Menu

Ladies: What kind of bag do you carry?

For the first time in several years, I am looking for a non-diaper bag. I want something small enough that I can carry it with me everywhere, but big enough to carry, say, a notebook and a book or two, as I often find myself waiting at dr appts and the like. Everything I have seen locally just seems....not right. (Not surprising, since we only have WalMart here.) So, I am expanding my search to include the internet. Does anyone have a bag that they just love?

For the first time in several years, I am looking for a non-diaper bag. I want something small enough that I can carry it with me everywhere, but big enough to carry, say, a notebook and a book or two, as I often find myself waiting at dr appts and the like. Everything I have seen locally just seems....not right. (Not surprising, since we only have WalMart here.) So, I am expanding my search to include the internet. Does anyone have a bag that they just love?

Check out "Healthy Back Bags." They come in at least three sizes I remember. The medium and largest size are rather roomy.

I love Vera Bradley bags. They are pretty, durable, and they come in so many sizes. I recently tried going back to a department store purse (bought at Kohls, made by Nine West), and the lining began ripping inside within 4 months. I told dh I'm done with that and sticking with my Veras because they last for years.

I've had a denim purse from Walmart for… two years? Something like that. It's kinda faded and stuff now, but nothing has yet fallen apart. Surprisingly. I'm rough on purses/backpacks/whatever.

I actually bought a furry purse for $6 at Claire's today, mainly to see the expression on dd14's face when I brought it home. She lived up to my expectations and more with wide eyes and a "Moooooooom! You can't carry that thing around in public!!" . . . oh yes I can. :D

Lately, 2 Samsonites underneath my eyeballs.

Seriously, I have an inexpensive, black satchel from Target. I can't even find a brand name on it.

I have several more expensive handbags at home, but this is the one I'm most comfortable with.

I have two - for winters, I carry a medium-size purse with a shouler strap. Nothing fancy. Summers I have used a small purple backpack, but I am thinking about upgrading this year to a leather one (easier to keep clean).

My DD17 carries a purse that is exactly the right size for carrying her softball cleats, mitt, and a water bottle. She picked out by taking all those things into the store and trying them in purses until she found the perfect one that held them all...... :tongue_smilie:

I have a small, leather backpack handbag. I really prefer to be hands free when walking around and I already have scoliosis from carrying a schoolbag on one shoulder in my childhood, so this is better for my posture too. I keep it light- my wallet, phone, reading glasses, notebook and pen. I can fit a book in there if I want.

I have a Burberry bag that is many years old. It is indestructible.

My daughter loves loves loves Vera Bradley bags. I had one but after several months it started looking shabby.

For the summer I usually switch to a LeSport Sac with some crazy print.

I really really want a Louis Vuitton bag. I last bought one when I was childless and single. For the moment it is only a dream.

I love Vera Bradley bags. They are pretty, durable, and they come in so many sizes. I recently tried going back to a department store purse (bought at Kohls, made by Nine West), and the lining began ripping inside within 4 months. I told dh I'm done with that and sticking with my Veras because they last for years.

Funny, I was just drooling over Vera Bradley bag, and I am not a pocketbook person, but just recently started using a real pocketbook after years and years of diaper bags.

I love this one, but just can't talk myself into it right now because of the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Vera-Bradley-Villager/dp/B004EMY6QO/ref=pd_sbs_a_4

I may cave, though. Part of my, "gotta pamper myself once in a while" phase I'm going through.

lisa

My current bag is technically a diaper bag, the SkipHop bag that Target carries, but it really makes a fabulous tote bag. It's big enough to hold several books/notebooks, and it has lots of pockets, which I love for keys and water bottles. I will be able to use it long after I'm done with diapers and not have it scream "baby." (It's three years old, cost all of about $30, and is still in excellent shape -- and I'm not one who is gentle with my bags at all.)

I have this bag. I've had it almost a year and it wears well, it goes with everything, and is just the right size.

Love the Sak! I have this one:

http://www.thesak.com/Silverlake_Flap/pd/cl/1573/np/206/p/1269.html

(Except in a tan leather that they apparently no longer carry.)

It's super comfortable, because I wear it cross-body, and it holds my daytimer, wallet, a bag of make-up, my kindle and my phone quite easily. I don't have a lot of purses and this is the first one I've ever had that I would call "comfortable." I have narrow shoulders, so I have to sort of hunch my shoulder to keep a purse from slipping or carry it by the strap, which hurts my back after awhile. I plan to buy another one just like this one when mine wears out. :001_smile:

Another Vera Bradley lover here. I love the Vera (each bag has a name) so much that I bought a second one for my laptop. Nice deep pockets around the sides (I think there are 6 or 8) and then open space to fit a magazine, book, skein of yarn, sippy cup, pull-up and an extra Diet Coke.

I bought a Hobo cross-body bag very similar to this: http://www.hobobags.com/Camilla/pd/np/390/p/1258.html

I spent the money to get one that will always look nice so that I can leave it on in all sorts of situations. My car was broken into and purse stolen awhile back, and I don't want to go through that again. Now I always carry it with me--no matter what.

I love Stone Mountain bags. Lots of styles, colors, and organization. QVC carries several of them (you can watch video clips and read reviews), but I've ordered several "like new" from ebay. Ebags has a terrific selection, too. Enjoy shopping!

http://www.ebags.com/category/stone-mountain/20011618?itemsperpage=100&nso=1&ns=order_count&ne=300&brand_info=true&order=#

Another great bag for organization: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?lastterm=piazza

I have a smaller messenger bag that holds my wallet, phone, keys, pen, and thing of gum. The strap is adjustable so I can wear it over one shoulder OR at varying lengths across my torso, depending on my outfit. I can shove an envelope or something else small into there, too, as needed. I've seen ones like these everywhere from Kohl's to Target, in every fabric imaginable. I like the nylon because it wipes clean and can be dressed up or down.

I always "need" to have a book and notebook with me, just because. I keep a larger messenger bag always stocked with those, plus a bottle of water, and other non-essential but just-in-case type of knick-knacks (cards for the kids, a box of colored pencils, drawing paper). I also keep a canvas tote by the door stocked with the same essentials, and into which I can also slip my smaller messenger bag if we're going somewhere like the park.

When I go into an appointment or something, I simply slip my smaller bag into the larger bag. We always refer to the smaller one as my "auxiliary" bag - as in, "Kids! Has anyone seen my auxiliary bag?!"

I actually have a lot of purses and bags, and will often switch around to suit an outfit or day's occasion. But I use my auxiliary bag and larger messenger bag as my general day-to-day stuff. Before that I used the auxiliary bag with a diaper bag. I've always been all about the auxiliary bag :D

Lately, 2 Samsonites underneath my eyeballs.

Seriously, I have an inexpensive, black satchel from Target. I can't even find a brand name on it.

I have several more expensive handbags at home, but this is the one I'm most comfortable with.

HAHAHA! The eyeball thing!!! Now that's funny!!!!

I know what you mean! I have had those lately.

Seriously I hate homeparty type things,but the 31 one bags sure are cute.

Vera Bradley. I switch around depending on the size I need that day. I love the duffel bag, too. You can throw them in the wash and they look great.

The duffel bag is the perfect ballet bag. When it gets stinky (with sweaty dance clothes and shoes) you can just wash it!

I am in love with my Lululemon bag. I bought it in September. My dad sent me $100 for my birthday so I splurged. I'm so glad I did. I've carried it every day since I bought it and it's fantastic. It's really light when it's empty. It's easy to carry and it holds a ton. It has great pockets for easy access, both inside and on the outside. I can find what I need fairly quickly (my last bag was a bottomless pit). It's also really sturdy. I love that I can carry very little in it, or pack it full of extra clothes, books, and snacks.

http://reviews.lululemon.com/7834/Fast_In_Flight_Bag/reviews.htm

A few years back, I got a Lunch Tote from the Coach outlet store (I think it was a present from DH that I bought for myself ;)). In a pinch, I can throw a book or a couple of thin notebooks into it, though they stick out the top. (I do that often.) Definitely not diaper bag, though it can also fit a diaper and travel wipes easily, along with wallet, phone, water bottle, epi-pen, and assorted receipts...

I've actually just started carrying a diaper bag again. But I'm still mourning my backpack. It was a grey Jansport backpack with a leather bottom, two roomy large pockets, a front pocket with pencil organizer and a small zippered pocket in front of that, a side water bottle pocket...I bought it at the Navy Exchange in Yokusuka in 1999 and it was big enough to hold my D&D books and clothes to last me a liberty weekend without returning to the ship. Later, it carried diapers, my college books, etc. It disappeared out of my car about a year and a half ago. I'm hoping to replace it with something similar next fall.

Another Vera Bradley fan. I love the Villager (which would easily carry notebooks), the Backpack, and the Hipster (for cross body/hands free. great on vacations). Most of my wardrobe is black and charcoal. Vera bags give me that bright splash of color!

Funny, I was just drooling over Vera Bradley bag, and I am not a pocketbook person, but just recently started using a real pocketbook after years and years of diaper bags.

I love this one, but just can't talk myself into it right now because of the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Vera-Bradley-Villager/dp/B004EMY6QO/ref=pd_sbs_a_4

I may cave, though. Part of my, "gotta pamper myself once in a while" phase I'm going through.

lisa

I never, ever buy Vera full price. Their website runs great specials and will often have free shipping for orders over $50. I can usually buy 2 bags that way (sometimes more :blushing:) with free shipping. Sign up for their e-mail specials or "like" them on facebook to see when the sales come up.

I have this bag. I've had it almost a year and it wears well, it goes with everything, and is just the right size.

I love this bag! I saw someone with it at the pool last summer and absolutely fell in love with it. But, my best friend gave me two of her old Fossil purses, so now I get to carry those around instead. :)

Way back with one child I was a bag snob, now I'm in love with the bags I pick up every season @ TJMaxx. I love TJ Maxx bags and housewares! And clothes for my kids. Sometimes clothes for me there. Oooo and definitely their shoes! I *love* TJMaxx (can you tell;).

A friend and I were discussing how we need a cool Mom bag that is stylish yet allows you to carry: cellphone, planner, small first aid kid, wipes, tissues, wallet, pens/pencils + the occasional Ninjago, lego guy, or matchbox car + lip gloss, and powder.

I never, ever buy Vera full price. Their website runs great specials and will often have free shipping for orders over $50. I can usually buy 2 bags that way (sometimes more :blushing:) with free shipping. Sign up for their e-mail specials or "like" them on facebook to see when the sales come up.

:iagree: I love Vera Bradley bags but I never, ever pay full price. I can't say the same for my dh though. I nearly croaked when I found the receipt for the one he bought me for Christmas. On a side note for those who don't know...Barnes & Noble carries a limited selection of Vera Bradley. They recently sent a coupon for 40% off any VB item, then gave me the usual 10% off on top of it!:D

I just bought a Haiku cross body shoulder bag (choco brown paisley) using the last of my Amazon gift cards from Christmas. My last bag lasted 8 years, I hope this one does:

http://www.zappos.com/haiku-by-sharon-eisenhauer-haiku-to-go-shoulder-bag-chocolate-brown-paisley

My daughter has an adorable Fossil Crossbody shoulder bag that looks almost just like this one. She found it at Goodwill for $2!

http://www.zappos.com/fossil-morgan-fabric-north-south-top-zip-floral

I just bought a Haiku cross body shoulder bag (choco brown paisley) using the last of my Amazon gift cards from Christmas. My last bag lasted 8 years, I hope this one does:

http://www.zappos.com/haiku-by-sharon-eisenhauer-haiku-to-go-shoulder-bag-chocolate-brown-paisley

My daughter has an adorable Fossil Crossbody shoulder bag that looks almost just like this one. She found it at Goodwill for $2!

http://www.zappos.com/fossil-morgan-fabric-north-south-top-zip-floral

I have the same bag. Don't you just love it? I do wish I could find a similar zip-top version though--especially when I pinch myself by closing it while not really paying attention. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I started out with Vera Bradley diaper bags, and have stuck with her line ever since. Currently I carry the Vera - probably a bit larger than you want but she has so many sizes and styles that you are sure to find what you want. FWIW I have had great success getting VB bags for a bit less on eBay! HTH!

One of my diaper bags was a Haiku messenger bag. Loved it, and had the same experience as you did -- very sturdy, lasted forever. Still have it; feeling nostalgic. Maybe I'll dig it back out for a work bag LOL.