Menu

What are your favorite holiday cookies to make?

Tina

26 minutes ago, pinball said:

I really like the Saltine Cracker Candy

Line a 15” x 10” sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Cover the sheet with whole square saltine crackers. It usually takes about 1 1/2 - 2 sleeves of crackers, depending on how many crackers are broken in the sleeves.

Combine 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of packed brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat & let boil for 2-3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover.

Bake 5 mins. at 300F. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Stick back in oven for 1-2 mins. Remove and spread melted chocolate over toffee layer.

optional: top with sprinkles, chopped nuts, chopped peppermints, melted white chocolate (lightly drizzle).

cool and then break into pieces.

This sounds like a recipe my grandma made but she used those buttery Club crackers instead of saltines. Takes the delicious, coma-inducing unhealthiness up yet another level. I pine for these every year but never make them because I lack the self-control necessary not to eat myself sick on them. 🤤

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

This sounds like a recipe my grandma made but she used those buttery Club crackers instead of saltines. Takes the delicious, coma-inducing unhealthiness up yet another level. I pine for these every year but never make them because I lack the self-control necessary not to eat myself sick on them. 🤤

Make a smaller batch maybe?

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I am so sorry!  Here it is:

• 1c white sugar
  • ...Gingerbread Recipe

This is very similar to the old Chicago Tribune recipe. Differences: mine uses brown sugar, uses cloves but no vanilla or zest and has 2x the spices, uses half a cup of water and half a cup of karo syrup instead of the molasses. 

It is very sticky, but it is great for building things. We made a viking ship one year. If you roll it out thin, it's crisp. If you roll it out thick, it's more cakey. Personally, I like it thin with a white glaze/frosting. The recipe itself is not super sweet. 

Edited by LostSurprise
  • Like 3

I usually make: 

Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls...kind of like buckeyes but they have walnut and dates in them

Gingerbread and/or cut out sugar cookies

If my brother didn't make Almond Roca, I'd make that, but I really don't need it around the house. 

Pretzels dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint

Cherry almond biscotti to go with coffee

Sometimes I fiddle with a lemon refrigerator cookie, looking for a more lemony recipe or try to cut down the Kardamon Plaetzchen recipe because I'm the only one that eats it. Or I try something new. So many Christmas cookies are fiddly, and everyone seems to be happy with just 1 or 2 cookies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinball said:

Make a smaller batch maybe?

I bet it does. Although I wonder if the topping amounts were the same. I do remember it as more of a bar rather than thin like bark. In fact, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure there were two layers of crackers.

I probably blew up like Veruca Salt every Christmas when we were there with all the goodies at my finger tips.

1 hour ago, pinball said:

I really like the Saltine Cracker Candy

Line a 15” x 10” sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Cover the sheet with whole square saltine crackers. It usually takes about 1 1/2 - 2 sleeves of crackers, depending on how many crackers are broken in the sleeves.

Combine 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of packed brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat & let boil for 2-3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover.

Bake 5 mins. at 300F. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Stick back in oven for 1-2 mins. Remove and spread melted chocolate over toffee layer.

optional: top with sprinkles, chopped nuts, chopped peppermints, melted white chocolate (lightly drizzle).

cool and then break into pieces.

Has anyone tried this using maple butter for part of the sugar? I bought several jars at Aldi when they had it before Thanksgiving, and the idea of salted maple toffee with chocolate sounds awesome!

• Like 1

This is our first holiday season with my daughter being gluten free. Any great gluten free dessert recipes to share?

I usually make spritz cookies and thumbprint cookies and peppermint chocolate cookies at Christmas time. 

So far I’m thinking peanut butter blossoms as they don’t call for much flour and no bake cookies as they don’t call for flour at all. I’ve read that it’s better to start with recipes that call for less flour when swapping out the flour for gluten free flour.

We made a gluten free apple crisp for Thanksgiving and it was very good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melanie32 said:

This is our first holiday season with my daughter being gluten free. Any great gluten free dessert recipes to share?

I usually make spritz cookies and thumbprint cookies and peppermint chocolate cookies at Christmas time. 

So far I’m thinking peanut butter blossoms as they don’t call for much flour and no bake cookies as they don’t call for flour at all. I’ve read that it’s better to start with recipes that call for less flour when swapping out the flour for gluten free flour.

I like to make a chewy almond cookie. It doesn’t use any flour. I also have a flourless peanut butter cookie recipe that would work for making those chocolate peanut butter things. I got the peanut butter one here—it’s the three ingredient one (sugar, eggs, peanut butter, IIRC). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KSera said:

I like to make a chewy almond cookie. It doesn’t use any flour. I also have a flourless peanut butter cookie recipe that would work for making those chocolate peanut butter things. I got the peanut butter one here—it’s the three ingredient one (sugar, eggs, peanut butter, IIRC). 

@Melanie32 
@KSera's post reminded me of a recipe I came across this week for peanut butter fudge. No flour in those either. I'm not a chocolate person, so it sounded yummy to me--just the plain peanut butter fudge. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/276663/grandmas-creamy-peanut-butter-fudge/

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:11 AM, ScoutTN said:

Are biscotti hard to make? I’ve never tried them but might be up to try this month.

Not very hard. Just an extra step. 

The dough is a bit stiff and you form it into flat logs. When it's done baking you let it cool a bit and then cut the log into strips. The strips go back into the oven at a low temperature and get toasted a bit (you flip them after 5-7min). How hard they get depends on what you like. I like mine a bit more American, so toasted but not super hard. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Melanie32 said:

Cheesecake with nut crust instead of graham cracker. I use pecans and butter. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Melanie32 said:

My peanut butter blossom recipe is gluten free - 1 cup sugar, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 egg. Mix together, use a small scooper to portion dough and bake. Press the Hersey kiss in after baking. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 5:40 AM, Melanie32 said:

You can make peanut butter cookies without flour.  My friends loved these last night.

1 c peanut butter

1 c sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla.

I have a chocolate chip coconut bar we all love.  This was the first recipe I used for my dil.

2 eggs

3/4 c brown sugar

1/2 c GF flour -I just use the RedMill blend from the grocery store

1/4 tsp each salt and baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

1 c shredded coconut (mine isn't sweetened)

1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat the eggs and sugar, then add through the coconut.  Bake in a greased 8x8 pan, sprinking the chocolate chips over the dough.  Bake at 350* for 25 minutes.

I'm going to try the Basler Brunsli cookie someone shared in this thread, too.  It uses almond flour.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@HomeAgain Thank you! Can’t wait to try them; they sound great!

My kids each get to choose a recipe to make. Usually we end up making a spritz recipe, chocolate shortbread cutouts, regular sugar cookie cutouts, and a ‘wildcard’ recipe—sounds like this year it will be the gingerbread cookies! Then I make lime and gin macaroons just for my sister and me. 

• 3 weeks later...