Menu

What are your favorite holiday cookies to make?

Tina

Anyone getting their baking list together or starting to bake?  I remember my mom starting right after Thanksgiving and having a month of sweet cookies at our disposal.  🙂

Gonna start today with Gram's almond icebox cookies and ginger molasses cookies.  Others on the list:

pecan crescents

spritz cookies (maybe lemon flavoring this year?)

monster cookies

Basler Brunsli  for the GF crowd

coconut chocolate chip bars (works for GF dil)

Special K bars

sugar cookies

Oreo truffles?

Danish pastry

Edited by Tina
  • Like 4

Spritz are a favorite! Thumbprint cookies. Sugar cookies with frosting on top of some of them. Crawfordoodles—these are actually cake mix snickerdoodles, but a particular family I know (the Crawfords) always make them and have become known for them, so my little friend group calls them Crawfordoodles.  

I’m going to make the thumbprint cookies tonight because they’re fast and I want cookies!!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Gingerbread.  I use an egg-less recipe that keeps for a long time, and it's that perfect chewy-crispy texture thanks to the cream and molasses.  Plus, no worries about eating the raw dough. 😁

I prefer making candy.  I do sea salt caramels, fudge, cranberry "cotlets" (turkish delight?), marshmallows, and peppermint bark.  DH takes over the baking for the most part, with a couple of different cookies he makes.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This year I am trying Vaniljekranse and Honninghjerter. Not sure if they will turn into favorites, but I am going to give it a whirkl.

May have to look for those last two to see what they are!

Edited by Tina

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Gingerbread.  I use an egg-less recipe that keeps for a long time, and it's that perfect chewy-crispy texture thanks to the cream and molasses.  Plus, no worries about eating the raw dough. 😁

I prefer making candy.  I do sea salt caramels, fudge, cranberry "cotlets" (turkish delight?), marshmallows, and peppermint bark.  DH takes over the baking for the most part, with a couple of different cookies he makes.

Recipe please!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Gingerbread cookies don’t “keep” here unless I hide them!!🤣🙄🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

These are ones that we usually do every year. I can never start early cause there wouldn't be any left by Christmas.

• Gingerbread- these are a soft type
  • Birds nest. shortbread rolled in crushed walnuts and a halved cherry on top
  • krumkake
  • springerle
  • spritz using cream cheese and lemon

I may try a few new ones. I have been going through my grandmothers recipe box, I never met her, and have gotten curious. She has one recipe marked as "a favorite" and it sounds like a mincemeat filled cookie-interesting, along with wedding cake cookies

My mom always made divinity and almond bark. I haven't made those in gosh 30 years may be time to try. 

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 3

Too many -- the kids keep adding more and won't let any go.

Always make:

• Linzer cookies with blackberry jam
  • Raspberry-Lemon thumbprints
  • Almond spritz
  • Gingerbread
  • Cutouts with frosting
  • Biscotti

Sometimes make a couple of these:

• Cranberry orange shortbread
  • Chocolate pretzel cookies (just chocolate cutout dough formed into pretzel shapes with sanding sugar)
  • Pecan wedding cake cookies
  • Chocolate dipped mint cookies
  • Cranberry white chocolate bars

We also make chocolate truffles (mocha, mint, and/or almond) and chocolate covered peanuts

Edited by Amoret
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I pretty consistently make:

- knockoff Starbucks cranberry bliss bars

- molasses cookies

- pecan pie bars

- cranberry cheese bars

- cornmeal fennel cookies

- thumbprints

- every couple years my daughter and I make cutout cookies, I hate doing these

- English toffee (not a cookie but I figure close enough)

- dark chocolate/orange/nut bark (original recipe included hazelnuts, but kid became allergic. Moved to almonds, kid became allergic. Trying with pecans this year) 

- a raspberry jam-filled shortbread I forget the exact name of

• Like 6

I usually make the Andes mint cookies (recipe from here--many moons ago). Then it's whatever my kids want to make--maybe sugar cookie cutouts, or peanut butter blossoms, or the peanut butter cookies in a mini muffin tin with a Reese's smooshed in at the end. I guess those are the usual contenders.

• Like 4

I like those Peanut Butter cookies with the Hershey's kiss pressed into them.   They aren't hard to make either.

I do plan to make some buckeye bars for our Christmas get together.   As you can tell, I like the PB/Choc theme! 🤣

One of my mom's sisters always made a huge tray full of all kinds of homemade cookies, candies, etc.....everyone loved them.   She is too elderly now to do it, and I had considered picking up that role, but honestly, I prefer the role of my current title.....I made Christmas gifts every year.   This year will be ornaments.   I literally have less than 2 weeks to make them!   Yikes!

• Like 2

Gumdrop cookies are my families most requested. The recipe comes from my great grandmother. They are delicious made gluten free. My kids like my oatmeal peanut butter cookies too. I also make lemon squares, sucre a la creme and Hello Dollies(the recipe from the sweetened Condensed milk). 

Edited by alysee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, history-fan said:

https://www.cookingnook.com/recipe/thumbprint-cookies/

This recipe is similar to what I have that's been passed down. I have only used red cherry halves, never seen the green. We have always called them birds nest cookies.

That’s funny…I’ve known THESE as Bird’s Nest Cookies (they are a “no bake” cookie)

image.thumb.jpeg.fc9d70baf755c508bc270a7f1500d1df.jpeg

16 hours ago, Tina said:

May have to look for those last two to see what they are!

They are both Danish cookies. We celebrate Yul and observe some Danish traditions due to Mark's heritage. I have been trying to embrace more Danish/Scandi cooking. Normally I buy a tin of Danish butter cookies to ease my load. However, I decided this year I would try to do it all from scratch.

Honninghjerter are honey hearts. The dough is started 5 weeks - 6 months in advance. I started mine 6 weeks ahead for baking on Christmas Eve day. It is just, for now, honey and flour that ages in the refrigerator. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, pinball said:

I googled this. One review said it was too dry and crumbly bc there was only 1 egg and no liquid.

Does your recipe have different ingredients? If not, do you find it dry and crumbly?

This is the recipe I've always used. Never found it to be too dry and crumbly! We love them.

https://www.sunset.com/recipe/cornmeal-fennel-cookies

• Like 2

I love the idea of making fancy shaped cookies.  I have a whole bunch of cookie cutters, and even some springele molds.  But the furthest I tend to go IRL is to using cookie stamps for sugar cookies or lavender sugar cookies or lavender mint sugar cookies.  And yet I’m still drawn, right now, to the ‘Twas cookie cutter set, very overpriced at Williams Sonoma.  So dumb.

Beyond that I love making macaroons, the coconut ones; and chocolate chip bars, and cinnamon diamonds.  Last year I tried thumbprint cookies for the first time, and they were really good.  Walnut balls or the equivalent with pecans are also favorites, as are chocolate crinkles.  But this year I found my mom’s supposedly gone recipe for chocolate snowballs, and I want to make those once again.

• Like 4

Snicker doodles (I make these throughout the year also.

Sugar cookies

Forgotten cookies

Ricotta cookies

Molasses or ginger bread

Chocolate chip with holiday m&m's

Pfeffernusse (although aldis sells some that are really good so I usually end up picking up a pack along with their stollen). 

• Like 4

I don't think the Christmas cookie thing is big in Australia, but I do make a few things for my European-heritage husband. He prefers anything gingerbready like pfeffernusse. I like making Basler Brunsli - they are easy and very delicious. My young son will make biscuits from cake mixes, so just the cake mix without milk and with lots of butter basically. 

• Like 3

I can’t make them anymore, because allergies, but used to make Birdsnest Cookies (similar to thumbprint but different dough and rolled in chopped nuts), Date Nut Pinwheels, Apricot roll ups, chocolate covered cherries, buckeyes, and lots of candies. Plus dips, so many dips. Yum.

Now I want cookies. 

• Like 4

I grew up with cookie trays, but we usually just do dessert at the holidays with the holiday meal. I like to make mini flourless chocolate tortes with a chocolate-orange ganache and candied orange peel topping, or lemon curd tartlets, or white chocolate/cranberry/cheesecake/shortbread bars. Dh eats a strict diet, so he’ll have a handful of macadamia nuts instead. 

• Like 2

Oh, adding to the list...mini chocolate chip snowball cookies. I used to make them when the kids were little, and they were middle Ds's favorite cookie. He is feeling sentimental and requested them. Not exactly Danish. I may make 3 dozen, and place them in some sort of container that will fit their stockings.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I can’t make them anymore, because allergies, but used to make Birdsnest Cookies (similar to thumbprint but different dough and rolled in chopped nuts), Date Nut Pinwheels, Apricot roll ups, chocolate covered cherries, buckeyes, and lots of candies. Plus dips, so many dips. Yum.

Now I want cookies. 

Mmmmmm…dips. 🤤

• Like 3

On 11/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, Amoret said:

Too many -- the kids keep adding more and won't let any go.

• Biscotti
  • Cranberry orange shortbread

Haven't made these in a few years.  I was really  into the chocolate and orange flavors one year!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I grew up with cookie trays, but we usually just do dessert at the holidays with the holiday meal. I like to make mini flourless chocolate tortes with a chocolate-orange ganache and candied orange peel topping, or lemon curd tartlets, or white chocolate/cranberry/cheesecake/shortbread bars. Dh eats a strict diet, so he’ll have a handful of macadamia nuts instead. 

Yum!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bookbard said:

I don't think the Christmas cookie thing is big in Australia, but I do make a few thliings for my European-heritage husband. He prefers anything gingerbready like pfeffernusse. I like making Basler Brunsli - they are easy and very delicious. My young son will make biscuits from cake mixes, so just the cake mix without milk and with lots of butter basically. 

Those Basler Brunsli would work for gf family!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:14 AM, Faith-manor said:

They are both Danish cookies. We celebrate Yul and observe some Danish traditions due to Mark's heritage. I have been trying to embrace more Danish/Scandi cooking. Normally I buy a tin of Danish butter cookies to ease my load. However, I decided this year I would try to do it all from scratch.

Honninghjerter are honey hearts. The dough is started 5 weeks - 6 months in advance. I started mine 6 weeks ahead for baking on Christmas Eve day. It is just, for now, honey and flour that ages in the refrigerator. 

Interesting!!  Sounds perfect for those into fermenting!

I have been looking at my grandma's cookie recipes this year, and also started saving Dutch and German cookie recipes- my heritage.

Edited by Tina

10 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I love the idea of making fancy shaped cookies.  I have a whole bunch of cookie cutters, and even some springele molds.  But the furthest I tend to go IRL is to using cookie stamps for sugar cookies or lavender sugar cookies or laviender mint sugar cookies.  And yet I’m still drawn, right now, to the ‘Twas cookie cutter set, very overpriced at Williams Sonoma.  So dumb.

Beyond that I love making macaroons, the coconut ones; and chocolate chip bars, and cinnamon diamonds.  Last year I tried thumbprint cookies for the first time, and they were really good.  Walnut balls or the equivalent with pecans are also favorites, as are chocolate crinkles.  But this year I found my mom’s supposedly gone recipe for chocolate snowballs, and I want to make those once again.

I have a lot of cookie cutters, yet don't seem to use them.  Do you have a special cookie dough for the cookie stamps?  My cookie dough spreads too much to use the one or two I have.

29 minutes ago, Tina said:

I have a lot of cookie cutters, yet don't seem to use them.  Do you have a special cookie dough for the cookie stamps?  My cookie dough spreads too much to use the one or two I have.

Mine spread a bit but usually you can still distinguish the pattern.  The key is to use very cold dough, I think.

I have not rooted through my cookbooks yet looking for the good recipes this year, but IIRC The ‘Back In The Day Bakery’ shortbreads hold their shape particularly well.  I coop out a small round from the dough bowl in the fridge with a spoon, lightly roll it into a ball and put it on the parchment covered cookie sheet, and stamp it.  That usually works.  I never use a hot cookie sheet, I let them cool off between batches.

If you get ambitious enough to use your cookie cutter this year, try this:  dust your board and rolling pin with powdered sugar instead of flour.  It melts into the dough so you don’t get streaky gingerbread, and it makes it sweeter rather than tougher, and it is just a Great Good Thing.  I learned this from a cookbook called Beat This years ago, and it is a game changer.

• Thanks 2

I really hope I will be able to bake and make candy this year. Cabinets are in, painting is dine.  Floor being laid tomorrow.  Next comes electrician who installs appliances and plumber who puts in sink.  Then counter people cone and measure and 2 weeks later install and we have our new kitchen.  It will probably be more than 6 months since the water catastrophe.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I really hope I will be able to bake and make candy this year. Cabinets are in, painting is dine.  Floor being laid tomorrow.  Next comes electrician who installs appliances and plumber who puts in sink.  Then counter people cone and measure and 2 weeks later install and we have our new kitchen.  It will probably be more than 6 months since the water catastrophe.

That is very exciting! I'm sure it feels long overdue for you though!

Tonight I am making these pumpkin cookies that I haven't made in years. My older kids always loved them. Then I got sick and stopped baking at the holidays. I'm feeling better than I have in years, so I may actually enjoy the holidays this year. 🙂

This is an experiment. I am using mostly freshly milled soft white wheat in these. It calls for all purpose. Fingers crossed they turn out. It would make them a slightly less guilty pleasure. 😉

ETA: experiment was a success. 👍

Edited by popmom
  • Like 6

Every year I say I'm going to cut back and I never do because every variety is someone's "favorite".

Chocolate Crinkles

Molassas

Chocolate chip

Mint Chocolate Chip

Monster

Sour Cream Cut Out

Almond Raspberry Thumbprints

Soda Cracker Bars

Lemon Bars

Fudge Meltaway

White chocolate/peppermint bark

Reindeer Tracks (half with m&m's and half with pecans)

Chocolate covered Cornflakes

I suspect there are several others that I'm forgetting.  I always find more that I want to try too.

• Like 5

On 11/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, HomeAgain said:

I'll pull it out tomorrow for you!  It started as a "Colonial Williamsburg" recipe that received some modifications along the way.

Did you pull it out? I’d love to try it, too. Ds really wants to make gingerbread men this year, and your promise of chewy-crispiness sounds wonderful.

Edited by Ema
Misspelling
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 7:13 PM, Katy said:

Recipe please!

10 hours ago, Ema said:

Did you pull it out? I’d love to try it, too. Ds really wants to make gingerbread men this year, and your promise of chewy-crispiness sounds wonderful.

I am so sorry!  Here it is:

• 1c white sugar
  • 2t ground ginger
  • 1t nutmeg
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t salt1 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 c melted butter
  • 1/2 c cream
  • 1c molasses
  • 3/4t vanilla
  • 3/4t orange zest
  • 4c flour (ish.  Add in enough to make a slightly sticky playdough texture)

Mix together, chill in the firdge overnight.  If it's too sticky after being chilled be liberal with the flour when rolling and cutting to up to 1/2 thick.

Bake cookies at 375, about 10 minutes depending on size and thickness.

The original recipe called for margarine, evaporated milk, and lemon extract but I've never made them that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/26/2023 at 6:36 PM, mmasc said:

I don’t make a single Christmas cookie!😳 Maybe I should start. My kids would be happy if I just made some homemade chocolate chip cookies!

I don’t either. My mom goes way overboard on Christmas treats every year, so I hate to make anything extra. We do get premade sugar cookie dough so the kids can decorate for Santa. I’m also going to make dh some chocolate covered cherries soon.

• Like 2

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

I don’t either. My mom goes way overboard on Christmas treats every year, so I hate to make anything extra. We do get premade sugar cookie dough so the kids can decorate for Santa. I’m also going to make dh some chocolate covered cherries soon.

We kind of got away from baking many treats when we added family members with special dietary needs, but I'm feeling like baking this year.  And my dad LOVED chocolate covered cherries!  Was just debating buying a small boxful.

I really like the Saltine Cracker Candy

Line a 15” x 10” sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Cover the sheet with whole square saltine crackers. It usually takes about 1 1/2 - 2 sleeves of crackers, depending on how many crackers are broken in the sleeves.

Combine 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of packed brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat & let boil for 2-3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover.

Bake 5 mins. at 300F. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Stick back in oven for 1-2 mins. Remove and spread melted chocolate over toffee layer.

optional: top with sprinkles, chopped nuts, chopped peppermints, melted white chocolate (lightly drizzle).

cool and then break into pieces.

• Like 4