Menu

what do you most want in a house

we are looking to move, here is what we want:

nice wooded lot, lots of trees

modern kitchen and bathrooms

hardwood floors, I would love it if there was no carpet at all

lots of windows, love it sunny

3 or 4 bedrooms

family/tv room that is not open plan (can't stand to hear the tv blaring from the rest of the house)

I think that is about it

Spacious kitchen. Decent cupboards, counter space. I feel like I spend the majority of my life there.

Enough bedrooms, and bedrooms big enough for the required furniture and still having room to walk around.

Min of 2 baths.

I *prefer* hardwood, but am willing to redo that myself.

Prefer an acreage, but we're looking at settling for something else right now, and moving again in a few years to what we absolutely *want*.

DH wants acreage. Lots and lots.

I want fewer bathrooms. Yep, you heard that right. Right now we have a sort-of strange house that was built as a bed-and-breakfast. SIX bathrooms is far too many to keep clean.

Actually, I would be happier with a smaller house, too. But I need to keep the laundry/mud room. It is a life saver here.

A master bath and separate laundry area. It is much easier to change wall color, flooring, decor type stuff than to add a room or move walls. I would look for the layout you want at a price you can live with and worry about the rest later.

Oh, and if its under 1200 sq, forget it. My family is too darn big at this point. Bigger the better right now. Until the kids either get more self contained, grow up and move out, 5 ppl in a house is a squeeze, and I'm tired of it.

I mean, 900 sq ft, 5 bedrooms? How does *that* work? Beds stand up against the wall? :001_huh:

I'd love to have :

a built in pool with an outdoor bathroom

3 full baths inside

5 bedrooms with 2 master bedrooms (well, if this is my dream home all the bedrooms would be master bedrooms so we'd have more than 3 bathrooms inside)

absolutely no carpet- I'd love hardwood floors but would settle for tile or vinyl, anything decent that's not carpet

A large, fully fenced back yard (with separate safety fence around the pool)

a 3 car garage

a storage building or room to build one- more than just a basic shed, to hold bikes, lawn mower, holiday decorations, etc.

a walk in pantry

an eat in kitchen

a dining room

a den in addition to a large family room

a long drive way

house that is NOT on a corner lot, preferably has a long private driveway

built in bookshelves would be an awesome plus

lots of windows- especially windows on the front of the house, we only have two windows on the front of our current rental home, and it drives me crazy- they are bedroom windows. I do appreciate the privacy but I want to be able to look out front from the living room to see what the kids are doing

Some trees, but also some sunny spots to grow a vegetable garden

A master bath and separate laundry area. It is much easier to change wall color, flooring, decor type stuff than to add a room or move walls. I would look for the layout you want at a price you can live with and worry about the rest later.

:iagree:to a point. I'm migraine prone. Colours can induce a migraine very, very rapidly in me. I couldn't live in a house that made me ill, even just for a few days. Same with lighting. Tube lighting would have to be ripped out and replaced before I moved in.

For us, b/c we're looking at moving several hrs from where we are now, its a factor...making changes before we move in could end up very costly.

*I would love to be in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by acres and acres of pasture and trees.

*4 bedrooms, 2 bath

*2 levels only, main floor and basement.

*Large family room that would be used as a school room.

*Mudroom to contain all the mud, coats, shoes ets. Must have benches and plenty of easy to clean/reach storage options.

* Large laundry room with a folding table in the middle, if the room was large enough to carve out a corner for my sewing stuff even better!

* Established fruit trees and berries

* A garage

Simple stuff really but man it is expensive to find it! ;)

I love my large laundry room. I would never want to give that up. Also, I would want an attached garage. We do have an attached garage but it is only a one car garage. We have all the kids bikes, camping gear, lawn mower, etc. in there. So I guess I would like a large, attached garage.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

My ideal house would be around 2000 sq ft. I would like around an acre with half wooded and I would like an attached 2 car garage with a bonus room over it (or a basement, some separate space for a kid rec room).

I would like 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (maybe 2 1/2 but I hate cleaning extra bathrooms). I don't want huge bathrooms, ours right now is the size of a small bedroom and such a waste of space. I do not want a formal living or dining room (just an eat in kitchen and great room).

Oh I also forgot, we have to have central air, mostly for ds's asthma. We are all getting tired of the stinkin hot summers here with no central air (we all hate air conditioners except for sleeping)

also a pool , we would really like one

also a nice quiet neighborhood, not near any main streets, dh DOES NOT want to hear lots of traffic when sitting outside, he wants to only hear birds lol.

DH and I married when in our mid-to-late thirties, and neither of us had owned a home before, so when we took the plunge, we opted to buy our first and likely only house - so we were picky in the process because we don't want to have to move again. For the most part, we have the house of our dreams - lakeside, acreage, woods, rural but not too far away from town, 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, amazing laundry room, perfect main floor for entertaining, huge kitchen - lots of everything we wanted.

We both agree that if money were no object, we'd love to re-do the dock we have to shelter the jon boat he uses to fish on the lake....as it is now, the boat lives by the driveway parking pad, on its trailer, and he drives it down when he fishes so he doesn't have to bail after rain.

We'd also love a pool with an outdoor cabanda with bathroom & shower - way too expensive though, so we figure we'll continue with the swim club/gym we belong to that has facilities and pools since it'll take 50+ years of membership with that to cost as much as just putting in what we want.

DH would love to have a gym in-home....we have space to do it, but right now it's not exactly a priority financially, so maybe some day.

I'd love to have dedicated space to use just for homeschooling - we have the space to do this, but it's in our lower level and I know we won't go down daily.....so we use the dining room - central location and easier since I won't add on to our house, it's already too big IMO.

At some point I'd like to re-do my office to be the library - rip out everything and start over with built-ins all around the room to house all the books on the same type shelves (I have a mix now of built in and stand-alone book shelves). Again, not a priority, but a wish in the future.

I'd also love to have an amazing playroom for the boys - we have one room dedicated to be the playroom downstairs - but it's so disorganized IMO.....I'd love to do built-ins and everything matching, but that won't likely happen, so a playroom that's at least functional is better than no playroom!

A home that doesn't need repairs! We made the mistake of not getting a home inspection (never again!). We had a regular real estate agent that wasn't a buyer's broker (meaning she represented the seller, and the sellers re agent represented the seller, and long distance us had no one). She told me she would inspect the home when I asked when our inspection was. We had just had our current home inspected and I was waiting for ours..... So every extra cent was spent fixing the broken house, it had many issues. So get an inspection, and make sure your real estate represents YOU.

We just bought a house last week (cautious yay) and ultimately wound abandoning all of our original preferences except:

(1) Location (wanted a close-in neighborhood with lots of families around, but also on a quiet street)

(2) Usable yard

(3) Enough rooms -- not necessarily bedrooms, but separate rooms -- that we can have both a (shared) study and a space for guests.

Less trees, not wooded--too many ticks, bugs/mosquitos, not enough light

Privacy without being in the middle of nowhere.

Bigger bathrooms--Would be nice if the master bath has a garden tub with jets and a shower. I'd like one of those nontextured glass enclosed ones--

Separate laundry room on first floor with enough room to set up a folding table.

Entry off garage so we don't come directly into the house that way (into the laundry room is fine, if it's big enough as a mudroom/laundry combo)

Enough closet space

Nice neighbors

We have most of that right now. I want to redo the floors and add space to the house we actually own, and would love it to be in another

location, but the house we live in (Rectory) is pretty ok, except being in the woods and having a basement laundry.

What we wanted:

Living room *and* family room

Dining room *and* eat-in kitchen

En suite master bath

Minimum 4 bedrooms

Lots of closets

Counter space in kitchen

Laundry room

Attached 2-car garage

Central air

Not a fixer-upper

Nice-sized lot, acreage not necessary

Gas water heater, hook-ups for dryer, kitchen

We were able to find all of that, plus a little more:

Master plus 3 bedrooms, gameroom, two bathrooms (plus en suite) upstairs; bathroom plus extra room (used as an office now, can be used as a bedroom later) downstairs.

However, I do wish there was less open floor plan; sound wafts up to the master bedroom through the two-story entry; kitchen noise sometimes makes watching TV in the family room difficult (albeit not for long, but still...). We're happy, though. :-)

We have been looking for 2 years for a house that fits our needs. They were

1. A little out of town, but not far since I am frequently oncall at work and have a 30 min response time.

2. A little land...1 or more acres

3. At least 4 bedrooms

4. A space for homeschool not to be in a dining room

5. Space enough for my sewing room, either a big master bedroom with space or a separate bedroom

6. MOST of all a shop for DH to work or space to build a shop.

7. OK, really most important...something we can afford!

That said we found a few houses that sort of fit the bill, one house had a wonderful shop but the house was so dated it had metal kitchen cabinets! DH can build a winning race car engine but woodworking/remodeling...forget it! I don't have time to remodel a house either. And it was in a flood zone.

We found another house that was just right in the house but the shop was basically a shell of a shop and needed a lot of work to get it fixed up. We put a bid in, it was a short sale and we were 2nd bidders. We didn't get it.

Then we found heaven!!! 2300 sq (we are in 1174 now) 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, a 2nd living room in basement...aka school room!!! a 40x60 shop almost all complete/insulated/sheetrocked on the inside on 1 acre 5 minutes from town. We close on May 20th!!! The best part is that the 5th bedroom will be just my sewing room!!!! The house is even painted in earthtones which I love. Only one bedroom needs a little work but it is going to be my stepdaughter's room so she can fix it (mainly paint) how ever she wants. My sewing room is paneling (ICK) but nothing a little paint can't cure. I am so excited I can't stand it! We can have chickens there so I have 9 chicks in my livingroom in a horse trough. They are so bugging cute!

ETA: right now our washer/dryer are in the kitchen. YUCK! Our new house has a HUGE laundry room/storage room.

Edited by misidawnrn

After living in a 140+ yr. old house for the last 12 years, here's what I want in a house:

~closets, lots and lots of them

~one level--no more staircases please, especially not winding ones

~a couple of acres to escape from nosy, meddling neighbors

~solid surface floors, particularly wood--no carpet

~a huge garage, enough to store bikes, lawn equipment, outside furniture in the winter, and 2 cars. Make it a barn :D

Edited by Paintedlady

Since we just moved in November and I swear I'm never moving again I guess this is what I want in a house.

a cottage with character

dark hardwood floors

a cute deck

detached garage (although I'd tear up the concrete and put in an inground swimming pool if I could have my way)

dormer room

original 1920s charm

someday we'd like to rip off the vinyl siding and install cedar siding.

We'll add a 2nd bath downstairs and finish off the rest of the basement.

Privacy - inside and out. So at least 2 (mostly wooded) acres and 5 bedrooms.

At least 2 bathrooms. Ideally, 2.5; one master, one for the kids, one for guests.

A quiet area for school work, that fits at least 2 kids at a time without making it easy for them to provoke each other.

A kitchen large enough to allow kids to help cook and clean up. (My current kitchen is 8'x7', lol)

There's plenty more on my wish list, but those are the top priorities.

Mine is a big list of no-nos.

No suburbs.

No neighbours.

No obnoxious big-a$$ garage sticking out obscuring the house.

No cookie-cutter developer build.

No open-plan blandness.

Nothing south of the 49th parallel.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I want less square footage. Currently we have 2400sq ft with a basement that isn't used. DH and I were just commenting the other day that we both kind of miss our first house. There were things it didn't have that we'd still like to have and it was in a terrible location, but it was a cozy 1100sq ft. I'd like a little more space then that but the house we have now is a lot to clean and just doesn't have the same homey feeling the old house did.

Must haves are:

Laundry/mud room preferably off the kitchen and large enough for the deep freeze. Currently we have a nice big laundry room with room for the freezer but no mudroom.

3 bedrooms, one of them a master with full bath.

An open kitchen/ dining/ living room with a roomy kitchen and breakfast bar. Currently we have what is often called a one-butt kitchen.

Ouside city limits with at least an acre, preferably a little more. I don't want to see any other houses when I look out my doors or windows, but I don't want to be completely isolated either.

Somewhere with lots of land and no neighbors, where the kids can roam free. We'd have a barn with animals, and a large garden. The house would be one story, modest size, new construction, open floor plan, and lots of windows. :001_smile: One day.

DH wants acreage. Lots and lots.

I want fewer bathrooms. Yep, you heard that right. Right now we have a sort-of strange house that was built as a bed-and-breakfast. SIX bathrooms is far too many to keep clean.

Actually, I would be happier with a smaller house, too. But I need to keep the laundry/mud room. It is a life saver here.

You read my mind. Nine children? TWO bathrooms would be perfect. Three is simply too many for me, though with a two story I'm not sure which I'd get rid of.

I've lived in a *very* small house and our current house is over double it. I preferred the small house. I'm REALLY a small house person, with the exception of a LARGE, eat in kitchen.

Acreage with fencing preferred.

Mudroom w/ storage for chore boots.

And, if it's a two story, I like my upstairs laundry room. :)

Outbuildings preferred.

Woodstove.

NO carpet. Anywhere. Ever. "Old-fashioned" wood floors with all of their character so I don't flip out everytime the children add a new nick or dent.

Built in bookshelves

Laundry room, a mud room, a garage (attached), and a bathroom for the master bedroom. I want my own bathroom. I also like wood floors, I dislike open floor plans. I like a big kitchen with lots of cabinets.

I don't like a lot of trees around my house. I'm always worried about trees falling on the house in a storm, or the tree having an issue where it needs to be cut down. It's expensive to deal with trees.

We just moved from 3 acres to a small city lot. We're on the corner and there are parking lots across the street front and side. On the side is the closest neighbor we've ever had. I thought it would freak me out, I like privacy. 3.99 mini blinds create a wonderful sense of privacy. Sheesh, they're never home anyway.

Everything I want in a house I have with these exceptions:

It's not finished.

It's isolated. In a remote state with few people and very far from a good size city.

Very far from family, including my oldest. I hate that.

The house and the acerage I LOVE. Well, except for the varmints, the wind and how difficult it is to get much to grow.

we are looking to move, here is what we want:

nice wooded lot, lots of trees

modern kitchen and bathrooms

hardwood floors, I would love it if there was no carpet at all

lots of windows, love it sunny

3 or 4 bedrooms

family/tv room that is not open plan (can't stand to hear the tv blaring from the rest of the house)

I think that is about it

• Kitchen sink needs to face a window or a large, open area of the house. I'm tired of looking at a wall.

• Large dining area, preferably not in its own room. I need room to set up an extra table at the end (even a card table) when we have more people over for a meal (currently 14 people when all of dh's family is here)

• Larger or more open basement than what we have, plus more basement windows. Our basement is so divided up into rooms that it feels really small. The only two basement windows are in two of those rooms, so no natural light reaches the main basement area.

• Larger master bath. Ours is tiny, tiny.

• An adequately-sized room for a schoolroom, with plenty of natural light.

• If the house has an addition, I need to know more about its floor insulation. What's under the floor? Will it be freezing in the winter? (a problem we currently have.)

• 5+ acres :)

My dream home...

1 story

excellent heater / air conditioner

excellent windows and doors (Lots of windows)

beautiful kitchen

big bathrooms at least 3 (I want one all to myself.)

no carpeting

a roof that isn't shingle

brick

Tons of lighting features

A four season or sun room

fireplace

Master bedroom with massive closets

nice property with little yard care...I like to have to scream to get my neighbors attention.

2 car garage

walking trail with water near by

walking distance to shopping

Big laundry room

AND I Would LOVE a location where snow is a novelty:D.

Lots of outlets

Double doors and the house pre-designed for retirement living.

Edited by Tammyla

But....wouldn't mind:

A larger kitchen

More bedrooms on the same level

and More closet space

Everything else I love

We live in the country on an acre lot with fields on all but 1 side.

The house consists of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (2 beds and one bath on each floor and a large laundry room with walk in pantry in the basement).

That being said we are currently only three people. Next weekend we will be increasing that number by 5 as my husbands mother and siblings are moving in for an undetermined amount of time due to job loss. So this might change is a few weeks.

Storage, storage, storage! A pantry, a coat closet, linen closet, and built-in closets in all bedrooms. Plus built-in shelves and cabinets in the garage.

A great room, rather than separate living and family rooms. And the living area should be separate enough from the bedrooms that the TV or conversation doesn't bother anyone in the bedrooms.

Wendi

Here is the list I keep on my ipad. I live in a duplex my parents own. I need to move. So, I started a list so I had something to give to God;)

Home wish & Prayer List

Wood floors

heated shop for Evan <-----the Mr

woodstove in home

two floors or seperate areas to spread out

pantry area

laundry room

no tile anywhere

nothing blue

covered porch

place to put shoes and coats when entering house

safe yard away from heavy traffic

bright and open yard

sunny main living areas

big windows

new windows

no blinds

dishwasher

homeschool room or area

Edited by Hausunterricht

I live in my parents duplex. I lived here as a teen and moved back a few years ago. There is blue tile and blue carpets. There is carpet in the bathrooms. what is worse is that the duplexes are almost identical. So, my parent's have the same thing. I will never live in blue again.

I don't care much about the interior; I figure I can configure or upgrade anything I want, if it's that important to me. What I do want most in a house is the one thing I can't really alter: location.

I want to be on a small road, ideally a cul-de-sac but any non-thoroughfare would be fine. I'd like to be within walking or biking distance of a park or schoolyard (big grassy area to play) but not directly across the street from or backing up to either. I'd like to be on a roomy plot, but not so large as to require a major commitment in upkeep - maybe .75 to 1 acre, not too woody but not without some mature trees and landscaping.

I can fix any house to my specifications, so long as the lot and location are right!