth was so bad I can barely talk about it, and he's 15! Every year on his birthday, my DH gets out the sign from the hospital that says, "IT'S A BOY!" just to remind us that, wow, we made it--we're all still here. It was just horrible. DD4's birth ended in preeclampsia and an emergency C-Section. She spent 3 1/2 days in the NICU.

Interestingly, these 2 are also my lefties, as am I. The three of us are the most sensory-sensitive people in the house.:001_huh: So, who knows. My DH swears that they've gotten a bigger "portion" of my genetics than the other two!:lol:

I had a terrible pregnancy with my son (moderate sensory/anxiety issues). I had migraines almost constantly through the last two months and ended up breaking my waters to get labour going. His delivery was difficult for me because I was so tired from the migraines and was too tired to stand up.

However, it was an uncomplicated home birth that lasted about 4 hours. He had a head with circumference of 38cm (or 15 inches) so that didn't help things at the end:001_huh:.

Edited by mommyto4
add inches

DS had to be delivered early by just a few days because there was literally no amniotic fluid around him at a checkup. During labor his heart rate dropped and I had to get on my hands and knees. It never came back up and we found out the cord was around his neck. He was delivered not breathing and blue but once they started working on him he started breathing right away and pinked up.

He also has ADHD and we are seeking testing to see if he has Aspergers.

Traumatic delivery. She was stuck in the birth canal and finally came out (with shoulder dystocia) very blue. I didn't think she was alive. It was my first baby and the nurse actually got on top of me, straddled me, and began pushing on my stomach to get her out. I was only 18 and I remember thinking "Man, this is nothing like the deliveries I have seen in the movies!":lol: Anyway, she has sensory issues and is diagnosed with PDD-NOS.

#1--labor induced at 41+ weeks. 24 hour labor. Epidural half-way through. Three hours pushing. Great Apgar score. Mild sensory issues that mostly affect clothing choices.

#2--unmedicated birth at 37 wk 2d. 13 hour labor. Easy delivery. Needed 02 for a few hours. Don't remember Apgar score. No sensory issues that interfere with life (he doesn't like his hands dirty and some tags bother him, but he doesn't pitch a fit about either).

#3--unmedicated birth at 37 wk 2d. 13 hour labor. Footling breech (once her twin was born, the nurse got her on the ultrasound monitor and the doctor reached up, grabbed her feet, and pulled her out). Spend an hour or so in the incubator until she kept her temp up. Fairly significant vestibular sensory issues and more minor issues with touch. (However, I have similar issues and my birth was straightforward.)

#4--naturally starting labor at 42 weeks. 17 hour labor. Light epidural for a couple of hours toward the end. Vacuum extraction. Good Apgar. Extremely picky eater caused in part by extreme sensitivity to smells. Also noise sensitive.

Labor for ds14 (who had the sensory stuff) was a manageable, 4 hour labor. I had almost no pain during labor, arrived at the hospital pushing. No health issues whatsoever - Excellent APGARs, no supplementary oxygen, nursed right away. We was "3 weeks early" according to DOC (we were charting), but the newborn assessment put him at 38 weeks.

Yes, my son's was. They induced me right before my "due date" from my u/s. I ended up having a seizure postpartum when the pulled my placenta out in the hospital, but he came out a lot faster than the other kids. Turns out that my edd was off by over a month. He was small and had neurological and digestive delays. He still does.

dd4 has debilitating sensory issues. As far as I know (I have her hospital records) she was a typical birth with no special accommodations.

DD12 has mild sensory issues, she was a scheduled c-section and spent a bit in an incubator due to low blood sugar issues.

I have one with sensory issues. Hubby blames the blood pressure meds (used to prevent preterm labor for about two months). There is research happening on a link between those & autism, I read in a spectrum magazine.... She had a normal, unmedicated birth, but the end was super-fast (7cm to born in under 20 min, 2 pushes) and she ended up with a tiny tear in her lung so she got to hang out in the NICU for 2.5 weeks. My little brother also probably would have been diagnosed with sensory issues if they knew about it then, though. He and dd have both improved greatly since their first couple of years.

Edited by LittleIzumi

Dd has SPD and had what I think was a fairly uneventful birth. I did well until 8cm...stopped progressing so they gave me pitocin. She came out soon after that. She did have the cord wrapped around her neck. No pain meds...only drug was pitocin.

DS has sensory avoidance issues. He had a slightly traumatic birth in that we had to use suction to get him out, but he was fine after that. He didn't want to be born and has avoided certain things ever since :p

DD is a sensory seeker. She decided to be born three weeks early and shoved her way out in less than six hours. Apparently she was all about new experiences from the get-go ;)

DS has major sensory issues and had a perfect birth. He had to have his foot manipulated at birth & put into a cast. The poor little guy was put through a ton of things as an infant with his medical problems.

DD had a traumatic birth and is 100% normal.

We have noticed though, that DS's sensory issues have amplified dramatically after each time that he has been put under anesthesia. He's had 7 surgeries in 5 years and by the time the last one was completed, he was down to eating only 2 foods and basically couldn't function at all in a social setting.

My easiest kid was born around 18 days early (almost couldn't have a homebirth) and nursed horribly for 3 weeks. I almost gave dc formula it was so bad. My 'sensory' kid birth was an absolute breeze, and child latched on perfectly before the umbilical cord was cut. Was my best sleeper, too.

Life is crazy!

My twins have major sensory issues, and I had a difficult pregnancy/birth. I had pre-term labor and was on bed rest for three months. I had the twins at 35 weeks, and they both ended up in the NICU for five days. They both needed oxygen.

DS1 is totally normal. He was born not breathing and with a fever. He was breathing shortly after birth, obviously. He was hooked up to cords and all that not so fun stuff.

DS2 is my child with issues. Mild on the sensory issue chart, but he didn't talk until he was 3 and he has fine motor issues. Gross motor is good. I couldn't have had a more normal birth and pregnancy.

So it's either genetics with DS2 or one of the 2 vaccines he got gave him issues. I don't blame the vaccines, but I'm not ruling it out either.

All 3 of mine have various sensory issues. One has mostly outgrown it (he used to be big time sensory avoiding), one doesn't present in the usual fashion, and one is more sensory seeking in most areas with only a few areas of aversions/avoidance.

All 3 of them were premature, and 2 of the 3 I was given pitocin. The first was born after only 5 hours of labor, very fast, no traumatic experience during the birth but he did need oxygen and (spelling error alert) surfactin to help mature his lungs after he was born, due to being early.

The 2nd, whose sensory issues present differently, was born after 12 hrs of labor, again, nothing traumatic at all. I had pitocin with him as well and also antibiotics as I tested positive for Group B Strep (he was fine). If memory serves, he did not need oxygen at all. He did have jaundice and need IV fluids though.

My 3rd was born very fast, about 5 hours of labor, no pitocin, he had the cord looped around his neck (though my doctor saw it, had me stop pushing, unlooped the cord, then finished delivering him) but to my knowledge no actual distress on the baby. He did need oxygen because he was so very early (31 wks). I don't think he needed resuscitation though, just oxygen to help him. He'd had steroids/I had steroids to mature his lungs before he was born. He was on oxygen for a few days (but never intubated).

I'll be interested to go back and read this thread now and see if there's any correlation....

My 6 yro has very obvious SPD. After finally reading about it, I now suspect my 9 yro also has SPD.

I really think there is something genetic going on. My 6 yro is an absolute carbon copy of one of my sisters.

As far as births: 6 yro was pretty normal. 9 yro had umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. :glare:

Actually, my 3 yro's birth was really bad. We thought she had died during the delivery - well, even after the delivery. She was an emergency c-section. I didn't get to even see her for 2 days. I had to argue/fight with the nurses to go see her. You would think SHE would have sensory issues. But, she doesn't.

both of our kids have sensory issues. Both were born full term, at home, with no medical intervention other than supervision of the process by our midwife (and our doctor, who arrived after they were born, in both cases :tongue_smilie:) I was in labor with ds 11 for about 4 hours (no tomatoes, please) and with ds 8 for about two hours. Needless to say, these were uncomplicated births. And at the risk of revealing my age on the internet, I was 40 and 42 when they were born.

I think they come by thier issues "honestly," - dh and I have them, to varying degrees, as well. HTH

I guess ds's depends on your definitions.

He has Asperger's and sensory issues. He needed no interventions at birth and was perfectly healthy. The labor itself was uneventful, but it was a LONG induction with nearly 12 hours of epidural.

There's been some sort of "glitch" with each and every one of my deliveries (even my 100% natural, easiest delivery), and I have a well-rounded assortment of "normals" and "abnormals" in my house. ;)

My older dd has SID or SPD (whatever they are calling it these days). From first contraction to birth was 22 hours. I pushed for 4 of those. She was stuck under my pelvic bone and they had a hard time getting her out. I believe she had an apgar of 3 and I'm not sure what they did to her when she came out because I was so out of it, but they did take her from me to do something. I had an epidural early on and then they increased it while I was pushing when the forceps slipped and hit my pelvic bone. She also has Asperger's.

DS has sensory issues. I was induced with him (my BP skyrocketed), but his birth was generally smooth. 28 hours of labor between the first pitocin drip & DS' arrival. However, we did have a few issues with him during my pregnancy. He seemed to enjoy holding onto his cord, which would cause his heart rate to drop. Spent a lot of time on monitors, and had several ultrasounds to make sure he was ok.

DD doesn't seem to have the issues he does, and her birth was MUCH more traumatic. I don't remember much of it, even though I was completely unmedicated (aside from the pit.). I developed HELPP syndrome in the 2 days between my 36 week appointment, and the day she was born. I remember telling them I absolutely did not want a C-Section unless it was absolutely necessary. Then I remember recanting & telling them to go ahead and get her out. I remember them sending DH home after they administered the pitocin & my parents had arrived. (We lived 40 minutes from the hospital. It was 1 AM. They told him he had plenty of time to go home & get a decent night's sleep. DD was born before 4 AM. His head hit the pillow & 5 minutes later, my dad called him & told him to get his @$$ back to the hospital. Neither of them are very good in high stress situations.... *smh*) I remember them forcing an oxygen mask on my face, and telling me her heart rate and oxygen levels were dropping, and I remember telling them that my water had broken and that DD was coming out. NOW. The nurse argued with me, telling me that wasn't possible-- it hadn't been long enough. DD was born 2 pushes later, my mother assures me.

ETA: This is post 751. I'm a Queen Bee!!!

zach was born 8 weeks early....in what was called an "emergency c-section" but it wasn't really an emergency....I was having pre-eclampsia issues but it was under control,but dr decided that it was time to deliver so they did....both of us had problems at the birth--he of course being a preemie he had help breathing for a few days and I actually STOPPED breathing and had to be in ICU on a breathing machine for a few days....zach was in NICU for about 21 days and eventually came off the oxygen and had to learn to suckle a bottle to eat (couldn't breast feed due to medication I was on)....he has adhd and asperger's and I think some sensory issues (certain clothing materials bother him-things like that)