Menu

Is anyone else struggling with winter blahs and feeling it getting to you?

Indigo Blue

Yes!  I've been dealing with some extra hard things this year and some days it's such a struggle.  I did do a winter garden this year and it helps so much, I really hate to think how bad things would have been without it.  Between the extra light and simply seeing my little planties grow, it really does help boost my spirits and of course having yummy fresh veggies helps too.  Even if you aren't into growing things, is there any botanical gardens you could visit.  Just getting int he warmth and seeing greenstuff might help.

• Like 5

I have my SAD (happy) light at my desk at work/. Today I met a friend and hiked over 6 miles which was great but it was 29° and not a hint of the sun.

I can do cold and snow and even shorter day but West Michigan gets so little sun in the winter it is hard.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Starr said:

I think Christmas lights should stay up until March. 

*happi duck waddles around with a sign on a stick while chanting:*

Lights til March!  Lights til March!

Whadda we want?  LIGHTS!!  When do we want em?  TIL MARCH!!

(Seriously, they help me so much!  We still have our outdoor twinkle lights up but took down the nativity scene.  I have a super bright silver Christmas tree that we keep up at least until Feb 2)

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I did just hear a glowing recommendation for a Happy Light from someone who said it made a huge difference in her life. 

I’ve looked at those for years but never bought one. I guess I’m skeptical. And to get a nice one, it’s not cheap. Hmmm……if it really works, though…..

I agree that the lack of snow feels darker and worse.  Not that the cold rain and mud are really helping either.

I do notice the days getting longer though, so that helps.

I guess it also helps that I'm immersed in work deadlines, so I don't have time to think about much else.  Theoretically.

Oh ... another thing that helps is planning our Spring break getaway.

And my kids' school class requests for next year - that's fun to think about.  (Should meet on that tomorrow.)

Usually, I work out the kids' summer camps/activities in January, which is a nice distraction.  But this year they are 16, so I want them to try to get a summer job.

Well ... tomorrow is my dog's birthday, so that should be fun, right?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’ve looked at those for years but never bought one. I guess I’m skeptical. And to get a nice one, it’s not cheap. Hmmm……if it really works, though…..

Happy light works great. $40 isn't a lot if it means keeping SAD manageable.

I start using mine in November. This winter was ok, didn't need it too much, but it really makes a difference for me. So does hiking as much as possible. 

I also switch work spaces inside the house and work with my laptop in different rooms at different times of day, following the sun.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Every. Year.

Around this time I start intentionally noting what time the sun goes over the horizon. It helps, a little, to mark how every day has 2 or 3 more minutes.  Today was a bit after 5; at the worst of December it was 4:20.

(and the lamp, and Vitamin D, and walking outside, and candlelit baths.  At the margin it all seems to help (and certainly Does No Harm), but none of it SOLVES.)

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I haven’t actually bought one yet either. My main concern was that I would get it but it would just end up as one more piece of junk sitting around here and/or it was just take up space on my desk and that would annoy me more than help. 

They sell Happy Light at Barnes & Noble so if you have a B&N near you, it might be worth to buy and try.

I rarely get Winter doldrums but my husband is a shopaholic so I get a lot of walking and sunshine accompanying him to prevent him from overbuying.  I also accompany DS18 to his community college campus twice a week and I do volunteer work whenever I am bored.

Today is the first day of Chinese New Year as well as Vietnamese New Year (Tết)and Korean New Year (Seollal). There are 15 days of celebration for Chinese New Year so I would have things to do.

• Like 1

Yes! I miss the sun!!! It’s rarely something I get to see these days but when it is out, I stay outside as long as possible. I really do need to try one of those lights as my sleep this year is all messed up due to lack of any sun. 

• Like 3

I do actually find it helps. It hasn't raised my vitamin D levels, but it does charge up my brain. I find when I eat my breakfast with the Happy Light on, I'm most definitely more awake and more alert, more willing to move and to do stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I do actually find it helps. It hasn't raised my vitamin D levels, but it does charge up my brain. I find when I eat my breakfast with the Happy Light on, I'm most definitely more awake and more alert, more willing to move and to do stuff. 

Same. I know my Happy Light helps because I look forward to getting up and eating breakfast, checking my planner and journaling beside it. I joke with Dh that I'm going to the beach, because my body loves it that much in our cloudy winter clime. Without it I'd rather stay in bed all day. 

Also: this year is especially hard. Warmer winter temps mean less brightening snow, and more rain. And we're facing existential challenges with a young adult struggling w/Long Covid. It hurts that our societal response ranges from denial to not-caring about young people's long term health. 

Silver lining--the empathy, caring and inclusiveness of our younger generations. When they take the reins of power, this world is going to look very different. Bless them!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

Link for happy light please! 

I was looking at this one. I don’t know how it compares to others. You can get bigger ones on stands. I don’t know if this little one is just as good as those. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KFQBY43/?coliid=I2TUVN75PXQDF2&colid=ME3QPO9L7H58&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

I was looking at this one. I don’t know how it compares to others. You can get bigger ones on stands. I don’t know if this little one is just as good as those. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KFQBY43/?coliid=I2TUVN75PXQDF2&colid=ME3QPO9L7H58&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That's the one I have and I LOVE the timer, variable brightness & warmth. Its strength matches what research shows helps with SAD.

The only other thing I'd like is an overhead angle, which maximizes impact according to the research. Makes sense since we've evolved to respond to sun overhead. Sometimes I put my Happy Light on a box to shine down on me, but if I were buying a new one I'd probably look for a stand or angle to shine down. But I wouldn't want to trade too many of the features I love about my current light.

The detachable base does make it easier to pack. I still try to protect the rectangular light between firm books in my bag. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Thanks 1

I probably won’t get it bad for another couple of weeks. February is my danger zone!

I don’t know a whole lot about the details of light stuff, but it *seems* *for me* that activating Apple’s blue light filters to coincide with sunset and sunrise has helped me with better sleep, making my January better than it usually feels.  
Dh has been sick and banished to the primary suite, so I’ve had the giant living room tv glaring at me before bed the past 3 nights and I’m cranky from crummy sleep. (And it’s not my couch; my couch is awesomeness. It gives THE best daytime naps.)

If that carries over into February, I will be convinced.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Every. Year.

Around this time I start intentionally noting what time the sun goes over the horizon. It helps, a little, to mark how every day has 2 or 3 more minutes.  Today was a bit after 5; at the worst of December it was 4:20.

I'm pretty sure I have reverse SAD (which I wish was more widely recognized). I do the same thing starting around the first of July--obsessively watch the sunrise/sunset times thinking "Leave you devil, leave!"

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm pretty sure I have reverse SAD (which I wish was more widely recognized). I do the same thing starting around the first of July--obsessively watch the sunrise/sunset times thinking "Leave you devil, leave!"

I have a friend from a very hot hot summer state that talked about this one year. She said mid summer is so hard for her. She goes to the lowest level of her house, shuts some heavy drapes over the windows and watches Christmas movies.

Kelly

• Like 3

So sorry you are having a rough winter! ❤️

I’m doing great this winter because my mind is on all things baby. I’ve been doing good with winter since 2020 when I decided I must spend at least 1 hour outside each day. This cured me of the winter blues. Winter used to make me depressed every year before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I keep my Christmas lights up until it has been 70 degrees for 3 consecutive days. That usually means until sometime in April. The lights help me get through winter.

Kelly

Do you keep your tree up also? Or are these lights strung up elsewhere?  I love twinkly lights, too, and even though I live way down south and generally don't feel the effects of SAD, I think I'd enjoy this. (For the record, I've decided to leave up my fancy schmancy tree with programmable lights at work, decorated by holiday/month, until I'm sick of it!)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I have this same one.  It definitely helps.  I  usually forget about it until I start feeling super tired and gloomy and just blah.  Then I remember I have it, pull it out and start using it, and things get better.  I started using it last week and things are improving despite the complete lack of sunlight.  All the days have been cloudy, gloomy, and wet lately.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I have a friend from a very hot hot summer state that talked about this one year. She said mid summer is so hard for her. She goes to the lowest level of her house, shuts some heavy drapes over the windows and watches Christmas movies.

Kelly

This is me. July and August are horrible here. I do search Hallmark for the Christmas movies and hide out because it is too hot to do anything. Everything is dead and dusty and tired looking outside. We have very short winters, so I enjoy them for all they’re worth. Already we are having signs of spring…. I drove past a plum orchard on Friday and it was starting to put out blossoms. Now that is just, too early.

And I put out autumn decorations on Labor Day, even it’s 105 degrees out. It just gives me hope.🤣

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Yes. Normally Michigan does have sunny, snowy days in January. Nope. It has been almost exclusively drizzle rain, grey skies, no reflective snow, just dreary.

I am keeping my spirits up with a focus on training for the kayaking and sailing season which reminds me thank at spring and summer and sunshine are coming. I have been looking at my garden plans, and looking at gardening primers and magazines just to vicariously feel some sunshine.

We have a trip to the Alabama house the first week of March, it will be sunny and warm there. I am looking forward to it!

It is a real struggle to not let the gloominess get to me.

• Like 2

I just looked up all the symptoms of SAD. I have them all, including sleep problems. 

Sometimes I just try to embrace the gloominess if I can. Classical piano music (happy, not in a weird key), candle, blinds closed, thunderstorm sounds on phone app, and warm drink. Weirdly, it doesn’t make it worse and oddly is a bit helpful. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes. Normally Michigan does have sunny, snowy days in January. Nope. It has been almost exclusively drizzle rain, grey skies, no reflective snow, just dreary.

I am keeping my spirits up with a focus on training for the kayaking and sailing season which reminds me thank at spring and summer and sunshine are coming. I have been looking at my garden plans, and looking at gardening primers and magazines just to vicariously feel some sunshine.

We have a trip to the Alabama house the first week of March, it will be sunny and warm there. I am looking forward to it!

It has to be much worse up there. I’m in NC and it gets hard in February, especially. I can’t imagine what it’s like up North. Yikes. Hang in there.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kidlit said:

Do you keep your tree up also? Or are these lights strung up elsewhere?  I love twinkly lights, too, and even though I live way down south and generally don't feel the effects of SAD, I think I'd enjoy this. (For the record, I've decided to leave up my fancy schmancy tree with programmable lights at work, decorated by holiday/month, until I'm sick of it!)  

I take my tree down right away and put the lights in the window. I sit with coffee in the morning and with tea at night and have the lights on. It makes me happy 😊

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I just looked up all the symptoms of SAD. I have them all, including sleep problems. 

Sometimes I just try to embrace the gloominess if I can. Classical piano music (happy, not in a weird key), candle, blinds closed, thunderstorm sounds on phone app, and warm drink. Weirdly, it doesn’t make it worse and oddly is a bit helpful. 

At night I love to do this - burn a candle, put on a rip roaring thunderstorm in my ears and drink something warm under a cozy blanket. I struggle during the days the most. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I take my tree down right away and put the lights in the window. I sit with coffee in the morning and with tea at night and have the lights on. It makes me happy 😊

Hmmm, I could do this. Need to get our strings of twinkle lights out of the camping box! Mine would go on the curtain rod over the picture window and on the mantel. 

• Like 4

re leaning in to the SAD

6 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Oh, heavens yes.  Maybe once a week from Nov-March I take a good long soak in the tub at 10 at night, candles flickering, instrumental jazz, smelly salts, the whole thing.  I NEVER do this when the days are long, but it's a winter pleasure.

4 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

At night I love to do this - burn a candle, put on a rip roaring thunderstorm in my ears and drink something warm under a cozy blanket. I struggle during the days the most. 

My worst time of day is between 4-7.  In the summer, I am ACTIVE all these hours; in the winter my energy level just plummets as the sun goes down and I just want to collapse under a blanket. I don't even want to EAT dinner, let alone make it.

I've given up blaming myself for the sharp divergence between Summer Pam vs Winter Pam; and while I do the lamp and the D and the walks and etc so as to manage Winter Pam, I've given up trying truly to change Winter Pam. 

I do less. I have fewer social engagements, I make fewer commitments on my boards and civic organizations, I do not organize excursions to theater or museums in NY, I do not start ambitious home improvement projects.  Until I get my mojo back. 

[I do now know, and trust, that I WILL get my mojo back when the light returns. Until I figured that bit out I had some very bleak times.]

Edited by Pam in CT
omitted words
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Same here in WI.  I don't remember it ever being this bad.  I haven't seen the sun in so long.  There were a few hours of peeks of sun last Sunday for a few hours and we were at an outdoor birthday party.  It felt wonderful.  I noticed that the because it is so dreary here this year nothing is working for me.  Usually it is a day or two here and there. I turn on all the lights inside and I can manage.  But this year the constant of the darkness that isn't working.  I still have Christmas lights up.  Looking into the Happy Light now.  How is it different than just turning all your lights on inside?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How is it different than just turning all your lights on inside?

I don’t know. That’s why I hadn’t already bought one. I didn’t know if it was just gimmicky. Supposedly, it’s not. Maybe it’s the number of lumens? Maybe someone can explain. I’m planning to use mine a bit first thing in the morning, and then start adding time by putting it at my desk for awhile. I did read that it’s best not to use it after 1 pm. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Quill said:

I haven’t actually bought one yet either. My main concern was that I would get it but it would just end up as one more piece of junk sitting around here and/or it was just take up space on my desk and that would annoy me more than help. 

Our library has one that patrons can check out! Maybe yours does, too? Ours is in the "Library of Things" section.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1