Menu

Doctors are confusing sometimes

10 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m so glad they’ll be doing the prednisone for a month.   I can’t wait to hear that you walked all the way across the house to the bathroom!!!  I think we’ll all celebrate!

Yes!  Celebration around the world! ❤️ 

• Like 7

My friend with sarcoidosis has been on prednisone (low dose) for YEARS, with way, way less severe symptoms than Melissa. 

Maybe I just don't get the Australian medical system, but it seems like everything has taken forever up to this point. I haven't been in an American hospital, either, but surely it wouldn't take over a month to figure it out here?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

I haven't been in an American hospital, either, but surely it wouldn't take over a month to figure it out here?

I would be very surprised if it took longer than a few days. A week max. Our system certainly has its faults, but lack of speed isn't usually one of them, especially when it's a serious problem. Years ago when my friend was diagnosed she wasn't sick enough to be hospitalized, but she had all the necessary testing on an outpatient basis and was diagnosed in about a week. (ETA: I feel the need to add the caveat that my statement is for people who have good insurance.)

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

My friend with sarcoidosis has been on prednisone (low dose) for YEARS, with way, way less severe symptoms than Melissa. 

Maybe I just don't get the Australian medical system, but it seems like everything has taken forever up to this point. I haven't been in an American hospital, either, but surely it wouldn't take over a month to figure it out here?

Probably not, but we also have the most expensive medical system in the world, that bankrupts many. We probably would have put her in the cardiac ICU and given the prednisone and watched vitals for signs of infection. A less aggressive approach might be more prudent. 

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

I am on a PPO plan. The turnaround time depends on which provider I see. I switched obgyn because the level of care was so bad. I switch oncologist too for similar reasons. I do end up paying more because the ones I switch to cost more, but that just mean I hit my annual out of pocket maximum faster. 

2 hours ago, Kanin said:

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I would be very surprised if it took longer than a few days. A week max. Our system certainly has its faults, but lack of speed isn't usually one of them, especially when it's a serious problem. Years ago when my friend was diagnosed she wasn't sick enough to be hospitalized, but she had all the necessary testing on an outpatient basis and was diagnosed in about a week. (ETA: I feel the need to add the caveat that my statement is for people who have good insurance.)

I agree.

I think it's horrible that it has taken so long for Melissa to get a diagnosis, and it seems like they still don't really have much of a long term treatment plan set up for her.

And don't even get me started on sending her home after only a few days of rehab, when she is clearly in no shape to be released from the hospital! It is maddening! And this is supposedly the specialty hospital, right? 

Ugh.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Na. The American system is just as effed. My father had w collapsed lung for three months that no one would fix because they had to argue about billing, in network, out of network, blah blah blah. It took another three months to get the cancer diagnosis though it was evident on every single scan and x ray. It took lawyers and threatening to sue in order to get anyone to get off their ass and treat him, and it cost us tens of thousands of dollars because he didn't have it, and they were only too happy to let him die while they argued.

So no. This could have EASILY happened here too. I know people who took YEARS to get simple diagnoses. Some died waiting, and it was autopsy that found the problem was easy to discover, and reliably treatable.

I don't believe for an instant that our system is better for anything except we do tend to have absolutely fantastic trauma care, really tippy top.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

If I was in your country I would have died of heart failure last week cause there is no way I woukd have afforded insurance and I would have never gone to hospital in the first place 

I am too ill to fight you all. 

We’re all thankful that you’ve got a medical team and medication that is helping restore your health. I think we’re something like a big, extended, loving family and we’re fussing over your treatment b/c we want you to have the very best. We’re sorry if our fussing was too much. Hugs! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

We’re all thankful that you’ve got a medical team and medication that is helping restore your health. I think we’re something like a big, extended, loving family and we’re fussing over your treatment b/c we want you to have the very best. We’re sorry if our fussing was too much. Hugs! 

Yes, to all of this.  @Melissa in Australia we appreciate your updates and are all just so worried about you and want the best for you, but we don't want to cause you any additional stress either.  Sending hugs.  ❤️  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

If I was in your country I would have died of heart failure last week cause there is no way I woukd have afforded insurance and I would have never gone to hospital in the first place 

Ignore us, Melissa. We love you and are just being fussy, mother hens who want to kick ass and take names because we want you better so much faster. Think of us as your dotty Aunt Grizelda, and feel free to roll your eyes.

I am holding out a great and mighty hope that you feel a lot better soon, and that the treatment plan works.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

If you lived here, you would probably have had insurance, but there's no guarantee that you would have better doctors, so let's all just assume that you're destined to make a full recovery, and you're in the exact place you need to be right now to do that. 

Sending lots of hugs, and apologies if I upset you! 😞 

• Like 7

A small update

Have started a low dose of steroids, to counter some of the negative side effects I also need to take a stomach protector tablet, a special type of antibiotic to counter the immune reducing of steroid a antihistamine for the itching, and have 4 times a day blood sugar monitoring. They have also prescribed a sleeping pill but I chose not to take it. 

So far 2 days of steroid with no noticeable change in condition, no increase in energy etc. But I hope it is protecting my heart. 

The little magic heart pill  I really rely on,  Ivabradine.  It was delayed by a few hours today  because hospital pharmacy ran out and boy do I go downhill fast. They ended up sending a student nurse to different wards to borrow some 

• Like 48

45 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The little magic heart pill  I really rely on,  Ivabradine.  It was delayed by a few hours today  because hospital pharmacy ran out and boy do I go downhill fast. They ended up sending a student nurse to different wards to borrow some 

My daughter takes Ivabradine and it seems the pharmacy has to special order it every month. It takes forever to be delivered. She's a mess without it. I hope they're able to get a good supply of it for you.

• Like 1

My usual Saturday check-in.  (It's the start of the semester in my area, and work has been a zoo. I'm putting in a lot of overtime, but it's beginning to settle down.)

Melissa, you are frequently on my mind and definitely (along with your family) in my prayers.

Medical red tape is so ridiculously frustrating...praying for all the puzzle pieces to come together for your care as you plan for the next step.

• Like 2

I'm so glad it's a more pleasant and accessible place for you to be!

I'm hopeful that these more-local doctors and nurses are still working closely with your care team that successfully diagnosed and planned your treatment. I'd hate to see a step-down in care competency as you make this transition.

If you have it, make sure you keep the contact info for your former care team. If you feel like anything that happens from now on doesn't line up with what you were told to expect -- don't be shy to have someone make contact for you. Doctors are usually quite invested in making sure their hard work doesn't go to waste if someone strays from the plan, even after they have officially handed a patient off.

• Like 11