Menu

Help--library fines are KILLING me!!

What should I do about my library problem?  

1. 1. What should I do about my library problem?

• Get organized somehow. (please tell me how!)
    • Quit taking home so many books.
    • Forget the library and go shopping instead.
    • Obligatory other.

We use the library are heavily...and it seems like every 3-4 months we have to pay big fines. It drives my husband nuts. For the most part I feel like it's just the cost of using the library, but lately it's just getting to be too much. So, my options as I see them:

*Keep using the library, but get an organizational system in place to keep track of library books. If you use the library heavily, how do you keep from losing books? I like them to be able to take books to bed, but it seems like that is how they get misplaced for months at a time.

*Use the library, but limit the amount of books checked out so I don't have so many to keep track of. It seems like we do better when we have less than 50 books out and go every week. But inevitably we have weeks where we can't make it in or weeks where we leave the books at home and end up with more books than we can keep track of, thus perpetuating my problem.

*Quit using the library and just order from Amazon or go to Half Price Books. Lately I'm drawn to this option, but the problem I have is that we can't get the volume of books this way that we can at the library. Of course, we do get to keep what we buy, and sometimes it seems like we don't read most of what we check out at the library anyway (though we do have to pay for it whether we read it or not.)

*Obligatory other.

What have you done? Any helpful tips on making the library work, or ditching it altogether???

Thanks!

I would make heavy use of renewals and checking online. If you can't make it to the library on time, renew the book and make the kid find it right then. This is how I avoid fines. Also our library lets me know when a book is going to be overdue via email 3 days before, which is REALLY handy.

The only way I could solve it:

We went to the library every Wednesday, without fail. When we came home, library books went into a basket (a very cute basket, BTW, which I had lined with beautimous fabric :D ). ALL BOOKS WENT BACK TO THE LIBRARY every week, whether they had been finished or not. No exceptions. Ever.

Maybe that was a little extreme, but it worked for us.

After my last library charged me an outrageous fine that wasn't my fault (I rechecked over the internet, but somehow there was a glitch), I started buying for my personal library. We move every so often. Some libraries are great with a lot of variety. Some libraries (current) are very small. Either way I was looking at checking out curriculum books with each child. Just the thought made me tired.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Last year I spent over $80 in library fines! :glare:

This year I just bought all of my books and it is much nicer.

Write out a list of books you need and go to Goodwill. They have tons of good books, and other thrift stores. I have a list for next year that I always look for. Also, ebay and amazon have great finds. I got a book I needed this year for $2 and free shipping. The book retail was $13.99.

I would make heavy use of renewals and checking online. If you can't make it to the library on time, renew the book and make the kid find it right then. This is how I avoid fines. Also our library lets me know when a book is going to be overdue via email 3 days before, which is REALLY handy.

:iagree:

Use google calendar or some other such program to send you a reminder to renew or return books.

Have a designated library day. For us, this is Thursday. I check the libraries website Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, renew books we still need and round up books that must go back.

I stopped using the library when they cut the check-out time from 3 to 2 weeks. I just couldn't remember that and paid fines every 3 weeks. Finally I got angry and just stopped going. I have to confess we read less now because of it. I can't afford to buy lots of books. Flimsy excuse but I am absolutely ticked at my library system. Not only did they cut the check-out time, they lowered business hours and every time I thought about going to the library, they were closed. I just can't coordinate that schedule very well.

I don't know, I almost never have overdue library fees (I think it's happened like twice ever and then only by a day, with one book). I've been known to jot down on my personal desk calendar (which I check first thing every single day) the date when library books are due back (I usually write it in for a day before so I have that extra day to play with if it sneaks up on me).

Then I make sure I go.

And if I really can't or don't want to go, I go online and renew the books. Then I write the new date down.

I don't take out more books at any given visit than I think can reasonably be read in that amount of time.

And while I do let my daughter bring A (as in one at a time) library book up to her room to read in bed, if she was having problems with losing said library book, then I would no longer let her do that and she'd have to read from it in the main living area and when she was done, return it to the designated spot for library books. (We do have a designated spot for library books). She'd have to read non-library books in bed instead if that were a problem.

You know I just yesterday ordered dd a book from amazon for 43 cents.

I lived for years in areas where the libraries did not charge over due fees. It was something I was not able to get used to quickly enough in the new town. I've got $100.00 of fines to pay before I'm ever able to check out books again.

At 2 books for a buck on Amazon for the $100 I can get roughly 200 books.

I have a large bin that I use for school books. You can see a picture at my blog. The bin has dividers for history/geography, science, and fine arts. When I bring home a stack of books, I then organize them by week. For example, I put a sticky on the first book for a topic - say, Canada. So then I have all our Canada books together, ready to go. Each day I pull out a new book or two and then when we're done with it I place it in a library tote that I keep next to the bin. I try to make it a habit once a week to go online and see what's due that week or what needs to be renewed. I also get automatic email reminders from the library. I usually make a trip to the library at the end of each week to return books.

For pleasure reading, I have another basket near the kids bedrooms to store library books. Those are a little harder to keep track of, but if they're not in the basket they are usually in their rooms or the car. I've had to start limiting the number of pleasure reading books checked out at one time to keep it under control. I've also told the kids they will pay the fines if they can't find their books.

1. Keep the library books in the same place in the house. I use an entire bookshelf just for library books. Some books wander as we read them, but for the most part, they live in the bookcase.

2. Put the due dates on your calendar or homeschool planner the moment you get home. If you forget to when you get home, make a routine of going online and looking up your library account and then putting the due dates on your calendar or homeschool planner. I check my library account at the same time I check my email each day.

3. On the due date, either renew or return the books. I renew books a billion times before returning them.

4. Every time you go to the library, make a sweep of the house and return everything that you can possibly return.

P.S. Library books in bed can lead to bed bugs in bed. Just sayin'...

I've done a combination:

I have built a large home library of literature - from library sales, gifts, etc - so most of the books they take to read in bed are our own.

I also have shelves dedicated to library books. The book may be taken from the shelf, but then it must be brought back when they are finished. That is generally our rule for all books, as someone else might actually want the book that you squirreled away in your desk drawer. :glare:

I am also the queen of library fines. I have bought a big storage box (similar to a bankers box) from Ikea and it sits in the living room. I am trying to make a habit of putting the books in the box when I find them around the house or when I finish reading them. Then it is easy to just put the box in the car and return them. I am also trying to get better at renewing online. I did once go the route of buying from Amazon or Half-Price, but for books that we are really going to need one time (such as those recommended in the SOTW activity guide) it just doesn't make sense. Our shelves are bulging already. If you like your library then I would try to make it work somehow.

It is funny because I have had this problem since I was a kid. I am a librarian now too and have to deal with other people not returning books.

Lesley

I stop by the library at least once a week, sometimes twice. Prior to each trip, I round up the books we no longer need and return them. The library emails me a few days before the due date. I look for any stray books at that point. If I can't find one of them, I renew the book and continue looking. So far we have not permanently lost any books.

Holds are more of a hassle to me than due dates. My library will only hold books for 5 days. Often a book I request comes in just after my trip to the library, necessitating a second trip that week.

I buy the books I consider core. These are books I absolutely need at a certain time and books that we will need for more than three weeks. I cannot afford all the books we read.

I voted organization....

We are HEAVY users of our library system- I usually have 2 cards maxxed out most of the time (70 items), but since we are studying geography this year we are constantly changing subjects so I rarely keep books for the 3 week term. I'm typically at the library 2x a week.

First, have a place for books/items. I have a library book bin for school books in school room. The kids & I keep personal books on our bed-stands. Movies go on top of the DVD player. Those 3 'catch-all' places really help. Occasionally a book will be under a bed, but I keep track of our account and know what to look for.

Secondly, use any online resources possible (as pp's mentioned). Online renewal & account management really, really helps. I've opted in for email reminders of due dates as well.

This is what works here also. We go to the library every Weds, so on Weds morn I renew everything that's due that day. That way if I can't find a book or if something comes up and I don't make it to the library then I only get fined on the few books that won't renew.

Our library also has an email notification system and it's really helpful for those times that I've gone to the library other than Weds. Having a regular library day helps a lot--I always know I have books due on Weds. Back when we didn't have email notification, I'd take my receipt and attach it to my calendar. I also wrote the due date on the calendar.

Another thought--if your library doesn't give receipts you could stack the books spine side down on the photocopier and get a quick copy of the titles you have checked out.

Cinder

If your library has email reminders and online renewal, take advantage of that service! That's what has made the biggest difference for us.

No, I take that back. Email reminders have made a big difference, because the reminder includes a list of which books are due. But the biggest difference has been, as others have suggested, a regular weekly library day. I take back any books the boys are done with, all of the school books we've read, and anything that I know will be due before our next trip.

I let the kids read all over the house. I encourage them to return the books to the library shelf, and they've gotten good at remembering, but not perfect. Once a week, before library day, we make a library book sweep and look in the play room, under beds, upstairs for library books. I sometimes check the email reminder list to make sure we've got everything, but not always. When I had a huge problem with misplaced books, I printed the list weekly and took it to the library shelf with me while I decided what needed to go back, so that I'd know if a book was missing.

Cat

Guest TheBugsMom

I use to rack up HUGE fees on my card, then use dh's card and wind up racking up HUGE fees on his card, and on my 3 sons cards. This year I waited until fine forgiveness day and had all the fines pardoned and made our new system to manage library books. We go to the library weekly (same day) and check out tons of books. When we get home, I put the books the kids need to read in a special place on their desks and the rest in a book basket. DVD's and holiday books (which have a 1 week check out) go in a basket all their own. After we finish reading a library book it goes into our library bag to bring back the next week. Before we leave the house to go to the library, I grab all the items in the one week basket and check any due dates on the other books. When I am checking out the books I always ask if any books are due within the week and have those renewed. This seems so simple but has made a big difference in book management and no late fees since we started this.

When my first 4 were about the same ages as your children, (9, 8, 7, 3), I allowed them to have as many books as they had years. If my oldest only returned 7 books the next week, he only got to check out 7 books instead of his alloted 9. School books were not included in their total. What I found helped the best was LOCATING all books every week. We could keep any book longer, but I had to locate the book every week or it would get lost & forgotten. ;)

I have the exact same problem. I vote for 2 things so I didn't vote in the poll. Get organized and check out less books.

My biggest fines are from my kids losing/damaging books that I have to then replace. So I am severely limiting the books they check out. We have plenty of books at home to read while we wait for them to mature in their book handling responsiblities.

My oldest two have a paper route and hence their own money. So they have their own library card and are responsible for their own late fees and damaged/lost books. That solves that problem.

That just leaves me. :001_smile: I can check online to see when my books are due I just need to DO IT!! Maybe write it on the calendar. I have good intentions it's just the follow through. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I have a friend who is super organized with her library books. I think the key for her is that she puts everything on hold. Makes a trip to the library once a week to pick up her holds and drop off what's due or no longer needed. She lives a bit further away from the library. My problem is that the library is right down the road so when one of my holds comes in I flit off and get it immediately. So my due dates are all over the calendar. It is hard to keep track.

Edited by silliness7

Other - move to my town. There are no library fees. :D

I have no idea how I'd manage if there were fines to pay - I'd probably go broke! But then the lack of fines has made me rather cavalier about where my books are and when they should go back... :blush:

We can pay $1 to a charity of the month in lieu of any overdue fees when we return books. It has definitely made me more relaxed about keeping a book past its due date. :blushing:

I like to shop library sales and other places to buy used books. I can buy the same titles for dirt cheap...much less $ than the fines I've racked up. I don't generally buy the book unless it's REALLY cheap or REALLY wanted.

Having a good little library at home (from the library sales), I then feel better able to be more choosy about books we check out from the library, reducing the number of books to keep track of.

I keep a library rolling tote...and we have a spot to hang audio-book bags. I occasionally look up online what books we have out and make sure all our books are present and accounted for. I use the online renewing all the time. I will renew books even if I intend to take them back tomorrow, simply to avoid fines....b/c life happens, I forget, and having all the books due the 3rd week of Nov is easy for me to remember.

Movies...those things are $1/day. I don't check those out.

This is what we do:

1-We have a library shelf that houses all library books. The children are allowed on book off the shelf at a time. They must replace it before choosing another. Also, younger kiddos must look at the book with a parent so as to keep the book from being lost or harmed unintentionally!

2-We house the library bag next to the library shelf. If they are finished with the book, it is returned to the bag rather than the shelf.

3-We hit the library once a week. The books in the bag, and all those that couldn't be renewed online are returned. If the child was not finished with the book that cannot be renewed, we ask the librarian to hold it for us again.

4. My library sends me an email a few days before the books are due. I can also access my account to renew/check up on everything that is checked out. This saves a lot of confusion.

5. If my child doesn't follow the rules and it is directly their fault that a fine is charged, they pay for it out of their allowance. Since they are young and cannot drive, the book not being returned by the due date is my fault. If it is not returned because the lost it, it is their fault. This helps motivate them to keep an eye out for the book and to not take more than one off the shelf.

6. I try to keep a big personal library, and buy lots of used books for both school and leisure at the goodwill and library sales. This cuts down on the amount checked out at any one time.

My librarians at our little (non-computerized) branch used to give me a lot of grace on late books, and the aide had a "we'll see" attitude when they computerized. I know she thought I'd have tons of fines. But I use the Library Elf reminder system (they will add your library if it's not in their system), and their email reminders work like a charm for me. The library system offers reminders now, too, but I have stuck with Library Elf, just because.

Yes, make it a weekly chore to renew online if you can't get to the library.

Also, our library will "hold" late fees if you report a book missing. This gives us time to find something that's gotten lost

When we go to our library day (we go every other week), I get online the night before, recheck items we want to keep (or I can't find) and gather everything up ready to go for the next day. I've tried other ways of organizing, but they honestly make things more complicated for me. Now I pay a dollar or two every couple of months, and I'm okay with that.

Also, when we got a branch very near us, that helped me a lot. I just wouldn't drive all the way across town to return. Do you possibly have a book return closer to your house that you could use?

I'd try to get better organized and I would limit the number of books I took out.

Our library just went from a no-fine system to having fines, so I am now marking on my calendar the due date for the books when I take them out. (I just put the earliest due date on my calendar if we have multiple due dates.) I have a shelf where we keep most of the books and that helps as well. As we approach the due date, I go on-line and renew all the books I can in case for some reason I can't get to the library. I am also being more careful about returning books we are done with rather than just holding onto them, so that we have a fewer amount of books at home if we should miss a due date.

Lisa

ETA: Another change I made was that everything gets checked out on my library card now. I can't keep track of the kids' cards and the many different due dates that would lead to.

Edited by LisaTheresa

our library is on line, so that helps

but the one in the town next to us that has way better books is not this is what we do

Each child has a card the receipt that comes with the check out goes on the family board and is used to collect books the next week.

and set limit to how many books to check out total

they can recheck the day we go,

my son checks out 5 books one week, when we go back to library he must bring 5 books with him. It is rechecked out at that time or returned.

I am the worst offender, I over take books, making sure I have enough

I too have a limit of 15 per week.

I bring 15 each time, and return or recheck

it is a bit of a pain, but I would rather do that and pay and have ice cream after the library than pay fines

for the library that is on line, that is part of the schedule that day, for each child to collect books and or renew on line, they must first collect them all and show "due cause" to be able to renew.....can't find is not due cause.

We use http://www.libraryelf.com to keep track of our library books. It's $20/year for up to 5 cards. It condenses each account's holds, books due, etc. And emails me the day before they are due and every day after that until they're returned. My DH gets an automatic CC of the emails since he works close to our library. It has saved us hundreds in fines.

i have a big ll bean bag by my bookshelves and they all stay there unless someone is reading them. We go bi weekly, PERIOD (and I'm trying to go more as it's not even a block away).

if it's something I find I'm going to use all of the time, I buy it.

we only take out what we will read in the two week period. If I need it more than a month, I buy it.

1. Go to the library on a schedule (everyother Monday?), put it on your calendar.

2. If the library does not give you a printed reciept with all the titles you check out, get a composition book to devote to recording the titles of books and the due date.

3. At home keep all the books together (a shelf, a basket). Keep your list or notebook of checked out books in the designated space. If a child takes a book to his room he needs to account for it. If your day has an official "free reading" time start the period by checking where all the books are and accounting for books that are not in the designated place.

4. The day before "library day" account for all books and put them into your library bag for return.

If a child gets an allowance or other money and that child is responsible for a late or lost book, he must be responsible for paying the fine. Children without an income source must have some way to "pay" (extra chores).

Edited by betty
-

Some things I do:

I have printed out the list of books I have checked out. I get emails letting me know my books need to be renewed. If I need to return a book, I find it and return it.

I have a library bag at the back door for finished books to go into.

Though we have never lost a book (lost a video -- it was used to support the cardboard in a board game, accidentally left there, and found a year later, LOL), Aaron did leave one in the rain, and I made him pay for it.

I vote for making kids pay for lost books and fines from not being able to find the book.

We use the library are heavily...and it seems like every 3-4 months we have to pay big fines. It drives my husband nuts. For the most part I feel like it's just the cost of using the library, but lately it's just getting to be too much. So, my options as I see them:

*Keep using the library, but get an organizational system in place to keep track of library books. If you use the library heavily, how do you keep from losing books? I like them to be able to take books to bed, but it seems like that is how they get misplaced for months at a time.

*Use the library, but limit the amount of books checked out so I don't have so many to keep track of. It seems like we do better when we have less than 50 books out and go every week. But inevitably we have weeks where we can't make it in or weeks where we leave the books at home and end up with more books than we can keep track of, thus perpetuating my problem.

*Quit using the library and just order from Amazon or go to Half Price Books. Lately I'm drawn to this option, but the problem I have is that we can't get the volume of books this way that we can at the library. Of course, we do get to keep what we buy, and sometimes it seems like we don't read most of what we check out at the library anyway (though we do have to pay for it whether we read it or not.)

*Obligatory other.

What have you done? Any helpful tips on making the library work, or ditching it altogether???

Thanks!

I voted get organized, but I also think that if you can't manage the amount of books you check out, then don't check out so many.

Trust me when I say that your library would much prefer you communicate with them and request renewals than they would charge you fines. Librarians get nervous when books are egregiously overdue. We tend to think we'll never get them back.

Some things that I know people do to keep on top of books:

1. Have library bookbags. These are where all your library books must go when you are not actually reading them. Have one bag that is for books you are done using and need to be returned. Take that bag with you on every single visit to the library.
  2. Go to the library on a regular day. For ex. go every other Friday. Or every Tuesday. Then you will always know that books are to be going back or renewed nearly every time you go.
  3. Mark your calendar to remind you when books are due. If you have a device (like a BlackBerry), set it to remind you about your books. Set it to nag the heck out of you, if necessary.
  4. If your library does not clearly mark the due dates on your books (many don't anymore, unfortunately), then get yourself a bunch of those little tiny post-its and put the date in them yourself as soon as you get them home!
  5. Use your library's system to your advantage. If they are set up so that you can renew your books online, then do it! Use your calendar or device to remind you to do it. If your library doesn't have an online renewal system, then use your calendar or device to remind you to call your library to request renewals. When your library will not allow you to renew (usually because someone else wants the book or you've renewed it the maximum times), then make sure you set that book in your bag of books to be returned.

With the amount of books that we go through, it's just the law of averages. Some of them are going to end up lost or torn or damaged. When that has happened in the past, I've always had the guilty party cough up the cash via allowance or birthday money or whatever else they have on hand.

However - last summer we went on a family vacation to the beach and took library books with us. Unfortunately one night, there was a torrential rainstorm, and it rained into our tent, and also into the back of our truck which was covered. Our sleeping bags were soaked, our clean clothes were soaked, and of course, most of the books were soaked and most were ruined.

We've tried to make financial amends with the library, but they haven't returned our multiple phone calls and until it's settled, we have no library privileges. *sigh* :(

In the meantime, I've been buying used books from Goodwill and Powell's used books (http://www.powells.com). I love the latter, because if you order in bulk (more than $50) you get free shipping. When we're finished with them, I donate them back to Goodwill or pass them on to friends.

Our library just increased their fines and decreased the amount of time books can be checked out. Major pain!!

1. get a book bag (or 2) and store library books in them. We have 3 - one for each dc and one for me. I know a couple families who use baskets. The books are kept there when not in use. After being read, it is returned to that bag - not left on a table, desk, or some such. If it is something they want to keep in their room for bedtime reading, then that is the only book out of the bag. No scattering library books about the house.

2. check out fewer books. Until everyone can be responsible about keeping track of their library books, reduce the number of books to keep track of.

3. if your library has online renewal, then use that service. Even if you are done with the book, but are not able to get to the library in time, renew it!

4. note when books are due. I use the online service our library offers and check it every Monday. If books are due that week, I make note of it and tack it onto whatever errands will be done. If you do not have an online service, write it on your calendar or day planner. Write the book(s) due on the date it is due and plan to get there that day or the day before.

My vote is to get organized.

What we do:

We go every Monday afternoon. So there is never a question about what day of the week something is due. And if everything is returned the following week we don't have late books b/c books are loaned out for two weeks at a time. If they want to keep a book another week they can.

Each of my kids has their own bag. I have a bag. They are responsible for keeping track of their books. They know that when they are done reading it, put it back in their bag. In addition they know that if they take it out of my bag, it goes back in my bag.

I have a shelf in our school area specifically for school related items (i.e. History, Science). When we bring books home those books go on that shelf. When they are due they go from the shelf into my bag.

Before we go to the library on Mondays they each check their record online to make sure they have all of their books. If they can't find one and it's due, they renew it for another two weeks to give themselves a chance to find it. When we check books out they get a receipt showing the items they have but those are usually a pain to keep track of so we just use the online record.

Unfortunately one night, there was a torrential rainstorm, and it rained into our tent, and also into the back of our truck which was covered. Our sleeping bags were soaked, our clean clothes were soaked, and of course, most of the books were soaked and most were ruined.

My ds dropped a couple books in the fish tank when he was about 2yrs old. :lol:

If you are routinely checking out more books than you can read, and are having difficulty keeping track of them, I would honestly scale back. This gives you fewer books to keep track of, and gives other patrons a chance to use the books.

Maybe let each child check out 5 books at a time, and designate a bin or shelf spot for each child. At a glance, you can then see how many of their books are missing. If they do well with the system then you could bump them up to more books, but I would definitely keep it reasonable. If they lose a book, I would hold them responsible for the fine.

I don't give my kids unlimited check-outs. If they want to browse or skim they can do that in the library. We own a TON of books that I've bought for $.50 to $1.00 at the thrift stores so there's always something to read at home. I have a number of large reference books that we use regularly so I don't often need a bunch of supplemental books. If I do need them, I only check out what we can reasonably use in the 3-week checkout period. I never have a problem with fines.

I put down "get organized", but I'm not sure how. I just paid $20 in fines a couple of weeks ago. One thing I'm trying to do is keep our library books separate and I'm also trying to have a set library day to go every 2 weeks and make sure I take everything back. My fines are horrible and I don't tell dh about them because if I did he'd kill me! He can't understand how I could be so completely irresponsible because it is a total waste of money. I can't understand it either.

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it!

You guys had some great ideas. I think I'll probably end up doing a hybrid--I do need to scale back, I think I can manage about 40-50 books before it gets to be too much (our limit is 100). I could probably get our curriculum books at the library and get pleasure reading books from the used bookstores. And I like the basket idea and only letting the kids have one book out at a time. I think a weekly library day is a must also.

We do have email reminders. I have it set up. I can also renew online if my fines are below $10. I tend to ignore the email reminders when I start getting them every day and when they contain more than 8 books each day. Which is, of course, when I should be paying the MOST attention. :P

Right now we owe $25 for a book that I honestly don't think we checked out. And an embarrassing amount just in fines. I went in and talked to the librarian last week, she wouldn't work with me at all. :( I had to leave the library with my 7-year-old asking why she couldn't take home the Amelia Bedilia books she'd been looking forward to reading for days.

<deep breath> Ok. I can do this. Right now I just have 12 books to locate, then I need to pay my fine and then we'll start fresh.

Thanks again, everyone!

Have a designated library day. For us, this is Thursday. I check the libraries website Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, renew books we still need and round up books that must go back.

This is what we do, only Tuesday is our day. We don't have a designated spot, but books are usually in one of 3 places: school room, DS's bedroom, or my bedroom. A few times I've had to search for an item, but not too often. I usually have upwards to 60 items out at a time on 2 accounts.