Menu

Poll: Do you squish your meatloaf ingredients with your (clean) hands?

Using hands to mix meatloaf  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Using hands to mix meatloaf

• Yes!
    • No
    • Other (I use my toes instead)

I was just teaching dd8 to make meatloaf. We both agree that the best part is using your hands to mix all the ingredients together. The way it squishes through your fingers is cool!

So then I wondered - am I alone in this method of meatloaf mixing? I believe it was passed on down to me from my mother. . .

Where is the poll, so that I can tick "Other" ?

I can't abide the horrible feel of raw meat. I never have made a meatloaf in my life ! (nor served one to the family)

All-butter shortbread -- now that cries out for "hands-on" -- or, better, "hands-in" -- preparation ! :)

P.S. Mine is not an "anti-meat rant". I serve meat to those in the family who want it; I just avoid handling the stuff as much as is possible.

P.S. #2. Now the poll is showing up.

Also, if the alternative is to put the meat in a food processor, I do not recommend that at all. I run ground meat through a food processor only if I am making kibbeh, or some other dish that uses the meat in "goo form". Meat loaf needs those individual "bits" for proper structure. I think that hands are required.

Edited by Orthodox6

I do, but with latex gloves on. I don't like having to scrape the old meat out from under my fingernails :ack2: EEEEWWWWW

If I don't have the luxury of gloves, I try to just use the palm of my hands.

I wear rubber gloves that I have just thoroughly washed. I mix it up then soap up those rubber gloves all over again.

Never thought of using the stand mixer! I think I will do that instead!

~Cyndi (who is now swearing to use the stand mixer for gross and yucky things!)

Thanks for the tip. It never occurred to me to use my stand mixer. One more way to amortize that big purchase:). While touching the meat doesn't bother me that much (I usually have to touch it to make burgers or form the meatloaf), but I can't stand the fact that, no matter how much I wash my hands afterward, I am never convinced they are clean.

Veg here but I voted yes b/c if I did make it, I would use my hands. I use them for bread making and other things like that that I can't think of just now.

It would assume, of course, that I could stand to stick my hands into a bowl of raw meat . . . being veg and all.

I voted no. I go to my local butcher and say, "Can I please have 2 lbs of your meatloaf. Thanks." They make awesome meatloaf mix from ground beef and pork they grind in-house. We don't eat meatloaf but maybe 4x a year though.

Yes. Mixing meatloaf with my hands was one of my childhood dinner-making chores. I detested it. I no longer make or eat meatloaf.

One of my kids loves meatloaf. She gets Grandma to make it for her, 'cause Mom refuses!

Hands are the best cooking utensil around! I don't make it anymore, but when I did make meatloaf, it was hands all the way, baby.

One has to feel the meat squish through one's fingers to properly mix all the seasonings, bread crumbs and the egg - that is how I was taught anyway. :)

• 11 years later...