Menu

playplace etiquette - does this exist or am I super strict?

I'm realizing I might be the only person in Oklahoma that requires their kids to follow rules while at a playplace. There are two that I'm really picky/anal about two:

1. You don't climb up the slide. I will catch my kids thinking about it and always repeat, "Up the stairs, down the slide." I've seen other little kids try to climb up the slide and get bowled over by older kids.

2. Even though you're in a playplace and playing, you are STILL INSIDE. There is NO NEED to be screaming and screeching a high-pitched squeal like a banshee. Chase, run, play tag, whatever else...

The other things are things I expect out of my kids at all times: You be nice to other little kids, don't growl at them (even in pretend), no hitting, allow everyone to play, blah blah blah.

What say you?

ETA: I let my kids climb up the slide when they're alone...it's more of a rule to keep the natural flow of the playplace and not to get caught in a jam. Usually I let my littlest go up the slide when we're alone if she's too short to manage the steps up.

Edited by blondeviolin

Oh, I'm one of those crazy Moms who just lets her kids go nuts. :D Go ahead, hate me now. LOL!!!!

Of course my kids have to be kind to other kids. That's a given. Other than that: They can run, jump, yell, scream, squeal, go up the slide the wrong way, etc., to their heart's content. It's playtime. I don't structure it. Much. :tongue_smilie:

Well, no screaming, hitting, being mean- I come down hard on that. If I see any other kid hitting mine I would get onto them as well- ie they would be told not to hit my child- in a firm voice but not raised and I would move my child if necessary. I find on the screaming that usually if I get onto the kids about it other parents say something to their own kids. I do let the kids go up the slide if no one is going down.

The only rule I insist mine follow is the height requirement. Which means they're both too tall. They hate it, but I always think it's awful when some humongous preteen knocks over some preschooler. Other than that, I used to figure it was a good place for them to get their energy out and *some* shrieking comes with the territory. I also figured if they tried to go up the slide and got knocked down too many times, they'd quit. *shrug*

Oh, I'm one of those crazy Moms who just lets her kids go nuts. :D Go ahead, hate me now. LOL!!!!

Of course my kids have to be kind to other kids. That's a given. Other than that: They can run, jump, yell, scream, squeal, go up the slide the wrong way, etc., to their heart's content. It's playtime. I don't structure it. Much. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:Yup! My only exception is if there are lots of toddlers. Then I do not allow them to go up the slide. When mine were little and bigger kids were a bit wild, I would just stand at the base of the slide to catch my toddlers, and dissuade bigger kids from going up it. :D

1. You don't climb up the slide. I will catch my kids thinking about it and always repeat, "Up the stairs, down the slide." I've seen other little kids try to climb up the slide and get bowled over by older kids.

2. Even though you're in a playplace and playing, you are STILL INSIDE. There is NO NEED to be screaming and screeching a high-pitched squeal like a banshee. Chase, run, play tag, whatever else...

The other things are things I expect out of my kids at all times: You be nice to other little kids, don't growl at them (even in pretend), no hitting, allow everyone to play, blah blah blah.

What say you?

I say, I think we're in the minority ;) or at least it seemed like it whenever I was at playgrounds/play places.

I've always been the same way as you with my children with most of the same guidelines you mentioned, but, it's been my experience that many of the other parents (and kids) looked at me as if I had three heads.

What is a playplace? Assuming it is an indoor playground of some sort, yep those are our rules too. Especially about the slide. I once saw a little girl, maybe 3 or 4, flipped off a slide she was climbing up by a much bigger boy sliding down. It was a twisty slide and he just didn't see her.

And I don't allow screaming even on an outside playground. It gives me a headache and I can't tell if someone is actually hurt (being loud is okay, just not actual screaming - ds knows the difference).

Those rules only apply if other kids are there though. If we luck into the playground to ourselves I let ds and whoever the playdate is with go nuts. Except the screaming, of course. :tongue_smilie:

I think the slide issue would be a good poll! I've kind of gone back and forth on it over the years. I know some moms don't like it when kids walk up it, so I'd say no going up when those moms are there. But then when no one else is there or the other moms are letting their kids, I'd let them. It is a bit hard because they are getting a mixed message from me and I'm being inconsistent (which I hate to do).

I don't think there is anything wrong with climbing up the slide and it's so much fun for kids, is great exercise, helps develop different muscles and control and all that. I actually like for them to do it. Problem is when other kids are coming down, of course! It's a better activity when the place is not crowded.

I definitely tell them not to do it when we are somewhere and little kids are coming down. Not only can the one going up be hurt, but so can the one sliding down!

I'm not a huge fan of screaming inside. I don't have a big rule about it, but try to tell the kids to tone it down a bit. It is a playplace and I want them to be free to let loose, even vocally. Also, my kids don't have high-pitchedsquealing voices that kill my ears so it isn't quite as bad.

:iagree:

And, if other kids are in there I make my 3 stick together fairly close. We had an incident one time that I was *VERY* thankful that my oldest was watching out for my youngest.:glare: (I don't trust anyone anymore...even if they are under 4 ft tall.)

If I had little kidlets at home, I'd let them go to the park with yours.:thumbup:

I don't see the point of allowing dc to scream like banshees, either (unless they're playing banshees, lol). And you bet, if there are other dc at the park, there's no going up the slide. If we were alone, sure, 'cuz it's just darn fun trying to do it, but not when there are other dc.

We don't allow screaming b/c like someone posted I can't tell if someone is hurt (and it makes my head want to explode).

I do let them climb up the slide but they know to be careful and that someone may be coming down.

I will let my oldest play even though he is over the height limit b/c he watches out for my two younger boys and is very kind and compassionate to other littles. He tends to include everyone and is a great peacemaker so I don't worry about my boys and know he watches out for others (he is a typical oldest child). :D

:iagree: I'm right with you. And I really, really, really don't like it when another mom chastises my child for going up the slide the wrong way. Not saying the OP would do this. :001_smile: More in response to that other thread about the yarn and the rude store employee.

I don't allow my kids to climb up slides, but they're allowed to scream and yell, especially in the winter when they're going stir crazy and need to get it out of their systems, but can't go outside. They also must yield the way to smaller children, or those obviously struggling, and follow all posted rules (which means my oldest 2 usually can't play anymore, which drives them bonkers, so we don't go all that much).

ETA: this is in reference to a McDonald's PlayPlace:

I don't let my kids climb on the end of the slide or climb up the slide. A year or so ago, dd7 slid down a slide and came out at the same time that a larger kid, who was on top of the end of the slide (the cut away part at the sides) jumped down onto the end of the slide (does that make sense?). He landed on her toes. We thought her pinkie toe was broken. We reported it to the manager, who wrote up an accident report, then we took her to the Children's ER/urgent care, where it was determined that it was not broken. McD's did pay our bill, although they did not claim responsibility (I claimed that they should have more specific signs right there at the ends of the slides--they determined that their signage was adequate). They will pay up to $1,000 for incidents that they determine are not their fault.

Edited by gardening momma

How tightly I control my kid depends on what's going on. If its a bunch of little kids and toddlers then I make him to be careful. If its a bunch of bigger kids then I let him go more wild - including climbing up the slide. Obviously no hitting or pushing ever. Fortunately my son is not a screamer so that's usually not an issue - he might yell if a bunch of kids are doing it but then if that's already the tone one more voice isn't a problem.

In general I prefer to control or nag as little as possible.

I do not allow my dd to go up slides period. It does not matter whether they are indoors or outdoors. I definitely do not allow shrieking indoors, either.

I don't allow my son to go up slides at playplaces, playgrounds, parks, etc. Luckily have not had a problem with squeals/screaming so I'm not sure about that one.

I used to let mine go wild unless others were there. Then they had to behave and be considerate of others.

This. My only other rule was that they must keep their socks on.

Now if I were the grand overseer of all playplaces, my rule for others would be that they not play if they had green snot hanging out of their nose. So glad we're through this stage. :tongue_smilie:

I don't like it when the parents, whether deliberately or not, allow their children to disobey the rules that are clearly posted in most play places. If the sign says don't climb up the slide, then they shouldn't be allowed to climb up the slide. If the sign says no climbing on the outside of equipment, then they shouldn't climb on the outside of equipment. I don't care about the screaming and yelling, but I do care about safety. Most of the rules are in place for a reason, and not following the rules is a liability.

What say you?

ETA: I let my kids climb up the slide when they're alone...it's more of a rule to keep the natural flow of the playplace and not to get caught in a jam. Usually I let my littlest go up the slide when we're alone if she's too short to manage the steps up.

I don't like the screaming, and I don't let kiddo climb up when there is a steady flow down. If there isn't anyone at the top, he can climb up.

I have and enforce the no climbing slides rule at all times and all places when I am present. It makes the slide slower to have footmarks all over it, and it is dangerous. The screaming I guess I figure is basically inevitable, and I try not to sweat it.

I hate play places, and try to avoid them. The park is about it for me.:D

The only ones we ever went to were the ones that you had to pay to get into. That seems to change the overall environment. :D I think my dc have been in a free playplace (McDonalds, etc.) maybe twice ever. And it's exactly because of the lack of manners from other dc.

I don't let them climb up slides, I don't let my 10 yo run around the toddler area knocking little kids over, I don't let my dc lie across the path so that others can't play, etc. I think the toddler and young childhood years are a great time to start teaching them about respecting others, and the playground is a great place to start.

I don't even let my dc scream outside at the park. It's irritating to others and not a habit I want to encourage.

The climbing up the slide rule isn't about preferences; it's about safety. When feet sliding down connect with the face of a child going up, it's not pretty. We've seen it happen many times at the park. Most of our parks have climbing structures (rock wall, ropes, etc.,) so there is a safe place to climb anyway.

Edited by angela in ohio

Sliding down a slide is quick & boring, climbing up is fun and takes longer. If there are kids trying to slide down, then the climbers can wait. Take turns, be kind.

Indoor playspaces are the same to me as outdoor playspaces. Let them play and shout. One shouldn't demand kids to be quiet through The Long Winter.

ETA: McD's is not a resturant and it's not a playspace...

I was thinking about indoor playspaces, not places that you go to eat...with a playspace... If I ruled the world there would be no such thing as McD's, but there would be indoor gyms for kids...they could yell, they could climbm they could slide, and the grownups would have to let the children play without nagging at them. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

How tightly I control my kid depends on what's going on. If its a bunch of little kids and toddlers then I make him to be careful. If its a bunch of bigger kids then I let him go more wild - including climbing up the slide. Obviously no hitting or pushing ever. Fortunately my son is not a screamer so that's usually not an issue - he might yell if a bunch of kids are doing it but then if that's already the tone one more voice isn't a problem.

In general I prefer to control or nag as little as possible.

:iagree:

Good point; I do tend to keep mine on a tighter leash if there are very small children also playing. I expect them to be more careful, and even protective of the toddlers on the play equipment.

Sliding down a slide is quick & boring, climbing up is fun and takes longer. If there are kids trying to slide down, then the climbers can wait. Take turns, be kind.

Indoor playspaces are the same to me as outdoor playspaces. Let them play and shout. One shouldn't demand kids to be quiet through The Long Winter.

ETA: McD's is not a resturant and it's not a playspace...

I was thinking about indoor playspaces, not places that you go to eat...with a playspace... If I ruled the world there would be no such thing as McD's, but there would be indoor gyms for kids...they could yell, they could climbm they could slide, and the grownups would have to let the children play without nagging at them. ;)

I wasn't really thinking of McD's either...I can count on one hand the number of times our kids have played there or in a similar fast-food playplace. The main indoor places our kids play are those places with all the inflatable slides and jumping toys. They're pretty big, so screaming and yelling isn't really that big of a deal.

My rule for visiting playplaces is

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

I reserve the right to stay the heck out of those places and do. I have been, long years ago, and even if there were bffs, birthdays, clowns, and free money, I'd still say no, No! NO!!!

ick!

Now, my rules for slide usage:

If we're the only ppl at the park you may use the slide in any way you think you may live through.

If we're not the only ppl at the park AND we don't know them, don't climb up the slide. I do think it's dangerous when one slides and one climbs and they meet in the middle . . .

If we're not the only ppl at the park BUT we do know them (and trust them), play as you will but be careful.

Two activities that my daughter and a couple of friends like to engage in -- Fairy Princess of the Hill (the fairy part being optional these days) and climbing up the slide -- get this warning every time: have fun but please understand that that is an excellent opportunity to hurt a friend or hurt a friend's feelings. Then I usually let them decide. If it gets ugly I just look smug. Okay, for you newbies, I'm kidding about the smug part . . . mostly.

Oh, how I wish we lived near an indoor playspace. But the ones here are mostly really small and good only for toddlers. My 5.5 yo is way too big.

My main rule for all indoor child-oriented areas, especially playspaces and children's museums, is: No touching your eyes, mouth, or nose without washing hands. (Bathing in a sea of disinfectant would be better, actually.)

Those are our rules as well.

I despise the 'going up the slide' and my kids know it, but if they see another kid do it, they (try) to do it, before I lay into them. I've been told quite frankly that I expect a lot from my kids by a couple of friends. However, I always get told in public, or from their teachers/instructors at church or gymnastics that they are *so* well-behaved/helpful/polite etc. I think there is a *huge* problem in the parenting arena of letting our kids act like brats b/c we're too lazy to keep them in line. Nothing irritates me more than a young kid calling my kid some vulgar stuff at the playground, with mom or dad laughing it off. :glare:

No slide climbing for my littles. But a lot of that has to do with Little Miss (2) being all of 23 pounds & Mr. Man (4) being almost 60 pounds. Anything that they can't safely do together, I don't let them do with other kids. And in our family, it's DD who wants to climb the slide & DS who will be pummeling her on his way down... So, yeah.

And it really bugs me when parents don't watch their kids in the mall play area, which is where we go for the kiddos to let off steam in the winter, when it's too cold & wet to be outside like they are used to.

My rule for visiting playplaces is

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

I reserve the right to stay the heck out of those places and do. I have been, long years ago, and even if there were bffs, birthdays, clowns, and free money, I'd still say no, No! NO!!!

ick!

Now, my rules for slide usage:

If we're the only ppl at the park you may use the slide in any way you think you may live through.

If we're not the only ppl at the park AND we don't know them, don't climb up the slide. I do think it's dangerous when one slides and one climbs and they meet in the middle . . .

If we're not the only ppl at the park BUT we do know them (and trust them), play as you will but be careful.

I loathe indoor playplaces and I do not go to them. When at the park, these are still the rules for us as well. When other out of control kids are there, we usually leave because it is almost always my kids that get hurt while the others run wild. Personally, I hate going to the park for these reasons but don't quite avoid it like I do the indoor spots. I do try to only go to parks that are not heavily frequented though.

I'm no fun. I admit it. I LOATHE play places.

Most of the children there are out of control, not monitored, and dangerous. Every time we went, some older larger child completely trampled my younger child. Not to mention, every time we have gone to a play pace, the kids ended up sick a few days later. We've stopped going to them completely.

When we did go, I was firm about following the posted rules. My older two can read, and if I allow them to break the rules, I'm not setting a good example for them.

Those are our rules as well.

I despise the 'going up the slide' and my kids know it, but if they see another kid do it, they (try) to do it, before I lay into them. I've been told quite frankly that I expect a lot from my kids by a couple of friends. However, I always get told in public, or from their teachers/instructors at church or gymnastics that they are *so* well-behaved/helpful/polite etc. I think there is a *huge* problem in the parenting arena of letting our kids act like brats b/c we're too lazy to keep them in line. Nothing irritates me more than a young kid calling my kid some vulgar stuff at the playground, with mom or dad laughing it off. :glare:

I guess I don't see 'going up the slide' as anyhow related to 'letting our kids acts like brats because we're too lazy to keep them in line' or calling a kid 'some vulgar stuff at the playground, with mom or dad laughing it off'. If and when I let my kids go up the slide, it isn't because I'm being lazy. It is because there aren't other kids using the slide and I think going up the slide is a good idea. I don't fall into the category of laughing off my kids calling other kids vulgar names.

I'm glad your kids are *so* well-behaved/helpful/polite. I think plenty of kids whose parents allow going up the slide are as well. (I'm not talking about in places where there are signs about not climbing the slide, but in a park or whatever).

Edited by HeidiKC