gardenmom5

Christmas tree lights  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What color lights for your tree?

• White
    • Color
    • Obligatory other
    • I don't have a tree, but like to answer polls

I prefer colored lights on our tree. My mil always has white lights on her tree and it's much more color coordinated with ornaments, and while it's beautiful I love having lots of color and all different kinds of ornaments. I have ornaments that she wouldn't dream of putting on her tree because they are too old or don't fit in with the style of the tree, like the ornament her mother made her when dh was born, a little brown drum made of cardboard and felt. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

When I was a child we had real candles. We sat and watched the lighted tree on Christmas day with buckets of water to hand. It was magical.

Now, we have warm white lights.

Dh had real candles when he was in Austria.  They didn't leave them lit for long - lit them and took lots of pictures, then blew them out.

I got him candle lights . . . only, they have to be put on every year, and I'm so done with putting them on  . . . (and it's his busy time of year.  He doesn't have time, so it doesn't happen.)

we have a new tree this year - it has "dot" lights that can be changed from white to colored, and other functions.  We'll see how that works . . . .

• Like 1

I'll start - this is my tree from last year, as this year's isn't up yet. (though I'm hankering . . . . )

I'd like to do my "eclectic" tree this year (it's the one we do candle lights), after quite a few years of my snowflake tree.

2021-12-23 00.05.53.jpg

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

That's lovely.  We buy a real tree from a homelessness charity, and that's not available until 10th December.  Husband's family put up their tree after Thanksgiving and mine on Christmas Eve, so that's our compromise. 

I love the smell of real trees. . . but I despise doing lights.  And it's an exhausting process.  fake trees aren't as tiring for me.  

I was thinking I may go cut some branches off the noble firs in my yard, just for the smell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I love the smell of real trees. . . but I despise doing lights.  And it's an exhausting process.  fake trees aren't as tiring for me.  

I was thinking I may go cut some branches off the noble firs in my yard, just for 

The kids usually do the decorating. Timing is a bit confused this year, but they probably won't be home in time. It's just a 6' tree, so quite easy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

When I was a child we had real candles. We sat and watched the lighted tree on Christmas day with buckets of water to hand. It was magical.

When I was young we lit real candles on the tree on Christmas Eve. Growing up in California I’ve always had a fear of fire, stopping the tradition was a relief. 

• Like 4

I use warm white LED fairy lights on my tree.

DH wants to put up a big tree this year, our first attempt with kitties (I switched to a table top tree a few years ago and they pretty much leave it alone, except to sleep under). I don’t have high hopes.

Some years we get a real tree and some years we use a fake one. I prefer fake because I’m worried about ticks on a real one, and keeping it watered is a hassle. Plus I have mixed feelings about the whole Christmas tree industry…but also about fake trees. It gets complicated, lol. 

• Like 3

I like white; my daughter likes color; my husband and son don't care.  Our pre-lit tree has white lights. But, some of the lights are dead so...

Last year we bought a set that we can switch from white to color. I'd guess it was mostly on white but we would change to color periodically.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

This is awesome! The Danish tradition is to light trees with real candles, and burn a Yule log on a hearth. Dh says the only way we are having real candles is if we decorate the half dead small blue spruce outside with them, and he stands guard with the kitchen fire extinguisher and the hose. He says he would consider it since we have to cut it down in the spring anyway. But having to dance around the tree in snow and 15° weather dampens my enthusiasm for the tradition! 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'll start - this is my tree from last year, as this year's isn't up yet. (though I'm hankering . . . . )

I'd like to do my "eclectic" tree this year (it's the one we do candle lights), after quite a few years of my snowflake tree.

2021-12-23 00.05.53.jpg

Wow, your tree is stunning!!! Love it so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, your tree is stunning!!! Love it so much.

Thank you.  That's my 'theme' tree, (I cringe at theme).  I made crocheted snowflakes, and thought it would be fun to do a "winter" tree.  So, to overcome my cringe, I made a rule all the ornaments had to be handmade   beaded icicles, spruce cones, and glass balls spray painted white and sprinkled with glitter.    I originally did it for my 2nd/family room tree.

15 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Color!  White lights are pretty, but they just feel to perfect.  All the colors of lights and all kinds of ornaments we’ve collected over the years is just more homey.

This is my preference, and that's the tree I want to do this year.  ranging from preschool craft day to european glass, etc.  I call it my "eclectic" tree.  It's what was always in my living room where the presents went.  (I had a child beg for the snowflake tree for awhile.)

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We have a prelit tree and it came with white, so that’s what we do. I don’t think I ever thought about it. I like colored, too.

I grew up with white lights, and we've always had white lights.  this is the first time I found a prelit tree that could switch back and forth.  Not as realistic as I would have liked, but it's the one dh's wanted (and good reviews). - I admit, I'm curious to see how it would be with colored lights.  Now that it can be switched back and forth.
I thought we were doing a real tree this year, so I bought five boxes (two strands each) from costco, of lights that switch back and forth.

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

I use warm white LED fairy lights on my tree.

DH wants to put up a big tree this year, our first attempt with kitties (I switched to a table top tree a few years ago and they pretty much leave it alone, except to sleep under). I don’t have high hopes. 

when he was a tiny kitten, he'd climb the ladder while I was working on the tree.  Last year, he had zero interest - except to sleep under the tree.  I ended up leaving a space underneath for him to nest, so I paid attention to where I was placing presents.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Large tree in family room: small, colorful lights

Medium tree in front room: white (this is a themed tree, it is all red and white)

Small tree by fireplace doesn't have lights. This is a gnome themed tree.

wanna do a gnome bookcase?

(From my collection of internet funnies, probably a library)

92954026_10157957912876469_5994265239737073664_n.jpg

• Like 8

DH grew up with white lights and, when we got married, he admitted that he thought colored lights were tacky. I was totally team-colored lights. I love, love, love colors and especially when they are lit up. That's what I had growing up--a big tree full of colored lights and homemade kids' ornaments and other special ornaments of every kind, with old-style tinsel. Nothing matched but everything did because it was so full of color.

We had white lights for 11 years--until we had DD. Then suddenly DH wanted colored lights. 🙂 Now we have a white tree, colored lights, and a very eclectic collection of ornaments, and we love it.

• Like 1

We’ve had both over the years. No tree for us this year - our kids are grown, and we’ve simplified Christmas a lot. But we’ll have white lights on the deck that is just off the living room, and fresh evergreen boughs on the mantel, so it will feel cozy and Christmasy.

• Like 1

We have colored lights, but particular colors.  For years it was blue, green, and white.  Now we have red, green, and white.  I think both can look nice, but I prefer to have color on my tree.  The lights on the outside of our house however, can be either color or white at the push of a button, so we can change them depending on our mood.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 2:09 AM, Laura Corin said:

When I was a child we had real candles.

We still do this.  Growing up our parents wouldn't let us have electric lights, just candles, so that's how I started my adult life.  Now I like both candles and lights, but we always switch off the lights to light the candles on Christmas Eve.

• Like 3

I like white. I'm going to order more today, because they were partly burned out last year (and we only use one strand). We use a tabletop tree. DS decorates it to his satisfaction. I love having it so we can put it up and take it down easily & it doesn't feel like a massive chore to put away.

• Like 1