Menu

Beanies and Weenies?

Wheres Toto

Beanies and Weenies?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever heard of beanies and weenies?

• Yes, I've heard of that
    • Nope, never heard of that
    • Mandatory Other

Have you ever heard the term Beanies and Weenies for hotdogs and beans?

I just asked dh to pick me up some baked beans when he goes shopping tomorrow morning because I have turkey hotdogs and like them with beans.   I said I wanted "beanies and weenies".   And dd started hysterically laughing because she had never heard that before.  I didn't realize it would be that unusual.

Google had a bunch of recipes come up, as well an article about a brand called "Beenie Weenies" .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I associate beanies with TY beanies (soft toy) while my husband associate them with the beret like item. We know the slang meaning for weenies though its usually spelled slightly differently.

My husband loves baked beans but doesn’t like hot dogs. I love hot dogs but not baked beans. So we have not eat them together. We have seen people eat bratwurst and baked beans. 

• Like 1

I’ve heard many variations of that term for the food.

5 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Gosh, I haven't thought about beanies weenies (also no "and") in years. One of my favorite meals growing up but not a favorite of my own kiddos. Beanie weenies was my craving of choice when pregnant with oldest.

And is your oldest a boy? 😉

Sorry, couldn’t resist. My MIL invited herself to drive her tonight from another state without confirming it was okay, and she’s downstairs. I need a humorous diversion from the money we’re spending that we don’t have that will be going to a hotel tonight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. My MIL invited herself to drive her tonight from another state without confirming it was okay, and she’s downstairs. I need a humorous diversion from the money we’re spending that we don’t have that will be going to a hotel tonight.

Got a Greyhound station near you? "Here's your bus ticket, MIL!" 🚌

• Like 3

My mother referred to hot dogs (on a bun) with baked beans on the side as "weenies and beans." I've never heard the term "beanie weenies" or seen the canned product before this thread, and as a kid I never ate hot dogs cut up in beans like that. Hot dogs and baked beans were always separate items on a plate, usually with corn on the cob or coleslaw on the side.

• Like 2

We usually say beanie weenies, or beans and weens, but I've heard several variations. 

8 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Mandatory Other. I've never heard it used for hot dogs and beans but there were times in my lean college years when I survived on canned Beanie Weenies. That's the only way I heard it used.

It would have to be ramen these days; Beanie Weenies have priced themselves out of the lean college years market. 

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Beenee Weenees is a canned product where the hot dogs and beans are in the can.  I'm not sure they make it anymore.

They do, but it's frakking expensive for what it is. The can actually says Beanie Weenee, singular, which I've always considered weird. 

We make our own occasionally for a hot but very fast and easy meal, and eat it over rice. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, katilac said:

It would have to be ramen these days; Beanie Weenies have priced themselves out of the lean college years market. 

Wow! That's definitely not something I'd pay a high price for. My roommate and I ate them because they were cheap, not because they were were good. 

10 hours ago, kbutton said:

In the entirety of the 35 years of my son's life, did I ever put the humor of that together. OMG, that is just too funny and from now on I will be using it. LOL

• Like 1

I vaguely recall hearing “beanie weenies” once or twice, and not knowing exactly what it was. Is it hot dogs cut up and mixed into baked beans?  I’ve never eaten that.

We ate hot dogs in buns, baked beans on the side, with other sides.

We moved often, about once a year, so maybe I missed this one.

Thank you all for answering.   Sounds like beenie weenies, without the AND, is more common even when not talking about the branded product.    

I don't know that I've ever had the canned product but I like cutting up a hot dog (turkey dogs these days) into a bowl of beans.   I also will put beans on my hot dog in a bun, but the bowl is definitely an easier, less messy, way to eat them.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Wow! That's definitely not something I'd pay a high price for. My roommate and I ate them because they were cheap, not because they were were good. 

I actually like them, lol, although I haven't had them in years. 

High price is perhaps not fair - they're like $1.50 a can, but this little can about half the size of canned vegetables. One can would never have been enough for college me (or current me), and $3 isn't a cheap lunch in my book. 

I don't have to constantly have cheap lunches these days, but I'm personally offended by what they're charging for a small amount of beans and an even smaller amount of weens. For what I make for the four of us, it would be $12 for cans or $3.50 for separate beans and weans, lol.  

As the difference in effort is opening cans versus opening cans and cutting up hot dogs, I'd feel a little silly buying them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When my youngest was 5 or 6, he was so excited for us to go visit his great uncle at a campsite and insisted we have 'beanie-weinies'.  He was disgusted when he realized what it was.  

I ate it all the time as a kid, but referred to it as 'beans and weiners'; I guess I never fed it to my kids though  🙂

On 6/30/2023 at 3:12 PM, Pawz4me said:

Here we say beanie weenies, no "and." 

So I voted mandatory other.

We also just say beanie-weenies but I voted that I’d heard of “beanies and weenies” because I figured that’s what you were talking about, OP. 

Gosh I haven’t fixed those since my kids were teeny-weeny. 😂

I've heard of Beanie babies plush toys, and weiner dogs (dachshunds). There's also another slang use of 'weenie' I've heard of and would never use myself.

I personally couldn't even amagine saying "beanie weenies" without blushing. It just sounds really, really weird.  

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

I've heard of Beanie babies plush toys, and weiner dogs (dachshunds). There's also another slang use of 'weenie' I've heard of and would never use myself.

I personally couldn't even amagine saying "beanie weenies" without blushing. It just sounds really, really weird.  

When you grow up with it, you don't give a lot of thought to the words. It was just one of those favorite things my brother and I begged my mother for.

1 minute ago, stephanier.1765 said:

When you grow up with it, you don't give a lot of thought to the words. It was just one of those favorite things my brother and I begged my mother for.

Another tough word to try and say without blushing is 'seal' in French, which is spelled 'phoque' and is pronounced 'fock.' It's just too close to the English word and I know I'd mess it up. 😅

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2023 at 8:04 PM, wintermom said:

Another tough word to try and say without blushing is 'seal' in French, which is spelled 'phoque' and is pronounced 'fock.' It's just too close to the English word and I know I'd mess it up. 😅

I feel this way about “only” in Arabic. It’s faqat and it makes me nervous. 

On 7/2/2023 at 2:19 AM, katilac said:

I actually like them, lol, although I haven't had them in years. 

High price is perhaps not fair - they're like $1.50 a can, but this little can about half the size of canned vegetables. One can would never have been enough for college me (or current me), and $3 isn't a cheap lunch in my book. 

I don't have to constantly have cheap lunches these days, but I'm personally offended by what they're charging for a small amount of beans and an even smaller amount of weens. For what I make for the four of us, it would be $12 for cans or $3.50 for separate beans and weans, lol.  

As the difference in effort is opening cans versus opening cans and cutting up hot dogs, I'd feel a little silly buying them. 

You have the exact energy of this young woman who makes a copycat of Rao’s sauce. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, Wheres Toto said:

Google had a bunch of recipes come up, as well an article about a brand called "Beenie Weenies" .

Am I the only one who has the entire jingle from the Beanee Wenee commercial in my head now? Why does my brain hang onto these things??

• Haha 1