Menu

If we moved to Florida...

KateBradley

...where would you recommend we live?

Background: I'm new to posting here, hi!  I've got sons aged 12, 10, and 8.  We've lived overseas since before they were born, and currently homeschool in a somewhat classical style.  Kids are thriving academically but enrichment and social options are pretty limited, plus we'd like to be closer to family in the US.  Hubs has a pretty portable job, and we're all US citizens; we're looking at Florida because of weather, taxes, and the hope of finding like-minded neighbors.  These are our top considerations - do you live in a community that you think might be a good fit for us?

• we're Catholic - a vibrant parish would be wonderful; 
  • we're fairly conservative - but happy to just not talk politics if possible;
  • we're interested in a homeschooling community that offers lots of extracurriculars other than sports;
  • boys are currently interested in Dungeons and Dragons, robotics, history, fencing, piano;
  • we're considering sending kids to a brick-and-mortar high school, if there was a really excellent one available, especially a rigorous Catholic or classical option;
  • boys are all gifted, two highly, so acceleration/dual enrollment/enrichment options would be great;
  • welcoming community where you don't have to have lived there for 4 generations to make friends;
  • we're well enough off but not at all social climbers - I'd like to avoid a social scene where kids worry about their brand of sneakers and moms worry about their brand of purses;
  • kind of prefer suburbs over city or rural - a walkable neighborhood with sidewalks or cart paths would be ideal;
  • we've lived in hurricane zones before, and know about bugs and humidity, so no concerns there;
  • being within an hour of a beach would be a plus.

Keeping this a bit vague as we're not ready to announce a move, just starting to look into options.  There was an older thread that was super helpful, and I'd love to hear some contemporary opinions.  Thanks for any advice!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Florida's political climate is not one that I would feel comfortable raising children in.

100% agree, and I've lived here for over 20 years.

If I were moving now, Florida would not be on my list of possibilities.

If it weren't for the fact that my husband's job is here and we bought a house a couple of years ago, I'd be looking for move away.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2

I also avoided moving home recently because of the political climate. If you insist, I would look at larger cities and towns South of Ocala. Gainesville is probably too liberal. The rest of North Florida is largely of a Southern/Bible Belt flavor. People are not as likely to be very welcoming to Catholics there. Or they might be welcoming but constantly telling your kids they need to have a born again experience or they’re going to hell. There aren’t as many people from Florida in the South part of the State if you avoid rural areas, and you’re much more likely to find what you’re looking for. 

It’s probably been 15 years but I knew someone who liked a program at USF for her gifted son. Idk if they’re even still doing it. 

Honestly I’d probably look into every Catholic or Classical High School in South Florida and refine from there. 

• Like 1

Look into the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area. You have Bishop Snyder and Bishop Kenny high schools, both are excellent. Free dual enrollment for public/private and homeschoolers, with books included. We are a mixed Southern Baptist and Catholic family who attend each others services, with no one ever being told they were going to hell for being Catholic. Large homeschooling community, look on Facebook for groups. 

Edited by CinV
  • Like 5

I don't live in FL, but among your other factors, I would take into serious consideration the cost of home insurance.  I have no idea really what the rates are like except where my family lives. They haven't even had a true hurricane in more than 10 years and their home insurance is over $3K. I can imagine if they lived closer to the coast it would be far, far worse. 

• Like 1

My sister loves living in Florida so much that when they moved to Georgia for her husband‘s job last year they moved back after four months.  She lives in the Tampa suburbs, her kids were in a charter school but I think they are in PS now as she also works there.  She loves Florida and their community and will never leave now. Her kids are active in every activity imaginable and they never seem to lack for things to do.  I can give you more specifics of the area they live in over DM if you want.

As far as housing prices, they seem exorbitant to me, but I live someplace where no one wants to live and so our housing prices are low.  Also my sister is willing to devote a larger percentage of their budget to housing than I am, and they prefer the large 5000 square feet homes in a cul-de-sac so that all might skew my opinion of the housing prices. They may be less in other parts of the state.

I would move there as well if I wasn’t married, but my husband is tied to this area and hates heat, so I’m stuck.  I console myself by flying down five or six times a year to see my niece and nephews.

• Like 5

If there’s a chance that you might consider public schools or a state university, take into consideration the fact that education is very highly politicized there at this point in time. Change is happening quickly. The changes being made and being promoted will reverberate through the state culture for decades. I suggest a google search for the governors’ name plus education to get up to date info as well as recent history. 

• Like 3

I've lived in a few parts of North FL and Central Florida. You'd probably like much of North Florida. There are several large Catholic churches that I am aware of, and the homeschool community is pretty large in and around Gainesville. Gainesville itself is more liberal/blue but the many surrounding areas are not. And not in the way it has been depicted by others. The hardest part about moving to Florida right now is that everyone is moving to Florida right now. 

• Like 3

Just FYI to the OP.  If you haven’t figured it out by now, this board is not fond of conservative Christianity.  If tgat is your bent, I would go to a different homeschool boards for advice.  This board leans heavily in one direction and doesn’t take kindly if you express your views.  You have been warned. 

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Just FYI to the OP.  If you haven’t figured it out by now, this board is not fond of conservative Christianity.  If tgat is your bent, I would go to a different homeschool boards for advice.  This board leans heavily in one direction and doesn’t take kindly if you express your views.  You have been warned. 

The OP is Catholic, which means the flavor of conservative Christianity is relevant for her, because some flavors are unwelcoming to Catholic Christians (most particularly in homeschool co-ops). 

It should be that discussion of the way politics has infiltrated a state’s education system has nothing to do with religion. A state not allowing teaching about racial issues has absolutely zero to do with Christianity. Or it certainly shouldn’t and is offensive when it does. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

41 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

On the contrary, I and many others here are conservative Christians. Christians who are conservative aren't monolithic in the way we apply scripture in our lives. Therefore, we have a variety of valid ideas about the benefits and drawbacks of different approaches to public education and a host of other issues. Christianity is not a synonym for any political party, either. OP, you are welcome here.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, TechWife said:

On the contrary, I and many others here are conservative Christians. Christians who are conservative aren't monolithic in the way we apply scripture in our lives. Therefore, we have a variety of valid ideas about the benefits and drawbacks of different approaches to public education and a host of other issues. Christianity is not a synonym for any political party, either. OP, you are welcome here.

I am as well, and most of my views are welcome, but some are not.  IE abortion. No it is NOT a synonym for a political party but if you have certain beliefs they will assume you are a horrible person and for a certain person.  Even though we can have certain  beliefs and be against certain people.   Anyway, on topics like abortion or vaccine..keep your mouth shut.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I am as well, and most of my views are welcome, but some are not.  IE abortion. No it is NOT a synonym for a political party but if you have certain beliefs they will assume you are a horrible person and for a certain person.  Even though we can have certain  beliefs and be against certain people.   Anyway, on topics like abortion or vaccine..keep your mouth shut.

The OP specifically said that she was happy to not bring up politics.  So why are you bringing it up? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

OP, you are welcome on the boards, and differing opinions are welcome on the boards. Other posters will not hesitate to disagree with you (it's a forum, after all). I do think you need the ability to stay detached if you choose to wade into controversial threads; you shouldn't posit a strong position and then get your feelings hurt when people posit a different position and point out what they regard as flaws in your argument. 

There are plenty of active posters who never go near those threads, lol, and there are always plenty of other discussions going on. And we are not supposed to discuss politics - there have been one or two notable exceptions over the years, but, for the most part, politics are supposed to say in the politics club. If someone brings politics into a thread, or is uncivil, you can report to the mods. 

55 minutes ago, KSera said:

The OP is Catholic, which means the flavor of conservative Christianity is relevant for her, because some flavors are unwelcoming to Catholic Christians (most particularly in homeschool co-ops). 

Can confirm. I ran a lot of social activities for teens, and some parents of a certain Christian flavor let their kids join in, and the moms were nice to me but also let it be known that a whole lot of praying for my soul was going on 😅

We would not have been allowed to join their co-op. 

23 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Quoting for truth. 

I think there is often a lot of confirmation bias going on, where posts and posters who disagree with you are more memorable. I'm not a conservative Christian, and I often feel surrounded by them here . . . that's a joke, but it's true that I am amazed that anyone would think that there is a lack of conservative Christians posting. 

• Like 9

Welcome, OP. I’d live in FL if my dh was ready to retire 🙂 

I am Catholic and homeschooled my first three K-12 and now have my last one in Catholic high school. I have lived in the Bible Belt all that time and while we muddled along until we couldn’t anymore if I had it to do over I would have made more of an effort to join the Catholic groups rather than deal with being the square peg all those years until I just couldn’t take it anymore. Many of my dd’s new friends at the Catholic high school were homeschooled at some point previously and had we joined the Catholic homeschool group/co-op she would have known some kids at the high school rather than go in knowing no one, which is what she did. I didn’t want to drive to the Catholic group when we moved here and tried to make it work in the Protestant local group and that was a mistake. Had I sought out the Catholic group we would either still be homeschooling or transitioning to Catholic high school would not have been such a big change. 

So I would definitely look at Catholic high schools and seek out Catholic homeschool support wherever you end up. I have a son who went to Tampa for college and stayed in the area and we have visited some and it is very diverse and I know they have Catholic schools there. He actually lives in Sarasota now and there is a Catholic high school down the street from him. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSera said:

It should be that discussion of the way politics has infiltrated a state’s education system has nothing to do with religion. A state not allowing teaching about racial issues has absolutely zero to do with Christianity. Or it certainly shouldn’t and is offensive when it does. 

Oh, golly, yes to the bolded! The conservative group we briefly belonged to (in NY, so nowhere near the extremes of the “Bible Belt”) was quite openly anti-Catholic! If I was in the OP’s shoes, I’d absolutely want to know about that sort of atmosphere before rather than after a move! 

OP, welcome. I hope you find what you’re looking for, be it in Florida or Alaska, or wherever! As for me, I’ll just smile and wave at ya from a state that *doesn’t* have giant, flying cockroaches…yet…though I have been told that the giant, parachuting spiders are on their way, so…😳

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

My sister loves living in Florida so much that when they moved to Georgia for her husband‘s job last year they moved back after four months.  She lives in the Tampa suburbs 

I haven't been there in umpteen years, but I remember Tampa as a strikingly pretty and clean city. 

OP, various areas in Florida can be strikingly different. That's true in any sizeable state to some extent, but even more so in Florida, imo. A very rough guide to get you started.

I've lived in two cities in south/southwest Florida, many many years ago. If I had to choose a region, it would be south Florida, east coast, like Fort Lauderdale. bc if I'm living in Florida, I want easy-ish access to Miami and the Keys. Great beaches, great shopping, great variety of things to do. It's a large and varied area, so you can almost certainly find any type of group or setting you are looking for (and, like someone suggested, you can start by looking at Catholic schools). Walkable neighborhoods were a thing there even way back when. Lots of subdivisions had a main entrance, which would have several stores and such on each side, so you could easily walk to the grocery, to ECs like karate or dance, and of course walk within the neighborhood. Cart paths were definitely more in the very affluent neighborhoods. 

There were what seemed like a crazy number of parks and paths when we lived there. 

South Florida is likely easier to break into socially, as there are a lot of transplants. 

The City Data forums might be a good resource. 

44 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The OP specifically said that she was happy to not bring up politics.  So why are you bringing it up? 

LOL, OP this is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Several posters said they couldn't live in Florida because of the politics there, especially the governor, but I am the one called out for making it political.  Moderators, feel free to remove my posts.  But then you better delete those as well, which is not what typically happens.

Don't worry.  This is my last comment on the thread.  Welcome OP.  I just didn't want you to be surprised.

• Like 9

We lived in the Orlando area for several years up until the pandemic and loved the area.  We had a wide range of friends of different religions and were accepting of each other.   Several of the teens attended Bishop Moore Catholic High School which is in the College Park area of Orlando and the families talked highly of the school and even the families that lived in that area really liked it.   A couple of the years we lived in the Baldwin Park area which is a master planned community which is full of amenities and is very walkable.   Winter Park is another area we lived in that many of our friends lived in also and had an excellent public high school as well.  Depending on which area of WP, you could walk to many shops and restaurants.   Most of these areas were a good 20-30 minutes north of the theme parks so they were easily accessed but considered a world away.

Homeschooling in Florida is very easy and unless something has changed, one of the only states that has a considerable financial reimbursement program for families that homeschool children with a wide range of medical and educational needs.  

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 4:34 PM, HomeAgain said:

Florida's political climate is not one that I would feel comfortable raising children in.

To each their own. We lived in 4 different states before settling in FL to raise our kids, and it has been amazing. No regrets. 

• Like 5

One of my kids moved to Florida four years ago and he LOVES living there. I've accepted that he's never coming back. He's near Tampa and I think you'd find just about everything you're looking for in the suburbs of that area. I wouldn't mind joining him there and keep joking with him about getting the MIL suite ready.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 4:26 PM, KateBradley said:

...where would you recommend we live?

Background: I'm new to posting here, hi!  I've got sons aged 12, 10, and 8.  We've lived overseas since before they were born, and currently homeschool in a somewhat classical style.  Kids are thriving academically but enrichment and social options are pretty limited, plus we'd like to be closer to family in the US.  Hubs has a pretty portable job, and we're all US citizens; we're looking at Florida because of weather, taxes, and the hope of finding like-minded neighbors.  These are our top considerations - do you live in a community that you think might be a good fit for us?

• we're Catholic - a vibrant parish would be wonderful; 
  • we're fairly conservative - but happy to just not talk politics if possible;
  • we're interested in a homeschooling community that offers lots of extracurriculars other than sports;
  • boys are currently interested in Dungeons and Dragons, robotics, history, fencing, piano;
  • we're considering sending kids to a brick-and-mortar high school, if there was a really excellent one available, especially a rigorous Catholic or classical option;
  • boys are all gifted, two highly, so acceleration/dual enrollment/enrichment options would be great;
  • welcoming community where you don't have to have lived there for 4 generations to make friends;
  • we're well enough off but not at all social climbers - I'd like to avoid a social scene where kids worry about their brand of sneakers and moms worry about their brand of purses;
  • kind of prefer suburbs over city or rural - a walkable neighborhood with sidewalks or cart paths would be ideal;
  • we've lived in hurricane zones before, and know about bugs and humidity, so no concerns there;
  • being within an hour of a beach would be a plus.

Keeping this a bit vague as we're not ready to announce a move, just starting to look into options.  There was an older thread that was super helpful, and I'd love to hear some contemporary opinions.  Thanks for any advice!

Have you ever looked into Columbia MD?  It’s not cheap or conservative but there are so many opportunities for kids with activities and education. Nobody cares how long you’ve been here and we even have bike paths. I even know someone whose business is guiding gifted homeschoolers into top universities. 🤣

• Like 1