Menu

Update: I've never finished a TV series, challenge me to :)

Ann.without.an.e

Updated as reply.

First of all, I don't watch very much TV, just too busy I guess. Lately I feel like I'd like to have something I can just wind down to some evenings, but I've always lost interest in a series and never finished one. Over the years I've started things like 24, Alias, Friends, HIMYM, Big Bang, Everybody Loves Raymond, Manifest, Lost, etc, etc, I could go on.

I started A Handmaid's Tale and even though it is dark, I'm a little glued. Not sure at what point I'll lose interest. I hate storylines that just drag out forever or are super predictable. I love things with some depth and meaning or something unexpected. Some of my favorite movies are About Time, Love Rosie, Arrival. 

I think I liked Love, Rosie because I clicked on the title with no clue what it was, had never heard of it nor did I see a trailer. I hate knowing the whole plot line of a movie and my mom will always say "ooh, you have to watch this" and then commence to tell me everything and I refuse to watch it after that. 

Would y'all like to suggest a tv series that doesn't drag out for a bazillion seasons that you think I may enjoy and be able to stick to and finish? A challenge of sorts 😁

Edited by Ann.without.an.e

Well if you like Handmaid's Tale maybe Breaking Bad or Ozark or Killing Eve?  Those are all dark but I found them all super compelling.  I remember watching those last couple episodes of Breaking Bad at 3 am in the dark.  😂  Ozark last episodes should be coming soon, that is not a super long series.  Killing Eve is in season 4 right now, I've just seen the first 3.

I really have enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and I knew nothing about it when I started it.  That is comedic and takes place in the 50's.  The production work is gorgeous.

If you like kind of weird, sci fi AND maybe historical based stuff maybe Outlander? Firefly is a great finite sci fi series, totally agree on that if you haven't seen it.  That actually makes me want to rewatch it!  

I like a lot of British based historical series, The Crown, Downton Abbey, Victoria, Call the Midwife.  Those are all beautifully done and some of my favorites but maybe it's not your genre.  Call the Midwife is too long, that series is in season 11 right now.  😂

• Like 3

The Expanse just finished off with 5 seasons. It's technically science fiction, but if I were to really categorize it is political intrigue and about people trying to forward their own agendas. There is more to tell after season 5 but they aren't slated for a season 6. It doesn't end on a crazy cliff-hanger; it's more like you want more of the story to unfold.

Battlestar Galatica is really good too but I haven't been able to finish because it's long and it's a bit too deep. 

I don't think either is predictable.

• Like 2

Short series- Hulu- true crime (never a genre I thought I liked)- The Dropout and Dopesick (liked Dopesick better but enjoyed both), and new one a bit of a funny take- The Thing About Pam.  

Spoof on true crime- Only Murders in the Building- Steve Martin and Martin Short- loved this one (not pg!)

Short comedy series- Derry Girls and Sex Education on Netflix - Sex ed is. Very explicit.

• Like 1

Series that I have watched multiple times include Sex and the City, Schitt’s Creek, The Office, and, if I could find a way to watch for free, The Middle. 

ETA I lied. After reading other responses I will add Mrs Maisel and Downton Abbey. Eclectic group I’m realizing lol. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Series that I have watched multiple times include Sex and the City, Schitt’s Creek, The Office, and, if I could find a way to watch for free, The Middle. 

ETA I lied. After reading other responses I will add Mrs Maisel and Downton Abbey. Eclectic group I’m realizing lol. 

17 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Definitely give Schitts Creek a good try!

Also, Avatar the Last Airbender and She-ra.

Parks and Rec starts slow but gets so good

I like Parks & Rec Schitt's Creek and the Office but they are longer series.

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Queens Gambit?  Wasn't it only like 2 seasons?  Just looked it up, only 7 episodes.

Oh that one was good too.

• Like 1

I think I’d go with two *completely* different suggestions:

Downton Abbey

Breaking Bad

Stranger Things 

Just as an aside, I had ZERO desire to watch Downton bc of all the hype. I finally watched the first two episodes after it had been out for years and was hooked. It’s one of my all-time favorites now. 

Stranger Things looked like the dumbest show ever when I caught glimpses when my kids and nieces/nephews were watching it. One day my dh was watching the first episode and I was like “why are you watching this dumb show?” Mid-way I started watching a bit more. Within the next episode, yep, I was hooked lol

• Like 1

Monk. White Collar. Elementary. Boston Legal ( last show so funny)  Lines like earlier ones, “Hey Denny, I’ve barely seen you this episode.” 

these finished well and wrapped up the story.  Others did not snd so I’m not recommending them.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clarita said:

The Expanse just finished off with 5 seasons. It's technically science fiction, but if I were to really categorize it is political intrigue and about people trying to forward their own agendas. There is more to tell after season 5 but they aren't slated for a season 6. It doesn't end on a crazy cliff-hanger; it's more like you want more of the story to unfold.

Battlestar Galatica is really good too but I haven't been able to finish because it's long and it's a bit too deep. 

I don't think either is predictable.

The Expanse just finished off with season six. And worth every minute.

The Good Place is delightful, has four seasons, and wraps everything up at the end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Danae said:

...and wraps everything up at the end.

I think this is important for me, too many shows get lost (the joke we make about Lost all the time). They can't let go and they stretch out the story lines. The full story is important to me for some reason. I think that's why I can't stand to rewatch movies or tv shows nor do I prefer to watch things if someone tells me too many plot line details. idk why I'm like that. 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

are you sure you even want to watch a tv series?  It sounds like a movie would be more up your alley?  No dragging on 

Maybe? I like how a movie wraps it up in 1.5-2.5 hours but it is also a commitment of 1.5-2.5 hours. I think I'm at a stage in life where, if it was actually attention grabbing for me, I could commit to a 45 minute episode a few times a week 

• Like 1

Netflix:

More comedic series I enjoyed are Kim's Convenience, New Girl,  One Day at a Time, Atypical, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. These do get serious at times. 

More serious series:

1 Season (like a mini-series): Queen's Gambit, Alias Grace, Cook of Castimar, Stay Close, Maid, Watership Down, 

more than 1 season: Last Kingdom (my favorite), Anne with an E, Shtisel, Stranger Things

18 hours ago, Clarita said:

13 hours ago, Danae said:

The Expanse just finished off with season six. And worth every minute.

OMG People who have watch The Expanse CAN WE BE BEST FRIENDS??? No one I know watched it, not even my family, not even dd who spent 7th grade watching every episode of Star Trek Voyager (who does that?).

TBH, I didn't even like it when I started watching, and was mostly watching it so I could text other dd that I was watching a crappy show that starred Warren Peace from Sky High (Steven Strait). Then I got hooked about the time Umma from Kim's Convenience (Jean Yoon) showed up as a badass. Now I own all the books, listen to the podcast, and totally fangirl about it.

As for the OP, I'd choose something really short. If you want plot twists then The Good Place or maybe X Company (the latter because now I'm thinking about outstanding Canadian actors). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mom31257 said:

@Ann.without.an.e, I'm curious if you ever found a show you liked enough to stay with it. 

I haven’t 😭

But I also haven’t really tried very hard. I would love to have something I watch (just me) but the last few weeks have been busy. 
I started expanse but fell asleep. I was just super tired that night.

• Like 2

Just thought I’d add, DH and I started the series All Creatures Great and Small with ds and it’s really good. If I watch something with DH, we can watch an episode like once every two weeks because he works a lot and goes to bed early. That’s why I wanted something for just me 😂. DH and I usually watch movies because of that and not a series. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Just thought I’d add, DH and I started the series All Creatures Great and Small with ds and it’s really good. If I watch something with DH, we can watch an episode like once every two weeks because he works a lot and goes to bed early. That’s why I wanted something for just me 😂. DH and I usually watch movies because of that and not a series. 

Love ACGAS!!   PBS has some really good shows.  My kids liked Around the World in 80 Days too.    I watch so many PBS shows some of them I don't remember the titles of

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Love ACGAS!!   PBS has some really good shows.  My kids liked Around the World in 80 Days too.    I watch so many PBS shows some of them I don't remember the titles of

I’ll have to keep that in mind. If I can find something that DS (almost 13) and I can watch together then it’s easier to keep up with than with DH. DH just doesn’t have a lot of down time for tv. Something about watching an episode once or twice a month makes me lose interest 😂

• Like 2

@Ann.without.an.e, I hope you don't feel pressured by me asking! I was just really curious.  I recently started watching Ghosts, and I'm really enjoying it! But it is a new series, and I have no idea how long it will last. The episodes are about 22 minutes, which is really nice. 

Dh and will watch some stuff together, and he doesn't want to watch as often as I do. We watched Madam Secretary that way, like one episode a week or so. It worked well for that. 

• Like 1

There's a British comedy called Black Books. It's only 3 seasons. The IT Crowd is great, too. 

Canadian comedies, Corner Gas and Kim's Convenience

As a rule, non-US TV series tend to have fewer episodes per season than US series, plus they usually have fewer seasons. You've got a better chance of not getting sick of the series before it ends if you avoid long-running US series. 🤣

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I’ll have to keep that in mind. If I can find something that DS (almost 13) and I can watch together then it’s easier to keep up with than with DH. DH just doesn’t have a lot of down time for tv. Something about watching an episode once or twice a month makes me lose interest 😂

My kids watched ACGAS too and love it.  They were 6-15 when they watched both of the shoes.  A bit above the 6 year old of course, but it is hard to find things all of them will sit and watch together.  My teens love both of those shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom31257 said:

@Ann.without.an.e, I hope you don't feel pressured by me asking!

Not at all, it just made me realize how little down time I've had lately lol. 

I loved 80 Days Around the World on PBS! Your 13 year old might enjoy it. 

I've never watched it, but my kids love Avatar the Last Air Bender, even now as adults. And Legend of Korra is part of that, too. 

Oh those all sound good. I'm always looking for things to watch with him so thanks 🙂 

@Ann.without.an.e, is your son a Star Wars fan, and do you have Disney+?

We do have Disney +. He is a Star Wars fan but I am not lol. I cannot stay awake in a Star Wars movie ever so I know very little about the story line. He watched Mandalorian with DH over a period of time and he is trying to get DH to watch the newer one with him now 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

There's a British comedy called Black Books. It's only 3 seasons. The IT Crowd is great, too. 

Canadian comedies, Corner Gas and Kim's Convenience

As a rule, non-US TV series tend to have fewer episodes per season than US series, plus they usually have fewer seasons. You've got a better chance of not getting sick of the series before it ends if you avoid long-running US series. 🤣

That is a good thing to know about non-US shows. 

On 3/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, Ann.without.an.e said:

First of all, I don't watch very much TV, just too busy I guess. Lately I feel like I'd like to have something I can just wind down to some evenings, but I've always lost interest in a series and never finished one. Over the years I've started things like 24, Alias, Friends, HIMYM, Big Bang, Everybody Loves Raymond, Manifest, Lost, etc, etc, I could go on.

I started A Handmaid's Tale and even though it is dark, I'm a little glued. Not sure at what point I'll lose interest. I hate storylines that just drag out forever or are super predictable. I love things with some depth and meaning or something unexpected. Some of my favorite movies are About Time, Love Rosie, Arrival. 

I think I liked Love, Rosie because I clicked on the title with no clue what it was, had never heard of it nor did I see a trailer. I hate knowing the whole plot line of a movie and my mom will always say "ooh, you have to watch this" and then commence to tell me everything and I refuse to watch it after that. 

Would y'all like to suggest a tv series that doesn't drag out for a bazillion seasons that you think I may enjoy and be able to stick to and finish? A challenge of sorts 😁

Have you watched Schitts Creek? It only has six seasons and the characters really change and grow in that time. You get a nice planned finish before it gets tiring and fizzles out. The first time I tried to watch it I quit after two episodes because I did not like those people. It turns out that that’s the whole point. They get better and the show gets better. 

• Like 4

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

Have you watched Schitts Creek? It only has six seasons and the characters really change and grow in that time. You get a nice planned finish before it gets tiring and fizzles out. The first time I tried to watch it I quit after two episodes because I did not like those people. It turns out that that’s the whole point. They get better and the show gets better. 

My oldest  dd doesn’t usually watch much tv but she just binge watched this show and said about the same thing you did. She never binge watches anything so maybe it’s worth a try 🙂

On 3/31/2022 at 11:19 PM, Ann.without.an.e said:

I LOVE when a movie or tv show can surprise me. I think because my brain is always analyzing and I often see the twists or outcomes ahead of time. If a tv or show can actually surprise me or throw me for a loop then I'm all in. 

There are some excellent 6 part British mystery series, such as River (was on Netflix). There are some good twists throughout the series,  with a good wrap up. The Bay is also really good.  There are 3 seasons, but only 6 episodes per season,  with surprises and a clean result at the end.  Broadchurch is also good. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

• Ann.without.an.e changed the title to Update: I've never finished a TV series, challenge me to :)

Ok so I accidentally finished a show. There is this little Netflix show called Lost in Space that dh and I were watching with youngest ds. We just finished the last season (season 3) and then realized it was the end of the series. 

I've also watched Wanda Vision (amazing y'all) and it has to be one of the best things Marvel has ever made and we're huge marvel fans here.

I don't watch a lot and def don't watch alone very often. My biggest issue is that I fall asleep haha. So when I'm alone, I have been watching things on my Mac sitting at the kitchen counter or dining table and that has helped a ton.

Currently watching

With DH and DS - Around the World in 80 Days (this is great!)

All Creatures Great and Small (we were watching this with dd before she was married so idk if we will keep on just the three of us or wait on nights she is here). 

Only Murders in the Building (I've been puttering through this one alone)

Sometimes I put New Girl on when I'm working on something just because it is light and funny and short. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just have to put in my customary plug for Schitt’s Creek. Power through the first few episodes, they are setting things up. You will not like the characters at first.

Did you already nix Star Trek? I didn’t read every post, so disregard if you want, but Star Trek Discovery on Paramount+ was great. I am not a huge Star Wars girl, but Star Trek is my thing. 

Expanse (you said you started that) really changes tone after season 1, and gets better and better.

How about Heartstopper? I have an LGBTQ kid, so it hit home differently for me, but oh my goodness, such a sweet show. DH, kid and I watch it together and by episode three we were cheering, and talking to the TV, and simultaneously tense and happy. It’s well done. Just one season out, though it’s renewed for more.

• Thanks 1