Menu

How old is too old for jeans?

I say wear jeans as long as you believe you look good in them. The only thing I see as age-specific are certain fashions of jeans. Ripped-up jeans (though, truthfully, I hate them on everybody, but I digress), extreme fades, super skinnies, etc. look strange on someone older than, oh, say 22. :tongue_smilie:

Huh. I'm more than double age 22 and I wear of these. I just bought skinnies because I lost 15 pounds and they fit! Of course, I just put on purple eye shadow, so maybe I'm a bad example of old age. :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. I'm more than double age 22 and I wear of these. I just bought skinnies because I lost 15 pounds and they fit! Of course, I just put on purple eye shadow, so maybe I'm a bad example of old age. :tongue_smilie:

I bought some skinny ripped up jeans from PacSun late last year ($5 each!) and I can't wait to wear them this summer with my vintage Batman T-shirt.

Here' a link to my favorite look...

http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/16/autumn-mom-on-the-go-flop-proof-outfit-1/

I bought some skinny ripped up jeans from PacSun late last year ($5 each!) and I can't wait to wear them this summer with my vintage Batman T-shirt.

Here' a link to my favorite look...

http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/16/autumn-mom-on-the-go-flop-proof-outfit-1/

Sub in a pair of Chuck Taylors (my faves are black satin with pink flowers embroidered on them--so cute!) for the boots in the top look, and that could be me on any given day. :001_wub:

you mean like wearing a wool suit to go out to the barn? ;):lol:

Now that I think of it, Chuckie, I think you should go to the nearest Salvation Army and try to find a pair of TACKY polyester pants, the tackiest you can find, preferably with a bunch of pulls. Buy THOSE and wear them the next time you see your mom. Wear them with a blouse with a HUGE ruffle.

:lol:

:lol:

Christmas morning was interesting. She sent two outfits. One appropriate for a lady of a certain age, and the other appropriate for a 20-something club hopper.

I don't think she knows what to do with me. I must be at that in-between age I keep telling dd that she is in.

I will always wear jeans, but taking a break from them for a few weeks, which is unheard of for me. I'm 50, I admit it. 50 is not old. Too old for jeans is never. That's silly. I wear Gloria V's, they have the lycra spandex which I used to not like, but your mom is just jealous because she didn't keep wearing them. Or maybe she's just not a jeans type of gal.

I am 47 and I have never dressed for a "particular age." I try to look my best for my age...not dress where my husband or kids will be embarrassed but I think jeans are a universal clothing item and can be worn by all ages...wasn't aware that I would ever be too old to wear jeans!

My father once asked me when I was going to act my age and dress my age and I quickly replied, "hopefully never!" Both my husband and I have to remind ourselves that we are middle-aged because we don't feel it!

I color my hair and have since I was in my early 20s...I plan on pre-booking my hair appointment for my funeral...just like always...every 6 weeks.!

Wear what makes you feel good!

Um, never?

I don't expect to see mature gals wearing tight, extreme skinny-leg or low-rise jeans, but jeans are fine for any age!

And I'm with you on those elastic waisted denim pants. For me, never! But I think it's really about what's comfortable for the wearer and appropriate for the situation (ie, some circumstances may call for one to come off more, polished, maybe, kwim?).

I will wear jeans and whatever else I want until I drop dead in my tracks. I don't give a toot what anyone thinks. If my mom or anyone else said anything insulting to me about it, I would tell them to get over themselves and get a life that doesn't revolve around nitpicking other people's clothes. Probably the older I get, the more fashion "rules" I will break. I am sort of planning it that way ;)

I am 47 and I have dressed for a "particular age." I try to look my best for my age...not dress where my husband or kids will be embarrassed but I think jeans are a universal clothing item and can be worn by all ages...wasn't aware that I would ever be too old to wear jeans!

My father once asked me when I was going to act my age and dress my age and I quickly replied, "hopefully never!" Both my husband and I have to remind ourselves that we are middle-aged because we don't feel it!

I color my hair and have since I was in my early 20s...I plan on pre-booking my hair appointment for my funeral...just like always...every 6 weeks.!

Wear what makes you feel good!

I went to a book club get-together in January, and I couldn't help but notice that EVERY SINGLE WOMAN in attendance (about 20 of us) was in jeans. These are women ranging in age from about 35-early fifties. All of these women send their children to private school (except me because we're hsing).

Your mom isn't wrong, she's just coming from a different generational perspective. Maybe you could put your hair in a beehive and don some cat's eyeglasses and see how she likes that.

:D

I haven't been able to wear real jeans in 2 years. :glare:

After years of wearing almost nothing but jeans I developed some sort of reaction to the metals in the buttons of several different brands of jeans. I got the nastiest rash I've ever seen.

I'd still wear them if I could though. My mom is 52 and she still wears them.

Um, not 43! :lol:

I wanted to say "never," but then I thought about how it would look for an 80 year old woman to be wearing jeans. It would look funny to me, but that may be a generational thing (i.e. women who are 80 today didn't wear jeans when they were younger, so they aren't inclined to wear them now; women of my generation have grown up wearing them, so it might be perfecty common then).

Ultimately, I don't want someone telling me what to wear, so I say, wear what you want! :001_smile: But no, you absolutely would not look odd (and I am ten years your junior).

My mother is one of those who really believe there is an age limit to wearing jeans or wearing a long loose hair (a long braided / in a bun hair is "acceptable") and who really believe it's not "modest" and "presentable" after a certain age. :glare:

When I was in my last year of high school (!) she started giving me all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle hints that she thinks I should finally quit wearing jeans. She had all those talks about how "serious" people should dress and behave as opposed to how "children" do, and how women, especially, past certain age, should be aiming for "refined elegance" in dress, and stuff along those lines.

I still wore jeans often (and I still wore my long hair unbraided and loose at times). :D

Then she thought that I would at last quit with those things by mid to late twenties / marriage. With time I did slowly get rid of most of my jeans, wore them rarely, but I still owned a pair which I, to my mother's utmost horror, wore even after I got married for a while. I guess I stopped about my late twenties / early thirties, I don't think I wore any in a... while. :D

But I don't think there's an age where you "should" stop wearing them, as long as they fit you well.

My mother is one of those who really believe there is an age limit to wearing jeans or wearing a long loose hair (a long braided / in a bun hair is "acceptable") and who really believe it's not "modest" and "presentable" after a certain age. :glare:

When I was in my last year of high school (!) she started giving me all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle hints that she thinks I should finally quit wearing jeans. She had all those talks about how "serious" people should dress and behave as opposed to how "children" do, and how women, especially, past certain age, should be aiming for "refined elegance" in dress, and stuff along those lines.

I still wore jeans often (and I still wore my long hair unbraided and loose at times). :D

Then she thought that I would at last quit with those things by mid to late twenties / marriage. With time I did slowly get rid of most of my jeans, wore them rarely, but I still owned a pair which I, to my mother's utmost horror, wore even after I got married for a while. I guess I stopped about my late twenties / early thirties, I don't think I wore any in a... while. :D

But I don't think there's an age where you "should" stop wearing them, as long as they fit you well.

But how do you slog? Assuming you do your own housework-how do you kneel beside the tub and scrub?

I should just face it-I'm too messy to not wear jeans.

If you don't believe it, let me tell you about the other morning when I was making green shakes, decided to pour some extra water from the Brita in. The lid then fell off, into the blender, and chunks of plastic and green viscous fluid went splatting all over me and my kitchen.

What outfit can survive that but jeans and t shirts? :tongue_smilie:

You are only too old for jeans if they are uncomfortable. One grandma wore them well into her 80s. She did gradually move into elastic waists when her fingers lost strength. My other grandmother stopped wearing them in her 60s. Her legs were very arthritic and she preferred to wear pants with more stretch in them instead.

But, what do you wear if you are out with a chainsaw taking care of the tree that fell across the driveway? Or, out in the muddy woods hiking? Good grief, no jeans? no long loose hair? Whoa. Quite a culture clash going here.:svengo:

But how do you slog? Assuming you do your own housework-how do you kneel beside the tub and scrub?

I should just face it-I'm too messy to not wear jeans.

If you don't believe it, let me tell you about the other morning when I was making green shakes, decided to pour some extra water from the Brita in. The lid then fell off, into the blender, and chunks of plastic and green viscous fluid went splatting all over me and my kitchen.

What outfit can survive that but jeans and t shirts? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not EsterMaria, but I haven't worn a pair of jeans in 10 years. I find jeans uncomfortable. When others wear jeans, I wear yoga pants. When gardening, I wear a tougher workout pant made of parachute type material.