Menu

I need as many people's opinions as possible. Very easy question!!!!

I ordered five meals at a famous breakfast place this week and all the sandwiches, in my opinion, we burned. Could you click on the link and see the photo:

Now what I'd like to know is this:

Is this sandwich burned?

If you think it's burned would you eat it, or is this how you like it?

That's it! Apparently this is how they cook it...it's standard. Personally, I don't think it should be standard but maybe I'm in the minority!!!!

It looks like an english muffin, and I would say it is not burned. In order to get the main part of a muffin crisp, sometimes you have to sacrafice the rough edges.

I would probably pick off the rough edges before I ate it.

:iagree:

I have successfully toasted English muffins without burning the edges.

I call these burned.

FWIW, if that famous retaurant was Tavern on the Green, I might take it at the chef's word that these are how the sandwiches are supposed to look. However, it appears this sandwich is in a fast food wrapper and I am left to think they are often prepared by a stressed, perhaps under-trained cook. SO, the "take it back" option is just not the same.

But I have had McD's give me a new Egg McMuffin because my first one looked like the one in your photo. Just sayin....

I think it looks burned around the edges but also think that is not a mistake or overcooking, just the way you have to cook it gets it browner around the edge. Probably send it through a conveyer belt type broiler and in order to melt the filling the sticking up edges get overcooked. I would knock off the darkest part and eat it. Don't think I would try to return it or complain.

If I were you, if you don't like them like that then just ask the restaurant to toast them lightly. They can do that.

Her breakfast appears to have been served on paper. I'm not sure that is the type of restaurant that takes special orders. :D

Burned. The charred area would result in a 'burned' taste and that is unacceptable for an eating establishment. Burning on the edges to get a 'done center' means that the temp and cooking technique is not right IMO.

They need to cut it more evenly and cook it differently. I wouldn't ahve eaten it, because those little black bits would make it taste awful.

Is this sandwich burned? Not by my standards but my children would think it was.

If you think it's burned would you eat it, or is this how you like it? I would absolutely eat it and be glad someone actually made the thing crispy. However, if we were at home and I made them that dark for my kids, I'd simply scrape off the sides with a knife first and hand it to them. At which point, they'd eat it.

I say ti was burnt. I don't mind burnt and would have eaten it in a heart beat had I made it at home or been served it that way. However, I don't beleive that is standard for that particular sandwich at that restaurant. I think they are having a problem with their sandwich broiler.

The edges do look a little burned, but it is hard to toast an english muffin without burning the edges a little and getting the middle toasted. I would have eaten it.

Yes, it is burned and no, I would not have eaten it.

Absolutely burned.

I have successfully toasted English muffins without burning the edges.

Several times a week we eat toasted English muffins without them being burned.

But I have had McD's give me a new Egg McMuffin because my first one looked like the one in your photo. Just sayin....

:lol:I've had to take them home and toast the muffin because it was barely warm.

Are the words burnt and burned interchangeable?

:lurk5: I did not even know "burnt" was a word. I was going to google it for proper usage.

There was another word yesterday that ended in a "t" instead of "ed" which I thought was strange. Of course, I have no clue which thread.

Edited by Parrothead

The edges do looked burnt. I don't believe that is uncommon when cooking an English Muffin but that is not the way I like it. Since this frequently happend to English Muffins, I would have just picked off the edges and ate it. If the chef's said this is standard, I would have took him at his word and then keep that info for future reference and either not eat there in the future or if I did, be sure to ask for you muffins very lightly toasted. I have had experiences like this before, when I ordered something that sounded good but then had some horrible sauce on it that was not mentioned or it was served blackened but not mentioned on the menu. It is disappointing.

I know that with O/G phonics one learns that ed makes three sounds, one of which is /t/. Jumped for example.

I googled it and it shows up as a word with a definition. I thought maybe an english language nerd might be able to answer me. (Bill)

It must be some kind of regional dialect thing. I don't say jumped with a /t/ sound at the end.

Interesting how I'm learning new things here lately.