Menu

How do you afford to homeschool??!!!

Didn't want to junk up the curriculum boards so I thought I would post here. I am needed a dose of reality. We live on a very tight budget. I stay at home and this year my husband earned under $40,000. He also pays out over $6000 a year in child support and insurance. So after all the bills and food (sense I can't seem to get them to stop eating)lol there just isn't much left. I can't afford anything I want. Just to name a few. MFW to expensive even used, HOW added up to be over $300, HOD and TOG can't even afford to look at the website lol. And this is just history and a little science. Not to mention let's see, math, grammar, spelling, writing, latin (haven't even started yet) and a foreign language. I am at a loss. I have never been spoiled. We have lived on a small income for the last 10 years and I am ok with that. I just can't seem to pull it together. So how do you all do it? If you have a small budget how do you give your kids a good education? Forget about saving a small amount every month, there is nothing to save! Ok, I think my rant is over now. Thanks for listening!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:

I guess that's why a lot of people start small homeschool businesses...to make that little bit of extra money to spend on homeschooling.

I did have the money to buy whatever programs I wanted...and some were successes...but you know, there are plenty of great free programs on the internet, as well, and many times I liked them better. Such as Ambleside. And the good thing about a free online program is that you can tweak it a lot and feel no guilt, because it didn't cost you anything. THere are also cheaper good quality curriculums like Rod and Staff.

If you hang out here on the curriculum board especially...it's easy to suffer from curriculum envy and start to wonder if all those other kids are getting a better education than yours. But you really don't need all that stuff, especially the expensive ones. Expensive curricula does not equal good education, by any means.

Do schools in Florida have to provide curricula to homeschoolers? In PA they do have to provide books at the parents request.

Also, there are free and low cost homeschooling resources out there. I will start digging:D

No, they do not provide any books. They do have an online virtual school which would be a last option for us.

The first is Webster's Speller and other resources on these pages. I like the 1908 edition. You can use it off the computer with whiteboards:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/

http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

http://freehomeschoolinglibrar.blogspot.com/

Also, don't forget the library and used books.

For history, why not STOW? Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1856978621/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295913975&sr=8-1-spell&condition=used

Great literature guides here that follow STOW from one of our own:

http://classicalhouseoflearning.wordpress.com/

I guess that's why a lot of people start small homeschool businesses...to make that little bit of extra money to spend on homeschooling.

I did have the money to buy whatever programs I wanted...and some were successes...but you know, there are plenty of great free programs on the internet, as well, and many times I liked them better. Such as Ambleside. And the good thing about a free online program is that you can tweak it a lot and feel no guilt, because it didn't cost you anything. THere are also cheaper good quality curriculums like Rod and Staff.

If you hang out here on the curriculum board especially...it's easy to suffer from curriculum envy and start to wonder if all those other kids are getting a better education than yours. But you really don't need all that stuff, especially the expensive ones. Expensive curricula does not equal good education, by any means.

Yes, Yes, yes. This is what is happening! I pray about it and find peace in the fact that we doing just fine and then I read all these wonderful post about all these great programs and get envious! This year I bought TQ used and have used the library and goodwill, and yard sales. I know they have learned alot. I just start to worry that they aren't being exposed to enough.

Honestly, this is how we are too. I use a lot of online free sites, I am very very choosey with what curric I buy, and I use a lot of living books. I have some memberships to a zoo and a museum that we use quite a bit that we saved up for as well. And I am constantly at the library.

We miss out on a lot of things because we don't have the participation money. Our biggest investments honestly have been scouts and 4-H. Both provide a huge amount of learning oppertunities and books to work from.

We do not do a language or music lessons right now- no budget for them. We hope to sign up to the YMCA at some point- hopefully once we hit summer and don't have as big of heat bills.

It's rough, and I'll be honest- sometimes, I see what people use in their signatures here on the forum, or I see the space and the supplies they have available for use, and I feel like throwing in the towel because I cannot provide that. But when I look at what I can do, it gives me a bit of hope.

I think the best thing you can have is access to a library and to the internet. If you have a university in the area, you can see if they allow the public access in some way. That helped us before we moved- we lived near a library with a huge education department with lots of things in the library. For a $20 fee per year, you could get a community card. I miss that!

Tax Return, that is how is we afford it.

My dh made about just under $20,000 last year. Yes, you read that correct. I don't work outside of the house.

Every tax return I get $1000 for school and I buy as much used as possible, and plan and buy way ahead of when it is needed.

We've always had a small budget too. However, my dh understands the investment into homeschooling so we do. I spend more than I need to, close to 700-1000 /year. We've also homeschooled on a 100.00 for the entire year.

The first thing I do is research and set a realistic budget. I have periodically been drawn to history programs but paying 200 for a program that I don't if it will work was way out of budget.

I spend more on Latin than anything else. That's my priority, so it gets the bulk of the budget.

I also peruse thrift stores and garage sales. I do a lot of research on here and know what programs are well liked and what names to look for. I buy cheap. I also buy most of our readers that way.

I have way more time than money so I try to use that to my advantage and plan, research, bite my nails, plan, and research again before I purchase.

I also look for free and cheap in subjects that I just need something to make do. R&S grammar is affordable and can be reused. If I had multiple children I'd invest in English books and math books that were reusable so they could be passed down.

I save my change. We had amazon prime for a while, but had to let it go until spring probably. I use a coinstar machine to turn my change into amazon gift cards (this is only available at certain coinstar machines.)

I make lists. I have lists of what I'd like to use for the next few years. If I see something close or that for cheap I buy it.

I bartered school books one year. I traded household decor for books.

I really don't buy much for myself. My dh just gave me some money and I used it all for school stuff.

I also give a monetary amount to dh each year. I tell hiim I need this much and we work to budget it. It doesn't always work.

Family is also good sometimes. My parents usually give us some money each year for ds' schooling. I don't ask.

For many years I wasn't able to buy what I wanted and had to make due with what we could afford. It's hard, but it can be done.

Ok, Priscilla you have to stop because I can't read the post through my tears! How is it that someone who has never met me could read a rant from me in a moment of despair and this take her own time to help? Thank you for this! Just knowing that not everyone used all the expensive programs is making me feel better. I did just purchase R&S English 5 used and will pass that down the line. Dd10 is using TT which my mom got last year but I also have started her on Saxon 7/6 which I got for free at a homeschool sale. I have tried to use KISS grammar but can't seem to figure it out so I fall back on the Scott Foresman and free worksheets offline. Oh, and to answer the question about SOTW as much as I love the way it is set up and the overall cost of the program it just doesn't jive with our heavy Christian worldview. Although I am looking at link someone gave me to schedule it along with bible readings. I feel better now and will go back to the grindstone and stop feeling sorry for myself. Thanks ladies!!!!

Yes, Yes, yes. This is what is happening! I pray about it and find peace in the fact that we doing just fine and then I read all these wonderful post about all these great programs and get envious! This year I bought TQ used and have used the library and goodwill, and yard sales. I know they have learned alot. I just start to worry that they aren't being exposed to enough.

Stop hanging out at the curriculum board. Seriously. Stop. It costs me money every time I click the link. ;) Don't go there. At all. Unless it is to ask about free curriculum.

Now with the internet, and Google books and free books for Kindle and the local library and the Gutenburg Project and Ambleside Online there really is no reason for anyone to buy curriculum.

Turn it into a personal challenge.

Off the top of my head:

--I have found lots of great books, textbooks and resource books at Goodwill and used bookstores. So, there's that....:D

--Use your local library to it's full potential. We've even taken work to the library for the day if one of the kids had a lot of research to do.

--Use the internet! Educational games, free printable worksheets, customizable printable worksheets, encyclopedias online, blogs and news sites that are relevant to politics and civics, reading lists by grade, craft ideas, etc.

--If you download the [free] Kindle App for PC using your Amazon account, there are hundreds (thousands?) of free classic books you can download.

--Round out your schedule with free or discounted activities. LOTS of local art galleries, zoos, museums and parks offer special events and/or discounts to homeschoolers. We save money on our local zoo by doing a yearly membership. We recoupe the membership fee after 2 family trips, and basically go the rest of the year for free. Check the closest performing arts center--they sometimes give discounts to homeschool groups.

--For elementary ages, focus on Math, Reading/Literature, Grammar and Writing skills. (I would throw Music into that list of essentials.) You don't have to do a serious science or history curriculum, which frees you up to approach those topics in an easy, exploratory fashion.

Become a sales rep for a curriculum company. Sell enough to have extra to trade for what you want. I've done this for many companies.

Teach other homeschoolers, tutor or run camps summer. Start an academic class day. Teach for Classcial Conversations.

Really develop your homeschooling pedagogy, learn it and stick with it. This will save you tons of time and money. TONS. Research what you need, make a decision and then use what you have. Sometimes something doesn't work.

The all important phrase for life: Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

Read like a mad woman. Be as creative and intentional as you know how to be. Lap books, unit studies, great books. All basically free.

Pray. Ask for wisdome and guidance.

Live generously with what you have. We've been gifted with tons of free curriculum. We've also given away tons of curriculum.

Garage sales, thrift stores and used curriculum sales. If your area doesn't have one- start one and charge $5 per person. You advertise and get first pick.

Edited by laughing lioness

My dh made about just under $20,000 last year. Yes, you read that correct. I don't work outside of the house.

Every tax return I get $1000 for school and I buy as much used as possible, and plan and buy way ahead of when it is needed.

You sure you didn't file *MY* tax return? We were under 20k too!

Tax Return :) Nuff said.

Edited by Mynyel

free ebooks and the library. Seriously!!! You don't have to spend a lot, you just have to be able to afford the internet. If you can afford the internet, you can get virtually everything you need for free. Some ideas? Mep for math (free), Grammar Land for grammar (free), spellingcity for spelling (free), guesthollow for history (free), copywork for writing (free-do your own based on library books), geography on sheppardsoftware.com (free), science-library books! (free), lapbooks-cost of file folders and your time to find images and print, plus cost of ink and paper (cost-small).

It's NOT as much fun as buying curriculum LOL (we have a budget thankfully) but it can be done. Think of it as a game! Good luck.

Off the top of my head:

--If you download the [free] Kindle App for PC using your Amazon account, there are hundreds (thousands?) of free classic books you can download.

How have I not heard of this? Off to check it out. Thanks!

Ok, I have the App downloaded. Is there a way to search for free books without wading through all the rest?

How *I* afford to homeschool: My husband makes around triple what you posted, my ex pays child support (a bit more than your dh is paying out) to me, and we do save some every month to buy what we want. I am not being rude, just saying that our situation is much different and I am not sure how to advise you. You have gotten some good advice here. My prayers are with you as you work through this. I know you are not the first to ever feel this way and I am sure you will not be the last. God bless~!

The first year we homeschooled, we were flat broke due to some astronomical medical expenses. I bought a 5th grade math book off Ebay for $10 (including shipping), recycled an old 3 ring binder, and got a library card. That was it.

We had a great time - checked out science experiment books, history and literature from the library. DS wrote every day and read his way thru the library's Time/Life American history series. We went to the free days at the history museum and free lectures at the library and college.

You sure you didn't file *MY* tax return? We were under 20k too!

Tax Return :) Nuff said.

Same exact situation here. I'm lucky to have a used homeschool bookstore in town, but even then they don't always have what I'm looking for or it's still a little pricey. I go to every yard sale I can that has books listed in the ad especially ones at churches and private schools, I found a lot of stuff this past summer. I go to Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul and the other good local thrift stores. Library book sales are another great resource. We are lucky to have a pretty good city library that also has an inter-library loan program plus we also have a county library system, I haven't thought about checking the local universities and colleges if they have public access. (Thanks for the tip prairiebird!) Used curriculum sales are great, too. I check Craigslist, I've also seen listings on Freecycle for homeschool books and you can always put a wanted listing on there. I check the internet for every possible homeschool site that may have a "for sale" or "swap board". I've bought a lot of used books here. :D

What has also helped me was being able to pick up a part-time, work from home job. My mom does seamstress work for a local baby products company (also work from home, she loves it) and was able to get me hooked up with the business owner to do the product packaging. It's not a lot of money, but it's bought a lot of curriculum and reading books and school supplies. :) I've sold books that I don't want or could do without.

Also, a lot of prayer. Just when I couldn't figure out how I was going to afford something, either dh would be able to pick up an extra shift or I had a larger than usual order for work. :001_smile:

No, they do not provide any books. They do have an online virtual school which would be a last option for us.

We used a few classes with FLVS. Do not count this out! They are VERY parent oriented & parent friendly. Also, you can pick & choose semester long or year long classes. You can also "try" a class for 30 days and drop it before the end of those 30 days with no penalty or record of such.

Our ds used some of them so he could graduate a year early and we liked it. I did have to hire a tutor for Calculus, lol! Just saying, don't totally chunk this option. It's free and you can try it with no risk.

By the way, we have been on both ends of the spectrum. I know how difficult it is to budget or find free things. Hang in there lady, it's an investment in their future and I am sure you are doing a great job!! :D

Do you know anyone who uses the curriuclum you wish you could? I buy new curriculum each year, but we plan for it by saving each month. I don't want to get rid of it between kids and rebuy, so I keep it and only rebuy the consumables. Instead of storing years worth, I loan it to very trustworthy friends. I don't charge for it, but do get them to promise to return or replace it if it gets damaged beyond use. It's worth it to me just not to have to find storage room or dust all those books. Do you have any friends who have kids in different grades who you think may be willing to loan on a promise to return?

We used a few classes with FLVS. Do not count this out! They are VERY parent oriented & parent friendly. Also, you can pick & choose semester long or year long classes. You can also "try" a class for 30 days and drop it before the end of those 30 days with no penalty or record of such.

Our ds used some of them so he could graduate a year early and we liked it. I did have to hire a tutor for Calculus, lol! Just saying, don't totally chunk this option. It's free and you can try it with no risk.

By the way, we have been on both ends of the spectrum. I know how difficult it is to budget or find free things. Hang in there lady, it's an investment in their future and I am sure you are doing a great job!! :D

I'll have to look into FLVS again maybe for the grammar and math. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Do you know anyone who uses the curriuclum you wish you could? I buy new curriculum each year, but we plan for it by saving each month. I don't want to get rid of it between kids and rebuy, so I keep it and only rebuy the consumables. Instead of storing years worth, I loan it to very trustworthy friends. I don't charge for it, but do get them to promise to return or replace it if it gets damaged beyond use. It's worth it to me just not to have to find storage room or dust all those books. Do you have any friends who have kids in different grades who you think may be willing to loan on a promise to return?

Not really any I can think of. I don't know alot of people where we are and the few I do know have kids much older than mine but I will give it more thought. Thanks!

You really don't need TOG, MFW, etc. Expensive history and science programs are a luxury item, imho.

When we had very little money for homeschooling, I started with the core subjects. Math, grammar, reading, and writing got the first portion of what I had. Others have posted some great free online resources. Buy non-consumables, like the Saxon math you mentioned. There are so, so many Latin resources online= - I blogged about doing Latin on the cheap here.

We used a lot from the library. If they don't already have OPGTR, Singapore Math, SOTW, and other materials, ask them to purchase them. Ours had those, plus the Ruth Beechick books, which I used to make my own English program. Other than that, we just checked out piles and piles of books each week. I shopped library book sales and built our home library of children's literature for $.10-$.25 each.

Do you have a local homeschool yahoo list? Ask for what you need, even if it is just to borrow for a year.

Just remember that half the time the curriculum gets in the way, and being able to afford to switch curriculum and buy a lot of it isn't really such a blessing. What matters is the interaction between you and your children; that's where learning happens!! :001_smile:

I go to the bi annual library sales where I can pick up books for quarters. I then go back after the sale is over and get boxes of books for free. I hit the UBS. MOST of my spectacular finds have been at those library sales.

Now that I have a kindle I could probably do most of AO for free (other than the kindle).

I don't use expensive currics no matter how pretty they are. Actually, those purchases have been the biggest mistakes of my HS career. All you *really* need are math and Latin (perhaps a modern language if you're inclined). The rest you can piece together between the library and used books. Really.

Stop hanging out at the curriculum board. Seriously. Stop. It costs me money every time I click the link. ;) Don't go there. At all. Unless it is to ask about free curriculum.

Now with the internet, and Google books and free books for Kindle and the local library and the Gutenburg Project and Ambleside Online there really is no reason for anyone to buy curriculum.

:glare:Every time I come here I find I don't like what I am using. The grass isn't greener just because it costs more.

Look through Sonlight's catalog and check their books out of the library for readers and read-alouds. I would imagine that some of the history read alouds are there as well. I have heard Goodwill sometimes has some books. Enchanted Learnings website has alot of educational things to print off. I think their membership is $20.00 a year(not sure though).

I go to the bi annual library sales where I can pick up books for quarters. I then go back after the sale is over and get boxes of books for free. I hit the UBS. MOST of my spectacular finds have been at those library sales.

Love, love, love library sales! We have found fabulous books for cheap, cheap, cheap! I bought banana boxes full of books for $10. Some I kept, and some I sold to make $$ for curriculum I wanted.

Also, we lived in central Florida, and the school boards there had book depositories where they put all of the books they discontinued or pulled from library shelves. They were open select hours, and sometimes we got brand new material because the curriculum publishers sent the school system entire kits to peruse trying to get them to change publishers. Check with your local school board and see what they do with their old books. We have lots of older hardbacks on our shelves because of this!

I am impressed by all the people that only use the library, frequent lots of used book and curriculum sales, and otherwise find cheap resources. I'm too scatterbrained and disorganized to do that, and trying was a major strain on my mental health.

We don't make much money, either, and use our tax return to pay for school materials each year. I justify the expense as it is so much easier on me to have something that is mostly open and go.

I buy ALL used! I sell all my old hs curriculum to buy what I need for the next year.

Me too. My financial situation sounds very much like the OP's, except that while my dh makes well under $30,000 per year, he doesn't have to pay additional child support as her dh does, and we do not have insurance.

With a few, rare and inexpensive exceptions, I buy used materials only. I generally spend under $200 per year per child, and that money usually comes from our tax refund.

:iagree:. It might take you more time to pull it together, but honestly, I could have done that rather than spend many thousands of $ and HOURS because I visited the curriculum board so much.

I always had this sense that my son struggled because it was the wrong curriculum (in retrospct, I could have just stuck with the first thing I bought. He struggled anyway. ) ANd...I kept thinking I could add in wonderful new subjects...but there are only so many hours in the day.

Nowadays I am much more minimalist and if I had my time to do it again I would keep it very simple.

In my state, if you opt to homeschool you are given a check from the state for $2000 annually per child you homeschool and are allowed a tax deduction of $4000 dollars since you are not using the public schools....

(ok....so the above isn't at all true....but it sounded REALLY good, eh?).

Seriously......I teach a night class at a local college and use this money for homeschooling stuff.

My two favorites this year have been the cheapest:

Webster's Speller, my all time favorite phonics program despite owning 20. (Can be totally free, I print it out for convenience although I usually teach it from my white board.)

The Wright Brothers, the Landmark series, an old hardback book $1 thrift store find. We were playing a trivia game last night, my children got a question about the Wright brothers' names, my son came up with their sister's name, but couldn't remember Orville or Wilbur! My husband stated that not many people would know their sister's name!! (They remember all kinds of weird things from the book, but neither of them could come up with the names, although once told the names, they remembered that Orville's nickname was Orv.)

Chat to people. It's amazing the things that will come your way. A lady I had never met before came through my register at work years ago and we talked about local history for some reason. She came back the next day with a copy of an out of print, local history book (I had grown up about 20 mins away and knew that area, but less about where we were talking of that day) and I never saw her again.

Rosie

I have a tight budget as well. This is what works for me:

-I write my own curriculum, using suggestions from places like Ambleside and simplycharlottemason.com. I spend hours scouring the internet for free ideas, activities, worksheets, etc.

-I use a lot of free books. Librivox.org and mainlesson.com are two of my favorite sites. I'll spend the time to download to my mp3 player or to cut/paste/print. Currclick.com has had some really great deals too.

-I'll buy used for some things, and for others, I just budget carefully. I watch amazon for sales, 3-for-4 promotions, etc. Our tax refund will buy a few things for next year too, probably.

-We have supportive family, so they will get stuff for us, or (very often), I'll ask my mom if she has a particular item in her own homeschool library, left from my siblings.

-I budget a small amount of money every month for homeschooling -- it isn't much, but it covers the smaller stuff that creeps up now and then.

-I make my library work for me! I buy the spine books, like SOTW, but I use all sorts of supplemental books from my library. I can get stuff from three county library systems easily, and from the rest of the state with a bit more effort. A supplemental book has to be pretty amazing for me to buy it outright.

-Next year's math book for my 4th grader is probably going to be from our co-op's lending library. (It looks pretty decent, and really, I'm comfortable teaching math; this book will just be a guide for topics/skills and for ease of practice problems.)

I think I tend to invest a lot of time into putting together our plans, moreso than investing money. I don't think it has to be expensive; people did homeschool at one point with little more than the Bible, so I figure everything else is icing on the cake.