Menu

keep praying for my mom - update post transplant

ktgrok

She's had a set back and they moved her back into the ICU today. She has a partial lung collapse, not sure why. They have her on Bipap and may need to put her back on a ventilator to try to safely inflate and keep lung inflated as things heal. Waiting on bacterial and fungal culture results from a bronchoscopy yesterday, viral pcr screening was negative for everything. CT results say it looks like infection or aspiration. 

Mom is scared, and I know she doesn't want to go back on the ventilator. But she feels a bit vindicated as for days she's been saying soemthing wasn't right, and they kept telling her to walk more, and she was saying she couldn't. Well, she got to look doctor in the face and say, "I TOLD YOU soemthing was wrong!", lol. I think that really did help her mental state - she's been very emotional and anxious and I'm sure was wondering if she was going crazy thinking she couldn't breathe right. 

But yeah, prayers for her and my family - we are all super stressed out. And my DH's aunt and uncle, who I love dearly from afar even though I've only met them once, are visiting tomorrow. Thank the lord they decided we should meet outside, at a park, so I don't have to be stressed about cleaning my house for a visit! This is the aunt that has stage 4 cancer - so that is a whole OTHER bundle of stress and worry. 

Thank you all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 55

They are now planning to go back in and do an exploratory surgery tomorrow. Dad made it out to not be hugely scary, but I have access to her medical notes and the doctor said earlier today that exploratory surgery risks were "quite high" and would discuss with "CTS", whoever that is. 

I'm supposed to meet up with the aunt and uncle tomorrow. My daughter is going on a confirmation retreat on Friday, her second ever time away from home. She needs snacks bought, things packed, etc. And yet this is happening and maybe I need to just be heading up there to my mom's side. 

Oh, and we've all been sick. It has been over a week since I first got sick, so maybe I'm not contagious now? I think I'm back to normal oak pollen levels of congestion. First kid got it over two weeks ago. DH is still congested. So yeah, that's another whole factor. 

UGH UGH UGH. 

• Sad 19

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

They are now planning to go back in and do an exploratory surgery tomorrow. Dad made it out to not be hugely scary, but I have access to her medical notes and the doctor said earlier today that exploratory surgery risks were "quite high" and would discuss with "CTS", whoever that is.

CTS stands for cardio thoracic surgery.

I'm keeping her in my thoughts.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Katie. Since you are not completely well, I think it's not wise for you to cancel other things and go there, although I understand your desire to do that. Is there a way for your dad to Facetime you, so that you can talk to your mom in the morning, before the surgery?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and we've all been sick. It has been over a week since I first got sick, so maybe I'm not contagious now? I think I'm back to normal oak pollen levels of congestion. First kid got it over two weeks ago. DH is still congested. So yeah, that's another whole factor. 

A week after illness...I don't want to put your mom in additional danger, but it's likely that she's facing nurses and doctors who are going back to work in an N95 five days after Covid diagnosis. Some hospitals have lifted masking (leaving it recommended). 

I am sorry about the whole situation and will pray. 

1 hour ago, eagleynne said:

CTS stands for cardio thoracic surgery.

I'm keeping her in my thoughts.

Thank you!!! I've managed most of the intials and acronyms but couldn't figure that one out. So the doctor didn't think it was a great option, but surgeon decided it was okay, it sounds like. 

Edited by ktgrok

Ok, so sister is likely heading up there. At least someone would be there for my dad if worst happens. I'm going to try to get everything sorted for my daughter for her trip, and pack a bag, and be ready to go if need be sometime tomorrow

• Like 10

Talked to sister. She's going to start driving - will either go partway and get a hotel (likely) or drive all the way if she is too wired to sleep. Possible. I ordered snacks, travel sized shampoo, etc for DD13 to pack to take on her confirmation trip and will make sure she has everything she needs, so DH or DS23 can drop her off for that. 

Oh, and I now have stress hives, and one of the dogs drank out of an unflushed toilet and then puked up urine in the track of the sliding glass door. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 13

So...now Dad says that nurse said that surgery is "up in the air" and they don't know if they are doing it or not. So?? Did Dad misunderstand earlier? Did nurse misunderstand? Did things change so now now sure of plan? 

I have notes in her chart of when someone pushed the gurney from her regular room to the ICU, signed off as proof that she was moved, but there are no notes regarding potential surgery. 

• Confused 2

Oh, but in sort of good news (and forgive me if I already said this), they put in a PICC line, so that will limit how many times she needs to be stuck for all these tests. And they put her on fentanyl for pain and she apparantly likes it, lol. This whole last week she's been barely talking, in a lot of pain, and lethargic, and Dad said with a half dose of fentanyl she won't shut up 🙂 

Oh, and the doctor that told her to "just keep walking" she now calls "Dr. Walk Walk". I am unsure if she calls him this to his face - but it's likely 🙂

(in Dr. Walk Walk's defense, it is a known thing that walking will cause breathlessness, which will cause them to not want to walk, so NORMALLY that is the right thing to tell the patient...but mom is WAY tougher than the normal patient so if she says she can't walk, she can't walk)

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, but in sort of good news (and forgive me if I already said this), they put in a PICC line, so that will limit how many times she needs to be stuck for all these tests. And they put her on fentanyl for pain and she apparantly likes it, lol. This whole last week she's been barely talking, in a lot of pain, and lethargic, and Dad said with a half dose of fentanyl she won't shut up 🙂 

Oh, and the doctor that told her to "just keep walking" she now calls "Dr. Walk Walk". I am unsure if she calls him this to his face - but it's likely 🙂

(in Dr. Walk Walk's defense, it is a known thing that walking will cause breathlessness, which will cause them to not want to walk, so NORMALLY that is the right thing to tell the patient...but mom is WAY tougher than the normal patient so if she says she can't walk, she can't walk)

After my colonoscopy, I was terrified I had called the GI Dr, Dr. Big Chin. Thankfully, DH let me know that I had managed to keep my inside thoughts inside my head! 😂

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

After my colonoscopy, I was terrified I had called the GI Dr, Dr. Big Chin. Thankfully, DH let me know that I had managed to keep my inside thoughts inside my head! 😂

I have a vivid memory of telling the anesthesiologist who put my epidural in after 40 plus hours of unmedicated labor, that I loved him and wanted to marry him. Mind you, I was already married, lol. 

And when I had my wisdom teeth out they gave me laughing gas before the IV sedation, and I liked it so much I told him I was surprised people didn't purposely not brush their teeth just to get more gas. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Haha 8

Sister is leaving now. Mom had her best night regarding getting actual sleep. But her most recent CBC shows even lower Hemoglobin and Hematrocrit, which is concerning. They did do a type and cross yesterday as prep for surgery I'm assuming. Electrolytes are also still wonky - they've been dealing with that for a bit now, with low sodium and calcium and such. 

• Sad 5

Dad just messaged, anesthesia just came. They are going to take her to surgery in about 30 minutes. Y'all, I'm terrified. I keep crying. And yet I need to order subs for a picnic and go meet an aunt and I may be losing my mom. I was gong to face time her before she goes to surgery but I know I'll cry and that won't help her at all. My sister and I had Dad tell her we love her and give her a kiss from each of us. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 16

If you are someone who prays please join me in this prayer from the Book of Common Prayer- mom was raised Episcopal. 
Heavenly Father, giver of life and health: Comfort and relieve your sick servant, Kathleen, and give your power of healing to
those who minister to her needs, that she may be strengthened in her weakness and have confidence in your loving care; through
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

oddly, most of today I’ve been unable to string words together but find myself singing this little light of mine in my head. I guess in stress we revert to our earliest version of faith. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 24

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If you are someone who prays please join me in this prayer from the Book of Common Prayer- mom was raised Episcopal. 
Heavenly Father, giver of life and health: Comfort and relieve your sick servant, Kathleen, and give your power of healing to
those who minister to her needs, that she may be strengthened in her weakness and have confidence in your loving care; through

oddly, most of today I’ve been unable to string words together but find myself singing this little light of mine in my head. I guess in stress we revert to our earliest version of faith. 

Joining you in this prayer, Katie 🙏 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

That is a lovely and appropriate prayer. I'm joining in as well. Hugs.

• Like 1