Menu

Let's argue about something

MercyA

2 hours ago, SKL said:

99% of 80s movies and music sucked.

The Breakfast Club was a totally crappy movie and I’m astonished anyone actually likes it. Same with Goonies. Blech.

53 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Ooooooo that reminds me. 

Pride & Prejudice

1995 vs 2005

1995 is best. Fight me. 

(Pushing up sleeves and making a fist) You are soooo wrong. The characters in the 1995 version were caricatures. The ones in the 2005 version acted like real people. And that scene where they’re dancing and everyone else disappears from the room is amazing! And when he touches her hand to help her into the carriage and you can feel the electricity. Swoon!

Babylon 5 > Firefly > Star Trek > Star Wars

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SKL said:

Gone With the Wind.

Them’s fightin’ words!!!

I loved the movie, but the BOOK! Have you even read the book??! (just trying to get into the spirit of the thread 😉) What do you know about Ellen from the movie? Practically nothing! But the book gives you sooo much. And what about the scene in the book where all Scarlett wants is to go home and fall into her mother’s arms because mother would know what to do and what a wonderful relief to have mother spoil her once again. And then…. 😭

I just didn’t get the same amount of emotion from the movie. Oh no. Sorry. The book is better. You’ll need a better example for a movie that is better than the book!

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 3

All the space fiction shows suck. All of them. This is not negotiable. Now that said, some are rather luckily entertaining. I mean, if one can get past the stupid, the way William Shatner delivers his lines is really kind of funny.

Also, cheesecake should only ever have chocolate on it. Fruit is wrong, all kinds of wrong.

The Breakfast Club was all kinds of awful.because frankly, it was too much like a lot of people in high school. 

We should probably discuss St. Elmo's Fire. However, I am pretty sure that is going to wind us right back to the kind of mess ala Ham/Wise-Bauer kerfuffle in which many of us agreed to join Audrey as a witch and then never got our beginner witch kits and complimentary goat, an oversight I have never quite gotten over. 😁 Susan is probably not prepared to handle it, and unless Charlie is around to mod it, we might end up with our current mods curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs, and rocking back and forth while chanting "Where are the kilt pics? Where are the kilt pics?" I hate to do it to them. So maybe we just privately co template St. Elmo's Fire, but nobody else brings it up. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Also, the best rock bands forever and in perpetuity unto the ends of the universe are Queen

I saw them on Sunday night! Most.Epic.show ever. We even flew DS home so he could go! 

If you get the chance to see them on this tour, **do it**! 👑

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

All the space fiction shows suck. All of them. This is not negotiable. Now that said, some are rather luckily entertaining. I mean, if one can get past the stupid, the way William Shatner delivers his lines is really kind of funny.

Also, cheesecake should only ever have chocolate on it. Fruit is wrong, all kinds of wrong.

The Breakfast Club was all kinds of awful.because frankly, it was too much like a lot of people in high school. 

We should probably discuss St. Elmo's Fire. However, I am pretty sure that is going to wind us right back to the kind of mess ala Ham/Wise-Bauer kerfuffle in which many of us agreed to join Audrey as a witch and then never got our beginner witch kits and complimentary goat, an oversight I have never quite gotten over. 😁 Susan is probably not prepared to handle it, and unless Charlie is around to mod it, we might end up with our current mods curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs, and rocking back and forth while chanting "Where are the kilt pics? Where are the kilt pics?" I hate to do it to them. So maybe we just privately co template St. Elmo's Fire, but nobody else brings it up. 😇

I miss the days when all it took to quell an unruly thread was a smattering of kilts and a cupcake or two. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

But The Hobbit the book is much better than the movie.  I loved the LOTR movies, but holy cow, again, maybe I was too old when I read them for the first time (late 30s?) but they were so godawful boring.  I mean mad props to Tolkein for world building and for pioneering fantasy, but really.....they just weren't that engaging.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hate facial hair. I really don't care about it on anyone but dh. I find it unattractive and I do not like kissing someone when they have facial hair. Dh has always enjoyed our intimacy frequency more than any desire to see how he looks with facial hair.

Oh I hate facial hair too. My siblings were adults when I came along when I was 2 or 3 my sister’s husband grew a mustache. We were always big buddies until that point and then I was terrified of him. He shaved it off. 😂 My dad was always clean shaven. So ever since always, I’ve hated facial hair. Dh grows a full beard starting every year around this time and doesn’t shave until the warm weather. I hate it. He always asks do I like his beard and I always say no. 

3 hours ago, Melanie32 said:

Cilantro tastes amazing!

I can’t eat cilantro. Way back in my days of early cooking, I was making some sort of chicken tacos with cilantro. The recipe amount was for fresh cilantro and I was using dried in a jar. It was an ungodly amount of dried cilantro and it was DISGUSTING. Can’t get past it.

6 minutes ago, MercyA said:

80's music haters, I have two characters for you:

U2

But also!

The Police, Bruce Springsteen, Pat Benatar, Don Henley, Survivor, Journey / Steve Perry, Genesis / Phil Collins, Cyndi Lauper, Simple Minds, Michael Jackson, Tracy Chapman, Prince.

And let us not forget Information Society, who used Star Trek quotes extensively in their music ("Pure Energy!"). 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Garga said:

The Breakfast Club was a totally crappy movie and I’m astonished anyone actually likes it. Same with Goonies. Blech.

(Pushing up sleeves and making a fist) You are soooo wrong. The characters in the 1995 version were caricatures. The ones in the 2005 version acted like real people. And that scene where they’re dancing and everyone else disappears from the room is amazing! And when he touches her hand to help her into the carriage and you can feel the electricity. Swoon!

Babylon 5 > Firefly > Star Trek > Star Wars

I will concede that the cinematography is better in the 2005 version. But that’s where I draw the line 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Them’s fightin’ words!!!

I loved the movie, but the BOOK! Have you even read the book??! (just trying to get into the spirit of the thread 😉) What do you know about Ellen from the movie? Practically nothing! But the book gives you sooo much. And what about the scene in the book where all Scarlett wants is to go home and fall into her mother’s arms because mother would know what to do and what a wonderful relief to have mother spoil her once again. And then…. 😭

I just didn’t get the same amount of emotion from the movie. Oh no. Sorry. The book is better. You’ll need a better example for a movie that is better than the book!

I agree with you. so much more to Scarlett than what the movie portrays.

Also.....

I can't stand Jane Austen. No movies. No books. Just..ugh.

2 hours ago, Melanie32 said:

I actually prefer the Lord of the Rings movies to the books! I love the books but they can be a bit of a slog too. 
It’s Christmas tradition to start the extended movie series every Christmas Day at my house. I’ve only gotten through the books once.

I definitely agree.  (I have to admit that I have only read The Fellowship of the Ring.  Too many details - I needed a character chart and a map to keep it all straight.)  I need to implement this tradition.  We just got back from New Zealand and saw many of the filming sites (with a personal tour by our own @lewelma)  

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

Vanilla over chocolate.  I know I am in the minority on this.  I do love chocolate too though.

When it comes to ice cream, for sure!!  Like totally!  (Too much '80s for ya?)  When it comes to candy - chocolate for the win.

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Also, cheesecake should only ever have chocolate on it. Fruit is wrong, all kinds of wrong.T

Gasp ... raspberry sauce?!?!  surely you jest!

I still get grossed out by the cigarette ashes into the wok scene (and what was going on behind in the other room.)  

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

But The Hobbit the book is much better than the movie.  

This seriously can't be an argument, can it?  Fond memories of listening to the Hobbit on audio while on a road-trip vacation.

49 minutes ago, MercyA said:

But also!

The Police, Bruce Springsteen, Pat Benatar, Don Henley, Survivor, Journey / Steve Perry, Genesis / Phil Collins, Cyndi Lauper, Simple Minds, Michael Jackson, Tracy Chapman, Prince.

And let us not forget Information Society, who used Star Trek quotes extensively in their music ("Pure Energy!"). 🙂 

When I need a pick-me-up on the way to work, I tell Spotify to play me some 80s music!  I'll have to check out this Information Society!

24 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

But Say Anything is in the 1% 

One of the few 80s movies that has aged well.  Dh seemed to love every dumb John Cusack movie, but this one is one I could actually stand.

Too tired to go back and quote everyone else, but I agree on the handlebar mustache.  I've never been a fan of facial hair.  But ds looked like 12 when he went away to college so he grew what he could.  Now he has the grad student look - long hair complete with man bun, facial hair, and a good supply of flannel shirts.  Dh grew a beard during the pandemic and he changed jobs during that time.  I have to say it grew on me.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cintinative said:

I have one: cake versus pie. Which is better?

OR 

Is there a movie that is actually better than the book?

Cake, absolutely hands down no question. The only pie I like is pumpkin with the crust removed (so basically pumpkin custard) and chocolate cream or toll house. I would rather have plan fruit or fruit with vanilla ice cream than any pie made with fruit. For me, making fruit into pie ruins it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

What are you talking about?   The 80s ROCKED!

[Pic not allowed.]

Except the music. I came of age in the 80s and did not like most of the music. The summer before college I had a job where my coworkers played the local popular music station all day and I thought I was going to lose my mind. I was born in the wrong decade because I love love love 60s and 70s music, pop, rock, folk, you name it.

Tattoos are amazing I love them and my whole body except.my face will probably be covered by the time I die. They are for me.

Pie vs cake? Why choose, just have piecaken!!

Picture perfect the movie is way better than the book.

Edited by rebcoola

42 minutes ago, ikslo said:

The type of pie is moot. The crust is the most important part! You can’t just pop a can or open a box. Homemade is the only acceptable base for any pie. 

No, no, no, the crust is merely a vehicle to deliver the filling.

I'd happily eat cherry pie filling out of the can if left to my own devices. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

This should stir things up, lol:
I love all things pumpkin spice except pumpkin pie!

Most "pumpkin spice" stuff is really just "spice," which is how I like it. And I do like pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins, but the texture of pumpkin pie is just really gross to me. 

Tira misu or Tres leches > crumble > cake > pie > cheesecake

When I lived in Los Angeles I saw a lot of old people on the beach with really old, really blurry tattoos on skin that looked like crepe paper and that put me off getting tattoos. I do have a tiny 1/2" lightning bolt on my pinky that was done by an art history professor at UCLA who talked a bunch of grad students into letting him practice on us, lol. 

The 3 original Star Wars movies > Star Trek > the rest of the Star Wars

Edited by Corraleno
missing word
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Frances said:

Cake, absolutely hands down no question. The only pie I like is pumpkin with the crust removed (so basically pumpkin custard) and chocolate cream or toll house. I would rather have plan fruit or fruit with vanilla ice cream than any pie made with fruit. For me, making fruit into pie ruins it.

I will do one up from that, I only like pies with graham cracker crusts......key lime, chocolate mouse, etc.....otherwise, cake or cookies for me.

Literally the ONLY pie with actual crust I liked was my grandmother's homemade apple pie.   

I do tolerate pumpkin muffins and bread but it isn't my favorite.

10 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, I will fight you over these! Cannot stand chocolate with cheesecake and love fruit with just about anything. 

And so many happy hours of my life have been lived in the Star Trek and Star Wars universes. Absolute genius is behind both.

Set a time and place and we will duke it out in hand-to-hand combat. As refreshments, homemade cupcakes will be served by men in kilts. The entire Hive is of course invited, the entrance ticket will be a 1-5 page essay on the relative merits of Saxon vs. Singapore math.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Saxon>Singapore

Tira Misu has a gross, spongy texture like angel food cake. How can you eat that, @Corraleno?

57 minutes ago, maize said:

Set a time and place and we will duke it out in hand-to-hand combat

Which one of you shall be called “Jeff” and which “Elon”? Faith vs. Maize. Should be worth the trouble of the essay writing! 🍿🍿

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I can’t eat cilantro. Way back in my days of early cooking, I was making some sort of chicken tacos with cilantro. The recipe amount was for fresh cilantro and I was using dried in a jar. It was an ungodly amount of dried cilantro and it was DISGUSTING. Can’t get past it.

You should have asked Your mom how much to use! I hear she is a great cook. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5