• YES, I would seriously consider it.
    • NO, I can afford it but prefer homeschooling
    • NO, I can afford it, but there's not a good private school near
    • NO, I can't afford it but I'd choose HS'ing anyway

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes, but it would have to a be a very special, very good school.

I don't like to say no or never, because honestly it's impossible to predict the future and we mainly homeschool for academic reasons so if someone else can teach him better then yes. We have other reasons for homeschooling, but his academics are the main priority.

I actually just recently stumbled upon the website of school that *seems* perfect. The student teacher ratio is 4:1, they specialize in kids with sensory seeking personalities, they have a HUGE gym (6000 sq ft) with all kinds of neat sensory things similar to what was in ds6's OT's office. They have active times spliced throughout the day. They have an OT that works with your child every afternoon, they have Tae Kwon Do, Art , and Music twice a week.

Academically, they use HWT, Phonics based reading instruction, and Singapore Math and typing instruction. (Forgot what it listed for history and science :tongue_smilie:)

The problem---it's $26,000 a year, ouch!

Wow, I thought our school was expensive. Holy Cow....$25,000+ a year. :blink:

DD12 won a huge merit scholarship or she wouldn't be attending where she is at either, but that is crazy!

Over $350,000 pk-12!!!

27+ for day school is common in New England. It's much more for boarding school. I think Exeter etc is up aound 40k. Although, like Harvard, Exeter is free to families who make less that 75k...if you can get in. Like playing the lottery.

Yeah on the googly eyes. :D

Edited by LibraryLover

We homeschool for more reasons than the condition of the local public school. DH recently commented on how our dc converse ably with anyone regardless of age, sex, race, religion etc. It's noticeable that the other kids of our acquaintance often struggle with interactions outside of their own gender and age group.

You forgot "other!" :D

I think my answer would be maybe. I might consider it. But more likely I'd homeschool through 6th or 8th grade, then have them go to private school. Maybe.

Same here!

One of the reasons (and there are others) we homeschool is to avoid the stupid things kids do at school that hurts other kids.

I went to an "excellent" private school and I was bullied mercilessly. I was supposed to be learning about the love of God and I was learning about the cruelty of humanity. That 10 year old girl grew up believing that God didn't love her - that she wasn't good enough - that those message of love and hope did not apply to her. So, no, I would not choose a school, public or private, unless I didn't have other options.

Hmmm....I wonder if you went to the same school I did! :confused: :tongue_smilie:

I chose "No, but I could afford it," but there is some explanation, too. My oldest is going to private school next year, beginning high school. My dh drove that decision. I would have homeschooled high school, but he was not comfortable with it. However, now that we are planning to send her there, I am satisfied that she's going there.

I would still rather homeschool than send them to private school, but I have a big self-reliant-type streak in me. It bugs me to spend the money for a private school on something I believe I could do well myself, but it's also somewhat of a relief for her to go there.

Big fat "I don't know" from me. :D I like homeschooling and don't regret it, but I have to admit to being tempted occasionally by private schools. I could see a private school as being a good thing and offering some things that I can't; but I also really enjoy having my freedom and not being beholden to an institution. I could definitely seeing trying one out for a year to see if it was a good fit.