Menu

Is it weird to wear a dress to a theme park?

HomeAgain

Possibly a no brainer question, but we're split on this around here.

DH and I are tentatively planning a trip to a theme park in June.  JUNE.  I hate the idea of doing it in summer but the rest of the family is on board.  It'll be about 95 degrees while we're there.  If we do end up doing this, I'd rather pack a few knee length sun dresses and supportive sandals to go with rather than shorts or pants.  Friends are horrified that I'd wear dresses to go on rides.  Not that it hasn't been done since at least 1955, but still. And I don't ride anything that goes upside down.

So, in your opinion, is this a really bad idea or should I go for it?

• Like 1

Well, I’d say wear whatever you’re comfortable with wearing for sure! If there’s one golden rule about theme parks, it’s to shoot for comfort above all else. With that said, a dress would absolutely NOT be comfortable to *me*, for a multitude of reasons—I would hate my legs getting sweaty and my thighs touching, I would worry about getting in and out of rides (where you often lift your legs to step up, over and into), and I wouldn’t want a dress sticking to me after water rides. However, if none of that applies to you, then go for it!

• Like 12

I do dresses and legging shorts frequently in summer. Part of that is that I teach an age where sitting on the floor-or the ground-is not uncommon, but part of that is that it’s usually cooler.

Also. If you look at DisneyBounding (dressing up to inspire a character or movie, but not in a way that would make visiting kids think you’re a costumed character), dresses are common there. 

• Like 4

I would but with some kind of bike shorts under it. Sundresses are often the coolest thing for me and there are lots of sporty styles made with quick drying fabric that are totally practical. But I wouldn’t be comfortable without some kind of coverage under. But you can wear whatever you want. I am sure I have never been to a theme park and not encountered a group of dresses only/ long skirt women. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3

I have a couple of lightweight tunic dresses, just above the knee, that I would wear with capri leggings under those circumstances. I actually am more comfortable in the leggings than shorts. However if I was going on water rides, I would instead wear my swim capri leggings, and long swim top so that I would dry out faster.

• Like 3

Thanks, all! I am going for quick drying fabrics and bringing a light linen or cotton cardigan for shows/evenings.  Chafing isn't an issue, but regulating body temp is, so I might have to take that into consideration.  If anything, the hotel is a short walk out the gate so I can change to pants if needed.

If I was born 20 years later, I'm quite certain I'd have been diagnosed with some sort of sensory overload.  Bike shorts/leggings underneath are a no-go because of the extra seams and bulk at joints or nerves. Most of what I wear is seamless or is very soft.  Crowds are rough for me also, but the more I minimize on-my-body discomfort, the more I can focus around the external discomforts, like noise and lots of people, and put emphasis on small details I can enjoy.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Danae said:

Keep in mind that there are some rides where you straddle the seat. As long as your skirt can accommodate that you should be fine.

Oh, definitely!  From what I can tell, that won't be an issue here.  I'll keep it in mind, though. 

About that sensory overload thing—I was like that, and hated skorts because of it.  I don’t love cut offs, which tend to give me chafing.  For quite a few years I have hiked in skirts—now, granted, they are quick dry technical hiking skirts, but still—kind of weird.  (Easy to pee behind a tree in though.). Anyway, I’ve discovered, to my surprise, that Skirt Sports skorts are comfortable to me.  Actually, VERY comfortable.  I think it is because the shorts part is a stretchy, legging type material so it doesn’t bunch up at all, and I like the little skirt over it which skims my bumps and lines.  These have awesome pockets as well.  It’s all I wear to go running these days.  You might give them a try.  

I find that brand pricy, but tried them when they had a huge sale, and was hooked.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

About that sensory overload thing—I was like that, and hated skorts because of it.  I don’t love cut offs, which tend to give me chafing.  For quite a few years I have hiked in skirts—now, granted, they are quick dry technical hiking skirts, but still—kind of weird.  (Easy to pee behind a tree in though.). Anyway, I’ve discovered, to my surprise, that Skirt Sports skorts are comfortable to me.  Actually, VERY comfortable.  I think it is because the shorts part is a stretchy, legging type material so it doesn’t bunch up at all, and I like the little skirt over it which skims my bumps and lines.  These have awesome pockets as well.  It’s all I wear to go running these days.  You might give them a try.  

I find that brand pricy, but tried them when they had a huge sale, and was hooked.

Ah, thanks!  I found one of their "longer" skirts on sale in my size, so I'm going to give it a try! 

I also think you're very brave to hike in shorts/skirts. 😄

• Like 1

I often prefer dresses in the summer too. I also don't like to ride any rides that are very intense so I'd not have a big deal wearing a dress to a theme park.

Fwiw I wear yoga shorts under skirts and dresses. They are super soft and only have a seam at the waist. I bought them years ago so no idea on brands but might be something to look into.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Oooooooooo says Faith as she runs off to take a look at them.😁

• Like 1

It's fine. 🙂  I only wear skirts in the summer and have been to plenty of fairs and a theme park in them. As long as you don't ride any upside down rides or climb on high play structures (did that once, oops), it's no problem. 

Plus you'll look cute in pictures. 🙂 

• Like 1

Sundresses and such are normal BUT I'd worry about thigh chafing if it was me. That would be terrible. I'd definitely wear some kind of slip shorts or something to prevent thigh chafing - I get horrid "chub rub" if I walk that much in a dress while sweaty and hot. SO painful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Thanks, all! I am going for quick drying fabrics and bringing a light linen or cotton cardigan for shows/evenings.  Chafing isn't an issue, but regulating body temp is, so I might have to take that into consideration.  If anything, the hotel is a short walk out the gate so I can change to pants if needed.

If I was born 20 years later, I'm quite certain I'd have been diagnosed with some sort of sensory overload.  Bike shorts/leggings underneath are a no-go because of the extra seams and bulk at joints or nerves. Most of what I wear is seamless or is very soft.  Crowds are rough for me also, but the more I minimize on-my-body discomfort, the more I can focus around the external discomforts, like noise and lots of people, and put emphasis on small details I can enjoy.

I definitely have sensory issues -  I have a kid that is diagnoses and I'm WAY worse than him. These leggings are the best for that - super soft, very very thin/light weight so not compressing (If I wear regular athletic style I have to take them off after a few hours at most cause I can "feel" them too much), etc. Just the absolute most comfortable clothing I've ver worn  - just SO SO SO soft. 

I just got back from an author event where I wore jeans and a real bra...first thing I did is put on these pants and a seamless sportsbra. After all the people around me I needed my soft clothing! 

I know you said leggings are hard for you, but these really might be worth trying - they are not super expensive and have free returns. I've got several other people wearing them. https://amzn.to/3J3cCke

• Like 2

I've spent lots of time in Amusement parks.   In the last two years, four trips to WDW and USF, a week or two long each.  In addition to season passes to Six Flags Over Texas.   So, yeah, lots of hot park days.    I am also bothered a bit by clothing.   As in I'll wear socks inside out if they aren't gold-toe.    At home, when I'm cold I'll wear a sweat shirt inside out so no seams and the softer side is next to my skin.   My absolute favorite outfit is 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKLMKPT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

under a peasant skirt, or also called a broomstick skirt.  The skirt is made from a gauzy fabric so is cooler than shorts since it keeps the sun off without holding in heat.   I know you said you don't like under shorts, but I think you'd like these high quality ones.  As you can see, there isn't a seam to bug you.   If you go up a size, I swear you'll forget they are there.   

If you don't have one of these skirts they are easy to make for even non-sewers.   Find some gauzy fabric 60" wide with edges that  don't look too bad.  The length you buy should be 2-3x your waist measurement.   Sew the ends together.  Fold the tube in half over a thick string, and sew the fabric onto the string, but where you aren't sewing the string.  Wash and then squeeze the skirt into a tube.   I'll usually hang the top end of the tube on a pants hanger, and use the strings to wrap around to keep it in the tube shape.   But, the traditional method is to wrap the skirt around a broomstick.  Since the selvage didn't look too bad, you can probably skip hemming.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shawthorne44 said:

I've spent lots of time in Amusement parks.   In the last two years, four trips to WDW and USF, a week or two long each.  In addition to season passes to Six Flags Over Texas.   So, yeah, lots of hot park days.    I am also bothered a bit by clothing.   As in I'll wear socks inside out if they aren't gold-toe.    At home, when I'm cold I'll wear a sweat shirt inside out so no seams and the softer side is next to my skin.   My absolute favorite outfit is 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKLMKPT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

under a peasant skirt, or also called a broomstick skirt.  The skirt is made from a gauzy fabric so is cooler than shorts since it keeps the sun off without holding in heat.   I know you said you don't like under shorts, but I think you'd like these high quality ones.  As you can see, there isn't a seam to bug you.   If you go up a size, I swear you'll forget they are there.   

If you don't have one of these skirts they are easy to make for even non-sewers.   Find some gauzy fabric 60" wide with edges that  don't look too bad.  The length you buy should be 2-3x your waist measurement.   Sew the ends together.  Fold the tube in half over a thick string, and sew the fabric onto the string, but where you aren't sewing the string.  Wash and then squeeze the skirt into a tube.   I'll usually hang the top end of the tube on a pants hanger, and use the strings to wrap around to keep it in the tube shape.   But, the traditional method is to wrap the skirt around a broomstick.  Since the selvage didn't look too bad, you can probably skip hemming.  

I have at least one broomstick skirt in my closet. 🙂

The problem with wearing something under is that it creates extra bulk right at or above my hip bone, When I said joints, oh, boy.  I meant joints.  Things that end at my wrists, elbows, back of my knee, ankle, waist, and even my neck are going to irritate me.  I don't wear jewelry, capris, and minimize contact everywhere else.   Underwear is soft and seamless.   Wearing shorts and a skirt and having them both layering on my waist/hip is a no-go, but one is doable.  Like, pretend I'm a 4yo child.  😄 I'm not going to throw a tantrum, but it'll annoy me. 

I have a couple of dresses already that fit the bill so I think I'll put a tag on the hangers to remind me to pack them.  I'll also bring a few pairs of pants, just in case.  

On the upside, I don't chafe, and everything I plan on taking is knee length or so, which means they'll be long enough.  Up next will be finding sandals that can take 8-10 mile walks per day without killing my feet. 🙂

• Like 1

Oh I totally would, that would be way more comfortable to me than shorts actually though I wear like skimmy shorts underneath.  That prevents thigh chafing issue for me, for a long day I might use some vaseline or desitin or something as well.  Not everyone has that issue.    If it works for you, I can't imagine why anyone else is commenting.  

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I have at least one broomstick skirt in my closet. 🙂

The problem with wearing something under is that it creates extra bulk right at or above my hip bone, When I said joints, oh, boy.  I meant joints.  Things that end at my wrists, elbows, back of my knee, ankle, waist, and even my neck are going to irritate me.  I don't wear jewelry, capris, and minimize contact everywhere else.   Underwear is soft and seamless.   Wearing shorts and a skirt and having them both layering on my waist/hip is a no-go, but one is doable.  Like, pretend I'm a 4yo child.  😄 I'm not going to throw a tantrum, but it'll annoy me. 

I have a couple of dresses already that fit the bill so I think I'll put a tag on the hangers to remind me to pack them.  I'll also bring a few pairs of pants, just in case.  

On the upside, I don't chafe, and everything I plan on taking is knee length or so, which means they'll be long enough.  Up next will be finding sandals that can take 8-10 mile walks per day without killing my feet. 🙂

Oh, I could NOT wear a skirt and shorts - two waist bands would kill me! But I can and do under a dress - one without a waistband. But only really really soft stuff - not the compression style. More like...soft t-shirt feeling material maybe, or pajama material. Soft and cozy without restricting me. 

I also have to wear capris that don't ride up to my knee, or hit at the ankle - so I totally get what you mean. These hit me above the ankle, but below the big part of the calf, so they don't ride up. Heck, I can't even wear a regular collared t-shirt - has to be a scoop or v-neck or I feel like I'm choking. 

Edited by ktgrok

8 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Up next will be finding sandals that can take 8-10 mile walks per day without killing my feet. 

🙂

I've worn keens all day in the parks several times - the biggest thing about shoes is Do NOT wear the same shoes every day. Switch between shoes to avoid hotspots, pressure points, blisters, etc. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I wear these Skechers sandals to Universal all the time. I can walk in them all day and not have tired feet/legs/back. 

• Like 1

Oooooooo...I LOVE the threads about summer shoes and sandals! I know this  one isn’t technically one, buuuut since sandals were mentioned...lol.

Everyone has their favorites of course, but my theme park favorites are these. Unfortunately, they are hard to find now in multiple colors and prices, but I actually have these exact ones and love, love them. I’ve had Keens, Chaco, Birkenstock, etc—I've tried them all and had everyone’s favorites, but these are my hands-down winner! Fwiw, my feet are flat and need a bit of support (ie gentle molding) but not too much or it hurts my arch. (So no vionics for me, or birks again even though I want a pair so badly!)

My favorite amusement park shoes are Birkencrocs.   That is their nickname because they are Birkenstocks made like Crocs.   Entering that in Amazon search will find them.   I had a pair of real ones that I loved.   Then on the drive to Florida one of them apparently fell out of the car at a gas station.   In desperation I bought some like them at Walmart.   Shockingly, I like the Walmart ones just as much, except the color.    These are also good for days when it might rain or has rained and there are puddles.  

I always take at least three different types of shoes.  I have some sketchers walking shoes and some with a bouncy sole.  

ETA:  I have a high arch.   Your arch makes a big difference in what you find comfy.  

Edited by shawthorne44

On 3/12/2022 at 7:01 AM, HomeAgain said:

Possibly a no brainer question, but we're split on this around here.

DH and I are tentatively planning a trip to a theme park in June.  JUNE.  I hate the idea of doing it in summer but the rest of the family is on board.  It'll be about 95 degrees while we're there.  If we do end up doing this, I'd rather pack a few knee length sun dresses and supportive sandals to go with rather than shorts or pants.  Friends are horrified that I'd wear dresses to go on rides.  Not that it hasn't been done since at least 1955, but still. And I don't ride anything that goes upside down.

So, in your opinion, is this a really bad idea or should I go for it?

Wear what you are comfortable in. I'm sure I've done it because I went to Disney in HS when I hated wearing jeans and rarely wore pants. It is possible I put shorts under the dress to keep thighs from chafing together.

Edited by vonfirmath

On the topic of wearing something under a skirt or dress to prevent chafing, jockey has a product called skimmies made just for this purpose which are super light and comfortable.  They are stretchy so it's easy to just size up if you're in doubt and want to make sure they are extra comfy.  It's amazing how lightweight and cool these are.  They look like a shaper in the picture but they're NOT like a shaper at all.  They feel more just like wearing underwear, definitely doesn't have the bulk or feel of wearing a typical pair of shorts.  Just thought I'd throw that out there if it's helpful for anyone.  My 17 year old daughter loves them in the summer under dresses too.   

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-cooling-skimmies?color=9371

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A note on chafing (chub rub)... you don't need a special product to prevent it. If you use antiperspirant for your armpits, you can also use it to prevent perspiration and rubbing between your thighs. It's a standard part of summer hygiene for me!

3 hours ago, catz said:

On the topic of wearing something under a skirt or dress to prevent chafing, jockey has a product called skimmies made just for this purpose which are super light and comfortable.  They are stretchy so it's easy to just size up if you're in doubt and want to make sure they are extra comfy.  It's amazing how lightweight and cool these are.  They look like a shaper in the picture but they're NOT like a shaper at all.  They feel more just like wearing underwear, definitely doesn't have the bulk or feel of wearing a typical pair of shorts.  Just thought I'd throw that out there if it's helpful for anyone.  My 17 year old daughter loves them in the summer under dresses too.   

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-cooling-skimmies?color=9371

Thank you - just ordered a pair. Summer is almost here!

44 minutes ago, bolt. said:

A note on chafing (chub rub)... you don't need a special product to prevent it. If you use antiperspirant for your armpits, you can also use it to prevent perspiration and rubbing between your thighs. It's a standard part of summer hygiene for me!

I do this sometimes, but here in Florida I sweat through my antiperspirant pretty regularly. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, holy old thread, Batman!

Though if anyone is wondering how it turned out, I brought 6 dresses with me and wore 5 of them.  The 6th was a cotton, but the rest were quick dry sports fabrics and made me definitely the most comfortable in our group.  Dh and the kids were a bit jealous. 😄 We're considering going again next year and I'll be doing the same thing.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Wow, holy old thread, Batman!

Though if anyone is wondering how it turned out, I brought 6 dresses with me and wore 5 of them.  The 6th was a cotton, but the rest were quick dry sports fabrics and made me definitely the most comfortable in our group.  Dh and the kids were a bit jealous. 😄 We're considering going again next year and I'll be doing the same thing.

But what about the sandals?

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

But what about the sandals?

I rotated through shoes: sandals, running shoes, and thin trainers.  With so much walking, I wanted to not put the same exact pressure on my feet each day. The day we rode Splash Mountain I made sure to wear sandals, and I'm so glad I did.  The water was set to be very high and we gave up trying to keep dry at all.  DS and I both looked like drowned rats at the end of it.

• Like 3