Menu

playplace etiquette - does this exist or am I super strict?

The ones we visit have separate areas for infants / toddlers and big kids.

My rules are:

1) Use your manners

2) Follow the rules of the play place

They don't really yell, but if they did, I might say something if it lasted more than half a second. I'm not into giving everyone else a headache, but I don't expect quiet time at the play place.

Pretty much everything falls under those two for us, including "up the stairs, down the slide", which I do allow, with rare exceptions, such as when no one else is at the play place.

Edited by arghmatey
Top secret

What say you?

Well, I'm like you, too. Actually my ds's didn't like going to playplaces much because they like rules like yours also.

Many years ago when we lived in TX we had a fabulous playplace at the local McDonalds. What made it so great was they had a full-time worker for the playplace. She was nice but tough about the kids (and parents) following the rules. No socks? No play. She'd tell the kids to stop screeching, not climb up the slide, no climbing the outside of the structure, all that. She also managed any parties in the play area and kept the place CLEAN! Too bad all the playplaces can't be like that one was.

We stopped going to playplaces when the boys were still fairly young when they came down with a very nasty case of pinkeye after visiting a playplace. :glare:

I used to let mine go wild unless others were there. Then they had to behave and be considerate of others.

:iagree::iagree:

In a 'past life' I supervised large groups of kids on a playground. I always made a point of explaining that because this is a large group we have certain rules to keep everyone safe. If you come to the playground with your family and it's okay with your parents you can run up the slide (or whatever). IOW, these 'rules' are more about being considerate and safe in a crowd, not set-in-stone/illegal/immoral...'one may NEVER run up a slide' :lol:

but there would be indoor gyms for kids...they could yell, they could climbm they could slide, and the grownups would have to let the children play without nagging at them. ;)

There are indoor gyms for kids! We have one here. There are several different rooms with a variety of slides, climbers, bridges, ropes, climbing walls, and so forth. Think of a very big, more creative, high quality version of the McD's playspace.

I can't afford it :tongue_smilie: but it's very cool nonetheless. They also have more organized kid fitness activities.