Menu

Doctors are confusing sometimes

Inflamed ankles can be a sign of heart or kidney problems that lead to lungs collapsing because of built up fluid.  He was looking for life threatening causes first. This literally happened to my uncle a few days ago and he was released from hospital today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am not hospital level lousy.  But in bed type lousy.

I actually put it all down to stress from the medical emergancy of twin 1. As the inflamed ankles started then. But the doctor said that I can not have a fever from stress

It's winter (pneumonia) season there. And fever from stress is rare enough that it would already be documented in your medical history if that were the cause.  Hopefully it's walking pneumonia and you'll get prescribed the right antibiotics today.

6 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

But the doctor said that I can not have a fever from stress

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843908/#:~:text=Psychogenic fever is a stress,during situations of chronic stress.

“Psychogenic fever is a stress-related, psychosomatic disease especially seen in young women. Some patients develop extremely high core body temperature (Tc) (up to 41°C) when they are exposed to emotional events, whereas others show persistent low-grade high Tc (37–38°C) during situations of chronic stress. The mechanism for psychogenic fever is not yet fully understood. However, clinical case reports demonstrate that psychogenic fever is not attenuated by antipyretic drugs, but by psychotropic drugs that display anxiolytic and sedative properties, or by resolving patients' difficulties via natural means or psychotherapy.”

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

And fever from stress is rare enough that it would already be documented in your medical history if that were the cause.

I get fever from stress. It was never documented. My fever tends to be about 38.5 °C, 101.3 °F.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843908/#:~:text=Psychogenic fever is a stress,during situations of chronic stress.

“Psychogenic fever is a stress-related, psychosomatic disease especially seen in young women. Some patients develop extremely high core body temperature (Tc) (up to 41°C) when they are exposed to emotional events, whereas others show persistent low-grade high Tc (37–38°C) during situations of chronic stress. The mechanism for psychogenic fever is not yet fully understood. However, clinical case reports demonstrate that psychogenic fever is not attenuated by antipyretic drugs, but by psychotropic drugs that display anxiolytic and sedative properties, or by resolving patients' difficulties via natural means or psychotherapy.”

I get fever from stress. It was never documented. My fever tends to be about 38.5 °C, 101.3 °F.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen.  I've posted here before that it happens to one of my kids. But it's rare enough, and it's on the chart.

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry you aren’t feeling well Melissa. Medical stuff is so hard. There can be so much going on and we don’t always know the questions to ask or even remember to ask them when we do have them…often because we are stressed, in pain, or ill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, swelling ankles makes me think of my husband's dad and congestive heart failure.  Praying that isn't what it is. But that is why he sent you for x-ray. That said, you have an absolute valid point that he should be explaining why he is ordering what he is ordering.  Part of their job (that so many are bad at) is patient education.  My husband spends a lot of time with family and friends patiently explaining what their own docs should have explained to them.  It is very frustrating.  Praying that it is something that can be taken care of very easily!

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So you mean swollen as in inflammation, not as in fluid retention? If so, with both of them affected and a fever it could be some type of inflammatory autoimmune issue. My mind always goes to RA since it’s my own issue, but there are several AI things it probably could be. Low grade fevers are fairly common with some of them. Stress can be a trigger, and you had plenty of that. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Depending on what is meant by inflammation (hot/red or looks like cellulitis, or painful without redness, etc.), you might get a different workup here. It's really odd that the doctor did NOT check your ankles.

Other possible workups could involve bloodwork to look for infection, for instance.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what is going on at all but I am well and truly sick of it. My ankles were extremely painful like an 8. Swollen, some spidery red markings on both sides of feet and now the swelling has gone down bruising marks. Ankles are still tender to touch . My fever is 39o C. I feel absolutly supper lousy. Absolutly no energy at all.  No runny nose, no headache or anything that I would think would go with a fever

I just made a batch of cookies. I cannot believe it but I had to stop and rest up 2 times just in the mixing with a machine and the rolling out.  It is so rediculous. 

The Doctor did blood tests and the  chest xray is for tomorrow. My rural area only has xrays once a week. I really can't believe he didn't look at my ankles. 

• Sad 11

Thank you for your concern. I hope your week improves. 

My son is recovering well. Which we are so grateful for. 

I am still very ill. Still have a fever of 39. I am so weak it is rediculous. I now have to rest up in little breaks for the simplest task like having a shower or brushing my hair.  This will be the 12th day in a row of the fever. My ankles have gone down. 

• Sad 16

35 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am still very ill. Still have a fever of 39. I am so weak it is rediculous. I now have to rest up in little breaks for the simplest task like having a shower or brushing my hair.  This will be the 12th day in a row of the fever. My ankles have gone down. 

Did the x-rays show anything at all? That’s a long time to be so ill. 

45 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

What are your options for getting medical attention? This would be worth and emergency visit here, especially after being essentially blown off by a primary care provider.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Did the x-rays show anything at all? That’s a long time to be so ill. 

I agree though there were times my large chest X-rays look normal but my blood tests (eosinophils, platelets count) were all wonky.

OP,

Is there urgent care to go to? 12 days of fever and fatigue would mean escalation to a higher ranking doctor in my country of origin. I would had gone to the emergency department and they would escalate for me. I would want pneumonia confirmed or ruled out.

• Like 6

I would be concerned if at this point you haven’t had lab work to rule out kidney problems, signs of infection, etc. 

Australia doesn’t have much in the way of chikungunya or other vector borne disease like Lyme does it? That would be the next level of rule out tests before sending you on to rheumatology/immunology.

45 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I agree though there were times my large chest X-rays look normal but my blood tests (eosinophils, platelets count) were all wonky.

OP,

Is there urgent care to go to? 12 days of fever and fatigue would mean escalation to a higher ranking doctor in my country of origin. I would had gone to the emergency department and they would escalate for me. I would want pneumonia confirmed or ruled out.

Dh wanted to take me to emergancy today. But the local hospital doesn't have a doctor on weekends and I really can't face a 100 km drive to the next hospital and sit  in emergancy for hours. I just don't have the strength for it. I will go see the local Doctor tomorrow. 

• Sad 11

24 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Dh wanted to take me to emergancy today.

I’ll go tomorrow (Monday) to the emergency department at your local hospital. They could take X-rays there again if needed, do an echocardiogram if need to and lots of other testing there and have the reports out fast. 

23 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I think I would arrange things so that you can go to emergency on Monday because you really shouldn't be feeling like this for so long without a proper diagnosis.

It is Sunday in Australia so her tomorrow is Monday. I am suggesting she goes to the emergency on Monday instead of her doctor since emergency tends to have all the tests available under one roof. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I’ll go tomorrow (Monday) to the emergency department at your local hospital. They could take X-rays there again if needed, do an echocardiogram if need to and lots of other testing there and have the reports out fast. 

It is Sunday in Australia so her tomorrow is Monday. I am suggesting she goes to the emergency on Monday instead of her doctor since emergency tends to have all the tests available under one roof. 

I'm in Tokyo so I'm only 30 minutes to 1.5 hours different than her.  That's why I suggested Monday.  She (or her DH) has time to set up what's needed to get away to the nearest emergency room since the tend to take forever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'm in Tokyo so I'm only 30 minutes to 1.5 hours different than her.  That's why I suggested Monday.  She (or her DH) has time to set up what's needed to get away to the nearest emergency room since the tend to take forever. 

My experience with emergency room is that I can have my X-rays, blood work, etc. completed, go eat brunch at the hospital cafeteria, and the radiologist reports as well as most of the blood work results would be out for me to collect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I hope you are able to get all the care you need and start turning the corner.  I'm sorry it's gone undiagnosed and untreated. Uggh. I'm so glad you're little guy is doing well!

Keep us posted, or have your dh do so if you're not up to it!

• Thanks 1

Sorry for my slow responding

Still in urgent care

Need to go to bigger hospital for Ct chest scan today. Emergancy Dr suspects from my other tests sarcoid.

Aparently I will possably need to see an immunologist or someone like that

After the Ct scan I am to go home and continue round the clock panadol, fluids and bedrest  and see my regular GP on Thursday 

😢

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 16

If it is sarcoid, hope it is a mild case that is not permanent. 
Hope you are able to get lots of high quality rest when you reach home after your CT chest scan. The paracetamol with flu might work better than the generic paracetamol if you have some on hand.

image.thumb.jpeg.e6fb0fb54304b921cd40d92a6249d03a.jpeg

• Thanks 1