62 members have voted

1. 1. Closest to my view on phone access in school, particularly teens

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes with caveats about use
    • No with caveats
    • Kids need to learn to manage phone ise
    • Other

Our son goes to a small school that takes phones away during the day. Getting a message to him is circuitous for a variety of reasons that apply mostly to a small school.

It has its drawbacks and its positives, but after two years, I’m finding it annoying. I also want my son to be able to set alarms between classes to remember specific things that are not part of his normal routine.

Also, if he is ever going to be independent with healthcare stuff, he needs to be able to check MyChart now and then sometimes before close of business—with a late bus ride, that’s not always feasible.

• Like 1

I won't take phones away, because in an emergency, I want kids to have them, and it hasn't really been an issue. But, a caveat here-my classroom has lousy phone coverage, so unless you log into the wifi, you're probably going to end up getting your texts after you go outside or upstairs anyway.

I sometimes find it frustrating that M (17, graduating in about 2 months, turns 18 next month) has all these rules against phone use at the 2 day a week UMS and still needs an adult's signature for evwrything...but somehow, is magically supposed to be able to be a competent adult next fall living away from home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I voted yes, with caveats.  Ds2 was in a school shooting and was able to call to tell us there was a shooting and he was okay minutes before we even knew anything happened.  And then we were able to keep in touch with him until he was allowed to leave the campus (he was in the room where it happened and a witness, so he had to stay a while plus the school would only release students under 18 to parents so it was quite a mess).  I can't even imagine not knowing if he was okay or not and was SO grateful that he had the phone. 

But I would never text my kids during class!  That is bizarre unless it's an emergency/extremely important and I do think it's a distraction.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, silver said:

I'm reminded of an article I read a few days ago:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/03/phone-free-schools-movement-parents-teenagers.html

The teacher who wrote the article mentioned students who facetime their parents while in class, parents who want a text from their kid every class period, etc. 

I have a friend who is like that with her kids. She is just way overinvolved with everything. 

• Sad 1

I have always rolled my eyes at the parents who felt their kids always needed their phones with them in case of emergency. Yes the kids with medical needs that necessitate it but really I never understood why my kid needed her phone at all times. At my dd’s school they put their phones in pockets at the back of the room. They have specific number pockets so the teacher can glance and see who hasn’t put their phone up. So they have them between classes and at lunch but during class they are to be up in the pockets. I have had no problem with this and thought parents who complained that their child needed constant access to their phones were being dramatic. 

But I was wrong. My dd had a shooting incident at her school about a month ago. It didn’t involve students but someone was shot in the parking lot of her school during the day. School went on hard lockdown and it was chaos. The kids and teachers believed they had a school shooter for about ten minutes. After that time teachers received word it was a community event outside the school and they were safe. They had to stay in lockdown for several hours and it was scary but they knew they didn’t have an active shooter in the school. 

Except for the few students that found themselves in random places during lockdown that they were not with teachers and did not have their phones. Kids that had been in the bathroom, etc. A friend of my dd’s had run an errand for another teacher and was all alone in an empty classroom when the lockdown was called. He threw the lock and followed procedures but he was alone for a long time with no teacher walkie talkie and no phone so no way of getting updates so he had no idea what was happening. Poor kid!

So yeah maybe kids do need to be allowed to carry their phone on them. I just didn’t see the need until it happened to my kid. She went into hiding without her phone but at least they got updates on the teacher walkie talkie and the teacher had her phone and as soon as it was safe to come out of hiding she let the kids get their phones. Some teachers did not allow their kids to get their phones as soon as my dd was allowed hers. 

So I was totally on board with the no phones during class policy. Now I think they should be able to keep them on their person if they want as long as they aren’t using them. With so many things I wish they would actually deal with the offense/offenders than make blanket policies that don’t work or punish the wrong people.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I feel the schools have a right to make rules, and kids should follow them as long as they aren't dangerous or immoral.  I also feel that kids can and should learn how to control their behavior while possessing cell phones.

My kids' school says they are not allowed to use their phones while in actual classes.  They can do whatever they want between classes, in study halls, or at lunch.  They ask parents to help out by not messaging or calling our kids during class times.  I think this is reasonable, and I try to follow it, though I don't always know exactly when their classes are in session.  (I rarely text during school hours, but sometimes I want to remind a kid about an after-school appointment, or to approach a teacher for something.)

My goodness.  I went almost 30 years without a cell phone, believe it or not.  Kids can go a few hours without checking theirs.  That said, I do want my kids to have their phones at least on the same property (in a safe place, reasonably easy to access).  It gives them and me more flexibility than we would otherwise have.  It's a convenience, but that's not a bad thing.

In practice, kids are still using their phones during class.  The teachers have a right to discipline them for that.  So far, my kids haven't been disciplined, but if they do, it's on them.  Kids need to listen in school, and I kinda wish the teachers were more strict about this.

• Like 5

I support kids having phones on them in theory. But in reality my kids (brick) schools are like big faraday cages and there is no service. I think even the newer buildings were built like fallout shelters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver said:

I'm reminded of an article I read a few days ago:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/03/phone-free-schools-movement-parents-teenagers.html

The teacher who wrote the article mentioned students who facetime their parents while in class, parents who want a text from their kid every class period, etc. 

That’s crazy and why no one can have nice things! Yikes!

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

So I was totally on board with the no phones during class policy. Now I  should be able to keep them on their person if they want as long as they aren’t using them. With so many things I wish they would actually deal with the offense/offenders than make blanket policies that don’t work or punish the wrong people.

Agreed

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I also feel that kids can and should learn how to control their behavior while possessing cell phones.

My kids' school says they are not allowed to use their phones while in actual classes.  They can do whatever they want between classes, in study halls, or at lunch.  They ask parents to help out by not messaging or calling our kids during class times.  I think this is reasonable, and I try to follow it, though I don't always know exactly when their classes are in session.  (I rarely text during school hours, but sometimes I want to remind a kid about an after-school appointment, or to approach a teacher for something.)

My goodness.  I went almost 30 years without a cell phone, believe it or not.  Kids can go a few hours without checking theirs.  That said, I do want my kids to have their phones at least on the same property (in a safe place, reasonably easy to access).  It gives them and me more flexibility than we would otherwise have.  It's a convenience, but that's not a bad thing.

Yeah, I think kids do need to learn to resist the phone in their possession too (within reason—obviously not all kids are ready for that). Kids close to graduation are going to face this on the job as well!

I sometimes need to remind my son about appointments because I have no idea what the teachers are doing or thinking. Thankfully one of the staff members finally just told me to email her instead of using the school app to communicate when I need to pick him up for appointments because the school app is not instantaneous, and she realized that another adult at the school that is supposed to be interchangeable with her in getting kids around for appointments and such is too loosey-goosey about time and creatively reinterprets directions (facts appear to be relatively meaningless to that teacher). She didn’t say all that to me, but she could see a pattern forming since my son has lots of medical appointments, and the dropped balls happened with the fact-immune teacher.

I would be happy to have a schedule and text at the most appropriate time if my kid could keep his phone. It’s a total pain to get ahold of him to ask some picayune but important medical question if one of his care managers calls—there is literally no main desk phone in his building! I have to leave a message, they find him, and then he has to find a private place to talk in someone’s office. Growing up, our front office at school could reliably and quickly dial any classroom.

In the days before cell phones, people behaved differently in a lot of ways, and there were usually public phones, including at school even if it was out where they board the bus.

• Like 1

Our local high school is separated into a 9th grade building and a 10-12th grade building.

At the 9th grade building, the rule is a pretty strict "If we see it or hear it in class, we take it". Every teacher has a supply of zip lock bags. If they "take" a phone, they have the student label the bag with their name and drop their phone into the bag. Bags are delivered to the office where students can pick phones up at the end of the day. This whole process seems time-consuming and disruptive to me. If nothing else, if I was a teacher there, I would have repeat offenders pre-label a stock of bags ahead of time.

The rules get much, much less strict when kids move to the upperclassman building. There the rule is much more, "If your phone is causing a disruption, we will ask you to put it away. If you refuse, or cause frequent disruptions, then you will be disciplined in the same ways as for other misbehaviors."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

This whole process seems time-consuming and disruptive to me. If nothing else, if I was a teacher there, I would have repeat offenders pre-label a stock of bags ahead of time.

I can see that being a problem in itself. Sometimes sounds are not controlled in just one place! Or parent numbers get through even when on silent mode.

At my dd’s school you can still call the front office and have them get a message to your kid if it is important. If a kid had as many messages as it seems like your ds does I am sure my dd’s school would just let him keep his phone. Her school is very accommodating to any one with any kind of extenuating need.  Of course your child would have to be discrete about phone use as well to make it work. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

At my dd’s school you can still call the front office and have them get a message to your kid if it is important. If a kid had as many messages as it seems like your ds does I am sure my dd’s school would just let him keep his phone. Her school is very accommodating to any one with any kind of extenuating need.  Of course your child would have to be discrete about phone use as well to make it work. 

I’ve almost asked. It’s actually a phone with no service except Wi-Fi calling, and if his school friends don’t have their phones on them, texting is slim pickings.

They also use Google classroom on their laptops extensively, so it’s not like he can’t fool around on it already.

He is likely to transfer to a vocational school next year, and I anticipate asking a lot of questions in the IEP meeting because of this. That program will be more aware of his medical issues just by virtue of the kind of program it is. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the school.

My daughter goes to a tiny private school (art focused) and they have always had a strict no-phone rule. They're able to enforce it because the school is small and the parents agree to it before joining. They do not take the phones away from the kids, but they'd get in trouble if they were using it.

However, the huge public school nearby has a new no-phone rule (new state rule) and some parents are really concerned as it is understaffed, there's a huge amount of bullying and vandalism and it's not easy for a kid to get help if they need to. The other day a kid I know rang his mum from the toilets in order to get help. On the other hand, a kid was beaten unconscious and all the kids filmed it, rather than helping . . . I don't know what the answer is.

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

So I was totally on board with the no phones during class policy. Now I think they should be able to keep them on their person if they want as long as they aren’t using them.

Even for things like SAT testing, kids could have their phones on them or under their desks as long as they are powered off. The staff on duty reminded them to power their phones off before entering the exam rooms and reminded them to only power back on their phones after they are out of the testing area (fence, taped boundary). 
Cellphones (the very bulky ones) were available when I was in high school in the late 80s. My teachers would remind us that cellphones and pagers are to be put in silent mode during class time.  We had comically more personal safety alarms accidentally sounding than pager alerts during my high school and college days.

• Like 1

When dudeling was in school - I used a tracking app on his phone so I could find him.   So when I'd get a frantic phone call from the school because they didn't' know where he was, I could say "Check the north stairwell."

and he would use it like a kindle for reading.   
This school - gave every kid a laptop.

The policy at my son's school is no phones on the body.  I head this off at the beginning and agree that ds should never have his phone out during class, but I need it on his body in case of a shooting.  I need to know if my kid is lying in a hallway or evacuated.  I need him to be able to contact me.

It's come in handy twice already during school emergencies, and the teachers are great about letting students text parents updates when they have been evacuated. 

Kids need limits on phones.  They absolutely do.  I have ds's set up so he can't access apps during the school day without permission.  He can use text, call, and camera features, and two others approved for classroom use.  I totally support his teachers removing it if he breaks the classroom contract.  But the limits need to be balanced with the needs of the students for any policy to work well.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have always rolled my eyes at the parents who felt their kids always needed their phones with them in case of emergency. Yes the kids with medical needs that necessitate it but really I never understood why my kid needed her phone at all times. At my dd’s school they put their phones in pockets at the back of the room. They have specific number pockets so the teacher can glance and see who hasn’t put their phone up. So they have them between classes and at lunch but during class they are to be up in the pockets. I have had no problem with this and thought parents who complained that their child needed constant access to their phones were being dramatic. 

But I was wrong. My dd had a shooting incident at her school about a month ago. It didn’t involve students but someone was shot in the parking lot of her school during the day. School went on hard lockdown and it was chaos. The kids and teachers believed they had a school shooter for about ten minutes. After that time teachers received word it was a community event outside the school and they were safe. They had to stay in lockdown for several hours and it was scary but they knew they didn’t have an active shooter in the school. 

Except for the few students that found themselves in random places during lockdown that they were not with teachers and did not have their phones. Kids that had been in the bathroom, etc. A friend of my dd’s had run an errand for another teacher and was all alone in an empty classroom when the lockdown was called. He threw the lock and followed procedures but he was alone for a long time with no teacher walkie talkie and no phone so no way of getting updates so he had no idea what was happening. Poor kid!

So yeah maybe kids do need to be allowed to carry their phone on them. I just didn’t see the need until it happened to my kid. She went into hiding without her phone but at least they got updates on the teacher walkie talkie and the teacher had her phone and as soon as it was safe to come out of hiding she let the kids get their phones. Some teachers did not allow their kids to get their phones as soon as my dd was allowed hers. 

So I was totally on board with the no phones during class policy. Now I think they should be able to keep them on their person if they want as long as they aren’t using them. With so many things I wish they would actually deal with the offense/offenders than make blanket policies that don’t work or punish the wrong people.

This is my stance and EXACTLY what I said to our school board. They can bite me. My kid will have his phone. If he’s on it, bring down the hammer. Otherwise? All the bad words.

• Like 3

two of my friends teach high school at a school which has a "phones (and other personal belongings) need to be kept in lockers" policy. Bags aren't allowed, students are supposed to have their school Chromebook, which has their books on it and maybe a binder that holds loose papers and a few pens/pencils and that's it. 

A few weeks ago, there was a bomb threat. The school was evaculated, and, eventually, the call was made to bus kids to a different location and dismiss from there. 

Most of the kids not only didn't have phones, but many didn't have car keys, ID, or money, either, and most were NOT dressed to stand around outside in cold weather-even if they had a coat, or a hoodie or something like that, it was in their locker. 

And since many parents have their phones at work set to let calls from the school or from their child ring,but others go to silent, teachers letting kids call parents from their personal cell phones didn't work for many, either. Many parents had no clue what was going on or where their kids were until it percolated through the rumor mill and they looked online. 

It was a complete mess, and, as my friend said, would have been far less of one if the kids had been allowed to carry a purse or backpack. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

My kids' school did away with lockers after the Covid shutdown (my kids' first year there).  After a couple years, they asked kids if they wanted lockers, but most of the kids said no thanks.  They carry everything with them all day long.  I think it's nuts.  But whatever.

So the only place they could leave their cell phones would be in the car (if they drive to school) or at home.

Thankfully, our school is reasonable about cell phones IMO.  Wish I could say the same for Tylenol.  😛

My kids didn't attend B&M school but they did a lot of structured extra curriculars and in person dual enrollment classes.  Seems like everything they did had a don't ask don't tell policy.  Phones silent and away and there was no problem.  

When she did committed music theater with long runs, they had a locker they kept youth phones in during shows.  But the stage manager and asst stage manager were always accessible through show times via text.  

My kids were both in public school and were able to have their phones with them.  Teachers would just have them put away in  a backpack or purse during class.  I only recall it being an issue once - When my son was applying to colleges I was helping with some financial aid aspects that required texted codes sent to his phone.  I just called the school - They called down to the classroom and my son went out to the hall to text me.  

• Like 2

I think teachers and schools need to learn how to manage with the phones.  In general phones are supposed to be away during school if they are out they get taken.  The kids pretty much all have some sort of backup old phone that they actually end up turning in if they get caught with their phones.  A lot of the teachers seem to be pretty relaxed about it as long as work is getting done.  I get messages from my kids fairly regularly from my kids often just little things like lookout for this email, hey im staying after for art club etc.

• Like 2

Well, it depends.  I mean, I want my kid to have a phone for safety reasons at school.  There have been a few times the school was locked down and SWAT was there, and fortunately she was absent both times that happened, but if not, I'd really want her to have a phone.  But also, our district is talking about banning phones during the school day, and my main argument is that doing so is stupid because there is so little education happening at school that phones are the least of the problem.  If they want to truly have a school day that doesn't involve kids being on chrome books (screens) all day and go back to having textbooks and working with paper and pencil, I would 100% support that.  But we're not going to do that.  We're also not going to transform class periods into being mostly educational.  We aren't going to stop showing dozens of Disney movies during the school day to kill time.  If we're just killing time and holding kids until they graduate, which is what we are doing, even in AP classes, then why not allow kids to choose their distraction of choice.  I want her to be able to text me to pick her up when the disaster movie the teacher is showing in class so the teacher can grade tests is giving her a panic attack.  I also do generally think that teens need to learn to self regulate and manage electronic distractions, but my biggest argument is that phone use is no worse than anything else not happening at school.  Heck, when my kid was in tenth grade, they didn't have an algebra 2 teacher.  They had a long term sub who didn't know algebra 2 material, and they just assigned the work given by another actual algebra 2 teacher.  So my kid texted my husband the math problems; he explained how to do them via text message, and my kid taught the class how to do the math.  If cell phones were banned, absolutely nobody would have learned any algebra.  My husband had that period blocked on his work calendar as "teach algebra 2 via text message."

• Sad 7

They’re actually banned in schools here statewide. DDs school allows them to keep them in their bags as long as they don’t come out. 

It’s a bit frustrating because if there’s any change of plans on pickup etc I need to catch her immediately school finishes and hope she picks up. However I can see why it’s necessary.

When I taught in school a few years ago, the children turned in their phones when they entered the building with the exception of the juniors and seniors who were doing dual credit and other things off campus.  They got fined big time if they were on their phones or their phones went off in class.

As a teacher, it was absolutely delightful.  Kids talked to us and more importantly, talked to each other. 

Now, that said, I totally understand why in this day and age parents might really want their child to have the phone in case of an emergency.  If I were that mom, I would probably say, just keep it in your backpack.  If they did that and never took it out, there would have been no issue at all. They would have had it for emergencies, but wouldn't have gotten in trouble or fined if they never got it out.

That said, I am against phones period for children under 12 and no smart phone at all until 16, preferrably in college.   I know, there might be some legitimate uses for children (I am thinking divorced parents or something.)  But before my children were 13, I was with them or they were somewhere with a good friend or someone else who had a phone. Lots of my kids' friends had phones, heck my daughter's friend had a smart phone in 1st grade...  

I think we have lost SO much socialization as far as the ability to interact with large chunks of information and how to talk to someone face to face.  I just hate going to youth now at our church.  They barely talk to each other. Their faces are lit up by the phone screen. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Now, that said, I totally understand why in this day and age parents might really want their child to have the phone in case of an emergency.  If I were that mom, I would probably say, just keep it in your backpack.  If they did that and never took it out, there would have been no issue at all. They would have had it for emergencies, but wouldn't have gotten in trouble or fined if they never got it out.

No, they would not.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but if you find one instance of an evacuation or school shooting where children were with their backpacks the whole time, it would be an anomaly.  When my kid's school had a fire, he had his phone and no backpack because they're required to leave them there.  When they had a lockdown/evacuation, he had no backpack.  They're required to leave them there.

Bags in a shooter evacuation are a good way to get your child thrown to the ground or considered a potential shooter and attacked.  As a teacher, I would have expected you to understand emergency protocol and acknowledge that these restrictions exist for their own reasons.  To gloss over them and pretend they don't exist is foolish and a good way to put kids in more danger.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

No, they would not.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but if you find one instance of an evacuation or school shooting where children were with their backpacks the whole time, it would be an anomaly.  When my kid's school had a fire, he had his phone and no backpack because they're required to leave them there.  When they had a lockdown/evacuation, he had no backpack.  They're required to leave them there.

Bags in a shooter evacuation are a good way to get your child thrown to the ground or considered a potential shooter and attacked.  As a teacher, I would have expected you to understand emergency protocol and acknowledge that these restrictions exist for their own reasons.  To gloss over them and pretend they don't exist is foolish and a good way to put kids in more danger.

I guess I figured they could grab their cell phone as the backpack would be under the desk.  That is how we did it in our private school.  They had their backpacks with them all the time But we were a very small school.  So fine, not a backpack, but in some very concealed place that no one would see and they wouldn't take them out. 

The last time I taught in public school was in the 90's.   The last time I taught period was in 2019.

I just meant, that if as a mom, I thought it was important I would figure out a way.  If it cannot be accommodated, then i am homeschooling or changing schools.  That said, I would not send my child with a phone before age 13.  They wouldn't own a phone.  I realize that is my own private view. 

Edited by TexasProud

On 3/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, Kassia said:

I voted yes, with caveats.  Ds2 was in a school shooting and was able to call to tell us there was a shooting and he was okay minutes before we even knew anything happened.  And then we were able to keep in touch with him until he was allowed to leave the campus (he was in the room where it happened and a witness, so he had to stay a while plus the school would only release students under 18 to parents so it was quite a mess).  I can't even imagine not knowing if he was okay or not and was SO grateful that he had the phone. 

But I would never text my kids during class!  That is bizarre unless it's an emergency/extremely important and I do think it's a distraction.  

I'm so sorry that happened to your ds, Kassia. How traumatic.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

I guess I figured they could grab their cell phone as the backpack would be under the desk.  That is how we did it in our private school.  They had their backpacks with them all the time But we were a very small school.  So fine, not a backpack, but in some very concealed place that no one would see and they wouldn't take them out. 

The last time I taught in public school was in the 90's.  

Kids today do not have that luxury of time.  You taught.  You know what it would look like for 19 students to all try to grab their phones at the same time before evacuating.  It's not going to happen.  They don't have that time to waste and get around bodies that are still bent over or kneeling on the floor.  Think back to what you were taught about evacuations and expectations.  It is a 'now' thing, not a 'when we are ready' thing.

• Like 2

Just now, HomeAgain said:

Kids today do not have that luxury of time.  You taught.  You know what it would look like for 19 students to all try to grab their phones at the same time before evacuating.  It's not going to happen.  They don't have that time to waste and get around bodies that are still bent over or kneeling on the floor.  Think back to what you were taught about evacuations and expectations.  It is a 'now' thing, not a 'when we are ready' thing.

I guess. See my addition.

10 minutes ago, Eos said:

I'm so sorry that happened to your dad, Kassia. How traumatic.

Thank you.  We feel very fortunate that he is so resilient and seems to be doing well.  I can't even imagine what he witnessed and experienced that day.  I grieve for him and, of course, the victims and their families,  while being so grateful that he came home safe and is thriving.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Thank you.  We feel very fortunate that he is so resilient and seems to be doing well.  I can't even imagine what he witnessed and experienced that day.  I grieve for him and, of course, the victims and their families,  while being so grateful that he came home safe and is thriving.

I'm sorry, the autocorrect said dad but of course I meant dear son.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Please stop guessing.  It's detrimental.

I AM ALLOWED TO HAVE MY OPINION.

You can have yours and it can be different.  Kids do not need to have their phones out 24/7.  As I said, I had no problem with the juniors and seniors having phones on our campus. They didn't have them out, though to be honest, they were in their backpacks or purses.  I am not sure where else they would have been.  It was fine, but you can disagree.  

• Like 3

I hate smart phones for teens.  My fifteen year old niece’s social media has made me cringe for years because it is so oversexualized and has been since she was 12.  She spends all of her time on her cell phone at family events and it’s not been a good thing for her—i also have concerns about all the videotaping and bullying that goes on at school with cell phones . The research I read is not all in favor of it and we’ve chosen to really restrict all of that as much as possible for as long as is reasonable. I am fortunate in that none of my kids’ friends have phones at this point so that helps.

However, my older two do have cheap android phones locked down with Bark and Google family because they’re home alone now after school with my new job.  DS’s school doesn’t have lockers but he can have it in his backpack or presumably on his person with notifications silenced and can only check it during lunch and after last period.   I like it because google family lets me know when he gets to school and leaves, and since he rides a special needs bus he can text me if there’s a crisis on the bus and he’ll be late.  DD11’s school is very strict about tech. Phones aren’t to be seen at all throughout the day. She does have lockers and phones have to be in there or a backpack.  You can’t have it out until after last bell.  She is continually losing her phone though, because she has no real interest in it, and never remembers where she put it.  I think we’re currently on three weeks without it. Also, there is no cell service where her school is, anyway, so it’s restricted to Wi-Fi use.

Everyone’s circumstances are different.  School shootings are honestly fairly low on the list of things I worry about, but I also recognize that if the worst was to happen it’s likely either DH or I will be there with access to the scene within the first ten minutes.  There was a small fire at my son’s school building recently though during school hours, and he was able to use his phone to text me and tell me he was really struggling with the changes in routine(they had to evacuate and move to a different building for the afternoon) and his teacher said it would be okay if I came and picked him up, and I was glad in that circumstance they bent the phone rules.  I think there’s a way to be strict about phone usage in school to reduce the problematic aspects but bend the rules when necessary.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I hate smart phones for teens.  My fifteen year old niece’s social media has made me cringe for years because it is so oversexualized and has been since she was 12.  She spends all of her time on her cell phone at family events and it’s not been a good thing for her—i also have concerns about all the videotaping and bullying that goes on at school with cell phones . The research I read is not all in favor of it and we’ve chosen to really restrict all of that as much as possible for as long as is reasonable. I am fortunate in that none of my kids’ friends have phones at this point so that helps.

However, my older two do have cheap android phones locked down with Bark and Google family because they’re home alone now after school with my new job.  DS’s school doesn’t have lockers but he can have it in his backpack or presumably on his person with notifications silenced and can only check it during lunch and after last period.   I like it because google family lets me know when he gets to school and leaves, and since he rides a special needs bus he can text me if there’s a crisis on the bus and he’ll be late.  DD11’s school is very strict about tech. Phones aren’t to be seen at all throughout the day. She does have lockers and phones have to be in there or a backpack.  You can’t have it out until after last bell.  She is continually losing her phone though, because she has no real interest in it, and never remembers where she put it.  I think we’re currently on three weeks without it. Also, there is no cell service where her school is, anyway, so it’s restricted to Wi-Fi use.

Everyone’s circumstances are different.  School shootings are honestly fairly low on the list of things I worry about, but I also recognize that if the worst was to happen it’s likely either DH or I will be there with access to the scene within the first ten minutes.  There was a small fire at my son’s school building recently though during school hours, and he was able to use his phone to text me and tell me he was really struggling with the changes in routine(they had to evacuate and move to a different building for the afternoon) and his teacher said it would be okay if I came and picked him up, and I was glad in that circumstance they bent the phone rules.  I think there’s a way to be strict about phone usage in school to reduce the problematic aspects but bend the rules when necessary.

Sounds like you have a very, very reasonable way to deal with it.  That was the point of my previous post.  As a mom, I would "figure out" a way to deal with the situation with my parameters.   

54 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I AM ALLOWED TO HAVE MY OPINION.

You can have yours and it can be different.  Kids do not need to have their phones out 24/7.  As I said, I had no problem with the juniors and seniors having phones on our campus. They didn't have them out, though to be honest, they were in their backpacks or purses.  I am not sure where else they would have been.  It was fine, but you can disagree.  

You are NOT allowed to have an opinion that goes against emergency protocol and puts students at risk because you WANT them to waste time looking for a phone in a backpack. This is not an opinion, it is a foolhardy decision that will kill people.

Figure this out. 

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

You are NOT allowed to have an opinion that goes against emergency protocol and puts students at risk because you WANT them to waste time looking for a phone in a backpack. This is not an opinion, it is a foolhardy decision that will kill people.

Figure this out. 

Feel free to put me on ignore.  This is the only place I have to say what I think without filtering. My opinion. In my classroom, it would not have killed people. Again, my opinion.  

@HomeAgain I know, like everyone else in my life, you are probably right about this issue.  I just get so tired of never being allowed to have an opinion. 

Don't worry, I am not spreading this "dangerous knowledge" in real life.  I would have listened to your passionate speech in real life and disappeared.  Well, actually I would never have offered an opinion.  I would have listened to you argue with someone else, wished I could say something and just slinked away. 

Oh I just can’t even.  Nearly all my closest friends have kids in school. When the schools get rid of the chrome books and stop sending literally dozen of text messages and emails a day to parents (who one presumes most are at work) then they can complain about parents trying to stay in touch with their kids.

That’s not even getting into how violent schools have become and all the anxiety of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Figure this out. 

Having a cell phone is a convenience.  Even in a school shooting, it's about communication after the fact, not about safety.

TBH I'm not so sure I'd want my kids to have their phones with them in an active shooter situation.  Phones tend to make noises at the wrong times that can alert a shooter to their location.  So there are pros and cons IMO.  But given that the overall risk of my kid being injured in a school shooting is very low, I don't count that as a factor in my parenting decisions.

I'm not the tone police, but the tone quoted here isn't a forum discussion tone IMO.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh I just can’t even.  Nearly all my closest friends have kids in school. When the schools get rid of the chrome books and stop sending literally dozen of text messages and emails a day to parents (who one presumes most are at work) then they can complain about parents trying to stay in touch with their kids.

That’s not even getting into how violent schools have become and all the anxiety of that.

How incredibly annoying.  Yeah, I honestly wish we would go back to pen, paper and textbooks.  I don't think technology is "all that."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Having a cell phone is a convenience.  Even in a school shooting, it's about communication after the fact, not about safety.

TBH I'm not so sure I'd want my kids to have their phones with them in an active shooter situation.  Phones tend to make noises at the wrong times that can alert a shooter to their location.  So there are pros and cons IMO.  But given that the overall risk of my kid being injured in a school shooting is very low, I don't count that as a factor in my parenting decisions.

THIS! We do not need an active shooter hearing phones buzzing or kids whispering to their parents. The last thing one should do is text someone who may be in a building with an active shooter. That's putting them at risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SKL said:

I'm not the tone police, but the tone quoted here isn't a forum discussion tone IMO.

yes.  As a mom who has absolutely been tied to her phone when it comes to my kids safety, I just can't believe that my kid having a phone during that type of emergency will do any good other than allay anxiety and fear. Those are understandable issues, but not necessarily actionable. 

And I am the person who spent an entire day consumed with fear because my older daughter didn't answer or text me - I thought medical emergency, got back late and got mugged, ran out late at night to bring her dog out and got kidnapped, etc etc. To the point I was lying in bed overcome with the anxiety and couldn't do a thing. Finally she called me and said she'd been reading Pride and Prejudice all day and her phone had died.  I realized that the phone was enabling  my anxiety and I had to work on that, NOT ensure that my kids would always be in contact with me at any point. 

I’ve been concerned about alarms in active shooter situations. One reason that it would be nice for my kid to have his phone is to set alarms to remind him to use study hall to Zoom his DE teacher to ask questions during her office hours or to remind himself to take/not take the bus, bring xyz home, etc. 

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I don't care if you think the tone was incorrect.  It is not plausible, safe, or in the protocol for students to stop to get their cell phones in the event of an emergency.  It's not opinion, it's fact, and the idea that it should be up to the individual teacher to make that decision puts kids more at risk in every emergency.

You and @TexasProud can try to make my objection be about whatever you want, but it won't hold water.