Menu

Spin Off: Kids alone overnights........

In the 15 year old alone/should my dd "babysit" thread, it was asked why can't a 15 year old stay alone for 2 days.

I am *usually* one of the more liberal in those type of decisions posters here. I *have* a 15 year old male and there is no way I'd leave him alone for a couple of days. I don't think he's off the scale immature or responsible; he's average.

I still have my next door neighbor check on my kids on Saturdays if DH is not home and I am working (I work 1 - 8 Saturdays). She usually drops by every hour or so. My kids are 15, 13 and 11.

At what age would you leave a child(ren) unattended overnight?

I was probably left alone at that age, but would be pretty uncomfortable leaving my teen overnight or even all day. It's not a safety concern though. He could handle it, but he's the absent-minded professor type. I think he'd probably forget to eat...

I think there's just WAY too much temptation and opportunity for evil available to unsupervised teens....even "good" teens! I have a son that would do great by himself.....very independent, responsible, honest, trustworthy, etc., BUT as his parent we need to protect them from themselves, sometimes. And this means not purposely putting them in situations that might cause them to stumble, if you know what I mean.

I think it depends on the individual child, but even with a very mature and responsible child, I don't think I would leave them alone overnight unless they could (legally) drive. On the other hand, I was left alone overnight at that age with the phone number of nearby family and neighbors, and no harm came of it.

My parents left me alone for 3 days with my 5 younger siblings when I was almost 16. I remember because I couldn't drive yet. They had someone who we could call and would check up on us and take us to church, but that was it. I was pretty much in complete control. And I handled it just fine. I was a really mature 15 year old, though, and I'm not sure that I would ever allow my kids to do the same, and I'd probably think someone was being irresponsible if I heard they did it.

I don't have teens myself yet, but have to say that I took off with two other girls on a month-long trip through Europe, stayed in hostels and took trains overnight. I was 17, the other two girls were 16.

My mom wasn't going to allow it, but the woman I was living with in Germany at the time pointed out to my mom that at that age she was fleeing both the Nazis and the Russians while escaping over the ice on the North Sea with nothing but a broom to her name, and she was sure we could handle youth hostels. Guess it's all perspective... ;)

All that said, I don't know if I'd let a 15 year old boy stay in the house overnight, especially for more than a day... my brother did lots of things he shouldn't have at that age, and he was a "good" boy... it was just typical stupid boy stuff, but he managed to squeeze it in during after school hours.

When I was a junior in highschool (would that make me about 15-16?) I stayed at my aunt's farm and cared for my younger cousins (they were grammar school age) for a week. I was very responsible. I got them ready for the bus, then I drove myself to school. they got off the bus at their nearby grandmother's house (about 5 miles away), then she would bring them home after I got home from my after-school activities. I gave them dinner, put them to bed and did it all again. For a week.

Oh, I also did all the chores. Fed & watered the livestock & horses. Cared for the fledgling chicks she had in the spare bathroom (this is where my loathing of chickens began), kept the house tidy, made supper (she had a few frozen meals plus simple hot dog/mac & cheese type things for me to make) helped the kids with homework. I knew who to call if I needed help. This was a very rural setting, but with many trusted adults within a 15 mile radius.

So, I guess it all depends on the situation and the child in question.

My oldest dd was home alone for a week while we went on a pre-planned vacation. She was unable to go since she had just started a new job and didn't want to jeopardize it. She was 16 - two mos. away from her 17th birthday. We let family and our next door neighbors know she would alone, and we kept in touch daily. I wasn't overly worried. She has always been very responsible and careful plus there was family in the area and the neighbors. She did fine, got to work, took care of the house and even irrigated the 1.5 acres while we were gone.

It could depend on how you define overnight and unattended :lol:

When my mother was still battling cancer we had an evening come up where every car was full and everyone was running in different directions. Dd stayed home, she had testing the next day and being in an emergency room (my family was split between two at the time) would not have helped. She had just turned 12, the neighbors on either side, across the street and across the lake were given a heads up and dd was fine. We were home around 5am.

I stayed home alone, overnight for the first time when I was 12. It was scary at first, but I survived :p

I don't know if it will be different for the boys. Ds the elder is allowed to stay home alone now and dd will sit them both with no problem for short periods of time, in both cases.

I guess it depends on a lot of things. Where you live, the child in question, the support network around you, &tc.

I will do it when they are responsible adults -- 18 is the absolute lowest age.

I wouldn't do it at all while we live in this house because it takes emergency responders way too long to get here. We don't have friends or relatives here, so there are no adults available to stay with the kids.

Our neighbors used to leave their college-age kids at home while they went on vacation. The loud parties those kids had lasted most of the night. It was only once a year, so I persuaded DH not to call the cops.

Edited by RoughCollie

I started house sitting for other people or staying home alone at night at 16. Sometimes my 14-year-old sister stayed with me, and one time (with permission) she and her 13-year-old friend stayed overnight while I was house sitting. We ordered pizza and watched movies.

However, I never gave my parents any cause to worry about me as a teen. I didn't go through any "typical" teenage rebellion. My separation from my parents took the form of introspection and an internalization of thoughts and ideas that shaped my values. My beliefs and behaviors were in line with what my parents wanted. Chronological age was unimportant to my parents--they considered me to be an adult because I acted like one when it came to making wise decisions. They knew there was NO WAY I would do anything irresponsible while they were gone. Thus, there was no reason for them to wait until I was 18 to leave me alone.

My sister, however, was not left alone overnight until 18 with good reason. I plan to take in on a case-to-case basis with my kids.

Yeah I seem to be more liberal with these kinds of things too but I wouldn't leave a 15 y/o alone overnight or for a weekend either! I don't think I'd do it until 18! MAYBE 17 if I thought that was a very mature kid and THEY were very comfortable with it too and only then because I have family living 3 houses away that could check in on them and be on hand if needed.

My teens stayed home alone for the weekend when they were 16 & 18. They also made a road trip alone at that age. One of them got stranded at the Chicago airport alone overnight once and we had to arrange transportation and accomadations by phone. My kids have been flying alone since the ages of three and four though.

We've left our 17 year old. We have helpful neighbors next door. He will be 18 in half a year. At that point, he could walk out and be totally on his own as a legal adult. I want to give him opportunities to practice those skills before college.

I think it depends on : the kid and the neighbors, both.

My former neighbor would sometimes leave her high school son while she was away longer than a night on business. He was generally a good kid, but did have a couple parties while she was away. I was there if there would have been an emergency and I was there if there was a party... not present at the party...telling mom about said unauthorized party. Once, I called her xh because there was alcohol at the party and I didn't want anyone to get hurt. He drove over and broke it up. The party stuff seems like a reason not to, but really her ds learned some lessons.

I might leave our 15 year old home alone, but I would have to think more about it.

Edited by Laurie4b

We let DD do this at 16, but without the responsibility of younger sibs. Plus, her aunt and uncle were only a couple of blocks away so she had an emergency contact nearby. You may ask why she didn't stay with them...its because they have an absolutely chaotic household and DD had some serious studying to get done the next day and wanted to go to bed early.

That said, I don't think ds who is 13 will be allowed to do this before 18 or 19. He isn't quite as mature as she was.

DD, almost 19, does provide overnight care now as a babysitter and even keeps very young infants. Shes 'great at it but I must admit that I think she was born 21!

It all depends on the child. I have an almost 10 year old who is so logical and mature that he could probably do this 14 or 15. However, I wouldn't let him because we have drunks living on both sides of us now and I consider it a huge safety issue. The middle boy...well, he's never going to stay alone. He'll go from our house, to a dorm room or apartment with his older brother, who will be replaced at college graduation by the youngest boy, and then hopefully, by the time ds graduates, he'll have found a mommy-wife who will take care of him. The kid is soooooo academically talented but he is the original "Flubber" professor and can't be trusted to keep himself alive without supervision!! LOL

Faith

My parents left my sister and I home alone when she was 17 an I was 14. But, we had an incredible network of caring neighbors and family 2 blocks away. There was no way we were getting away with anything.

At this point I would not be comfortable leaving my kids for an overnighter at those ages because I don't have that network.

It may also make a difference whether it is a teen by him/herself or taking care of younger kids.

I was in a position where I was supposed to watch a younger relative when I was in high school. Said person decided to do certain things I wasn't comfortable with, and it was awkward in many ways, and I still cringe thinking about it. It would have been easier if an adult had been there.

I think it depends on the kid and the situation. When I was 14-15, I was babysitting overnight for several different families regularly - 2 were night shift workers (one family had one infant who slept all night, the other had 2 elementary aged kids that I just had to feed breakfast and send off to school before I walked to school myself). There was also a third family with 2 young elem kids and they would go away for the weekend

(!!!), leaving me in charge of the kids. When I got old enough to drive, they let me use their car and drive their kids around too. Those were the best babysitting gigs, especially the overnights where I made money just sleeping!

I think that in theory, many 15 year olds would have the the maturity and life skills to be able to stay home alone, especially with a family friend checking in often and staying in close contact. But parents really have to use their own discretion here as 15 year olds vary wildly in maturity and decision making skills, not to mention other factors like the influence of friends, safety of the neighborhood, etc.

I don't know. It would probably depend on the kid and the support system available.

I was left at home at 17yo (just turned) for a week, while my parents & siblings went to a relative's funeral. I was graduated from high school, working a full time job, and driving myself to and from work. I was also a *good* kid so it was a rather boring week. :D I knew who I could call if i had a problem.

My parents wouldn't have left my sister like that for all the tea in China. So again, a lot probably depends on the kid.

I was left alone at home by my parents for a week at a time when I was 13 and we were in the US for a year. Our black lab seemed to know that he needed to protect me - he wouldn't even let me go to the bathroom by myself! He slept with me even (and usually dogs weren't allowed in the bedrooms). Even so I hardly would sleep because I'd get freaked out. Finally my ps. found out about it and made me stay with a teacher. I did a lot of late night babysitting and that never bothered me.

I wouldn't leave my 13 year old alone at night! Perhaps by 16 if they were totally comfortable.

For me I think I would be willing to leave my mature 15 year old alone for a night if he/she were comfortable with it. I would not leave that same 15 yr. old with any younger siblings; then it is babysitting, and that is a huge responsibilty. :001_smile:

My mom was the opposite - she let my 4-years-younger sister and me stay home alone together *long* before she let me stay home alone by myself, b/c with two of us, we had built-in help should something go wrong (no lying injured on the floor unable to reach the phone to call 911, for example.) I'd leave a responsible 15yo with responsible younger (but not too young) siblings long before leaving said 15yo all alone.

(I think I was 17-18 the first time I my parents left my sis & me alone overnight.)

It may also make a difference whether it is a teen by him/herself or taking care of younger kids.

I was in a position where I was supposed to watch a younger relative when I was in high school. Said person decided to do certain things I wasn't comfortable with, and it was awkward in many ways, and I still cringe thinking about it. It would have been easier if an adult had been there.

Yes, I cannot see leaving the boys alone together.......... possibly ever.

I think it depends on the kid and the situation. When I was 14-15, I was babysitting overnight for several different families regularly - 2 were night shift workers (one family had one infant who slept all night, the other had 2 elementary aged kids that I just had to feed breakfast and send off to school before I walked to school myself). There was also a third family with 2 young elem kids and they would go away for the weekend

(!!!), leaving me in charge of the kids. When I got old enough to drive, they let me use their car and drive their kids around too. Those were the best babysitting gigs, especially the overnights where I made money just sleeping!

I think that in theory, many 15 year olds would have the the maturity and life skills to be able to stay home alone, especially with a family friend checking in often and staying in close contact. But parents really have to use their own discretion here as 15 year olds vary wildly in maturity and decision making skills, not to mention other factors like the influence of friends, safety of the neighborhood, etc.

I was babysitting over night at 13. We knew the people, the kids were 5 & 3.

my experience and opinion is the same as these two gals. At 13 I had similiar gigs. Awesome easy money.

If the kid is ready the kid is ready.

If not then the question is moot.

Kids do stupid stuff all the time. As long as there's not bodily injury and the house isn't in cinders, I try TRY to chalk it up to lessons learned and am glad it was learned at home.

I am glad I've had my kids close together bc that helps.

My mom was the opposite - she let my 4-years-younger sister and me stay home alone together *long* before she let me stay home alone by myself, b/c with two of us, we had built-in help should something go wrong (no lying injured on the floor unable to reach the phone to call 911, for example.) I'd leave a responsible 15yo with responsible younger (but not too young) siblings long before leaving said 15yo all alone.

(I think I was 17-18 the first time I my parents left my sis & me alone overnight.)

Perspectives are so interesting. I was left with my brother at night well before 16. My brother was one year younger. Not only were we alone, but we also had all the farm chores to do. We both got up at 3:30am each morning. I milked the 70 head of cows while he fed and tended to all the animals.

We live in the country in a small tight-knit community, so our situation is probably a little different than most. I hope I have given my kids enough adult type responsibilities that they could be left alone overnight by 16yo. However, I've only left my 8yo home alone for short periods of time thus far. We are a long way from overnights.

We start let our oldest son stay home alone at 17 for the weekend. He also had five younger siblings to care for. He handled it like a pro. He probably would have been fine to stay home alone at 15, but I would never leave anyone home alone that couldn't drive. My second son, on the other hand, was much more immature and impulsive. I could never have left him alone at 15, much less with his siblings. My now 16yo would probably be fine home alone, but I would make sure to have an adult check on him if I left him. I think 15 is probably too young.

My parents worked shift work and sometimes both had 3rd shift. I was staying home alone overnight at 12. I got into lots of trouble that way.

Since we live in an area with decent public transportation, and even though I want them to learn to drive my kids likely won't have vehicles while living at home with me as teens, I don't entirely get that as a limitation.

It would entirely depend on the fifteen year old. We have good friend and extended family that could be contacts, or check in once a day, who live in the area, and neighbors who we could have call us if something crazy happened. If DD keeps going at her present rate (she occasionally stays home alone for a couple of hours at 6 yo., with my or DH's cell phone number in the redial on the phone if she needs to call, and can keep herself entertained and fed while I'm sleeping in the afternoons and has since age 4), it's likely she could stay home alone for a weekend at age 15. I doubt I would leave her in charge of younger siblings for that long, though.

This is if she's like my sister J or I were at that age (though J started sneaking out of the house around 16, the worst she'd likely have done would be to invite her boyfriend over, not burn down the house or throw a wild party), as opposed to my younger sisters (who were very impulsive and not even remotely mature at that age, plus twins so tended to feed each others' bad ideas with twice the ingenuity), or another family member who was chronically depressed and attempted suicide around that age.

Often when parents leave town for a night, other kids find out and turn it into a party. Even the most trustworthy teen can find him or herself under a lot of pressure to have just a few friends over, and they know for a fact that Mom and Dad are not coming home until the next day.

I don't want my teen in that position and I don't need the liability. This community has had several tragedies that involved that scenario, and I think it's better if no parents leave kids overnight unattended. It just creates too much potential temptation.

I was left overnight at home alone with my 3 year old brother when I was 12. Not only that, but I didn't know where my stepmother was or that I would be left alone. I found out when we woke up the next morning and she wasn't there. I was regularly left home alone for several days at a time at 14.

Having said that, I *could* leave a 15yo home alone where we live now because my aunt lives next door. However, I still probably wouldn't unless absolutely necessary.

Perspectives are so interesting. I was left with my brother at night well before 16. My brother was one year younger. Not only were we alone, but we also had all the farm chores to do. We both got up at 3:30am each morning. I milked the 70 head of cows while he fed and tended to all the animals.

We live in the country in a small tight-knit community, so our situation is probably a little different than most. I hope I have given my kids enough adult type responsibilities that they could be left alone overnight by 16yo. However, I've only left my 8yo home alone for short periods of time thus far. We are a long way from overnights.

I don't see this the same, I guess. You had WAY too much to do to worry about throwing parties!:lol:

I think it depends on the maturity of the teens. I was 16 and my brother was 17 and we had many weekends home alone when our parents wanted to go to the camp and we didn't. We never threw any wild parties. :D

I know my kids are still quite young, but I feel like I would rather leave my teenager alone for one night at a time occaisionally and let him/her gradually show independance and self-reliance before thrusting them out in the college world of dorms, no curfews, and apartment living. I definately remember my parents leaving my sister and I alone for an entire week while they went to a conference half-way across the country. She was a senior and I was a freshman in highschool. We didn't have any family at all within 200 miles, but did have close adult friends we could call on if needed.

Currently, I only leave dd alone for at most 2 hrs at a time and it will probably be a year or two before I let her watch ds even though she is quite responsible for being almost 9.

Joanne, I am right here with you in the liberal group, and I don't think I'd leave a teen alone in a house without adults overnight until that teen was 18 or very close to it. Definitely NOT 15.

This.

I've been stocking my bar all nice for the summer and they don't make enough $ to pay me back for that, yet. Not to mention there's a pool and waaayyy too much liability. Mine are responsible, but they don't quite grasp that you can loose everything in a lawsuit.

Edited by justamouse

It would depend. Honestly, I had relatives living on the same street and such. I was never left alone at night at 15. However, at 17 (in college) I stayed overnight and kept my cousin's 2 dc who were 3 and 18 months at the time. I basically slept there while my cousin worked overnight.

In the morning, she was home and I would borrow her dh's bike to bike to my morning college classes.

So at 15 I wasn't left alone, but at 17 I was in charge of 2 children overnight.

I think at 15 I was still trying to impress high school friends. Whereas, at 17 I was in college and trying to prepare for the future. So it depends on the child and how much adult supervision would be handy.

The rule in our county is 16 for uo to two nights and that was the same on military bases we have been at. We haven't done that. NOw, if her older brother wasn't here, I could definitely see leaving my 16.5 dd alone for two days since she is extremely responsible. I just don't have any need for it at all since the only travelling we are doing now is vacations and fun weekends she wants to go on and also college visits that are for her. My son went to college at 16.5 so I don't see a difference.

I think I need a nap... Here I dug all this up, and now I can't remember where I was going to post it :lol: I guess this is the internet version of walking into a room and forgetting why you went in there?

There is a table here that shows the ages that are legal state by state. Most states don't have an age listed, leaving it up to the parents. The oldest is Illinois, 14; youngest are Maryland and South Carolina, 8. Virginia doesn't have any age set.

The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry has this to say about it:

Parent(s) should consider the following:

• Age readiness
  • Definition of parental "rules and expectations"
  • How to access parent(s) or other adults (e.g. phone numbers)
  • Potentially unsafe situations (e.g. medical emergencies, fire, alcohol, drugs, strangers, guns, etc.)
  • When and how to answer the phone or doorbell
  • Use of phone, 911 for emergencies
  • Use of computer (internet)
  • Friends and visitors coming to the house
  • Responsibilities for siblings
  • Use of unstructured time (e.g. watch TV, videos, etc.);
  • Access to "adult" cable TV; internet chat rooms and adult web sites

It is not possible to make a general statement about when a child can be left home.

With my kids? If they continue growing up as ridiculously responsible as they're showing already - I won't hesitate to leave them overnight at 15 or 16.

I'm the absent-minded professor around here who forgets to eat. :lol: They remind me of when we're scheduled to do things (which drives me insane... but I can't deny that it is often helpful...)

My parents never left me overnight at that age, but I often wish they would have - just for the experience of it. lol

I think there are different issues that come into play here. My 17yo daughter is extremely mature and I trust her implicitly, however our house is isolated. Not only would she be afraid to stay alone, but it would make me very uncomfortable for that reason. My son will have to be... 27?... before I leave him alone. ;)

I stayed alone for a week when I was 18 and my family went on vacation (I had to work.) Our neighborhood was watchful, and I was checked on by family.

25. That being said, my oldest in now 13 and I can't imagine leaving her home alone overnight. Ten years ago I couldn't have imagined leaving her alone for 10 minutes and now that's no problem at all. She even babysits for her younger siblings. Ask me again in 3 years and my answer will be more realistic for her abilities but right now, I can't get me head around leaving her home overnight without me.

I would do it if necessary by 15. It hasn't been necessary.

Dh and I went to Bali for 3 nights back in February. We had some friends who were in their early twenties- a couple- come and stay in the house with the kids. They didn't feel "babied", but they were being watched by people we felt were reasonably responsible (but who at the same time enjoyed pizza and movies and loud music like our teens!).

My mom left me and my sister home alone at 16 (10th gr.) and 14 (8th gr.). There was an 18-year-old girl who lived nearby that checked up on us...she'd been heavily into pot in high school. I don't know what my mom was thinking. Fortunately for her (and us) the worst thing we did was whip up a huge batch of cookie dough as soon as she left and proceed to eat it until we felt sick.

I have a half-sister and -brother that are 17 and 13. It would be a very different story if they were left alone. My sister's boyfriend would definitely be sleeping over, my brother would probably "get sick" and stay home from school to play video games for the week.

I have no idea about my kids, it's way too soon to say. Hopefully we'll have a strong enough support network that we'll never have a need to leave them without adequate supervision.

I have a very responsible teenage girl who is almost 15. If she were comfortable with being left overnight, I would trust her completely. She doesn't drive, we have neighbors and family nearby and we live a bit "out" from the city. I would probably be comfortable leaving her with one of her siblings but not all of them. All of them are a handful even for me. That said, if she did not feel comfortable with this, I wouldn't ask her to do it (stay alone). We would find a friend or relative for her to stay with.