Menu

"get to know you" game

1. What's your name? Danielle

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? 3 boys, ages 13, 11 & 11

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? in my signature

4. Something interesting about yourself. I'll have to think about this one :tongue_smilie:

5. What's your favorite season? spring

6. Favorite subject to teach: Science

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? To have a greater influence in their lives than I would have if they had stayed in the ps, both spiritual and academic.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? France

1. What's your name? Stacey

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 4 (21, 19, 17, 15)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? I'm very eclectic and use LOTS of different things!!

4. Something interesting about yourself - I can't really think of any that is really any more interesting than your average Joe. Sad, but true.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall

1. What's your name? Kara

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? I have five with ages ranging from toddler to tween, and we'll be adding a brand new one in August.

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? My signature covers most of it.

4. Something interesting about yourself. Hm.. I'd rather live in the desert in Arizona, I love sewing and usually sew more clothing for my kids than I buy, and I'm a coffee addict.

5. What's your favorite season? Summer!

6. Favorite subject to teach: I can't pick. The one they like best I suppose.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical. I added relaxed when hardcore classical peeps would correct me. Then relaxed peeps corrected me. I'll stick with classical and not give a hoot now.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? My oldest was reading at 4 years of age, and turned five a smidgeon too late to start kindy. We just kept doing what we were doing when he did reach legal age for the local public school. Then our second had special needs that we couldn't *imagine* a school handling well. We haven't looked back since that year.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? Ireland. Maybe someday when the kids are big. :)

1. What's your name?

Darla

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)

4 kids ages 6,9,13 & 16

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use?

A variety - not all is in my sig but those are the main ones.

4. Something interesting about yourself.

I am rather good at sewing clothing. I just haven't done it in ages...

5. What's your favorite season?

Fall. I wish the best part of it would last just a wee bit longer!

6. Favorite subject to teach:

Math for my youngers, history & science once they're a little older.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical with bits and pieces of whatever works thrown in.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool?

The tiny private school our kids were attending closed, and I wanted to homeschool anyway, so here we are. My youngest has never been in a brick and mortar school.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I would love to go to Japan.

Edited by darlasowders

1. What's your name?

Rose-Marie

DD3, DS1

Not much. Geography Songs, an Auslan dvd and a few Maryann Kohl books.

I am awaiting the time when I have the brain space to learn Polish so I can actually read my very shiny heraldry book.

When you can smell it.

I don't yet!

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell?

Pretty much WTM, but diverting from that with more context for maths and science .

I like power to go along with my responsibility, thanks very much. Besides, five year olds seem too small to be sent away for such a long time.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you?

I did an hour cruise of Amsterdam and spent three weeks in Poland. I'd love to go back to Poland with dh because he couldn't come with dd and I last time. I'd like to go nearly everywhere, really...

Edited by Rosie_0801

1. What's your name? Nakia

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 girls, ages 9,7,4

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Rod and Staff, Apologia, and we are going to try Sonlight next fall

4. Something interesting about yourself. I am awesome! Seriously, I am an aspiring photographer.

6. Favorite subject to teach: math

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? eclectic

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? It was actually my husband's idea.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I want to go to Scotland!

1. What's your name?

4. Something interesting about yourself

1. Liz

2. one - now 19yo and in college

3. We used Apologia, BJU Chemistry, Saxon, Teaching Textbook Math, Spelling Workout, Writing Strands, later Writing for College, Rainbow Science, Kingfisher History and too many other things to list.

4. I am not a native speaker of English (this was funny reading in the "onlyme" thread how people speculated about the poster's native language)

5. FALL - because summer temps in my neck of the woods can reach F100 and beyond and that is decidedly too hot for me!

1. What's your name? Michelle

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) dd11 and ds10

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? See my signature

4. Something interesting about yourself. After much prayer, research, and more prayer 6 months ago I decided to convert to Catholicism. It's a big difference from the Southern Baptist church I was a member of for almost 20 years. Amazingly, my dh and dc are converting also!

6. Favorite subject to teach? English (I love diagramming sentences!)

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? mostly classical

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? We could no longer afford the private classical school so we tried the local public school for a year. It wasn't a good experience for my family so my dh was finally able to talk me into homeschooling. I'm so glad he did.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? France

1. What's your name? Rachel

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 - 12, 8, almost 2

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Can I say to see my sig line?? :)

4. Something interesting about yourself /snort Interesting? I like ranch with my pizza :D

5. What's your favorite season? I like spring, and fall. I like summer and winter right up until it is almost time for spring and fall then I am ready for the next season to start. :001_smile:

6. Favorite subject to teach: Ummm History, Science, Language Arts...I like them all really!

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? I have no clue...I take the "get it all done today" approach!

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? You want a list or just the top 10? Honestly though? My daughters 2nd grade teacher (at the time) and the principal were..well things I can't say on this board. I shall say there were not nice people.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? After I explore the USA, I think Ireland, or Greece..Italy too.

Edited by Mynyel
Adding questions from others too hehe

1. What's your name? Jen

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? 2 girls and a boy (see below)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Math-U-See, Latin Primer, SOTW, IEW (with adjustments), Voyages in English, etc

4. Something interesting about yourself. Come over for a Mike's and we'll talk about it

5. What's your favorite season? summer

6. Favorite subject to teach: history

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? eclectic neo-classical?

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Too many reasons to list, here, I think

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I have been to many other countries: Germany, the UK, France, Egypt, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic..I'm missing a couple. One I have not been to but would like to go to is Greece.

1. What's your name?

My answers:

1. Tanya

2. ds 7 w/special needs; dd 20 and expecting my dgc in early Nov.

3. We are in the exploratory/gathering materials phase

4. I am an autodidact. I left hs in 10th grade and was functionally illiterate until my late 20s.

5. Spring/Fall

1. What's your name?

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)?

4. Something interesting about yourself. 5. What's your favorite season?

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? 8. Why did you decide to homeschool?9. What country would you want to visit, or have you?

Kay

7.75 y/o male

SWR, SWO, SM/MEP, SOTW, Adventures in Atoms and Molecules/RSO chem, Minimus, WWE 2, GWG 2 and I'm a MCT wannabe

I was once one of 11 passengers on a freighter and our waiter was hacked to death in his sleep. They never solved the crime.

Fall in the midwest and East, summer in my neck of the woods

Science

Eclectic neo-classical

Academic excellence, saving on tuition, a challenge

As a child I lived in Australia, and traveled to Europe (top and bottom) 4 times plus Japan, Mexico (by car, no resorts here), Canada. And not one was a "tour" or by airplane.

1. What's your name?

Caitilin

6, ages almost-2, 6, 7, 9, 12 and 12

A variety - not all is in my sig but those are the main ones.

I can speak German, I like to cook, I am a high-church Episcopalian, I was homeschooled myself

Each of them as they begin, and none of the them as they end. ;)

English and Latin

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical with bits and pieces of whatever works thrown in.

Because when my twins were little, I couldn't imagine their being gone from home for so long at a time--and now I still can't! ;)

Germany, but I'd love to go back there, or anywhere, really!

Edited by Caitilin

1. What's your name? Kristy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? 3

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Little bit of everything~LOL

4. Something interesting about yourself. I have no idea

5. What's your favorite season? Spring

Guest Cindie2dds
anyone interested in a little game of get to know you?

It's pretty simple, I will post some questions and whoever posts just answers them and if they want to add another question for those after them they can if not no biggie :)

1. What's your name?

Well, most answers are in my siggy, but I'll still list:

1. Cindie (nickname ~ real name Cynthia, but I didn't know this until I went to school and the teacher kept calling "Cynthia, Cynthia, Cynthia....." until she finally looked at me intently. I realized she was talking to me. :lol:)

My girls are named specifically so they wouldn't be shortened easily. The names below are pet names from when they were babies.

2. I have two girls (6.5 and almost 4) and would have loved more, but we struggled getting pregnant and lost two. I am happy with the ones we have and am very, very grateful for them.

3. After buying and selling a ton, we have finally settled in. We use Oak Meadow and Ambleside Online, with a splash of WTM.

4. I was an only child until I was 26 and had been married for 5 years. I have a 13 year-old half sister. That's a whole other thread....:glare:

5. It would be Spring, hands-down, if it weren't for my severe Spring allergies. It's Fall. I love the warm days left over from summer and the cool evenings where you want to sit outside until you have to come in. :)

6. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I have lived in Canada (Ottawa), visited: Germany, Mexico, England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, South Africa, Belize, Venezuela, Most of the Caribbean Islands and Bermuda.

I would love to visit Portugal and Australia.

Edited by Cindie2dds

1. What's your name?

Rebecca

Children: Quinn (boy) almost 9 and Kyra(girl) 7.

Math, Health: R & S

Science: R & S, Seton

History: Story of the USA & Story of Western Civilization Book II

LA: Hooked on Phonics, PLL, Lots of audio read alouds

Lots of outdoor time when the weather allows to learn about things in nature

I asked my husband out for our first date

Fall, I love the cooler weather and the crisp fall air smell

History

I like the CM approach of many different short lessons, ease of workbooks and finding materials that support whatever my child's interests are.

I am not an infant person so I thought, why would I want to send them to PS when they are just starting to get interesting? :) Plus, my son is extremely active and I don't think he would have made it in a traditional classroom without teachers wanting to medicate him.

I have lived in Guatemala & Honduras. I have visited Indonesia. I would love to visit Australia and Germany.

Guest Cindie2dds

I am not an infant person so I thought, why would I want to send them to PS when they are just starting to get interesting? :)

I didn't answer this question, but my answer would be the same. :D

1. What's your name?

1. Julie

2. two daughters

3. Saxon Math, Apologia science, Analytical Grammar, Sonlight this year and TOG for HS, Vocab. from Classical Roots

4. My dh and I just finished singing a crazy medley of all the songs we could remember from the 70's and 80's to our children! They think it was pretty funny.

5. spring or fall - after the mosquitoes have stopped draining me dry.

6. Why we homeschool - we felt God's leading us in that direction and now the kiddos are happy and don't want to stop!

Thanks for starting the thread - very fun!

Blessings,

Julie

1. What's your name? Amy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? 13 yo girl, 7 yo boy

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? For Next Year: SL, CLE, BJU, WS, critical thinking stuff from several places, some do it myself

4. Something interesting about yourself. A girl that lives next door says that I am the best neighbor she has ever had in her whole life. From what she says, they moved around a lot before buying this house. I got the sweetest Mother's Day card from them thanking me for all I do. It made me feel really special.

5. What's your favorite season? fall

6. Favorite subject to teach: math, I have a degree in it

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? eclectic

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? more time with kids, flexible schedule, don't want kids to have to stay with a class that is ahead or behind

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I've always said Greece because it just looks so beautiful to me.

1. What's your name?

Andrea

Six. Maegan, 12; Matthew, 8, David & Jonathan, 7; Caleb, 6; Sarah, 3.

Most of it is in my signature. I'm exploring other options right now, but nothing definitive yet.

I was in the military for several years and served in Iraq. For some reason this surprises people. I guess b/c I'm such a girly-girl and domestic goddess (or at least I like to think I am). :)

Winter....I'm sure this isn't the popular vote. I have lupus and winter is the only part of the year that my lupus doesn't flare....so it has become my favorite.

I love teaching in general.....they're all my favorites.

I love the WTM, but like to pull aspects from CM as well.

I have a son with learning difficulties and the public school destroyed his confidence and livelihood. I was told that he would never learn anything unless he was medicated and in special ed classes. He just told me this week that he loves math and he is reading....finally. All of this happened without medication and special ed classes. All that was required was teaching him in a way that fit his learning style and dedication. It has really started to pay off. I'll get off my soapbox now. :001_smile:

I have been to Hungary, Germany, Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq, and Mexico. I would love to go to Italy someday.

What's your name? Another Laura

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3 (almost 12, 10, and 6)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? It constantly changes

4. Something interesting about yourself I hitchhiked all over Europe.

6. What is your favorite subject to teach?History, Grammar. I learn so much in each.

1. What's your name? Nancy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) Nicholas (13) Gretchen (11) Lillian (9) Gabriel (6) Kurt (3)

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? PP, SOTW, ETC, Singapore, LfC, Latin for the New Millennium, Teaching Co, CW, FLL, IEW Poetry, Rosetta Stone German, etc, etc, etc

4. Something interesting about yourself - I was the captain of the MA state champ field hockey team my senior year in high school.

5. What's your favorite season? Fall if I'm in New England - spring here in SoCal

1. What's your name? Angela

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3. 16, 13, 9

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? Ambleside Online

4. Something interesting about yourself I can say the alphabet backwards in 4 seconds flat.

5. What's your favorite season? Autumn

6. Favorite subject to teach: Math

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Relaxed Charlotte Mason

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Gifted 3rd-grade dd bored to tears, miserable, and hated learning in gifted school.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? Italy. Dh and I went to Venice, Florence, Siena, and Tuscany for our 10th anniversary (7 yrs ago). Best trip ever.

1. What's your name?

Shawn

Two boys - 7 years old and 21 months.

How much time do you have? SL Core 1, Veritas AE, Shurley, Saxon, SS Latin,

I'm pretty boring actually. I have two tattoos. Oh boy, that's exciting.

Fall. I can not deal with summer heat and the rainy cold is so depressing.

Definitely history.

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? If I had to guess I would say CM but working toward Classical.

I started researching homeschooling when my oldest was diagnosed with severe food allergies. When he started reading at three years old I knew I couldn't send him to school.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I was born in Japan, I lived in Germany for almost three years. Visited Belgium, France and Mexico. I would love to go to Scotland, Italy and Turkey. In that order.

1. What's your name? Rebecca

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 2 - ds10 and ds6

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? HOD, CLE, R&S, ETC are some of my favorites.

4. Something interesting about yourself. I love to sing and I took year and years of voice lessons but am now afraid to sing in front of a crowd.

5. What's your favorite season? Spring

6. Favorite subject to teach: English - I finally get to use my degree (in English). :)

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? CM with a classical bent.

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? My younger son started reading early, begged to stay home, hated preschool, and told me he "needed to learn at home with mommy." About the time we decided to homeschool him, some bad stuff happened at older ds's school and we pulled him out. It was then that we found all the ps gaps and now I would never send my kids back there!

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? France - I love speaking French and I would really enjoy getting to use it in France!

LOL - we really don't follow directions well here, do we? Wasn't everyone supposed to add a question when they answered? If so, shouldn't there be at least 79 or so questions on the list by now (seeing as there have been 74 posts to the thread since the first post and the original post contained 5 questions)???

Alright then. I thought of this one while I was in the shower.

10. If you could go on a research trip to anywhere (fully funded, of course, and not necessarily something that would sell well) what book would you be writing?

I'd be on a research trip to Poland collecting in situ examples of heraldry from pre-1600. That is a photo book I would like to have on my shelf. Naturally I would have the fantastic luck to find examples of all the herby.

Rosie

1. What's your name?

6. Favorite subject to teach

1. Lisa

2. Six (From 11 down to 2)

3. Lots of different things. Horizons, Apologia, Saxon, AOP, ETC, TOG, SOTW..

4. I used to breed Llamas

5. Fall

6. History hands down!

7. Eclectic with a Classical bent

8. There was never any question, I decided to homeschool when I was a junior in high school and was insulted at the work I was assigned.

9. Scotland is my favorite place by FAR, I want to go back, I painfully miss it.

My question:

10. How long have you been homeschooling?

:delurking:

This is as good a place to delurk as any. I've been reading for awhile - I hate to just jump into a board.

1. What's your name? Peggy

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish)? 3 - 13-11-8 - all boys

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? MUS,TOG, Apologia, Shurley, IEW

4. Something interesting about yourself. The older I get the more content I am being me.

5. What's your favorite season? Spring - even if it is pollen city down here then

6. Favorite subject to teach: History

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Classical with a Charlotte Mason bent

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? Our local ps refused to follow IDEA. When they had my oldest charged for 'a manifestation of his disability' (juv probation's words - not mine) and accused me of medical neglect to DSS (my kids are autistic and have more Dr's than my 86 yr old grandma) my husband agreed to pull them out. We fell in love with homeschooling and have no plans to change their status. Finding out that our oldest had dyslexia - despite the ps's insistence his reading difficulties were due to his autism - sorta ended any ideas of sending them back. I am not anti ps - just wouldn't use my local.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I would like to go to England, specifically Wales, where the bulk of my ancestors on one side came from.

1. What's your name? Catrina

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) DD-17 DS-5

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? HOD & a mix of other things

4. Something interesting about yourself I would have loved to have been a Disney Animator : )

5. What's your favorite season? Fall!!! I love it!!! Beautiful leaves, cool weather, apples, pumpkins, smores, and hot chocolate... YUM!

6. Favorite subject to teach Phonics/Reading & History

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? Eclectic

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I couldn't bear that my son turned 5 in August and I was supposed to hand him over to the school system for hours each day. Our schools aren't the greatest either. Also, I felt led to do this and I am SO happy I did. Not only does my son love being homeschooled, but I am LOVING it too!!! : ) Oh, & a flexible schedule.

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? Bavaria, Germany

Italy and Ireland

1. What's your name? Marie

2. How many kids do you have (include ages if you wish) 3

3. What curriculum/curricula do you use? It's all in my sig. Basically, WTM recs.

4. Something interesting about yourself: Umm . . . what would people here find interesting . . . I really freaked a church friend out when I told her I fixed our car's headlight and radio while 9 months pregnant with #2. :confused: I wear my long hair in a bun but have always hated wearing skirts. As I used to complain to my mom, you can't run as fast in them.

5. What's your favorite season? There's something nice about them all, but the best one I remember was fall of '98. The sky was so blue that the colors of the leaves (back in Ohio, it was) were gorgeous in contrast and we seemed to go for weeks before a storm took them out of the trees.

6. Favorite subject to teach: I love history before the Industrial Revolution, Science, Reading, Art, Math - it's a privilege to be able to teach!

7. What's your HS approach in a nutshell? WTM

8. Why did you decide to homeschool? I can give different answers to this one, but the defining moment was when my oldest dd was two years old, did something remarkable (can't remember it now, though!), and I thought, "Wow! She's just like a jewel in the rough. She needs someone to cut her facets and polish her up. A 'one size fits all' approach won't let her sparkle the way God intended. Surely I can do better myself." I've always loved to "do it myself!"

9. What country would you want to visit, or have you? I've been a few places, but I'd love to visit Ireland, Egypt, and the city of Petra.