Menu

Older tv shows

saraha

Throughout the pandemic, we have been ordering dvds from the library because our only tv is streaming, but there is always someone needing the internet for classes and we can’t do both at the same time. We have been focusing on older family shows that I don’t have to preview for content.

So far we have watched all the seasons of:

car 54, the munsters, the Addams family, I love Lucy, little rascals, he greatest American hero (which is hysterical!!!) father knows best, hardy boys and nancy drew (so now we own a Shaun Cassidy record 😆) eerie Indiana, and we are now working through the partridge family. 

I am in need of some new shows and welcome any suggestions. We’ve avoided little house on the prairie due to concerns here. I am looking for all ages shows that need no parental involvement whatsoever. Squeaky clean as it were that might be interesting to 11-19.

thanks!

My girls & I enjoyed Kung Fu together.  They were younger, and we did need to discuss things related to racism and other realities of history.  Ages 11-19 would probably not need all of those conversations.

Another, perhaps less controversial series we have enjoyed together:  Bewitched.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

The Andy Griffith Show was a favorite here for awhile.  

Do you have the Pluto tv app?  I have it on my firestick.  It is free and has a lot of old tv show channels.  

I forgot Andy Griffith, we watched those too. We don’t have Pluto and need to use dvds. Maybe I can find a way to see a list of old shows.

Does anyone remember any squeaky clean 80s shows?

33 minutes ago, saraha said:

I forgot Andy Griffith, we watched those too. We don’t have Pluto and need to use dvds. Maybe I can find a way to see a list of old shows.

Does anyone remember any squeaky clean 80s shows?

You might want to give you definition of “squeaky clean” to us make suggestions.  It can mean a bit different to people.  

• Like 2

Based on your list: The Doris Day Show, Andy Griffith, Partridge Family, Family Affair, My Three Sons, The Courtship of Eddie's Father 

80s family shows, with the caveat that most will have the occasional Very Special Episode that might address drinking or whatever, but super duper on the BAD! side of things. I'd be okay with any of these for your age groups: Punky Brewster, Silver Spoons, Quantum Leap, Wonder Years, Perfect Strangers, Full House, Family Ties, Family Matters, Webster

• Like 1

Kung Fu

Hogan's Heros

Doby Gillis (my husband's favorite from when he was that age.)

Carol Burnett (variety)

Get Smart (the series was clean - the movie, not)

I dream of Jeannie

Bewitched

Emergency (fun fact - their script writers were required by the consultant to have realistic rescue/treatment scenarios. They were not happy.  They used actual emergency responder reports. It was the easiest show they ever wrote for.  The FD consultant made the two actors playing the paramedics do the three month (that's all it was then) training course so they'd look like they knew what they were doing. - they didn't actually take the tests.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Kung Fu

Hogan's Heros

Carol Burnett (variety)

I dream of Jeannie

Bewitched

Emergency (fun fact - their script writers were required by the consultant to have realistic rescue/treatment scenarios. They were not happy.  They used actual emergency responder reports. It was the easiest show they ever wrote for.  The FD consultant made the two actors playing the paramedics do the three month (that's all it was then) training course so they'd look like they knew what they were doing. - they didn't actually take the tests.)

I'd forgotten all about Get Smart and Carol Burnett!!! I loved those!

Also, what about Gilligan's Island?

• Like 1

Mythbusters.  And some of my kids love Planet Earth, which isn't a TV show, but it'll fill an afternoon of pandemic boredom just fine. 

Thank you for this thread, by the way, we have also watched everything and need new ideas. 

ETA What about old cartoons, like Tom and Jerry, or Chip and Dale?  

Edited by thewellerman
  • Like 1

The Bionic Man

The Bionic Woman 

Admittedly I don’t remember many details. There were occasional romances but I don’t recall on screen shenanigans.

Also - Murder She Wrote and Matlock 

Gilligan’s Island

What about Rogers & Hammerstein musicals like Brigadoon & Carousel? I don’t remember plots beyond them being romances & occasional kissing. 

There are a lot of British comedies on PBS - maybe someone can recommend some. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, katilac said:

OP, remember you can pop any title into commonsense media for a quick check. If people rec it as family-friendly and then it says 10+ or whatever, you're probably good. 

Common sense media has missed OMGs in over half the movies we've watched.

Literal oh-my-gods? The TV ratings aren't as specific as the movie ones - they do cover language, but I'm not sure if the occasional OMG would show up or not. 

There's no way to know if you (generic parent) are okay with every episode in an entire series, I don't think. 

• Like 1

Mary Tyler Moore 

Green Acres  (genuinely hilarious) 

petticoat Junction 

my Three Sons 

Hayley Mills Parent Trap movie

muppets 

dick van dyke 

bonanza 

Patty duke 

I’ll think of more   

The monkees

herbie movies.  

older live action Disney.  70s on back. 

waltons 

Maybe Maverick.  
bullwinkle.  The bonus here is that it works in kid and adult level.  I liked it better as an adult! 

get Smart 

Edited by Resilient
Add
  • Like 2

Did anyone say The Waltons? It's been decades since I watched it.

Get Smart was hilarious. So was The Monkees (Did y'all see that Mike Nesmith just died? So sad)

Make Room for Daddy (with Danny Thomas)

Gilligan's Island

Old Laurel and Hardy movies

The Three Stooges

Looney Tunes

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 1

Newheart.   Also the Bob Newheart show but Newheart (with the 3 brothers named Daryl) was better.

I second get smart, Dr Quinn and Brady bunch.  We are planning to try Life Goes On because a close family friend just had a down syndrome child and it reminded me of it. I don't remember it though. 

I like Cosby show a lot.  I struggle to watch it since the scandal broke however. We have a few times and I just focus on the characters and not the actor. 

Seventh Heaven is good. 

Heartland if your library has it. Also When Calls the Heart. These are the only two currently made shows that we watch. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I'd forgotten all about Get Smart and Carol Burnett!!! I loved those!

Also, what about Gilligan's Island?

They did a fabulous skit/take-off on Top Hat.  (And Gone with the wind.) - a lot of skits can be found on youtube.

For the series finale, they got "her favorite actor" (Jimmy Stewart) to come do a cameo as a surprise.  He played the Piano and sang. (Ragtime Cowboy Joe) - Her face as they opened the curtain was priceless.

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

LOL.  I secretly love Bewitched, but it is very sexist and also their relationship with alcohol is seriously disturbing.  

The actress who played Tabitha said they were actually drinking too.   Didn't start until after her scenes were finished. 

Part of that was a reflection of the age.  It became less sexist, but then Elizabeth Montgomery was getting tired of filming it and wanted to do other things.

Irony is - earlier years were sexist, later years had more drinking.

7 hours ago, thewellerman said:

Mythbusters.  And some of my kids love Planet Earth, which isn't a TV show, but it'll fill an afternoon of pandemic boredom just fine. 

Thank you for this thread, by the way, we have also watched everything and need new ideas. 

ETA What about old cartoons, like Tom and Jerry, or Chip and Dale?  

To go along with Mythbusters - Modern Marvels.  When dudeling was little, we got into it for trains and ships originally.  2ds got mad at me for deleting the episode on "dirt" before he got to see it. 

I will admit, it's where I first heard about McLaren's and Koenigsegg.  They're up to 21 seasons.

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

Remington Steel

yes - some suggestive at attempts at romance, but always failing.  I was sorry to see it end.  I wouldn't call it squeaky clean, but it was a great series.

I remember the episode with Cassandra Harris.  I didn't know who she was but was completely stunned by the chemistry between her and Pierce Brosnan (she was his first wife. Died from cancer.).   He got to demonstrate his acting chops.

5 hours ago, MercyA said:

Another vote for Brady Bunch. Cheesy but actually very well acted and sometimes very funny. Super clean.

I haven't watched it in years, but did watch the HGTV special where they did the house with the kids.  They were sharing behind the scenes memories too.

5 hours ago, AnotherNewName said:

The Beverly Hillbillies/thread

I watched it growing up.  (Loved granny).  Then I started watching it again last year.  I was shocked at the hollywood elite vibe of mocking "country hick folk" for their own entertainment.  I found it incredibly offensive. so, there's that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, katilac said:

That's the one thing with many older tv shows; the level of drinking and smoking is truly astonishing. 

And misogyny and racism and homophobia, and bullying, and, and, and…Older shows would have taken so much more filtering and discussion in my house, honestly. I find them shocking and disturbing by today’s standards. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Kung Fu

Hogan's Heros

Carol Burnett (variety)

I dream of Jeannie

Bewitched

My grandfather worked at Ward LaFrance in the 1970s and helped to design and build the pumper firetruck that is used in the Emergency series.  It was a real, working firetruck.

I met Randolph Mantooth, who played John Gage, about fifteen years ago at an EMS conference. He’s a genuinely nice person.  Since retiring from acting, he’s become a huge advocate for first responders. He’s lobbied frequently for increased pay, federal recognition and PTSD awareness.   

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 8

You guys are fantastic! Some of these I have watched with the losers and forgotten about, some I watched as a kid and forgotten about, some I’ve heard of and forgot about!

We wore out our first copy of sixties Batman when dd18 was young and had to buy another, we’ve also watched the tv series

I literally was just talking about Newheart the other day, the only thing I remember from that show was Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl! I said in a joke reference to dh, but neither of us could remember if the show would be ok for our list.

the kids never really got into Beverly hillbillies but I forgot about gilligans island!

you guys are just the best! I’m off to see what I can find from inter library loan!

I see a couple of people suggested Waltons.  I am not at all a fan of older TV shows, but Waltons is an exception.  We dragged this one out when dd was little and we were trying to find something the whole family could watch.  15 years later, dd still reminisces on how much she enjoyed that show.  

The only warning I would give is that I believe the series spun off from a movie called The Homecoming.  Or that might have been the pilot?  I don't know.  But there is a scene in which Elizabeth gets a gift from the church Christmas toy drive (against her parents' rules) and is gifted a damaged doll.  For some reason this was traumatizing to my dd and I actually remember it being traumatizing for me as a kid.  Not so much than anyone needs therapy, but just a heads up that skipping that one might be a good idea if you have sensitive viewers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My grandfather worked at Ward LaFrance in the 1970s and helped to design and build the pumper firetruck that is used in the Emergency series.  It was a real, working firetruck.

I met Randolph Mantooth, who played John Gage, about fifteen years ago at an EMS conference.  Since retiring from acting, he’s become a huge advocate for first responders. He’s lobbied frequently for increased pay, federal recognition and PTSD awareness.   

And the "actor" who drove it - was a real fireman.   The consultant told the producers, if they wanted to use the truck - they controlled who drove it.  (or they could buy their own truck.)

He had his own experiences - he had a slow CO2 leak in his house.  So, in the morning when he'd leave for work, he'd be acting like he was drunk or drugged.  It would improve during the day.  He encountered a cop before it was discovered, and he was treated like some typical hollywood actor doing drugs.  It actually took several days to recognize what was happening.  Fortunately - he spent most of his day outside of his house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I see a couple of people suggested Waltons.  I am not at all a fan of older TV shows, but Waltons is an exception.  We dragged this one out when dd was little and we were trying to find something the whole family could watch.  15 years later, dd still reminisces on how much she enjoyed that show.  

The only warning I would give is that I believe the series spun off from a movie called The Homecoming.  Or that might have been the pilot?  I don't know.  But there is a scene in which Elizabeth gets a gift from the church Christmas toy drive (against her parents' rules) and is gifted a damaged doll.  For some reason this was traumatizing to my dd and I actually remember it being traumatizing for me as a kid.  Not so much than anyone needs therapy, but just a heads up that skipping that one might be a good idea if you have sensitive viewers.

It may have been "just a movie" , or a Pilot.  Patrcia Neal was Mrs Walton in the movie.  I think that was just before her stroke, and that's why she was replaced for the series.

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

The movie, which was based on the book by the same name, was the pilot for the series. 🙂 My dc didn't get to watch it, because it was not released on VHS when my dc were little, and by the time it was on DVD, they were all grown up and doing other things. 🙂

• Like 1