Menu

Where are the Fritos?

Bootsie

I have been to several grocery stores, Target, and even 7-Eleven and can only find honey bbq fritos or ragin' hot fritos.  And I am in Texas--home to the Frito.

The one food that DD asked for while she was home was Frito pie.  I have been looking for Fritos for four days!  I hadn't realized I should have started my search months ago.

Hugs! So many chips are in short supply right now. I am in love with these Snyder's Cheddar Pretzel Pieces (or something like that), and they are mostly out of stock all the time. We found some a while back, and stocked up on like 10 bags or so, thinking that would last while they got their supply chain issues sorted out......but no. Down to one bag left (and I've been doing 1 bag a week, so it's been a good 10 weeks now....), and still/again -- not in stock. 

I hope you're able to find your dd's Fritos; there's nothing else quite as good for Frito pie, although in a pinch maybe the "scoops" tortilla chips. won't be the same flavor, really, but similar experience/mouth feel. 

• Like 1

I went on a major hunt a few weeks ago when we really wanted some for our chili. No major grocery store, Walmart, or target had them. Here’s where I found them:

-gas station (smaller, expensive but I really wanted them!)

-Aldi (had their brand for cheap and also had some Fritos scoops—out of the regular kind).

1 minute ago, momto3innc said:

I went on a major hunt a few weeks ago when we really wanted some for our chili. No major grocery store, Walmart, or target had them. Here’s where I found them:

-gas station (smaller, expensive but I really wanted them!)

-Aldi (had their brand for cheap and also had some Fritos scoops—out of the regular kind).

Same for Aldi here...I often buy there generic brand and feel it is a fair substitute, especially for a casserole. I make a chili casserole that calls for Fritos and they work just fine. 

There are such weird things missing from the shelves!  We have Fritos here (and a local store brand substitute that's identical).  But no corn dogs, curly fries, breaded frozen chicken, or eggnog.  Greek yogurt is beginning to be back on the shelf again more regularly, but still missing various cheeses.

Just a note- the first list isn't our usual diet. 😄 They're options right now in the "11yo learning to cook lunch for himself" part of our life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s been hit or miss with all sorts of chips over here.

Yesterday was ds’s birthday, and he wanted both flaming hot and jalapeño Cheetos. Walmart only offered me 6 small bags of flaming hot in place of one larger bag of each.
(But they gave me a big bag of regular Cheetos for myself in place of a small one, lol!)

Dh has seriously refused to believe me about most weird food supply issues… and then he had trouble tracking down the last box in the world of some brand of holiday beers  (or so it would seem) and now he sort of believes me. @@.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Hugs! So many chips are in short supply right now. I am in love with these Snyder's Cheddar Pretzel Pieces (or something like that), and they are mostly out of stock all the time. We found some a while back, and stocked up on like 10 bags or so, thinking that would last while they got their supply chain issues sorted out......but no. Down to one bag left (and I've been doing 1 bag a week, so it's been a good 10 weeks now....), and still/again -- not in stock. 

I hope you're able to find your dd's Fritos; there's nothing else quite as good for Frito pie, although in a pinch maybe the "scoops" tortilla chips. won't be the same flavor, really, but similar experience/mouth feel. 

Yes!

I was at Walmart a month or two ago and overheard the Lay's vendor say it was the worst he'd ever seen as far as being able to get product, and that they only anticipated it getting worse. I thought things were getting better recently, but last week I was in the (not Walmart) grocery store and noticed that their chip/snack aisle was depleted. DS23 loves the Snyder's PB filled pretzels, and those have been very hard to find, too.

Not sure about current availability, but Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Natural Grocers usually have other brands of corn chips that taste similar to Fritos but are organic, non GMO, etc. I’ve seen several different brands that are labeled as corn chips or corn dippers. 

• Like 2

We couldn’t find Fritos a few weeks ago.  They didn’t even have the little bags by the register.  It seems to be better now, I haven’t had a problem finding them more recently.  Sometimes it seems rather random what the stores are out of.  Thankfully it hasn’t been as bad as at the beginning of the pandemic.  I can usually find what I wanted a week or 2 later.

18 minutes ago, happi duck said:

What is Frito Pie?

Oh! I think it's a Texas thing. 

You make a bed of Fritos, top with chili (similar to the Wolf brand chili) (we use the one with beans), and then cheddar cheese (shredded). It started off as a "walking taco" kind of thing (you can make it in the actual single serve bag of Fritos if you want), and then just took off. 

Delicious junk food that can serve as dinner if you're more adventurous. we always offer it along with hot dogs when we do hotdogs. (rarely, but happens). 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Oh! I think it's a Texas thing. 

You make a bed of Fritos, top with chili (similar to the Wolf brand chili) (we use the one with beans), and then cheddar cheese (shredded). It started off as a "walking taco" kind of thing (you can make it in the actual single serve bag of Fritos if you want), and then just took off. 

Delicious junk food that can serve as dinner if you're more adventurous. we always offer it along with hot dogs when we do hotdogs. (rarely, but happens). 

That was a staple on the school lunch menu when dh and I were kids (Midwest in the 80s). It was just called Frito chili, though. I never realized it was the same thing as Frito pie.

• Like 1

To the OP - in TN a friend had a problem finding Fritos a few months ago but somebody in a different part of town was able to get them and bring her some.   I'm noticing that companies like Trader Joes and Whole Foods, which often had only their own brand of some products, have been making changes that I assume are based on availability.   

To others asking about Frito Pie - it's popular in New Mexico, too.  Here in TN, they are called petros.  There is a local chain that sells them in a cup - fritos topped with chili and then assorted other optional toppings. 

I just mailed Fritos to my grandma in Texas! At Thanksgiving she was lamenting that she couldn’t find the original style. I found them at my Kroger, fully stocked, so I got her some. I was wondering if they are baked by a different plant or sold through a different distributor in my part of the country. 

The thing I can’t get here are pretzels. We always dip pretzel rods in white chocolate as a Christmas tradition. This year I’m not being picky about shape or brand and can’t find them at all. Fortunately my kids will be happy making something else. 

I've seen Fritos here, but not the lower salt variety we prefer. The things I can't get right now are any Top Ramen flavor other than beef, dd's bag of frozen turkey sausage links, breakfast Hot Pockets (picky eater will eat these), and I have difficulty finding our Belvita flavors. I finally bought the ginormous Costco box which is more than we need, but I'm tired of not being able to get them at the grocery store.

Wow--I didn't realize this was so widespread or I would have started searching for Fritos weeks ago.  I have told several friends to be on the lookout in nearby towns.  It has become somewhat of a joke and a hunt around here--if anyone in our family finds some, they will probably be wrapped up as Christmas gifts under the tree.  

Flavored ones don't seem to be hard to find, but plain, old-fashioned Fritos--a mainstay in Texas--have just disappeared.  It seems as if the flavored would be part of the same supply chain.  

We got some Trader Joe's version to try.  We can eat chili with tortilla chips or crackers--it is just that DD has come from Austria where she has to make those types of substitutions for her Frito Pie whenever she wants to fulfill her craving and was hoping to get the real thing in Texas.  

On 12/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, Selkie said:

Not sure about current availability, but Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Natural Grocers usually have other brands of corn chips that taste similar to Fritos but are organic, non GMO, etc. I’ve seen several different brands that are labeled as corn chips or corn dippers. 

We dont have any of those stores here. 

We found Fritos in Fiesta today!!!!  But now, the one thing DS asked for was homemand cranberry sauce (I didn't even know he liked it), and there were no cranberries to be found, despite going to five stores...  did finally find some fresh made cranberry sauce at Central Market, so that will have to do.  Next year I will know to start early with the basics.

• Like 2