Menu

pre-lit Christmas Trees....yes or no?

ProudGrandma

I won't buy anything other than pre-lit.

When you're shopping, though, pay close attention to the number of tips and the number of lights on the tree. Sometimes the cheaper trees have very skimpy lights and not enough fullness! 

Also, you can sometimes get very expensive trees at great sale prices, so it pays to shop around before you buy. It's also good if you can see the trees set up in a store before buying so you can make sure you like the colors of the lights, and be sure that you have the option for colored lights or all white. Most of the trees also have different flicker options, too, and be sure to get a tree with stay-lit bulbs, so if one goes out, the others stay lit.

• Like 2

pre-lit. 
They've come out with ubermini lights that are LED, color changing, remotes, etc.

dh's busiest time of year is Oct- dec. so I'm doing the tree mostly by myself.  We bought a new pre-lit last year (it's our second prelit tree. we did have to restring it, but we still stored it with the lights on it.), and because 2dd is coming, he wants to have a real tree from our yard (we planted a bunch of nobles, we call it our Christmas tree lot, - they're of size. . . )
I've made it absolutely clear, I will NOT put lights on a tree!   I bought him a bunch of new candle lights last year.  (which I do, because he does an unsatisfactory job.) He doesn't want to put any other lights on the tree . . . . . . I don't need to decorate it either . . . .

Though I'm sorely tempted to buy some of these lights .😄  

I found them at the Christmas Decorator's warehouse in Arlington TX. .. .  I fell in love with them.  (they're great as a backgroung light.) they're so tiny, so easy to put on, and twinkle so they look like stars.

Edited by gardenmom5

I may be the lone voice here, but replaced ours two years ago and I went with not pre-lit. I like colored lights and there weren't many choices available. Plus I like a lot more lights than were on the pre-lit trees available in my area. 

Yes, it's a pain, but it't a once a year pain. 

My next tree will likely be a downsize so I might reconsider then. 

• Like 3

I will never buy another prelit tree. When the strands begin to go out, you have to start adding separate lights anyway, and then you have a couple of years with a mix of lit and dead bulbs, and then you either need to toss an expensive plastic tree in the landfill or cut a million dead lights out and restring it anyway.

Last year was the year I finally had to cut everything off of an otherwise very nice tree, that I really didn't want to throw out, and it took two days and a ridiculous number of hours to cut off a million little plastic clips with wire cutters; my hands were sore for days afterwards. It literally took way less time to just wind several new strings of lights through the branches (no plastic clips!) than it did to cut off all the old dead lights. And when these strings quit working I can very easily just pull out the dead string and replace it, instead of spending a couple of days killing my hands with wire cutters.

ETA: I do not take the lights off after Christmas, I have one of those fabric covers (like this) that pulls up and covers the whole tree and I just put it in the garage with all the lights and garlands on it, then bring it in next year, pull down the cover, and it's ready to go.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

We have mostly done prelit, but when this one is replaced, it will be with an unlit tree. I hate the idea of trees in landfills because a strand of lights burned out. Stringing lights is NBD to me.

I don’t know if this is an option, but the very best, most beautiful and realistic tree we ever had came from a wholesale florist. It was gorgeous and looked real. If you are fortunate enough to live near a floral supply store, and have the option to shop there (need a tax number, for some) — definitely go and see what they have!

Our current tree is Balsam Hill, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the wholesale florist tree.

• Like 3

When we use an artificial tree, we prefer pre-lit.  Just less work.  We aren't fancy about decorating.

It's true, after a number of years, some of the lights stopped working.  I was able to find a work-around until we needed a new tree.

I had gone with un-pre-lit when we bought our artificial tree. DH said it was an expensive enough tree that he wanted it to last and was afraid the lights wouldn't last. I do regret not getting pre-lit but then maybe if I got pre-lit it would break and I would regret that.

Following this conversation though because I'm curious about the longevity of a pre-lit tree and whether a higher quality tree would make a difference.

I said I would never buy prelit again, but I did this year when I saw a YouTuber promote this tree at Walmart. I haven't opened the box yet, but it looked SO good in the video and it was so cheap at $189 I thought it was worth a try.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/7-5-ft-Pre-Lit-Milford-index-Pine-Artificial-Christmas-Tree-Clear-Micro-Dot-LED-Lights-by-Holiday-Time/1235016105?athbdg=L1100&from=/search

We have a pre-lit tree. We had to cut the lights off when they stopped working after 3-4 years. It wasn't a super cheap tree - more mid-range, but it was nice when all the lights worked. I do not wish to purchase a new tree every 3-4 years, so if we ever replace this one, it will be a light-free tree. We will end up putting lights on it anyway, so I am not willing to pay the extra money for pre-lit. 

I wish they still make trees like mine (I've been searching for a bigger one for years).  It's fiber optic so there are no strands of lights to go out.  There is just the projector at the base the shoots the color up the trunk (where the fiber optic strands are hidden inside) and then it spreads out to the strands in the branches. There are assorted color wheels so if I want to change the color/pattern I just put a different disk in the base.  Obviously I still have a risk on the base going out but other than changing the lightbulb once it has faithful ran for at least 15 years now.  This has been the best tree ever and  I so wish I could get another.

• Like 1

I hate getting rid of trees. So much plastic in the landfill! So I am on tree 2 for the 25 years of adulthood. First one was non-lit.

2nd was pre-lit and more expensive. Though I did purchase it after Christmas. 😁 The lights lasted a couple years. Then for awhile we had more and more lights out. About year 5 we sat and stripped it while watching Christmas movies. The most miserable Christmas job ever invented. Consequentally, no more pre-lit trees in this house. It  is a 12 foot tree too!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Our pre-lit tree is 17 years old and rockin along. It has white and colored lights with simple controls (either/or/combo/speed adjustment). We use a current tester and swap out tiny bulbs when one goes out.

I don't think I'll ever get one that isn't pre-lit when this tree bites the dust.

What have you done to make it last that long??

Our pre-lit is 13 or 14 years old. There is one spot at the bottom that quit working a couple years ago. That is now the "back" of the tree. Lol We just turn the dead light spot to the wall. Or throw one string of lights in that spot. It's still easier than stringing the whole tree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fraidycat said:

Our pre-lit is 13 or 14 years old. There is one spot at the bottom that quit working a couple years ago. That is now the "back" of the tree. Lol We just turn the dead light spot to the wall. Or throw one string of lights in that spot. It's still easier than stringing the whole tree.

What did you do to make yours last this long?

Just now, kfeusse said:

What have you done to make it last that long??

We store it in it's original box + another storage tote. We don't keep it in the attic; it's in the understair closet which is climate controlled. We don't treat it with kid gloves. Nothing more than that. Hubby bought it as a surprise for me at Target, I believe, so not even an expensive brand.

I am going to say, I don’t mind having dead lights and adding a string of lights.  That’s totally fine with me.  We have only replaced a tree because it was really old and not in usable shape anymore, I have not replaced over burned out lights.  

I just don’t notice the burned out lights.  Or, I haven’t noticed on our previous artificial tree.  It came with only white lights so I added some colored lights anyway.  

Now we have one with led lights, and I don’t notice them when the lights are not turned on.  I think I would be fine with it.  

6 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

That's what we've done. Prelit from Balsam Hill a few years ago. So far no issues! In the past, we've had prelit trees where some lights went out after a while, and we just put more lights on top for a few years.

7 hours ago, Melanie32 said:

Yes! At least you won’t have to put lights on for a few years until they quit working!

6 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I’ve bought several pre lit trees and the lights only last a season or two.  I am usually buying relatively inexpensive trees so maybe pricey ones are better.  

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

The lights on our pre-lit tree lasted 3 years. We have a pre-lit tree that actually has a full set of lights on it now. I want to replace it and when we do I won't bother with pre-lit. I don't like putting lights on but ended up having to do so anyway. 

I had given away the 4ft Christmas tree we had since we didn’t have space but don’t you all just replace the blown bulbs because that was what we did.

e.g. 

https://www.balsamhill.com/p/replacement-christmas-light-bulb-kit

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/holiday/christmas-lights/9817610

• Thanks 1

@kfeusse someone is going to have the proper name for this, but as far as I know, trees for at least the last 20 years have been wired with what I'll call "stay lit" circuits. The strings of lights all have a double wire, so that if a single bulb burns out and doesn't complete the series circuit, the rest of the string of lights still stays lit. On our tree, the only way the whole string goes out is if a wire is broken or if a bulb is missing. We routinely plug in and out a few motorized ornaments, and if we forget to put a spare bulb back in that socket as we are de-decorating, the whole section of the tree will stay "off" until we find the empty sockets and plug a bulb in. 

The days of my childhood, having the whole strings of light off due to one burned out bulb -- a nightmare to find which one was burned out, are gone.

• Like 1

We have a prelit tree and the convenience is admittedly nice.  Since it didn't cost any more than a non-lit tree, dh sold me on the idea a few years ago, because it's an added feature and if the lights stop working then we can always string our own, so nothing lost there. 

I like it.  I like getting that part out of the way quickly so that my family can move on to ornaments and the more fun part.  But it's not a deal breaker to not have it lit, so I'm not adamant that our next tree needs to be the same.

I will say our pre-lit tree's lights lasted much longer than a few years.  And we used to keep the tree up all year long.  There was an option for it to rotate as well as light up.  It was nice to be able to enjoy that whenever we were feeling a bit blue during short winter days.

When one strand of lights went out, we were able to un-clip and move the remaining lights so it still looked balanced.

We still prefer a real tree when we can get one.  But that wasn't the question.  😛

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I had given away the 4ft Christmas tree we had since we didn’t have space but don’t you all just replace the blown bulbs because that was what we did.

e.g. 

https://www.balsamhill.com/p/replacement-christmas-light-bulb-kit

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/holiday/christmas-lights/9817610

We tried. It didn't work. We bought the specific bulbs they recommended but nope. Still out. We gave up and just put new strings of lights on without removing the ones it came with. You don't notice it unless you get close up and look.

• Sad 1