If You Could Afford Private School...

Private School - yes or no?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Private School - yes or no?

• YES, I would seriously consider it.
    • NO, I can afford it but prefer homeschooling
    • NO, I can afford it, but there's not a good private school near
    • NO, I can't afford it but I'd choose HS'ing anyway

NOPE!! I went to private schools and we also got in plenty of trouble, teachers still play favorites, peer pressure still exists and being in a classroom full of same age peers still is unnatural---even at a private school. And usually private schools focus on academics to an unhealthy extent----but I sure do wish we have a lively homeschool community here to alleviate the feelings of weirdness and isolation! :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. We couldn't afford it, anyway, but even if we could, I honestly don't think we would truly do it. ;) I'm too.... what's the word? Rebellious? :glare: I was locked into an institutional setting (i.e., school) for so long that, now that I can finally be the captain of my own ship, I don't want to be tied in to any school's agenda, not even a private one.

I do think about it some days. :D My husband knows what kind of day it's been when he comes home to find me looking at this website. Then I realize how much of a hassle it would be to actually do this every day... go to Princeton, come home, go back up, come home, do homework, sign forms, pack lunch, etc., etc., etc.....

At this point, it is a blessing to be able to homeschool. I really, really, really believe that we are thriving with our self-imposed routine and our freedom. I might see it differently in a few years, but maybe I won't....

In Europe, at least in most of it, I would be much more likely to put kids into a good, solid public school with a classical program, even if imperfect as public schools tend to be. In fact, I would tend to outright avoid private schools in many European countries for plethora of reasons - and none of them financial ones.

In the Anglo-American world, with much older and stronger tradition of private schooling, sadly, I have to concede I would indeed be much readier to private-school my children than to public-school them. If homeschooling were not an option for any reason, my children would either be in the least bad private school around, either - if old enough and mature enough - sent to Europe for lycee.

Homeschooling is not so much a lifestyle choice for us as is an academic need. It's a mix of two things - us stemming from a different academic tradition and a different educational framework, which we find important to transmit to our children, and in the other hand, our children being very receptive of such an education and the type of schooling offered here not suiting their needs as we see it. We are not anti-school here (well... depends, but we don't put homeschooling automatically above institution in each and every instance, and recognize strenghts and weaknesses of both), but it borders impossible for us to find a school we consider fit in the US, even among private and international ones. Europe is a different boat, the reason to continue homeschooling is mostly sentimental in nature, then habit and the fact that kids have meanwhile "outgrown" that system too in many of its aspects and would feel limited by it too, while we can maybe respond to their needs better outside of the institution - even if it's the institution we support for the most part.

So, in conclusion, I don't see my children in a private school in the vast majority of imaginable circumstances for us.

Edited by Ester Maria

I'm somewhere between the second and third choice. There are some nice private schools here, and we can afford all but the nicest (which we wouldn't do anyway because of their political bent.) We have visited several and dd has shadowed at two. We decided that homeschooling was a better option.

Now if we moved near someplace like Veritas, Logos, Highlands, or any other very suitable classical school, we would probably use them.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Now if we moved near someplace like Veritas, Logos, Highlands, or any other very suitable classical school, we would probably use them.

:iagree:

Homeschooling is my first choice for pre-K-to grade 8, but I would send big kids to a classical school if possible. (We have no such school here, and I couldn't afford it if we did, but I daydream now and then.)

My big boys would like to spend more time with other teens who are being classically educated, and I would like to hand over the rhetoric level teaching to someone else.

I went to an "excellent" private school and I was bullied mercilessly. I was supposed to be learning about the love of God and I was learning about the cruelty of humanity. That 10 year old girl grew up believing that God didn't love her - that she wasn't good enough - that those message of love and hope did not apply to her. So, no, I would not choose a school, public or private, unless I didn't have other options.

It depends on the type of school and the grade levels. I really want to home school my future children for several reasons, one of which is definitely academic benefits.

I would consider a Montessori Community for my very young child, I would consider a language immersion school if it were the right sort. I would consider a couple of other models or types of school by grade but ideally, I want to home school K*-8 at least and we'd do High School on a case by case basis.

(*I don't really like the idea of Kindergarten, I accept it as a social norm, but I the term itself has relatively no-real meaning to me. The first grade, in my opinion, should be FIRST grade.)

No.

While we could afford private schools, I would not consider them unless I was unable to continue homeschooling for some reason.

For me, it's not just academics, it's the fact that I genuinely LOVE having my kids around me. I love teaching them, learning along with them, and instilling a love for learning in them.

The flexibility homeschooling affords us is another plus; we tend to be a bit impulsive at times, and like to load up the kids and take off for a few days to get away :001_smile:

All that aside, I am very focused on academics. It's extremely important to me that my children are fully prepared for college and I strive to give them a first-rate education.

Depends on the school. I HS mostly for academic reasons, so if they can truly meet that need better than I & there were no other issues (social problems, etc), then yes. Dd's name is down for possible enrollment in a charter school here--the only one I've checked out that really truly seems like they could meet her academic needs & they are also extremely arts-heavy (dance, art, music, drama, multiple foreign languages, etc), which would be like a dream for her.

None of the answers fit.

I would consider a private high school if I could not longer hs and if it would benefit my child.

I won't consider a private elementary school at this point.

Any private high school around here worth considering starts at about 25k for day school. My youngest has no need of school at this time.

Edited by LibraryLover

It would have to be an amazing private school! I vote "no."

Even thinking of Highlands (which I consider drool-worthy), I have one dc who would flourish with that structure/rigor and one who would flounder (and the jury is still out on ds4). I'm going to have to keep my little flounder home to keep him doing rigorous academics.

No. I think of homeschooling as "family-centered education" and you can't get that in any school, public or private. I taught kindergarten, 1st and 4th grades, and middle school English in private Christian schools. The social dynamic in a private school is very similar to a public school (attended public school K-12 and public university) and that is definitely not what I want for my kids.

There is no academic advantage, imho, that trumps the negative social and spiritual aspects of a school environment (and I'm not just talking bad behavior either - I'm referring to the soul-sapping effects of a communal education as well).

If I could afford an expensive private school for my children, I would spend that money on travel. Experiencing the world up close is a better education that reading about it in books.

:iagree::iagree:I would spend it on housekeeping and babysitting (you know, so I could go to the gym twice a week in the morning, or DH and I could go on a date, or I could work with DD without the little one interrupting, or so DD could be in a group of kids to play a couple of times a week, not to get away from my kids for extended periods of time).

I didn't vote but I wanted to say that I removed my kid from private school to homeschool him. In the private setting he learned about infidelity, drunkenness and oral sex. He also learned to fear his first grade teacher, a 20 year old whom only liked girls. He learned that there are rules in the school that don't have to be followed, and that if you tattle on the bully who's sending you and your friends home from school, you'll be punished for bullying.

Oh, and it was a Christian private school (the most popular around) and he was in kindergarden, pulled out six weeks into first grade.

We can't afford private school where we are now, which is part of why we decided to try homeschooling. But we're moving soon and there is a fantastic private school there that we could afford. If we hadn't started homeschooling it would have been a no-brainer to send the kids there, but now we're all spoiled by the whole custom-education thing, and DH, bless his heart, is absolutely convinced that I can do a better job than even the best of schools. :001_smile: (I am somewhat less convinced on that score, but we'll see.)

It's nice to know that there is a good option there, though, if for whatever reason homeschooling stops working for us. For now, though, we're sticking with what has been working.

Yes, I would, for some of them at least.

There is a school for dyslexia/ADD in the city where we are moving that I would send them to in a heartbeat if I could. It is only 1/2 day, though, so we would homeschool for the rest. There are many private schools there, including a classical school, that would be great for my 2 dd's (I realize the apostrophe is misplaced but can't figure out to pluralize an abbreviation - my apologies to the kittens.)

In my "Powerball" dream, we could even hire someone to help me so that I could teach more effectively. I really love Highland Latin School and they would probably do better than I (using their programs.)

At the same time, I realize that there are downsides to schools - even good ones, especially in the social arena.:glare: There is something to be said for the family unity that happens in homeschooling, especially when outside activities that involve grade separation are limited.

I probably should have answered, "Maybe.";)

Unfortunately I can't really answer the poll because with 3 kids there are almost 3 different answers. Our almost-15 year old is a yes. Next year I really think I'm going to seriously consider outside school foe him. However the only options around here are one college prep, expensive private school (not for him) or multiple Christian schools (not much of an option for me).

However, with the almost-13 year old and 4 year old I can't see me choosing outside school of any kind for either of them.

No. I think of homeschooling as "family-centered education" and you can't get that in any school, public or private. I taught kindergarten, 1st and 4th grades, and middle school English in private Christian schools. The social dynamic in a private school is very similar to a public school (attended public school K-12 and public university) and that is definitely not what I want for my kids.

There is no academic advantage, imho, that trumps the negative social and spiritual aspects of a school environment (and I'm not just talking bad behavior either - I'm referring to the soul-sapping effects of a communal education as well).

If I could afford an expensive private school for my children, I would spend that money on travel. Experiencing the world up close is a better education that reading about it in books.

The soul-sapping effects of a communal education. Wow!! I might have to change my answer. I'm encouraged to keep on keeping on. Not that I can afford private high school but sometimes wishing I could saps more energy than I can spare. Thank you.

Yes, I would, for some of them at least.

snip snip snip stuff Renee wrote

I probably should have answered, "Maybe.";)

That's where I am at. Some. My youngest...she would do well in a particular private high school, my older dd, less so.

I simply can't make sweeping statements about one sort of education when so many diverse needs are involved. So far, hsing is amazing, and has been for nearly severl years.

I would never rule out changes, especially given what is available to us.

We may head out to the west coast for a year or so (due to dh work), when youngest ds graduates high school, or we may not (dh would continue to fly back & forth). Hsing allows us such wonderful flexibility. If we don't do that, I think my youngest will benefit greatly trying something new schooling-wise, and being challenged in different ways.

We shall see, and we are open.

Edited by LibraryLover

:iagree: I love this post...

Other.

It would totally depend on the school - there are circumstances in which I would consider it.

Yes. And work schedules matter.

Currently we are all only able to travel with dh when our teen son (oldest is 22 and has a schedule none of us can figure!lol) has vacation. That's the downside of school; they have to attend. ;) When we were all hschooling, we could go with dh, whenever. My kids have traveled frequently because dh travels as part of his work. (We have many FF miles and free hotel rooms.) We can also avoid travel during summer months when everything is insane with other folks' academic schedules.

We will have 3 years of freedom between our youngest ds graduating school, and before we have to consider whether youngest dd would benefit from a private high school.

I am so looking forward to that! Currently, when the girls and I travel with dh, my father comes to stay with our son. I am happy my ds get so much from his school music program. (We could never give that to him at home.) But freedom is good, too!! Grrrrrrr!!

Edited by LibraryLover

I want to say no, but honestly, if I could afford it (and there was a good school near us, which there is) , DD would probably be in private school. Homeschooling is a struggle for us. I *love* teaching my daughter, and in my dream world I'm a full time homeschooler, BUT, (and there's always a but!) as a single parent who is also going to school full time myself, I struggle with things like time management, staying on top of everything that needs to be done, and finding/paying a babysitter. (Although, if I can afford private school I could afford the babysitter, which would take that stress off....)

I said yes but it's a moot point since the nearest private school of any kind is 20 miles/away (a very good Catholic school.) Our reasons for homeschooling are almost entirely academic. I'm not willing to lose an hour-ish of my life every day and now the cost of gas even if we could afford it. I do know many people who use the school and it seems like a great place with high academic standards. I just have a low tolerance for having my day interrupted.

My son attended 2 years of public school. He is profoundly gifted and that was a very poor fit for him. We looked at 20+ schools locally (major metro area) and couldn't find a public or private school that would be a reasonable fit for him. So we could afford it, but HS is a much better fit for him and now my daughter too.

We started homeschooling due to my dd's epilepsy/health issues. We hs'ed all 3 kids but the plan had always been for the boys to go to the all boys Catholic school for high school.

That's what we are doing.

Poor DS had a rocky start with bullies in 9th gr. but this year is better.

He had awesome teachers last year that he really admired. The same for this year.

I've written this before in other threads but I could not replicate so many dedicated, intelligent Catholic men (brothers, priests, deacons and lay men) as role models in our homeschool.

I said yes because I know my daughter feels lonely a great deal of the time. As an only child at home, combined with the fact that we live in a rural community where there are no kids her age in the neighborhood, my heart breaks for her sometimes. She and I really do love h'schooling, and it has been extremely good for both of us....but if I could possibly swing getting her into the private school where I teach part-time I would do it for her. Chances are she might decide that she wants to come home again, but I'd love to give her the opportunity to find out at last what it would be like to be in school again, especially since she has some romanticized memories of being in a classroom

Blessings,

Lucinda

Wow.... I don't know.

I'm thinking of the school for Arts&Science... I'm thinking of my children in uniforms.... I'm thinking of an excellent education... I'm thinking of group pe, teasing, disappointement, social status eclipsing grades....

I really don't know. Part of me is screaming absolutely NOT. I love hsing, love having my kids home, love learning with them, love seeing all their 'firsts.' I don't know if I'm being selfish or ..... :lol:

Good question :D

I would send my children to a school--public or private--that was rigorous but not cut throat, offered small (10 or less) classes, had shorter days, and great art and gave the kids plenty of chances to be in the air and be physical. And the school would have to be close to my house AND offer grades 1-12 so I would only have to deal with one school. (In my town next year my children would be in four different schools).

A girl can dream.

I would send my children to a school--public or private--that was rigorous but not cut throat, offered small (10 or less) classes, had shorter days, and great art and gave the kids plenty of chances to be in the air and be physical. And the school would have to be close to my house AND offer grades 1-12 so I would only have to deal with one school. (In my town next year my children would be in four different schools).

A girl can dream.

:iagree:You give me a school with short days (2-4 hours), short commute time (20 minutes or less, no 45 minutes both ways on the school bus) and little to no homework (instead of doing nothing else, or taking as much time as homeschooling) and I might consider it, otherwise, no... I have considered putting the kids in after-school daycare program so that they can get socialization and I get some free time... I would do that way before I would take up all of their days with school.

Since my kids are in school now...well, yes, but we can't afford it and ds got into a good public school so we are ok with how it all turned out.

However for dd16- I think the pathway she is on is probably better than any private school would have given her. I went to a private school for half my schooling- it was a good education but the social side of it was so ....conservative. Dd16 would have had to pull her horns in and controlled her rather vibrant personality....I am glad she got to homeschool right through to going into our TAFE college system where she is treated as an adult. It has worked well for her. She's a free spirit.

So...yes and no. We certainly didn't homeschool for purely academic reasons.

If it was the quality of Boston Latin and had the advanced classes, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I have no interest in a mediocre education, private or public.

I used to work for a veterinarian who attended Boston Latin School. Great stories about how much he valued his education. I wish I had been older, I could have gained so much from him about classical ed.

No, I would not do private school. Aside from the fact we can't afford it I don't like being on someone else's schedule. If we want more than 10 vacation days I don't want to need approval. We're not morning people. He was in private school for prek and K, the mornings were awful!

I don't want to worry about expensive uniforms, endless fundraisers, lunch money, or PTA meetings.

Academics aside, I like the limited bureaucracy in my homeschool.