Menu

How long have you been on twm forums?

Posted (edited)

since 2001 -- so, 23 years

We were homeschooling DSs in 2nd and 3rd grades at that point. They are now both 30+, both loving working in their career fields, and one is recently married. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

since 2001 -- so, 23 years

We were homeschooling DSs in 2nd and 3rd grades at that point. They are now both 30 or older, both loving working in their career fields, and one is recently married. 😉 

2 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I joined when my almost 35 yos was in 6th grade.....I'm too lazy to figure out exactly, but I'm guessing that was around 2000.

I love seeing you long timers here!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, seemesew said:

I love seeing you long timers here!

Thx for the encouragement to stick around! And such a pleasure to get to see the journey of so many of you still in the midst! 😄 

I just wanted to use this as a springboard to say that homeschooling was such an incredible privilege and blessing to me and my family. The "hardest best thing I've ever done," as I like to think of it. 💕

Having access to the wisdom of those on the WTM board -- many now long-since moved on 😉 -- plus all of the wise, local-to-me homeschooling moms, who helped to make homeschooling such an amazing life-changing experience for us -- what a gift!

I know that everyone's life circumstances are different. All of our children are different. All of the social/educational opportunities available to each of us is different. Etc. And I absolutely know that no one size fits all, and that homeschooling -- or public or private or charter school -- may only be best for a season for some children or some families...

But, I do feel so sad seeing the recent posts about "regretting homeschooling." I just wish homeschooling could be/could have been for everyone the incredible, intense, growth-causing, positive life-changing experience that has blessed me and my family.

Peace in your journeys, all.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 12

2021 when my eldest could start school and basically everyone who works with children and knew DS said DS is going to need alternative schooling (not the typical public school).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Thx for the encouragement to stick around! And such a pleasure to get to see the journey of so many of you still in the midst! 😄 

I just wanted to use this as a springboard to say that homeschooling was such an incredible privilege, and blessing to me and my family. The "hardest best thing I've ever done," as I like to think of it. 💕

Having access to the wisdom of those on the WTM board -- many now long-since moved on 😉 -- plus all of the wise, local-to-me homeschooling moms, who helped to make homeschooling such an amazing life-changing experience for us -- what a gift!

I know that everyone's life circumstances are different. All of our children are different. All of the social/educational opportunities available to each of us is different. Etc. And I absolutely know that no one size fits all, and that homeschooling -- or public or private or charter school -- may only be best for a season for some children or some families...

But, I do feel so sad seeing the recent posts about "regretting homeschooling." I just wish homeschooling could be/could have been for everyone the incredible, intense, growth-causing, positive life-changing experience that has blessed me and my family.

I agree with your entire post (except I'm still homeschooling.)

It also makes me sad to read the regret thread. I love homeschooling and my kids and our family have been so blessed by it.  I have 3 graduations in May.....grad school, UG, and high school. Our kids  have had great post-homeschooling academic experiences all built on top of the wonderful foundation they had from our homeschool.

I do wonder about current homeschooling trends, though. Our homeschool is completely the opposite of current trends. No co-op. Little outsourcing. No online school or automated computer programs. No school in a box. It is truly a unique educational experience that they could not receive anywhere else. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I just wanted to use this as a springboard to say that homeschooling was such an incredible privilege and blessing to me and my family. The "hardest best thing I've ever done," as I like to think of it. 💕

I agree! I'm a second generation homeschooler and always am sad to hear that sentiment as well. 

1 hour ago, 8filltheheart said:

I agree with your entire post (except I'm still homeschooling.)

It also makes me sad to read the regret thread. I love homeschooling and my kids and our family have been so blessed by it.  I have 3 graduations in May.....grad school, UG, and high school. Our kids  have had great post-homeschooling academic experiences all built on top of the wonderful foundation they had from our homeschool.

I do wonder about current homeschooling trends, though. Our homeschool is completely the opposite of current trends. No co-op. Little outsourcing. No online school or automated computer programs. No school in a box. It is truly a unique educational experience that they could not receive anywhere else. 

Homeschoolers definitely have a different view today than when I was young! We had never heard of co-ops or outsourcing in the 90's in my area 😆

• Like 3

I think I've been here for about 10 years or so, but my mother has a really old WTM book;)  I'm also a 2nd generation home schooler. We had support group then HSAP when I was young, but homeschooling seems really different now. So many people are doing it with out the thought out philosophy of those '90s homeschoolers. I miss the camaraderie of those days;)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, countrymum said:

I think I've been here for about 10 years or so, but my mother has a really old WTM book;)  I'm also a 2nd generation home schooler. We had support group then HSAP when I was young, but homeschooling seems really different now. So many people are doing it with out the thought out philosophy of those '90s homeschoolers. I miss the camaraderie of those days;)

I miss the camaraderie of those days too! In person and online. 

I mostly lurk here but have posted off and on throughout the years. I’ve been around for at least 20 years. Both of my children are grown, one married with a baby on the way, and the other in college.

As other posters have said, homeschooling was an amazing journey for my family and I am so very thankful that the Lord led me to it! I still miss those days so much! I garnered much wisdom here from the wonderful members of the Hive!

• Like 2

I think since 2001, but it might be 2002 or so.

I'm mostly in lurk-mode, absorbing the wisdom.

I wandered off after the kids graduated high school, but then I discovered that it's okay to come here and talk (lurk/read) about other stuff like gardens, books, aging parents, health, crazy neighbors, adorable grandkids (I don't have any, but several of you are doing a great job there), Christmas gift ideas, etc. 

• Like 4

I've been around since 2001 at least. That's when I first read TWTM. My oldest, now 25yo and married, was in pre-kindergarten. However I was much more active on the old FIAR message boards in those early years. I mostly just lurked here.

I didn't end up homeschooling all the way through due to a messy divorce but I cherish the years we did homeschool. Now I'm remarried and have one more kiddo still in school. He's been in public school for the last two years but it looks like we will be homeschooling again next year.

I honestly don't regret homeschooling at all but I am doing things differently this last go around.

• Like 1

I've been here about 20 years, when I was starting to homeschool my oldest at age 5.  The wisdom & resources here had a profound impact on our homeschool, and I'm so grateful.  And I loved homeschooling; I'm a bit unmoored now that all my kids have graduated (still in transition, for sure!).

• Like 5

15 years, since ds was 4 and we started homeschooling.  He's turning 19 this year.  I'm still homeschooling youngest dd (16) and run a homeschool science center so I'm still immersed in that world.  

• Like 2

Since they began in 1999 or 2000?  Don't remember exact dates.  I sometimes take long board breaks.

My dc were 6yo to 16yo when I found the 1st WTM book in 1999 and began WTM.  I felt like that book and these forums were a lifeline for our hs'ing.  

There weren't a lot of people with older kids back then, so not a lot of BTDT experience at that point on the boards.  But there were tons of people with great insights and training and all kinds of other valuable things I needed at that time.  My kids and I kind of 'grew up with WTM'. 

I absolutely loved hs'ing.  We did all of K-12 at home with my 5 youngest dc.  (Oldest ds did ps.)  We also did it without co-ops, outsourcing, online anything, etc.  Dc did great in college and all graduated with honors.

I don't have grandkids, but I hope hs'ing is still a possibility for them if my kids ever have kids because they've all said they'd like to hs any kids.  We'll see.

• Like 3

It's so nice seeing these precious names! 

I had to check my profile to figure it out, but I think the profiles only go back to when this board, in current form, first started (2008). I am pretty sure I started here when dd was 4 or 5, so 2004/5. Gosh. Nearly/around 20 years!

• Like 1

I think I started visiting around 2004-2005 but I didn't say much for a while. I was homeschool curious when my oldest was preschool aged but didn't feel I had much to add. I saw the old style board but I don't think I ever posted there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

About as long I as I have been homeschooling: going on 20+ yrs now.

Things sure have changed and not all good. I think the boards have become more judgmental/critical and less tolerant of the individual choices each family makes. We tend to forget we are all different. Our kids are all different. What works well for one does not translate to all. Thinking "If only they applied themselves more then they could do things MY way." or "They need to just stop hopping around and actually teach." is not a supportive or helpful attitude to have much less express. Lots more options means lots more children and families with diverse needs that can be met. Some may say "It's all less ACTUAL teaching!", but I don't think so. What does it matter if the kid is being taught every single subject by Mom/Dad handcrafted specifically for them, or using a box, or by a video with Mom/Dad being tutor, or any other way we choose to educate at home? Is the kid learning? Is the family happy? We don't really know that family's needs or struggles so who are we to judge?

I love the quote some of you have that goes along the lines of "Be kind to everyone you meet because everyone is fighting a battle you cannot see." I think we all, me too, need to remember that we are all trying to do our best for our kids, that we are here to lift each other up, to encourage each other, and to love each other.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4

I joined in 2008 when my kids were in pre-k and 4th grades.

They are now 21 and 27, but I still love hanging around with my tackle friends and joining the occasional post when I have time. I teach homeschool math classes online and in a co-op next year, so I still find a lot of help here. 

• Like 3

Since the first edition was published...I think 2000 -- Wow! My youngest will graduate college with her BA next year! Back to work in 2020 when she was a senior in high school - online, part-time, what a year!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SilverMoon said:

Since it looked like lines of text to click on and not a pretty forum like this one? Kinda like those old VegSource forums. 

Ha, I remember Vegsource! Those were the days 😊

On 5/7/2024 at 2:49 PM, Green Bean said:

About as long I as I have been homeschooling: going on 20+ yrs now.

Things sure have changed and not all good. I think the boards have become more judgmental/critical and less tolerant of the individual choices each family makes. We tend to forget we are all different. Our kids are all different. What works well for one does not translate to all. Thinking "If only they applied themselves more then they could do things MY way." or "They need to just stop hopping around and actually teach." is not a supportive or helpful attitude to have much less express. Lots more options means lots more children and families with diverse needs can be met. Some may say "It's all less ACTUAL teaching!", but I don't think so. What does it matter if the kid is being taught every single subject by Mom/Dad handcrafted specifically for them, or using a box, or by a video with Mom/Dad being tutor, or any other way we choose to educate at home? Is the kid learning? Is the family happy? We don't really know that family's needs or struggles so who are we to judge?

I love the quote some of you have that goes along the lines of "Be kind to everyone you meet because everyone is fighting a battle you cannot see." I think we all, me too, need to remember that we are all trying our best for our kids, that we are here to hopefully lift each other up, to encourage each other, and to love each other.

Part if the reason it took me years to be willing to come here much other than look things up and not post anything is because people were so judgemental. I think it is much better than it used to be or maybe I am older and more secure and can just say "meh" more often. 

• Like 3