Menu

"get to know you" game

anyone interested in a little game of get to know you?

It's pretty simple, I will post some questions and whoever posts just answers them and if they want to add another question for those after them they can if not no biggie :)

1. What's your name?

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use?

4. Something interesting about yourself

5. What's your favorite season?

My answers:

1. Jill

2. 1 child

3. planning on chc for next year

4. i am an only child

5. fall or spring. we live in washington state so fall is great because it's crisp and the leaves are turning and it's beautiful and spring is great because it's warming up after winter but it's not too warm yet

FUN!

1. What's your name? Linda

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3- Charles 4 yrs old, Harrison 2 yrs old and Alexander 2 months old

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? I have MFW K and Progress in Math to start next fall for Charlie (nothing now.. just fun!)

4. Something interesting about yourself - I tend to heal people emotionally but cannot heal myself!

5. What's your favorite season? Fall. I like being able to wear a sweater, feel the cool air coming and watching the leaves change!

1. What's your name?

My answers:

1. Kalah

2. 2 boys, 7 and 10

3. SOTW, Singapore Math, FLL, SWO, lots of extras.

4. I knew I would marry my dh the day I met him.

5. Fall because it means I've made it through another desert summer!

1. What's your name? Michelle

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 and I also homeschool a friend's son.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? I mix and match every year - quite a variety

4. Something interesting about yourself I won a speech competition in college on Multiple Personality Disorders.

5. What's your favorite season? Definitely Spring!!!

6. What is your favorite subject to teach?

1. What's your name? Sara

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 1 dd5 and one on the way.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? A mixture that is listed in my signature below.

4. Something interesting about yourself: My life long dream is to move to a history filled European city.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall, I love rain and wearing sweaters and boots.

6. What is your favorite subject to teach? Languages and history

I'll play!

1. What's your name? Shinyhappypeople, duh! :) (Feel free to sing along, btw) Seriously, my name is Rebecca

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): 2 girls (5 and 6)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Miquon, Primary Phonics workbooks, living books for science and history, Handbook of Nature Study.

4. Something interesting about yourself: Not sure how interesting this is... I'm a nerd and love to learn. Currently teaching myself Spanish (I love languages), calculus (not nearly as hard as people say) and Ancient history (prepping for the cycle).

5. What's your favorite season? spring and fall

6. Favorite subject to teach: Spanish

ETA: New question, #7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc) : I'm very relaxed, almost unschooling at the moment, shifting to a more Charlotte Mason inspired approached this fall when the eldest is 7.

Edited by shinyhappypeople

1. What's your name?

1. Antonia (Greek, not Spanish language -- different pronunciation)

2. 4 living

3. Too many products to list from a sixteen-year (thus far) homeschooling run.

4. I entered college with a scholarship for music composition, awarded on the basis of music I composed between grades 7-12 for solo instruments, chamber groups, wind ensembles, and orchestra.

5. WINTER. Any temperature above 70 deg. F. is an abomination !

6. Favorite subject to teach = history

1. What's your name?

Lisa Marie

DD24, college grad, lives in Chicago (never homeschooled)

DS23, joined Marines after HS but is out now, college junior, engaged to be married (never homeschooled)

DD18, college sophmore, living at home (homeschooled Jr and Sr. high)

DD9, 4th grade, homeschooled since birth! Light of my life!

Saxon, Rod & Staff, A Reason for Handwriting, BJ Reading 4, Progeny Press lit guides, Megawords, Christian Kids Explore..., Story of the World + activities,

My husband and I are like Oliver and Lisa Douglas from Green Acres. ( Hey, I've even got the right name, but I was never a glamour girl!) After raising our family for 20 years in the city in WI, we packed up everything and moved to rural Arkansas and bought a farm! We have many of what I call, "Green Acre moments." Those are the times when we do something so dumb that only Oliver and Lisa would have done it! That's when I say, "A REAL farmer would never have done that!" Haha. But we LOVE it and are learning, having fewer and fewer of those moments as time goes buy. We've been farmers for six years now.

Fall. Here in Arkansas, the fall is FANTASTIC! No bugs, no humidity, 70 to 80 daytime temps, 40 to 60 nighttime temps, beautiful scenery in the Ozark Mountains. The BEST time to ride horses! I love it!

1. What's your name? Melissa

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): Cali 17 months

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? nothing right now, just lots of reading out loud

4. Something interesting about yourself: I am going to start going to school to be a pharmacist in 2011 (start pre-pharmacy classes) currently going to school to be a pharmacy technician will graduate from that this December.

5. What's your favorite season? spring and fall because it's not so humid, Lord why did we move to Georgia?

ETA: New question, #6. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc) : ummm not sure yet leaning towards Classical TWTM way.

I'll play.

1. What's your name? It really is Laura

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 2 children, both 11

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Most of it is in my siggy, however I've been perusing MCT and LOF Algebra for next year and do believe we will make the change

4. Something interesting about yourself - this is extra hard because I have no time to be interesting...

5. What's your favorite season? Fall. Hands down. Crisp air, rockin' color, the smell of chimney smoke as the first fires of the season are stoked...ahhhh...:)

1. What's your name? Richelle

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 4. DD9. DS8, DS8, DS5

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? MUS, Apologia: flying creatures, Literature books I pick :), SOTW1, Latin for kids A, Shurley English 2/3, Christian Studies Bk. 1

4. Something interesting about yourself I train horses and I love to work with fiber and mixed media!

5. What's your favorite season? Fall!!!!!!

fun :001_smile:

1. What's your name? Apryl

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 girls, 13, and soon to be 10 year old twins

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? a very mixed bag: Sonlight, Saxon, and whatever interests us from the library.

4. Something interesting about yourself I got married at 16, had my first child at 20, and will have been married for 18 years this October.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall and Spring...the mild ones.

1. What's your name?

Chucki the Parrothead

One 10-year old dd

It varies. What we used this year is in my sig line. Some of it will be changing this upcoming fall.

In my past life I was a cop and part time firefighter.

Winter

1. What's your name? Becky

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 4

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Eclectic - I pick and choose for each subject every year. I actually love the whole choosing process and the quest for something new and interesting!

4. Something interesting about yourself: I sold Christmas Around the World part-time for 17 years. The best thing about this is that I won free trips every year and have been all over the world - a great blessing I can only attribute to God!

5. What's your favorite season? Spring Florida weather is just so great in spring. :)

1. What's your name? Heidi

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? Levi (8), Luke (almost 6), Leif (3.5), and baby due in Oct.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? HWT, RS math, FLL, SOTW, Christian Kids Explore science series, Prima Latina, and lots and lots of reading wonderful books.

4. Something interesting about yourself: I am a photographer and a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool.

5. What's your favorite season? Late spring.

1. What's your name?

Jana

His: dd 29, dd 29, dd 24, ds 24. Mine dd 22, ds 20, ds 18. Ours ds 3, dd 2.

TWTM, Sonlight.

I adore Genealogy ( History ).

Winter

6. Favorite subject to teach: History !!

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? TWTM with tons of literature.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Dumbing Down of American Education, Asthma, Allergies, and other Medical issues. Love of teaching !

Edited by alatexan68

1. What's your name? Dorothy (named after my grandmother - not many Dorothys in my generation.)

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): just the ones in my siggy

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? See siggy for what we're using now but next year we're adding - FLL, HO w/SOTW, AAS and a few other things.

4. Something interesting about yourself: I'm another one who loves to learn. I've spent most of my adult years in one form of school or another. I currently have 2 degrees - Business Admin/Marketing and Biology - and everything except my student teaching for an Elementary Education degree.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall and Spring but we usually have more nice days in Fall. Spring tends to be a few days of rain in between freezing and boiling.

6. Favorite subject to teach: Science

#7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc) : Eclectic with classical leanings, I guess. Although we're also pretty relaxed right now since the kids I'm homeschooling are so young.

1. What's your name? Jackie

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): DS12, DD7

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Math Mammoth, MCT LA, and an eclectic mix of history and science materials including lots of Teaching Company courses

4. Something interesting about yourself: I wrote a book on Pre-Columbian art.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall

6. Favorite subjects to teach: Ancient History, Anthropology, and Science

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc)?

Hmm...I'd call it "Science Centered Curriculum" ~ similar to LCC but substituting science/math/composition for Latin/math/composition.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool?

I have a 2E (more like 4E, lol) son, and the schools here are lousy.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you?

Places I would love to visit for the first time: Galapagos Islands, Australia, China, Chile

Places I've been that I'd love to revisit with my kids: Greece, Fiji, NZ, Bali, Venice (Italy)

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
Add question #9

1. What's your name? Lynne

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 2, both boys ages 7 and soon to be 6

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? FLL, SOTW, MUS, among others

4. Something interesting about yourself. Like to scrapbook, remodel, travel

5. What's your favorite season? Summer- I love hanging out in the pool!

1. What's your name? Tammy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish). 3-DD22, DD20,

DS12

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Living Books/Charlotte Mason

4. Something interesting about yourself. I love to travel to little towns and people watch.

1. What's your name: JoAnn

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): DD10, DS8, DS3, DD who is 9 1/2 months

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use: Spelling Power, MCT, Excellence in Writing, Teaching the Classics, MUS, Math Olympiad, Perplexors, SOTW, Apologia, and Draw Squad. Next year, I'm adding Art of Problem Solving, All American History, Fallacy Detective, A Child's Geography, and Memoria Press Christian Studies.

4. Something interesting about yourself: My husband and I met on the internet in 1996 before it was more common like it is today.

5. Favorite season? Summer. The sunshine means I'm happy and have double the energy that I have during winter.

1. What's your name? Lisaloo

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): 2

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? AO with a bit of Singapore Math, Prima Latina, PLL, and other assorted stuff thrown in.

4. Something interesting about yourself: I own a Great Dane, a Basset Hound and 3 tame cats.

5. What's your favorite season? Summer

6. Favorite subjects to teach: History

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc)? My two favorites are Classical and CM.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I decided to homeschool because I think a child's parents/immediate family should be the biggest influence in their lives and because I had an abysmally incomplete education in public school.

1. What's your name? Kathy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 kiddos: 9.7.4

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? SOTW,FLL, WWE, Horizon, MCP Phonics, ETC, HWT...tons of books.

4. Something interesting about yourself. I just bought WEM and am reading Don Quioxte.

5. What's your favorite season? Florida Winters :001_smile:

1. What's your name? Julie

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? DS6 and DD2

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? FLL, HWT, OPGTR, SM, SOTW, our own science curriculum (eclectic mix of books), and whatever else we find that suits our interests/needs

4. Something interesting about yourself. I was born in the U.S. but grew up in Germany - German was my first language (and I actually spoke English with a German accent for awhile).

5. What's your favorite season? Summer!!

1. What's your name? Charlotte

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 2, ages 12 & 9

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Little bit of everything!

4. Something interesting about yourself- We are moving to AZ from KY soon

5. What's your favorite season?- Spring- I love the flowers blooming, birds chirping, warmer temps, etc.

6. Favorite subject to teach: History

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? A bit classic, a bit traditional.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? DS didn't fit the "school mode" and was starting to be effected because he didn't learn like everyone else.

Edited by charlotteb

. What's your name? Jenni

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): DD8 and DD6

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Eclectic. Currently finishing up a necessary year of K12 VA which I will continue next year with dd6 but putting it together myself for dd8.

4. Something interesting about yourself: I have a degree in Theatre Arts/Acting. I actually met my husband doing community theatre.

6. Favorite subjects to teach: History and Literature

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc)? I am an eclectic classical Charlotte Mason unschooler. :lol:

8. [NEW QUESTION] Why did you decide to homeschool? We did not want our daughters growing up with the negative peer influences we see with some of our friend's ps kids. I find these influences particularly frightening for girls. We also live in an abysmal school district that I would not send a dog to.

1. What's your name? Kelli

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): Nathaniel-12, Benjamin-9, Samuel-6

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? TOG, Math U See, SSL, LfC, Shurley, Apologia,

4. Something interesting about yourself: I am an uptight control who is slowly trying to relax.

5. What's your favorite season? Spring (It would probably be Fall, but my allergies are worse then)

6. Favorite subjects to teach: History and Latin

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc)? leaning more to classical than anything else

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? When we moved out to Deliverance Country our kids were getting dumber by the minute in the local ps. We had always thought about homeschooling, but we lived in an area with great schools (pre-Deliverance days) and let all our friends talk us out of it. The way our kids we unhappy and getting stupid compounded with a Paul Washer sermon that I heard (where ironically he was not even saying parents should homeschool) made me jump over the edge.

1. What's your name? Tracy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 4 - G7, B5, B3, G3mos.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? most of what is listed in the Veritas Press catalogue + some extras

4. Something interesting about yourself I am a VERY conservative person, but in my last church I was known as the "party girl" because I threw huge birthday parties for my kids. I figured if people were going to drive 40 minutes or more to come to a party, it ought to be a good one. We always requested no gifts, but I sent the kids home with neat stuff. Every kid in church knew my kids' birthdays.

5. What's your favorite season? spring and fall, I love the transitional seasons

1. What's your name? Dawn

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish): 3 (ages in signature)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? I think most everything is in the sig, but pick & choose, a lot of WTM recs.

4. Something interesting about yourself: I read every WWII book (European Theater) in our public library between 4th and 12th grade. Do I remember any of it? Not a whole lot.

5. What's your favorite season? College Football

6. Favorite subjects to teach: Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization. I've loved seeing my little ones absorbing poem after poem.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell (e.g. classical, CM, LCC, unschooling, etc)? Christian Classical leaning more and more into CM (who was a Classical Educator)

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? For reasons ranging from Religious, Academic, to Family-Unity. I can't really pinpoint any one as the superseding factor, they all are of a piece - I suppose religious would be the most important with academics and family unity as subsets of our understanding of the faith. As I've read more and more, Educational Philosophy (anti-Dewey in particular) has become a major factor in why I'm homeschooling, but I wouldn't say my husband has the same thoughts there; of course he wasn't force-fed Dewey in college. Jason, my husband, and I talked about homeschooling before we were engaged, so we have a wonderful sense of unity on the topic.

Edited by ladydusk
fixing a comma

1. Laura

2. 2 boys

3. a mish-mash inspired by TWTM

4a. I play cello in a community orchestra

4b. I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo

5. Fall - I love the colors, the newness of back to school (yet, we homeschool year round?!?!) and the promise of Christmas

1. What's your name?Danielle

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)ds11,ds9,ds5,ds8 wks

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? WTM (see siggy), Mi Libro Magico and starting Abacus Math over the summer

4. Something interesting about yourself.Dh delivered my third son on the bathroom floor.

5. What's your favorite season?Summer

6. Favorite subject to teach: History

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? So Ca schools dd not impress me, and I hated the fact that the schools wanted to put my kids in ESL classes upon seeing our last name. Shouldn't I get a say in that? And when I said no why did they insist?

1. What's your name? Terri

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) one dd who will be 8 on Friday

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? look at my sig...

4. Something interesting about yourself I married my guitar teacher! :thumbup1:

5. What's your favorite season? fall, closely followed by spring

1. What's your name? Jan

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 boys (7,8,and 9)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? WWE (1,2 &3), FLL1/2, MCT, SL history, LC1, Anatomy & Physiology, SWO (B,C,D), SL Readers, Horizons math

4. Something interesting about yourself- I am awesome at Rock Band & Guitar Hero!!! I LOVE sports!

5. What's your favorite season?- Fall (Sadly, we don't really have one.)

1. What's your name?

Celeste

4 (ages 8, 7, 5, 2)

Sonlight, CLE, Horizons, Singapore, MFW, BJU, Critical Thinking Co, WWE, HWOT, Wordly Wise...and the list goes on

I have a Bachelor of Science in Biological sciences, but when I was a teenager, I wanted to be a professional classical musician.

5. What's your favorite season

winter

Fun.

1. What's your name? Cat

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) Five children, four at home. 17 y.o. lovely stepdaughter is living with her mother this year for the first time. (MISS her!) The others are 14 (attending public school), and the boys at home--9, 7, 5.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? A variety. I like to be able to pick and choose, or even pull together my own study units from our own bookshelves and the library.

4. Something interesting about yourself. I've typed three things so far, and then erased them because they weren't really that interesting. I know...I'm one of the most indecisive people I've ever met. :tongue_smilie:

5. What's your favorite season? All but February. We're in the PNW and by February I'm d-o-n-e with rain, chill and clouds.

6. Favorite subject to teach: Math, science, history.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Relaxed classical/eclectic

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I want my children to learn to think for themselves. I don't want them to have a one-size-fits-all education. And I like spending time with them.

1. What's your name? Amy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 2 kids (ds 3 and dd 6).

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Little of this and that. :D See my siggy for what we are starting next month.

4. Something interesting about yourself. I play flute and teach flute lessons. However, my B.S. was in physical geography and my post bacc. was atmospheric sciences.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall.

1. What's your name?

Paula (will answer to EL)

One son, age 12 1/2

Should be listed in my signature, we use LCC as our educational framework

I still play my music way too loud when I'm in the car. I'll turn it down some if ds is with me, otherwise the louder the better.

Winter in the south. A whole different season than winter in the frozen mid-west. I can wear flip flops in December, throw on a light jacket, and there is nothing to shovel off my car when I go outside. No spring allergies, no summer heat. Ah, it's bliss.

6. Favorite subject to teach

Latin

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell?

Classical ala LCC

8. Why did you decide to homeschool?

To start, couldn't afford private school. Now, because it's the best educational choice for my son.

Edited by elegantlion

1. What's your name? Kate

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 7.5: 11yo dd and ds twins, 8 yo dd, 7 yo ds, 5 yo ds, 4 yo dd, 18 mo ds, 38 wks pg

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? RS & Singapore Math, SOTW, MCT, 100 EZ Lessons, AVKO Spelling, Latina Christiana, occassional Five in a Row units, delight-led science. Looking into TRISMS, LoF, and Fallacy Detective

4. Something interesting about yourself. Moved from Manhattan 3 yrs ago: we were living in the concrete jungle with six young children!

5. What's your favorite season? I love all 4 seasons, but summer has a special place in my heart.

6. Favorite subject to teach history and math

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? delayed WTM classical with a dash of Charlotte Mason, delight-led science, unit study/lapbooking projects

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Started for political, religious, & philosophical reasons. Kept going for social, academic, familial, and scheduling benefits.

Edited by MommyRyan

Guest mrsjamiesouth

1. What's your name? Alexis

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) DS9, DS5, and DD2

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Too many to list, I like a little bit of everything :tongue_smilie:

4. Something interesting about yourself. I was saved as an adult and I am the only person on both sides.

5. What's your favorite season? Winter

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? classical/charlotte mason

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? We pulled my oldest out of ps at the end of 1st grade when the teacher announced that he somehow did not complete one math sheet all year without her knowing it!!:confused:

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you?

1. What's your name? Sue

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 ~ DD21, DS16, DS13 (this week!)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Eclectic mix (Apologia, Rainbow, TT, Systematic Math, Trad. Logic, Notgrass, IEW, OYAN, Latin Book 1, etc)

4. Something interesting about yourself.

a) My highschool graduation gift from my mom & dad was to spend a month with my dad bicycling over the Rocky Mtns of Colorado.

b) I became a Grandma at the young age of 42. :)

5. What's your favorite season? Christmas, then fall and spring

6. Favorite subject to teach: History and Latin

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical for the most part.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? My DD was finishing up 3rd grade at a local private Christian school and struggling academically. She has a mild case of dyslexia. I decided she needed more one on one. After our first year's success, my dh and I decided we would keep at it with all our dc and we haven't looked back!

1. What's your name? Wendi

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) Three human children ages 9, 7, and almost 3. My two dogs think they are human and often listen better than the humans.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Going toward a more LCC approach. Using PLL/ILL, LFC, MC, CLE math, Singapore math, Mem. Press Greek Myths, and some other stuff.

4. Something interesting about yourself All of the "interesting" things about me are things other hsers do on a regular basis. Um, I guess running a lot is kinda interesting. Wow, I'm really boring.

5. What's your favorite season? Spring! I love the newness of it all.

Off to make myself more interesting....

ETA: Fav subject to teach?- History and Latin

Approach- Mostly Classical/LCC

Why homeschool? We moved and I hated the new ps, so instead of dealing with them, I just hsed.

Edited by wendilouwho

1. What's your name? Jess

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) DS7, DS5, and DD21mts.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? HOD, Apologia

4. Something interesting about yourself. Many people have told me I have the most beautiful hair they have ever seen ... However, I can't stand it!

5. What's your favorite season? Summer beach days

6. Favorite subject to teach: Do read-alouds count?

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Charlotte Mason

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I felt burdened to ...

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I would love to visit Rome.

1. What's your name? Amber

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) dd 2 1/2 years old, ds 11months

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Just a preschool theme book, but looking forward to using before five in a row and right start when she is 4

4. Something interesting about yourself. I have a twin sister

6. Favorite subject to teach: math

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Whatever works best! And constructivist

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I work in the public schools and know the inside story and just don't feel like they will be able to educate my daughter in a manner that I feel is best, also education is way too political as evidenced by what's going on in many states around the us, I also don't want to have to deal with the public education belief in labeling children

Eta favorite place to travel? I would love to go back to new Zealand!! It is an amazing place.

Edited by Murmer

1. What's your name? Lisa

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) DS 11, DD 8, DS 3, and 3 dogs, a lab, a Rottie, and a Border Collie/Spring Spaniel...I have to include them, cause they know they are mama's babies too!!

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? I mix and match/create my own

4. Something interesting about yourself: Nothing much...I'm a mom, a wife, a great cook, and I love to garden! I research everything and anything. I love to make people laugh!!

5. What's your favorite season? Spring cause I get to be out in the garden again!!! :)

And to answer the question about why I chose to homeschool....long story, but in the end, I knew it was something I was meant to do, but I had continuous issues with the schools here. I saw a change in my oldest son that I didn't like and I knew I had to get him out before it changed him forever! I agree with a lot of the other mom's reasons...But here's one that will stay in my memory forever: the day my son came home upset because he was told all day by his peers, "your brain doesn't work like ours, where are you from again?" We moved to SC 4 yrs ago from FL...and he was in the Gifted program this past year at public school. Some kids can be so cruel! But now that we homeschool....I have my son back, his attitude has greatly improved, and he's finally able to enjoy learning again!!

1. What's your name? Sarah

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 children - Daughter, age 6; Son, age 4; Son, age 2

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? A few different things... we're at a transition point right now.

4. Something interesting about yourself. My husband and I caught two of our babies ourselves, no doctor or midwife, both quite by accident!

6. Favorite subject to teach: So far, phonics and our study of the world.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Not yet nailed down, but a bit classical/eclectic, I think.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I was homeschooled myself and always wanted to!

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I have never been outside the United States. I've always wanted visit Israel.

anyone interested in a little game of get to know you?

It's pretty simple, I will post some questions and whoever posts just answers them and if they want to add another question for those after them they can if not no biggie :)

1. What's your name?

[/b]

1. Dorinda

2. Two girls 10 and 7

3. What day of the week is it? :lol: JK/ check my siggie

4. I was born in Europe

5. This year, Summer!!!!:001_cool:

Whoops! Missed some questions!

Favorite subject to teach? Reading

How we homeschool in a nutshell? We have no nut, we have no shell. That about sums it up.

Why did I want to homeschool?

Short Version:

Oldest was 4, reading, and BORED! She missed the cutoff for PS by 27 days (darn Sept birthdays :lol:) I belonged to a Bible study for homeschooling moms because it was the only Bible study that met during the day and had child care. They started giving me hand-me-down curriculum/workbooks to keep her occupied during the day so I could get some peace. The rest is history!

Edited by coffeefreak

1. What's your name? Beth

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 2, DD20 and DS8

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Horizons, MCP, Abeka, R&S, and whacking great piles of real books

4. Something interesting about yourself. People who've just met me expect me to be very good at math.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall all the way! I love the coolth.

1. What's your name? Marisa

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) - 3 kids, son 3 1/2 and boy/girl twins 20 months

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? - just playing right now :-)

4. Something interesting about yourself - I would love to travel to Morocco and ride a camel!

5. What's your favorite season? - Anything but winter! We live in Alaska and the winters are sooooo long!

1. What's your name? Christina

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? 3

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? WTM / LoF / Hewitt ... a mix to suit the purpose or need

4. Something interesting about yourself. People say there isn't anything I don't do or can't do. I find the need to divide and conquer overwhelming, LOL.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Disappointed in social behavior of ps children and the lack of content in class.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? Italy or Greece

1. What's your name?Jennifer

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 4: ds almost 18, dd9, ds7, and dd2

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Eclectic: Saxon Math, Five in a Row, PLL and ILL, Prima Latina, Cheerful Cursive, Winter Promise, Sonlight, and reading lots of classics

4. Something interesting about yourself.

We recently returned from a trip to China to adopt our dd2. My oldest child graduates after this week and will go to Basic Training (Army) in July.

6. Favorite subject to teach: Literature and history

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Mix of classical and Charlotte Mason

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Primarily because I felt led by God, but also because I feel that I can provide my children with the best education.

9. (Question I added) What's your favorite healthy snack? My favorite varies, but currently it's smoothies made with skim milk, plain yogurt, vanilla extract, Splenda, and strawberries.