1. 1. Closest to my view on phone access in school, particularly teens

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes with caveats about use
    • No with caveats
    • Kids need to learn to manage phone ise
    • Other

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

I’ve been concerned about alarms in active shooter situations.

Inner jacket/windbreaker pocket, and set to vibrate. I was a kid that needed a windbreaker for air conditioned rooms so I always had a windbreaker or a puffer jacket on me. The amber alerts are the ones that bypasses the silent/vibrate mode so I had amber alert set to off. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Inner jacket/windbreaker pocket, and set to vibrate. I was a kid that needed a windbreaker for air conditioned rooms so I always had a windbreaker or a puffer jacket on me. The amber alerts are the ones that bypasses the silent/vibrate mode so I had amber alert set to off. 

I think even vibrate still produces a sound.  But I guess at least it wouldn't be heard from very far away.

Anyhoo ... I am fine with kids having their phones on them, so I'm not saying your method is wrong.  I just don't buy the idea that kids' iphones are keeping them safe from sudden, random attacks

I think my kids keep theirs in their jeans pockets, like I do.  Or maybe they just place them face down on their desks while being instructed.  I do hope they grab them if they have to evacuate, but again, only for the convenience aspect of things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SKL said:

I just don't buy the idea that kids' iphones are keeping them safe from sudden, random attacks

They certainly don't. 

We had an exchange student killed here a couple of years back, on her way home from class, while she was talking on her phone.

Phones do not keep kids safe from violence.  But they do allow panicked kids an opportunity to text with someone who loves them, and they also allow kids to contact loved ones and tell them they're okay after the fact.  Or for people to pinpoint location.  

• Like 3

Working in public schools, cell phones are the bane of teachers' existence. Kids as young as 4th grade use them to text each other to meet in pre-determined spots to vape. Kids use Snapchat and TikTok to bully each other during the school day. Parents text their kids all day, disrupting class. They use them to cheat on tests. And this is all in schools where phones are required to be turned to silent and kept in backpacks. Kids hide them in hoodies and wear their earbuds under hoodies as well. Then they can watch YouTube all class. Lunches are much quieter now because kids are all staring at their phones (they are allowed to have them out during lunch).

I get kids wanting to keep their phones on them to be able to reach a parent in case of an emergency, but it's frustrating, and in my opinion, causing harm to student learning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The chances of my kid being in a situation where she is scared or alone and a phone could bring some comfort is way higher than her actually being in a school shooting. 

The situation my dd had this year had some kids in her school alone for a very long time with no communication and it was very scary. A phone would have changed the experience. That’s a much more likely occurrence than actually being targeted by a shooter.

So it isn’t really about a phone keeping a kid safe for me. But I do understand the resistance to administration coming between a kid and their communication device. I don’t care if my dd doesn’t carry hers at all times and she probably wouldn’t bother. But if, after her lockdown experience, she wants to take it with her to the bathroom or to run an errand for a teacher or something that separates her from the group and makes her feel vulnerable I think she should be able to. I take mine with me if I’m going to be at all vulnerable and it doesn’t really keep me safe from violence but it sure brings me some comfort and I get kids and their parents wanting that right as well. 

• Like 1

Again ... I am fine with kids having their phones with them, but I also think teachers should discipline those who break the use rules.  Because from what I'm observing, there is way too much recreational phone use happening during instructional periods.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Working in public schools, cell phones are the bane of teachers' existence. Kids as young as 4th grade use them to text each other to meet in pre-determined spots to vape. Kids use Snapchat and TikTok to bully each other during the school day. Parents text their kids all day, disrupting class. They use them to cheat on tests. And this is all in schools where phones are required to be turned to silent and kept in backpacks. Kids hide them in hoodies and wear their earbuds under hoodies as well. Then they can watch YouTube all class. Lunches are much quieter now because kids are all staring at their phones (they are allowed to have them out during lunch).

I get kids wanting to keep their phones on them to be able to reach a parent in case of an emergency, but it's frustrating, and in my opinion, causing harm to student learning.

This is what I see in the lives of tweens/teens I know and what I hear from my teacher friends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My iPhone will silence calls and texts (except for those from my emergency contacts), but all of my alarms ring when the phone is on vibrate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kbutton said:

My iPhone will silence calls and texts (except for those from my emergency contacts), but all of my alarms ring when the phone is on vibrate.

I have had my alarm set to sound none and then wake up to my phone falling off the bedside table. Usually I just feel my phone vibrating in my jacket pocket. 

B507D135-5807-48AD-BBA7-91429074B3DC.thumb.jpeg.9a576711d4d11e4ea833222a9a14e776.jpeg  A594D4FC-7975-4713-9676-B1E436C8F3DA.thumb.jpeg.f6fc1a55e94012d2071deff609172247.jpeg

• Like 1