Menu

Thoughts please:

gardenmom5

The story of the bride and the caterer who were arrested for lacing the food at the reception (for 50 guests) with pot - and not telling anyone.   Several guests called 911 when they started getting sick.  Charges have been filed.

I'm interested in people's thoughts - and why they think this is OK or Not.

UPDATE: - my brother - who did this to me 45 years ago - doesn't think there was anything wrong with it.  And that the guests probably needed to "relax". . . and it's "perfectly safe" . .    I thought he'd grown up.  Apparently not and he's just as much of a jerk as ever.  irony - as he yelled at me at our mother's "wake" over the food because ***I*** didn't make sure there were things his "allergic" daughter could eat.  (yeah - she couldn't have the salad dressing.  you know the stuff placed off to the side so people can dish it up themselves . . . .  but it's OK to serve people pot laced food without them knowing about it.

well - i've been nearly the last family member to talk with him . . . that may be coming to an end.

Edited by gardenmom5

No matter where one stands personally on the issue of recreational pot use: it is NOT okay to feed pot to people without their consent and knowledge.
The. End.
What more is there to say?

Why it's not okay? For once, people can have an adverse reaction and get sick. Second, people can lose their livelihood by being caught consuming substances, even inadvertently, and even where it is legal.
How f'ing dumb is this bride?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 16

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Of course it’s not ok. People could accidentally drive while under the influence. They could be allergic. They could have medical contraindications. They could have addiction issues. They could have mental health issues that are exacerbated by getting high. There’s probably more…

What Jean said. It *should* be a no brainer that of course this is wrong. I’m glad charges were filed and I hope they do some jail time. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, regentrude said:

No matter where one stands personally on the issue of recreational pot use: it is NOT okay to feed pot to people without their consent and knowledge.
The. End.
What more is there to say?

Why it's not okay? For once, people can have an adverse reaction and get sick. Second, people can lose their livelihood by being caught consuming substances, even inadvertently, and even where it is legal.
How f'ing dumb is this bride?

And if they are recovering addicts, this could send them into a downward spiral. 

The stupidity - and complicity of the caterer! - astounds me. 

• Like 7

It is never ok to give anyone any drug without their knowledge and consent.  (Except during a medical emergency, of course.)

Are there actually people out there who think otherwise?

Edited by EKS
  • Like 8

Holy crud!!!

Yeah, I'd file charges. I live where medical marijuana is legal. I know people that use it successfully and responsibly, that's fine. I personally find that even small amounts eaten make me sick to my stomach, anxious, angry, and feel overall just freaking terrible. (oddly, CBD doesn't do any of this). 

So yeah, someone puts a substance in my food that is going to make me sick, and impair my ability to think/drive/etc, without my knowing? I'd be ANGRY. (actually, I'd be angry just from the THC, cause it does that to me, but justifiably angry in this case)

• Like 3

I agree with everyone above.

However, this does make me wonder if legalizing mj for recreational purposes could also mean it is legal to do what this bride and caterer did?  What specific laws would prevent it?  Is it also illegal to spike the punch and "forget" to mention it to the guests [unless they ask]?

28 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

The story of the bride and the caterer who were arrested for lacing the food at the reception (for 50 guests) with pot - and not telling anyone.   Several guests called 911 when they started getting sick.  Charges have been filed.

This is a zillion ways not okay at all, and I'd be surprised if anyone thinks it is. 

1 -- there could be medication interactions that make it akin to poisoning

2 -- there could be children in attendance which makes it akin to child abuse/child endangerment

3 -- even without either of the above, it seems akin to drugging someone's drink, so again...wrong

Are there really people who think it's okay?????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

(oddly, CBD doesn't do any of this). 

My son's ND said the CBD removes the THC.  Or at least the one she'd rec'd for him for his anxiety had removed it.

6 minutes ago, SKL said:

However, this does make me wonder if legalizing mj for recreational purposes could also mean it is legal to do what this bride and caterer did?  What specific laws would prevent it?  Is it also illegal to spike the punch and "forget" to mention it to the guests [unless they ask]?

Recreational use is illegal in their state. 

4 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Are there really people who think it's okay?????

Apparently.  The sites I went to that allowed comments had a significant number who thought it was funny.  "no one was hurt/died" (a lot of the supporters made that claim - even for those who ended up in the hospital.. . . .).  Oh - and that those objecting should "get over themselves".

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think it could lead to that perception, even if it's not legal to do those things, but that still betrays a level of cluelessness or ill intent on the part of the person taking advantage of the legality. I bet it does happen with punch, but I bet it's usually targeted, and someone is assigned to keep the kids and grandma away from the punch. 

I'm glad to hear so many object.  On several news article comment sections, a significant portion thought it was fine/funny.  It was really triggering for me.

My brother did this to me when I was 14/15.  I took one bite of the laced chocolate chip cookies and asked what the black specks were. He started laughing like a hyena.  When i confronted him -our mother just stood by and said/did NOTHING!  I threw it away and refused to eat anymore.   

I sent a link to the article to him asking his opinion.  I don't think he'd do it now - he doesn't use pot anymore - but neither will he take responsibility for how his choices affected other people let alone apologize for it.  I don't expect a response.

Then there were all the other times his friend tried to force me to inhale his pot smoke.

• Sad 5

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

My son's ND said the CBD removes the THC.  Or at least the one she'd rec'd for him for his anxiety had removed it.

If I ever decided to try a  THC product in the future, it would be one with at least equal CBD, to see if that did in fact make a difference. But I don't think that is going to happen.

46 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Of course it’s not ok. People could accidentally drive while under the influence. They could be allergic. They could have medical contraindications. They could have addiction issues. They could have mental health issues that are exacerbated by getting high. There’s probably more…

My ‘more’ would be that I have chosen not to drink or do recreational drugs and have avoided it for the 61 years I’ve been alive. And I want to keep it that way. If I had ingested pot as a joke, I might need bail money because I might just punch someone.  I have no objections to alcohol and recreational pot, I just personally choose not to partake.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, SKL said:

Being legal doesn't make it something you can give someone without their knowledge. Just like you couldn't dissolve tylenol in someone's drink and claim it's okay because it's a legal drug. If they took tylenol right beforehand and then drank more in their drink, that could be fatal. Or allergy, or anything else, not the least of which is just having the autonomy to decide you don't want to ingest certain things. I would be super upset if I drank spiked punch because it wasn't marked as such. That would be very upsetting for anyone recovering from alcoholism as well. Totally not okay.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Annie G said:

My ‘more’ would be that I have chosen not to drink or do recreational drugs and have avoided it for the 61 years I’ve been alive. And I want to keep it that way. If I had ingested pot as a joke, I might need bail money because I might just punch someone.  I have no objections to alcohol and recreational pot, I just personally choose not to partake.  

same here ... I have never drunk or used any kind of drugs as a choice for my entire life and I want to stay that way. I would probably punch anyone who tried to sneak it into my food without my knowledge as well! And I am super sensitive to odors and tastes and I would have figured that something strange was going on with the food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SKL said:

It is illegal to spike drinks with alcohol without people’s knowledge. 

https://www.patitucelaw.com/blog/2020/july/is-spiking-a-drink-with-drugs-illegal-/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

same here ... I have never drunk or used any kind of drugs as a choice for my entire life and I want to stay that way. I would probably punch anyone who tried to sneak it into my food without my knowledge as well! And I am super sensitive to odors and tastes and I would have figured that something strange was going on with the food.

THC takes a bit of time to take effect - people had consumed quite a bit of food before it hit them.

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I want to tell you you’re insane for thinking anyone would believe it’s okay, except obviously some idiots do, since it happened!

It is never okay to drug someone. There are no other valid thoughts. 

• Like 6

I don't know how anyone could think that is remotely ok without consent.

It reminds me of that cooking show with cannabis on netflix.  It's called Cooked with Cannabis.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81032347

I watched a couple episodes of it and it seemed really nuts to me but these people were all high brow about it.  The hosts probably thought they were being clever and fancy.  🙄  I also think you have to be careful with dosing with this and really have to know what you're doing. 

I hope they are charged approrpiately and any guest that had ill affects should sue their pants off. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I want to tell you you’re insane for thinking anyone would believe it’s okay, except obviously some idiots do, since it happened!

it has happened TO ME personally.  that's why this story was so triggering for me.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

Definitely not ok. I have to take bi-annual drug tests because I take a narcotic pain medication for chronic pain. If I got dinged on a drug test because someone drugged me without my knowledge I could lose my pain meds. 

And some people have jobs/careers that require regular drug tests. What if someone lost their livelihood as a result? That’s definitely lawsuit worthy. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SKL said:

As others have said, adding even legal things to someone's food or drinks is already not legal.  People have gotten in trouble for giving people laxatives and calling it chocolate, or putting them in foods.  

ETA:  I didn't bother saying this was totally not okay because I'd figure it was obvious but I guess I should say it - NOT OK.  

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SKL said:

Just because something is legal at the state or federal level does not mean it is 'ok' for employment, sports and more.  My husband would lose his job, our livelihood,  and my child would lose their ability to compete.   So, so, SO wrong!

• Like 1

Absolutely NOT okay to do. Some people react very badly.

I smoke pot and do edibles with no problem. My sister suffers from joint pain and has trouble sleeping so I suggested she try a small amount of a edible. It was literally the size of a medium size crumb that I gave her.

She ended up puking for about 3 hours straight. It was awful

19 minutes ago, Home'scool said:

I smoke pot and do edibles with no problem. My sister suffers from joint pain and has trouble sleeping so I suggested she try a small amount of a edible. It was literally the size of a medium size crumb that I gave her.

Exactly. I hope they're prosecuted for assault. You can't put legal over the counter meds in people's food without them knowing about it and consenting to it.

I can't have vasoconstrictors, penicillin, or morphine even administered by a licensed medical professional for conditions that typically receive those treatments. I'm contraindicated for the first one with a disease that is extremely painful when administered, and I'm allergic to the other two.

I can't eat strawberries (maybe due to pesticides) because they trigger migraines or now, apparently, based on being admitted to the hospital last week for my throat swelling almost shut, black sesame seeds, fermented garlic, and/or millet. We're not sure exactly which one(s) because they were all new to me and part of a rice dish I tried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

It's never acceptable to expose someone to chemical substances (legal or illegal) if they haven't consented and if they aren't of age.

would your opinion change if they were "of age"?  if not - why say it?

19 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

And if they are recovering addicts, this could send them into a downward spiral. 

The stupidity - and complicity of the caterer! - astounds me. 

one guest asked about the food - and the caterer was "giggling" really hard so the guest thought she was lying when told there was canabis in it.

she may well have been stoned at the reception.

1 hour ago, Home'scool said:

I brought this up to my sister because our brother did it to me.  that's why it hit such a nerve, and I really needed to talk through it.

she tried edibles to help her sleep and was only supposed to eat 1/4. but she didn't feel anything and it "tasted so good" so she ate the whole thing. . . she ended up in the ER.  she thought she was dying - but the medical staff was pretty nonchalant (she took it as meaning she wasn't going to die) while it metabolized from her system.  They told her to smoke it next time.  I think she still does the edibles - but a VERY SMALL piece.

Edited by gardenmom5

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

would your opinion change if they were "of age"?  if not - why say it?

I'm not following what you mean by this.

Being of age is the minimum standard for giving someone substances with their consent. It's illegal to give anyone substances without their consent at any age. Society already assumes and accepts that someone can't give substances to minors without parental permission and there are many limits on that.

Edited by HS Mom in NC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

It's never acceptable to expose someone to chemical substances (legal or illegal) if they haven't consented andi f they aren't of age.

20 minutes ago, HS Mom in NC said:

I'm not following what you mean by this.

Being of age is the minimum standard for giving someone substances with their consent. It's illegal to give anyone substances without their consent at any age. Society already assumes and accepts that someone can't give substances to minors without parental permission and there are many limits on that.

It's the way it was written - I read it wrong and missed the "if they haven't consented".   

Sorry - It was a long day yesterday.

3 hours ago, Home'scool said:

This is me. 1/4 of a small dose makes me want to hurl, anxious, etc. More and the muscle pain it was supposed to help is made worse because I tense up from the way it makes me feel. Eating a bunch without knowing would be awful. 

Not okay in my opinion.

1.) You don't know how it could affect someone's health.

2.) You don't know how it could affect someone who will be driving home.

3.) You don't know who could lose their job or go to jail from failing a UA.

4.) You don't know who you could be causing to violate their religious beliefs. 

(The word "you" being used generically, not directed at the OP or anyone else.)

People in my life could lose their security clearance and thus their entire livelihood over this. It isn't even a wee bit funny.

"Legal in your state" is a misnomer as the Federal law still stands and the Supremacy Clause is in place ...if challenged in a Federal setting, these state laws are on questionable ground. Marijuana is still a federally controlled substance. 

See also

https://law.stanford.edu/2018/01/09/state-marijuana-laws-at-odds-with-federal-enforcement/