Menu

Children’s Literature and places to visit

Elizabeth86

Orchard House in Concord, MA for Little Women.  It’s EXACTLY like in the book.  Totally awesome if you’re a fan.

Fairy Land in Oakland, CA if you like the Beatrix Potter books.  It’s not where they are set, but they inform a bunch of the design there.

Mark Twain Cave in Hannibal, MO for Tom Sawyer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We loved visiting Assateague with our horse loving girl! I hope you can go!

Next she wants to visit Mankato, MN for Betsy-Tacy-Tib, and I've always wanted to visit Maine just based on Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, and Days of Wonder.

Others I can think of:

Lake District for Beatrix Potter's house

London/Edinburgh for Harry Potter

Paddington Station for Paddington

There was a lot of Alice in Wonderland stuff in Oxford, but I am not sure if there is any particular place to visit.

Paris for Madeline

NYC/Central Park for Stuart Little

NYC/Met for From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Prince Edward Island for Anne of Green Gables

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really want to visit the place from Roxaboxen! It's in Arizona I think.

You can visit the house from Green Knowe in the UK, if I ever get there I'm visiting that place.

Playing Beatie Bow is a children's classic set in 'The Rocks' in Sydney, we visited there for a school excursion and looked for the places from the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bookbard said:

I really want to visit the place from Roxaboxen! It's in Arizona I think.

You can visit the house from Green Knowe in the UK, if I ever get there I'm visiting that place.

Playing Beatie Bow is a children's classic set in 'The Rocks' in Sydney, we visited there for a school excursion and looked for the places from the story.

I want to see Roxaboxen too! It is in Arizona. 

• Like 1

Fairly local for us--I was so excited one time we were driving in Portland and we came across Klickitat St (Henry Huggins--Beverly Cleary). There is also a park near where dd had a soccer game once and it has statues of Ramona and Henry. Not worth a whole vacation, but nice to come across.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think that the Little House in the Big Woods is still standing in a park in western Wisconsin, although I have never seen it.

And I’ve seen where Little House on the Prairie was filmed—the town parts in Columbia State Historic Park in California (which is a great place to visit regardless—a living history town frozen around 1859.).  Also, the meadow that Melissa Gilbert runs down and then is freeze framed mid-leap is very high up in the back roads of the Sierras—8000-9000 feet, and was for sale 10 years ago.  We looked at it; it was beautiful but you could only get there reliably about two months per year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Fairly local for us--I was so excited one time we were driving in Portland and we came across Klickitat St (Henry Huggins--Beverly Cleary). There is also a park near where dd had a soccer game once and it has statues of Ramona and Henry. Not worth a whole vacation, but nice to come across.

My kids would explode! The 10, 9 and 6 year old can recite many parts of the Ramona books and often include Ramona characters in their pretend play.  They listen to them on audible almost every night. I doubt I'll be on the west coast anytime soon, but fun to know!

• Like 2

BTW, anybody who is interested in visiting where the All-of-a-Kind Family lived should definitely plan to do two things when they visit NYC. First, visit the Tenement Museum - you have to book a tour in advance - and then do a Big Apple walking tour of the Lower East Side, and I suggest their tasting tour.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tanaqui said:

BTW, anybody who is interested in visiting where the All-of-a-Kind Family lived should definitely plan to do two things when they visit NYC. First, visit the Tenement Museum - you have to book a tour in advance - and then do a Big Apple walking tour of the Lower East Side, and I suggest their tasting tour.

Great! I adored this book! 

Hyperlocal, but we read The People in Pineapple Place and then did ALL the Georgetown things in the book one day. The people who owned the house where Pineapple Place is hidden say hello if they see children visiting the spot. That was the first time we'd ever been to Dumbarton Oaks. If anyone is local to DC and has never been, holy cow what an amazing garden.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Hyperlocal, but we read The People in Pineapple Place and then did ALL the Georgetown things in the book one day. The people who owned the house where Pineapple Place is hidden say hello if they see children visiting the spot. That was the first time we'd ever been to Dumbarton Oaks. If anyone is local to DC and has never been, holy cow what an amazing garden.

I LOVED that book when I was a kid. It's probably why I have an August 🙂

Someone already mentioned it, but Green Gables is a historic site on PEI in Canada--we went a couple of years ago, and it's great; they have the house that inspired the book all set up like in the books, and someone dressed up as Anne, and lots of activities/tours. 

The Ingalls Homestead in DeSmet, SD is wonderful, and you can camp there (either in a tent or RV or in a rented covered wagon). In town, they have tours of various sites from the books, including the surveyor's house they stayed in one winter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We took the Madeline books with us to Paris once, and it was remarkable how the illustrations matched up with the buildings/sites. 

We did a road trip once for the Little House/BetsyTacy books. Mankato was great, and we also saw the Little House on the prairie near Independence, KS, Mansfield, MO (good museum), Walnut Grove (awesome because you can actually wade in Plum Creek and there are leeches), and DeSmet (LOTS of Laura history there). 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, saw said:

We took the Madeline books with us to Paris once, and it was remarkable how the illustrations matched up with the buildings/sites. 

We did a road trip once for the Little House/BetsyTacy books. Mankato was great, and we also saw the Little House on the prairie near Independence, KS, Mansfield, MO (good museum), Walnut Grove (awesome because you can actually wade in Plum Creek and there are leeches), and DeSmet (LOTS of Laura history there). 

This is a dream of mine, but so far no one in the house shares my love for the little house books yet.

The Plaza hotel in NYC, if your kids like the Eloise books. There's a painting of her in the lobby. It would be rather expensive to stay in the Penthouse, though!

If you are a comic strip fan, there's a statue of Beetle Bailey as a college student at the University of Missouri, and there's a cafe in the student center which is wallpapered in the comic strips and has a gallery of memorabilia. (Mort Walker was an alumni and based the earliest strips and characters, before Beetle joined the army, on his fellow students). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My kids and I have gotten to do a lot of these! 

For anyone planning to make a trip of all these add in the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, MA. I know no books take place there, but it’s still such a neat museum. They had a Paddington Bear exhibit when we were there including the original Paddington!

D5996AC4-1987-4E59-AACA-19D604824E2A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Right? 

Not to derail the thread, but he is now the proud owner of a stretcher. Like an ambulance stretcher that our company was sending to the scrapyard and told him he could keep. Just in case he’s ever doing woodwork he thinks it would make a great adjustable bench.  
I am really convinced that I could easily fund a year long literary trip with the contents of my garage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Not to derail the thread, but he is now the proud owner of a stretcher. Like an ambulance stretcher that our company was sending to the scrapyard and told him he could keep. Just in case he’s ever doing woodwork he thinks it would make a great adjustable bench.  
I am really convinced that I could easily fund a year long literary trip with the contents of my garage.

No worries you are not derailing. That is hilarious/ I am so very sorry.

• Haha 1