Menu

How do you afford to homeschool??!!!

Dh's salary just cleared 40K this year, and we devote a chunk of our tax return to HS materials every year, as that's the only time we can guarantee the availability of funds.:glare: I make small occasional purchases throughout the year, but our main curriculum purchases are made in early February. :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

We are on a very tight budget too. Dh makes about $32,000/year GROSS. I am a stay at home mom and we have five growing boys who like to play soccer and take piano lessons. ;)

We just had to find ways to be creative.

There are a lot of great curriculum out there that do not cost a lot. Singapore and Math Mammoth are two favorite math programs, and both are very inexpensive.

Also, I don't know about you - but we get a big tax return each year because of our family size. Setting aside a couple thousand for homeschool expenses is what we plan to do this year.

And another thought, I don't know about where you live, but here we have a public school funded homeschool program. Its a school for homeschooled kids and gives them up to 8 hrs a week of elective-type classes. If you take less then the full 8 hrs then you don't have to do any of the state testing either.

They have an extensive library of curriculum that you can check out for FREE. There really arent much for consumables like workbooks, but they also pay for those. You can buy it and get reimbursed, or you can fill out a purchase order and have the school order it.

That's how I got my expensive Math In Focus program for my two youngest. They do have stipulations on religious materials, but religious-based publishers are fine. I checked out Story of the World from their library!

Other ideas..you could do family fundraisers throughout the year for their school expenses.

HTH!!

Tax return time here too!

However we do pick up somethings here and there.

In the beginning we didn't even have the tinest bit of budget for hs'ing materials! And I did all the freebie things...and the only hs thing we ended up keeping that we used in the beginning was the math (MEP)...and we were blessed with alot of things from another hs'ing family...my other suggestion would be The Book Samaratian. http://www.thebooksamaritan.com/

We really struggled and chugged along for 2 years before we were blessed with learning how to make room for some hs'ing spending...then thankfully between a little room each month and the tax return we've been able to get what we wanted. I stalk the usedhomeschoolcurriculum website for weeks and the FSOT forum here and even on ebay...just to get the best deal and get what I need.

:grouphug:It was a very hard road. Once we were able to afford better curriculum we played catch up for an entire summer. And I agree the most expensive curriculum isn't the best out there.

Also maybe see if anyone has some old things they would be willing to let go for shipping, maybe? I know I have somethings but they might not be what you're wanting. But it'd be worth a shot, if that's allowed here.

I just wanted to say that once again I am overwhelmed by the kindness of these board. Living in the world we live in it can sometimes get hard to find that. You ladies have really inspired and lifted me up. I have a new outlook on our school and although I was having a pity party for myself you have helped me realize that where there is a will there is always a way. I am more than willing to put in the hours of work to find and create those things which we can not afford. Hearing from others has made me more confident in doing it without the expensive programs. I have bookmarked all your ideas, dowloaded the kindle app and just had an offer from a wonderful lady to send me a few things. God is GREAT!!! And so are you ladies! Thank you from the heart!

Just wanted to add that I WILL stay off the curriculum boards from now on!!! lol

. . . where I warn you up front I haven't read most of the previous responses. I'm fighting a dreadful headache, but don't want to skip replying.

For the first several years that we homeschooled, we were on an extremely tight budget. And we kept right on going even through periods of unemployment and ugly legal issues. I didn't get to the point at which I could "just buy" curriculum until just a few years ago. And, ironically, the year I spent the most money was the year we hated what I bought, dropped several items and went with different, cheaper texts and curricula for the rest of the year.

Here are some things I've done:

- Find free resources online. I used to have a whole folder full of bookmarks for sites from which I could print worksheets, places we could watch educational videos, etc. One of my favorites is the Glencoe literature site, which has free study guides for many, many children's novels: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

The guides are intended for use with their editions of the books, but can be used with whatever copy you have on hand or find in your library.

It looks like several previous posters gave you links to a bunch of useful sites, too.

- Dollar stores: When my kids were little, I often found good workbooks at dollar stores. My kids used these for math, spelling, even science. It's hit or miss, but they can be found.

- Buy used, and don't tie yourself down to buying a specific curriculum. We've pretty much always pulled together our own lesson plans, generally making use of whatever resources we have around or can find inexpensively.

- Do your research and collect lots of ideas ahead of time. I usually keep in my purse a list of all the books and materials I think might be useful for the next two or three years. Then, when I hit used or close-out bookstores or library sales or even Goodwill or our church thrift store, I check for titles on my list. I've purchased the majority of the books my kids read for school that way for years. Kind of like couponing (which I don't do, by the way), the key here is not to be "brand loyal." There are lots and lots of books that will help your child learn about ancient Egypt, for example. If you can find one of them for .50 at the thrift store, there's utterly no reason to buy a different one new for $7.95.

- PaperbackSwap and BookMooch have been my friends for the last couple of years. I get many of the books we need using my credits on those sites. Since it costs me an average of about $2.50 to ship a book to someone else and earn a credit, that's all it costs me to get something I want for school.

Every year, I total up what I spend and compare it to a variety of curricula that are roughly comparable in rigour and content. This year, my total came in at about 12-50% of what it would have cost me to buy a packaged curriculum.

And the funny thing is thatall of the biggest-ticket items I purchased for this year have turned out to be total flops. You'd think I would have learned my lesson last time, right?

So, it can be done. What I've discovered is that you have to invest either money or time, though. I have time.

My dh made 32,000 last year and that is the most he has ever made. I buy most of our curriculum with our income tax return. I also spend a lot of time looking for used items and things at the best price I can. We are using HOD and I have found it very affordable buying used(it is even very reasonable new considering it is non consumable, and I can reuse it 4 times). I also hit the thrifts stores quite often, and find many of our reading books there.

Yes, but I put in a few suggestions last year and they still don't have them.

They can take a while, but maybe you need to make friends with the librarians, and whoever does the buying if possible! The ladies at the toy library all learned my name within weeks of me joining because I'm the only one who asks for specific things, like emu or squirrel themed puzzles...

:)

Rosie

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Another free site I haven't seen mentioned yet: Lesson Pathways.

Also, SWB's "Writing With Ease: Strong Fundamentals" is reasonably priced and will take you through 4th grade for writing.

We make about $30k/yr, but we only have 2 kids, so things are tight but not as tight as for some.

How do we do it? We use a public charter school that gives us quite a bit of money per student. It's a trade-off (we have to do yearly testing and submit a portfolio of work every month to the school rep), but it allows us to put our girls in some extracurricular activities that are important to us.

I figure we've spent about $300 total for both girls on stuff that has worked well. The rest (hundreds of dollars :( )was spent on mistakes (poor fit) and extras we've never gotten around to using.

If we hadn't had the charter school option I'd have used: Math Mammoth (we got the K-3 blue series on sale last summer for $30), Progressive Phonics or Word Mastery or another free online program and library books. And, you know what? My DDs would have made lovely progress and everything would have turned out just fine.

We enrolled our kids in a virtual academy which provides approximately $1200 per child for curricula, classes in the community, supplies, and field trips. I tell the school what we are going to learn each year, the kids email their "teacher" about their learning each week, and I provide a monthly review of our progress. They also provide our annual testing so I don't have to cover that cost either. It works well for us because I still make all of the decisions and do all of the teaching.

The state government is threatening to cut these programs from the budget (we are legally public schoolers) so we are setting aside money from our tax refund to ensure we have the money for curriculum and supplies next year.

Homeschooling on a tight budget is difficult.

Edited by joannqn

I spent about $350 for 2 kids this year. I buy used curriculum, peruse the books at thrift stores for curriculum, and also follow the WTM's suggestions for history, science and literature which means I use the library a lot! I go every week and at any given time have 30-70 books/DVD's checked out.

I buy ALL used! I sell all my old hs curriculum to buy what I need for the next year.

:iagree:You can buy almost anything you want very cheaply if you look carefully online and at yearly curriculum sales. I usually sell my used curriculum for what I paid for it (sometimes even more) and use that money to buy more books. Science and history can easily be done for free for elementary ages using the library and internet.

When we went broke, we joined a charter school that pays for books, kits, and outside lessons. We have no money, but my kids can have horseback riding lessons. It's an odd feeling.

The school won't pay for everything I want--I buy R&S grammar and Classical Writing myself. But they make it possible for me to homeschool and get things I would never have gotten even if I had the money.

Didn't want to junk up the curriculum boards so I thought I would post here. I am needed a dose of reality. We live on a very tight budget. I stay at home and this year my husband earned under $40,000. He also pays out over $6000 a year in child support and insurance. So after all the bills and food (sense I can't seem to get them to stop eating)lol there just isn't much left. I can't afford anything I want. Just to name a few. MFW to expensive even used, HOW added up to be over $300, HOD and TOG can't even afford to look at the website lol. And this is just history and a little science. Not to mention let's see, math, grammar, spelling, writing, latin (haven't even started yet) and a foreign language. I am at a loss. I have never been spoiled. We have lived on a small income for the last 10 years and I am ok with that. I just can't seem to pull it together. So how do you all do it? If you have a small budget how do you give your kids a good education? Forget about saving a small amount every month, there is nothing to save! Ok, I think my rant is over now. Thanks for listening!

It can be tough to homeschool on a budget...

History is easy to do if you have access to a good library. I've made a bunch of my own schedules (on my website for free) that have saved me a ton of money (and worked better for me anyway!). I check out most of the books at the library and purchase some of the ones I really want to use that aren't available at the library from Amazon.

Speaking of Amazon, I use them for a lot of our homeschool purchases. I get a little bit of credit when people order things off of my website and then turn around and use that to buy homeschool items we need. Maybe you can look into creating a website with some Amazon links that might bring you in a little bit of an income. It's not much (at least not for me), but it's nice to have. Every little bit counts and is a help.

Another way to make Amazon bucks for books is to use something like Swagbucks. (yeah the link has my referral ID, lol)...

Get others to sign up with your referral link and you will make extra "points". You also can earn points by doing searches through swagbucks, playing games, watching videos, printing out and using coupons and so on. I've earned about $50 in Swagbucks (??) for Amazon gift cards and probably used every bit of that on homeschool materials.

Also, check out Paperbackswap.com. You can get free book credits by sending other people books you are done with.

There are lots of places to get basic homeschooling needs met online. There are free workbooks, printables, even curriculum.

Another thing you can do is look and see if there are any charter schools in your area. Some charter schools will allow you to choose your own curricula/materials and will provide you with funds to do so.

And speak up...you could always post on this board and let people know you are looking for something and would anyone be willing to give something away maybe just for the shipping cost. :001_smile:

You never know!

I have given away probably thousands of dollars worth of books and curricula. It's not always worth my time usually to bother trying to sell it online (although I've done that once or twice?) and I always feel happy to give it away since so many have given me things over the years.

I have LOTS of bookmarks for freebies. PM me or post if there is something really specific you are looking for or need.

I've found all kinds of gems over the years.

Seriously... you can homeschool for nearly free (even including Latin), IF you spend a lot of time looking around online and can make it to a library.

BTW here are some Latin freebies:

http://www.linneyslatinclass.com/index.php

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Latin_1/ (check out the files!!) -this is an awesome resource!!

http://www.learnlatinonlinefree.com/

Also, here's a free science that's terrific:

http://www.inquiryinaction.org/

((hugs)) I know it's tough, but it can be done. You just have to get creative and crawl around online. :001_smile:

:grouphug: I may repeat what everyone has said as I'm up in the middle of the night with sinus stuff but need to get back to bed so I didn't read replies. I also think I'm reading right in the ages you're homeschooling being younger grades (elementary?)

I'm finding there is so much available that you can do it (almost) free for the elementary level. An internet connection, printer ink, and a library card seems to be enough for most subjects. When I realized that I had essentially no funds for homeschooling I was so discouraged. But as I looked I found everything I needed to give my kids a great education almost free. I actually started a blog to share what I find so that it could encourage others in similar situations (a blog that I really need to update....) But there is so much available. You can do it and do it well.

Well, I only have one child (for another few weeks at least!), but DH and my combined income last year was around $27K. I wasn't able to use everything I wanted this year, but I had enough to make do. I tend to buy ahead when I do have a little money for curriculum so that the basics are there when I need them. I also look for curricula that are non-consumable, so that I'll be able to use them with future children, and a I take advantage of free resources online and the library. Our phonics curriculum was free online; spelling will be as well. I found FLL secondhand in a used bookstore, as well as our geography workbooks. Our math text cost less than $20 and can be used through 4th grade. It can be used for the next child as well.

The items I still need to buy for 3rd grade will cost less than $100. I already have it planned out so when a little money comes along, I can jump on it.

Here's how I did it this year for 2 children.

I am under a cover school that sends out daily emails. At the beginning of the year I got an email saying the local community college had free textbooks. I went and that's where I got my prealgebra book. I got a lot of other stuff but don't use them. I use an online free spelling course, science is jason.org..also free. I use quotegerden.com for copywork and donnayoung.org for handwriting.

I have only bought SOTW1 book and AG, R&S preschool workbooks, WS3 and Muzzy French ($10 at a consignment sale). That comes out to about $80.

I also have 2 very dear friends on this board who buy stuff use it and say it's great or don't waste your time...that helps!:D

As to how I get the money..I sew. So when people need a pair of pants hemmed I charge $5...which is half of what the alterations places charge. I also sometimes help out my cousin in a sewing plant. And when I go to the grocery store anything I "save" using coupons I put in my education fund. HTH!!

Edited by dakarimom5

I am more than willing to put in the hours of work to find and create those things which we can not afford. Hearing from others has made me more confident in doing it without the expensive programs.

You know, so much of what (you should) be paying for in an expensive program is the convenience factor. Someone who's done all the work and getting a royalty for it. Even with a decent homeschool budget, I have been using less expensive alternatives because like you, I don't mind (and really am beginning to prefer) doing the work.

Having no extra money means feeling unable to make choices. But sometimes, the choice that's out of reach because of finances isn't the choice you'd make if you had the cash. :grouphug:

I think I read all the responses and didn't see this (but I did wander off and check out cool site recs, so I might have missed this.) Great suggestions.

One huge thing we did to cut costs was start (or join) an actual co-op. Not one of those expensive ones that you can join. BTDT. We joined a small (about 10 families) co-op that meets at a local church. Moms teach and everyone splits the cost of the curriculum, supplies and copies. (we do follow copyright laws. These are copies that we are allowed to make.) The moms teaching do not view it as a money making endeavor (as they do in some co-ops). Rather, everyone in the group is committed to frugality and everyone does something to help. Aside from the cost sharing benefit, this also helps because it stops me from switching curriculum mid-year. Amazingly, when you commit to a curriculum and are determined to make it work, it does.

I also have two pt. jobs that help pay for extras.

Your public library card and a copy of the educational philosophy you are using (Classical, Charlotte Mason, Unschooling etc...) are all you need to get you started.

I know of many families who are on a strict budget who get by with using the public library, WTM and purchasing a math curriculum.

If you have -- wait. I was going to say, if you have an internet connection and a public library, that's all you need... but the truth of it is, you can eliminate one of those and still be golden.

There's no end to the information that is available online, and a decent size library could also keep a person buried in 'new stuff' for YEARS. This doesn't even take into consideration everything that we learn during our day to day activities/interactions/etc.

You have to be comfortable with the idea that education doesn't have to mean "sitting at the table with X publisher's textbook" or such, though. ;)

Yesterday I added up what I've spent for books and other stuff for the year. My grand total was ~$72. (Keep in mind I am only teaching one.) I even counted my Latin text, Getting Started with Latin, which I included in last year's total. FWIW, it's been going for ~$17 on Amazon lately. That one book could be used for all of your children and will easily last a year for you if you go through slowly.

For history this year I am using a very old book, Builders of the Old World by Gertrude Hartman. I found two copies at my local thrift shop for 50 cents each. We are using this as an overview of world history, very similar to CHOW, but much more detailed. I am also using old Childcrafts for poetry, science and biographical stories (Pioneers and Patriots and Scientists and Inventors). We use the free MEP math program, but also have added in the old Strayer-Upton text which someone else has previously mentioned.

More than anything, I really love my 1st edition copy of the WTM, which is the backbone of everything to me. It is very detailed in how to go about a classical education for your children. I much prefer it to the new editions, but that is JMHO. I've seen those lately for ~$6 used on some of the used book retailer websites. It's worth its weight in gold for that price!!

Over time I have grown to see a confidence in myself with teaching my child, and it is not dependent upon a certain boxed program or the latest gizmo or book. For getting to the very root or essence of *how-to*, you just can't beat that early edition of WTM. The first chapter (written by Jessie) is wonderful for a pick-me-up on bad days when I wonder if I really can do this. She did, and shares with us that it is indeed possible.

Here are hugs for you as you work through your worries. I'll share this one last thing that I do to train myself not to get caught up in the latest and greatest. I go to the local thrift shop and scour the shelves. I can almost always find some kind of math text, a grammar book, several classic literature titles, and an old science text (which are almost always more detailed than some of the newish stuff), and a few board games. There's usually a Shakespeare title or two, and at least one book about foreign countries. Throw in a map, some cheap notebooks from Walmart or wherever and you've really got it covered. (There's usually a whole set of Childcrafts- books). Use the books to teach all of the kids. Of course the older will do more advanced work than the younger, but can't they all draw a picture of what they've read or listened to, and write a sentence or so--of course the older kids will write more, working on building up to paragraphs.

The very best use of $20 (IMHO) is for a large dry-erase board from Lowe's or Home Depot. Get the board cut in half, and you suddenly have two. Get a cheap (Dollar Tree) set of dry-erase markers, and you're in business. You can write their copywork (for all), work math problems, draw diagrams from the science text, write Latin translation sentences, whatever.

I hope this comes across in a kind, helpful way, not at all patronizing, as that is not how I mean it. It is so not necessary to buy expensive, complicated programs. Get the book Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum and let the kids map out his travels. You could do the same with a book about Marco Polo. Use a big map to learn states and capitals. Drill them twice a week, letting them find the states and giving the name of the capitals. This is cheap, and geography is getting done! Don't make this harder on yourself than it has to be. You can do this, and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck to you, and I hope some of this has been in some way helpful. :grouphug:

Our first 2 years of homeschooling were living on around $25K a year. I would take a little bit of our tax refund to put towards homeschooling because we qualified for EIC then and would usually get a good size refund.

One of the first things I did when my dh got a better job was buy Sonlight Core 1 with Science and LA. We wound up hating it. I then got 2 different WP programs that did not work well either. Expensive curriculum does not always mean it's better. I should have just stuck to the stuff I'd used the first 2 years- FIAR, RME, and MUS. It seems like there are more and more free resources out there all the time.

Folks have given you a lot of my suggestions already, but if you like, last year about this time I compiled a large number of free online homeschool resources from various sources and put it on the public section of our homeschool group website. http://www.enrichnc.org (see Homeschool Resources). The links are divided into categories and were all working last February, but I haven't had time to double check them yet this year, so let me know if there's a broken link;).

We do free classes at the library (book club and writing class, classes offered vary by age), though with budget cuts our options have narrowed. Talk with a librarian to see if you are maximizing your use of their online resources. Ours has free language learning programs, educational videos online, etc, but it's not obvious. See if they will do an informational session for homeschoolers (or public schoolers as well) in your area on how best to use their resources--it will benefit everyone. Don't forget to check your neighboring county's system as well--if it's a bigger one, they may have enough additional resources to make it worth getting an out of county card (cost varies--I think the one here is about $35 a year, but we lucked into a lifetime one for $100 before they stopped that program).

I have an extensive wishlist on Paperbackswap for things I want over the next 2-3 years. Check on Kindle for the Kaplan guides (SAT prep, AP guides, etc)--currently I think they are still free and, while you may not need them now, can come in handy in a few years for the oldest as extra options for prep even if you have to buy current ones when you get to that point. In the Kindle store you can click on the genre and sort price low to high. Also, check the Kindle discussion board, there's a lady there who posts the new books she finds each day (they also have a lot of Christian fiction free, if you like that sort of thing). Check out Book Samaritan, http://www.thebooksamaritan.com/, which I think is run by someone on the boards (or who used to be on the boards). Get lots of paper/notebooks at the yearly school supply sales in July and August and treat every book or workbook possible as nonconsumable so that it can be reused by your younger children or sold.

For the Y, ask about a scholarship/financial aid for reduced fees. The ones here give them. I know the Girl Scouts has a pretty good financial aid program (at least in our council) and I think the Boy Scouts do as well. Check out Angel Food Ministries to see if it would help with the grocery budget (it's a group buying program, you don't have to show any financial need to participate). Ask about 4H---here it is a state supported program and we don't pay to participate in our science and community service oriented club. There may be financial aid for their curricula and, even if not, it's very inexpensive (couple of dollars per booklet, IIRC, and they can be nonconsumable). See if your local Parks and Rec or nature centers have classes and ask if they offer a reduced rate or financial assistance. If they don't or the class is offered at a location that's too far for you, ask if your local one can replicate it. Figure in costs for gas and time in outside classes though--it can add up.

Adding in this post from 8FilltheHeart re: how to teach writing--absolutely free, and it gets the job done. She has been so kind to share all of this with us, and I thought I would link it here for you to use.

One more thing.... We recently found the Lego Robotics program for free through our local 4-H office. That might be worth checking on if you are interested in something like that. Free is good.

Well, I'll suggest another thing. Get the kids involved with cooking. This helps them learn real-life skills, but also helps them learn time management and fractions, etc. Let them start a garden in the backyard. I've been using all the leaves I find around for free mulch, and if nothing else, they can set their garden beds up and put this free mulch down in anticipation of spring. Make some little cups with newspaper and get some of those 10/$1 seeds at Dollar Tree, some cheap potting mix, and let them plant their favorites. They can move them to their prepared beds in the spring. Let them learn the Latin names and make notebook drawings of the progression of growth. This is a cheap activity, and one they can literally enjoy the *fruits* of their labor (if you plant some veggies).

I don't believe this has been mentioned, but I only skimmed through the 9 pages on here.... ;)

I second a portion of the tax return, but I also buy some of our curriculum at our local homeschool curriculum sales. We have two in our area once a year.

If you are a member of a local homeschool group ask around about the sales, or start one of your own. Our big one is about 45 minutes away. At this one you label and drop it off and they sort everything by subject. You get your money and unsold items back. A local family started one 2 years ago and it is has been a success. At this one you reserve a table and sell your own items.

My prayers are with you!

:grouphug:

In my early days of homeschooling, when I was overwhelmed by curriculum choices, a wise mom told me that when she started out, she homeschooled with a math book and a library card. (Her children are in their late 20's.) Her curriculum consisted of reading lots of good books on a variety of subjects. I think she bought a spelling book used, but everything else, she got from the library. When TWTM came out, she said that aside from grammar curricula, she did what Susan recommended. She created an outline for each year and check out library books on each topic. Her kids got into highly selective universities.

I'll have to look into FLVS again maybe for the grammar and math. Thanks for the encouraging words!

We've used FLVS for Latin for 4 kids so far. It's been great. The teachers know my kids, the program is well laid out, the kids can join the Classical League, the Latin honor society and take the National Latin Exam (those cost extra $, but they are available). My dc have all started in 8th grade and gone through either Latin II or III.

HTH,

Lisa

I've spent a lot of money. But, if I had to I know I could do it on a lot less. I'm sorry I didn't read most of the 9 pages of this thread, so I will probably reiterate what most people said.

If you follow TWTM, you can get away with only buying LA curriculum and math curriculum. Everything else you can get from the library. Those big, full-service curriculum (TOG, Sonlight, etc.) are gorgeous and very nice, but... not necessary to give your children an excellent education.

In response to alot of ideas, I have found a local 4-H group and I just spoke with our library and found out they offer Rosetta Stone Spanish for free. They also have free math tutoring if we need it. She also was glad that I had brought it to her attention that requested items are not being bought. I am making her a list and will drop it off. I think the first thing on the list wil be TWTM!!!

I never spent more than $200 a year on instructional materials. The most I would have spent would have been $150 for KONOS, but I got them free because I hosted a KONOS workshop. :) And this was before it was possible to buy used stuff very easily (early 80s).

Didn't want to junk up the curriculum boards so I thought I would post here. I am needed a dose of reality. We live on a very tight budget. I stay at home and this year my husband earned under $40,000. He also pays out over $6000 a year in child support and insurance. So after all the bills and food (sense I can't seem to get them to stop eating)lol there just isn't much left. I can't afford anything I want. Just to name a few. MFW to expensive even used, HOW added up to be over $300, HOD and TOG can't even afford to look at the website lol. And this is just history and a little science. Not to mention let's see, math, grammar, spelling, writing, latin (haven't even started yet) and a foreign language. I am at a loss. I have never been spoiled. We have lived on a small income for the last 10 years and I am ok with that. I just can't seem to pull it together. So how do you all do it? If you have a small budget how do you give your kids a good education? Forget about saving a small amount every month, there is nothing to save! Ok, I think my rant is over now. Thanks for listening!

You can homeschool inexpensively and still do a good job. I just always take the price of a curriculum into account before I start getting too excited about it. It can be a wonderful language arts program, but if it's $100, I'm not even looking at it. I buy whatever I can used, combine kids in one subject as much as possible, reuse resources for younger children, and just try to buy the cheapest good programs I can find. I don't tend to buy teacher's guides, which saves money. I get library books whenever possible. I usually spend no more than $200 on my oldest (14 yo), and much less for my younger kids (10 and 8) because I'm reusing stuff from my oldest. I don't think I've ever spent more than $300 on one school year, not including co-op fees, music lessons, or extracurriculars.

Some of the programs I have used over the years are Rod and Staff Grammar, Horizons Math, Singapore Math, Elementary Greek, Apologia science, Considering God's Creation, Draw Right Now, Reason for Handwriting, Natural Speller, Explode the Code, Phonics Pathways, First Reader, and Story of the World.

:lurk5:

We are scrimping and trying to get next year's curriculum, too. This is my first year doing all three kids. Last year was our first year, with just our middle child, in kindergarten.

I am disorganized and the only set curriculum I have is Math U See. Everything else is cobbled together. I think for next year I will be doing Five In A Row with my youngest.

I need to get things organized for next year, so I can buy little bits at a time.

K12 is free.

Christian Liberty Press is very cheap.

R&S is cheap also.

Try buying used.

Use non-conumables if you have more than one child. Make your child write on paper, not in the book.

We use a mix of R&S and A Beka (A Beka is not cheap). We use part of our tax return to pay for it.