Menu

Do all states have these college laws?

TheReader

Texas has 3 laws for college....enrollment? completion?....that annoy the ever living heck out of me (and I refuse to debate that), BUT it has me curious -- do all states have these rules? Or just Texas? 

Rule 1 -- 6 Drop Rule -- throughout your college career, across all public institutions, you may drop a total of 6 classes, period. You do have some exceptions where a drop won't count against you (medical, military, work schedule, full withdrawal from the semester). 

Rule 2 -- 3 Strikes Rule -- you get three attempts at any single course; if you don't pass it by the 3rd time, too bad. This counts attempts,  not just completed tries, so if you start, realize you are doing badly, drop, retry, etc. it counts in your 6 drops and in your 3 strikes rules, both.  If your drop was an exception to the 6 drop rule, the attempt still counts here as one of your 3 tries. 

Rule 3 -- 30 Hour Rule -- if you exceed your degree plan hours by more than 30 credit hours, you begin paying out of state tuition for the remainder. This also counts all attempted hours, including full semester withdrawals, failed courses, dropped courses, each try/repeat of a class, etc. Even if they were an exception to the drop rule, the attempts still count in your count here. 

Are these universal in the US, or is this just another special Texas thing? 

(and really seriously, debating these raises my blood pressure so I'd rather stick to just the question at hand, pretty please and not debate the merits or validity of these laws, just whether they do or don't exist everywhere) (thanks)

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I am unaware of these here in Michigan. I have two kids exceeded their degree needs, in terms of total credits earned, by slightly more than 30 hours due to changing majors from BS to BA in their sophomore years. We did not pay a financial penalty other than their scholarships were only good for four years, but they got lucky with departmental scholarships after switching majors which made up for it. I don't think there is a enter strikes rule because I know someone who had to take organic chem four times in order to pass it with a B for her BSRN program, and the only penalty was simply being stuck and unable to move forward with other classes/clinicals until.She passed it. I have never heard of any universal drop or add. These seem to be a matter of individual college policy.

We do not have that here in Colorado and now I’m kind of perturbed that I know they exist.

ETA: Wait, we do have to satisfy academic progress by having a 2.0 or higher each semester.  The dropped credits counted towards factoring your GPA at some point, can’t remember if they still do.  If you fall below a 2.0 you go on academic probation for a semester and after that, if you’re still below 2.0, you lose government funding. 

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 1

I have seen the 3 strikes rule at various colleges (CC and state universities) here in California. Doing a course a second time to pass doesn’t need special permission but a petition for approval is required for the 3rd attempt.

This is for the community colleges

https://www.cccco.edu/-/media/CCCCO-Website/About-Us/Divisions/Educational-Services-and-Support/Academic-Affairs/What-we-do/Curriculum-and-Instruction-Unit/Files/CreditCourseRepetitionGuidelinesFinal_pdf.ashx#page14

Alleviation of Substandard Academic Work (§§ 55040(b)(2), 55042)

Substandard academic work is course work for which a student is assigned a D, F, FW, NP or NC. The student may seek to alleviate prior substandard academic work by enrolling in the same course again.
Student enrollment limit: For courses that are not designated as repeatable, district policy may permit students to enroll in the course up to three times or until the student receives a satisfactory grade in that course, whichever comes first. District policy may permit a student to file a petition requesting to enroll a fourth time in the course to alleviate substandard work.”

Oregon State allows a maximum of 18 dropped courses, and a maximum of 4 attempts at the same course. I can't find anything about a maximum number of dropped courses at UO, but after 3 attempts at the same course students need prior approval to try again. 

I don't see anything about paying OOS tuition after a certain number of hours for either university. I know there is a limit of 150% of required hours for federal financial aid, but that would be 180 total hours for a degree with 120 required hours, so the limit of only 30 hours over seems really restrictive to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Dmmetler said:

30 hours over could be really restrictive if they count college classes completed in high school. It wouldn't be hard to exceed that with some extra classes taken to meet high school check boxes, plus maybe a major change. 

They don't count dual enrollment.  My dd started college in TX with 85 DE credits and it's not an issue.  

We live in OH and my older kids all attended Ohio schools - none had these requirements.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

Texas has 3 laws for college....enrollment? completion?....that annoy the ever living heck out of me (and I refuse to debate that), BUT it has me curious -- do all states have these rules? Or just Texas? 

Rule 1 -- 6 Drop Rule -- throughout your college career, across all public institutions, you may drop a total of 6 classes, period. You do have some exceptions where a drop won't count against you (medical, military, work schedule, full withdrawal from the semester). 

Rule 2 -- 3 Strikes Rule -- you get three attempts at any single course; if you don't pass it by the 3rd time, too bad. This counts attempts,  not just completed tries, so if you start, realize you are doing badly, drop, retry, etc. it counts in your 6 drops and in your 3 strikes rules, both.  If your drop was an exception to the 6 drop rule, the attempt still counts here as one of your 3 tries. 

Rule 1 does not apply to any courses undertaken with dual credit. And it is only for your undergraduate career.   It also does not apply to courses dropped before census day - or if you have to withdraw from all courses on semester. 

Rule 2 - I know that some majors already have something similar to this rule built in. For example. Electrical Engineering majors have two attempts to pass Circuits 1. You have to get departmental permission to take it a third time. I don't believe that is very often granted because if you failed it twice, you probably aren't going to make it in EE, and you do need to find another major. So, in many ways, this rule makes sense. A student could keep banging their head against a wall that will never move, or they could move on to another degree. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

They don't count dual enrollment.  My dd started college in TX with 85 DE credits and it's not an issue

Our dd was told it did matter and to be careful with which DE she chose to use as it could count against her. At TAMU, it's suggested students not select which DE credits to transfer until they have a couple of years under their belt to avoid having to many credit hours.

Edited by wilrunner
I'm speaking of only rule 3.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

30 hours over could be really restrictive if they count college classes completed in high school. It wouldn't be hard to exceed that with some extra classes taken to meet high school check boxes, plus maybe a major change. 

Students can choose which credits they want to use at their university, so there's a bit of flexibility. But if the students accept all their DE, it can cause problems later. At the TX  university one of my kids graduated from, there was a process to choosing and accepting which credits should transfer. I believe it was completed when she was a rising junior or 1st semester junior.

Edited by wilrunner
This is only referring to rule 3, not 1 or 2.

14 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Rule 1 does not apply to any courses undertaken with dual credit. And it is only for your undergraduate career.   It also does not apply to courses dropped before census day - or if you have to withdraw from all courses on semester. 

Rule 2 - I know that some majors already have something similar to this rule built in. For example. Electrical Engineering majors have two attempts to pass Circuits 1. You have to get departmental permission to take it a third time. I don't believe that is very often granted because if you failed it twice, you probably aren't going to make it in EE, and you do need to find another major. So, in many ways, this rule makes sense. A student could keep banging their head against a wall that will never move, or they could move on to another degree. 

Yes, there are some distinctions that should be made for majors pertaining to public safety. ABET for engineering controls this, not the colleges themselves, and in order to  maintain ABET certification, the rules must be met. These majors also tend to have weeded classes in order to help students not cut out for the program find out early on. Dd's lab partner for a freshman circuitry class dropped out four weeks into it since he was failing all of the exams and quizzes. He changed to an environmental science degree. But, the drop out rate at Ds's school was not high because they had strict standards for who could even start the program to begin with which helped.

Apart from those specific types of degrees, I don't think Michigan has state wide laws however it would not surprise me if our public universities all had somewhat similar policies. But I do know that the limit on 30 credits above the required 120-124 is definitely not a thing. Financial Aid may be limited for the extra coursework though.

No, other states don’t have these rules.  My cousin was effected by a math rule (requiring him to pass a math class within the first year or so of college), and he spent some time out-of-state and some time at a private Christian school in Texas.  

Edit: I assumed the 30 hour rule was something else.  My cousin had trouble passing a math class and had a cap on how many classes he could take without passing a math class.  

Edit:  I can’t say no other state does this, but at least 3 nearby states did not when it was an issue for my cousin.  

Edited by Lecka

26 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

Students can choose which credits they want to use at their university, so there's a bit of flexibility. But if the students accept all their DE, it can cause problems later. At the TX  university one of my kids graduated from, there was a process to choosing and accepting which credits should transfer. I believe it was completed when she was a rising junior or 1st semester junior.

College credits earned have to be transferred in, at least that was our experience. AP credits and that sort of thing can be selected or not, but transfer credits come in regardless and count towards all of the above regardless. 

I am unclear on which ones do/don't exclude stuff done as DE, because I thought it was that the 30 Hour limit excluded them, but not the drop rule, but then in looking it up I saw that the drop limit excludes them, so now I am unsure if the 30 hour limit excludes them as well or not. 

That does help, certainly, but it's still a law that I think catches a lot of folks it shouldn't. 

Thanks, y'all. 

This just makes me even more annoyed. :sigh:  It saddens me greatly that one of my kids is being negatively impacted by all of this, and I have no idea how to begin fighting the system to try and get these laws reversed. ha. An uphill losing battle, I'm sure, but it just upsets me. 

• Sad 1

We don't have a rule like this in MO. Students can attempt a course more than 3 times; however, grade replacement is only possible on the first repeat, all subsequent grades are on the transcript and go into the GPA.
There is no limit to how many credits a student can take for in-state tuition. That seems a totally stupid rule. What if a student attempts two different degrees? Do they then allow in-state only for the first degree?

ETA: I think a rule that limits the number of tries is a good one. In my home country, you get three tries. If you fail the same class a third time, you get removed from the major. It makes no sense having kids who need five times to pass calc 1 attempting an engineering degree.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheReader said:

College credits earned have to be transferred in, at least that was our experience. AP credits and that sort of thing can be selected or not, but transfer credits come in regardless and count towards all of the above regardless. 

I am unclear on which ones do/don't exclude stuff done as DE, because I thought it was that the 30 Hour limit excluded them, but not the drop rule, but then in looking it up I saw that the drop limit excludes them, so now I am unsure if the 30 hour limit excludes them as well or not. 

That does help, certainly, but it's still a law that I think catches a lot of folks it shouldn't. 

Maybe the difference between AP and DE is what's causing my confusion. I think the DE goes on the transcript, but the student can choose whether to apply it to their degree plan, thus counting towards the 30 hours.

I'm sorry they're negatively impacting your ds.:(

46 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

Our dd was told it did matter and to be careful with which DE she chose to use as it could count against her. At TAMU, it's suggested students not select which DE credits to transfer until they have a couple of years under their belt to avoid having to many credit hours.

That's really interesting since my dd had most of her DE 85 credits transfer towards her degree with no problem (yet - she's still in school so maybe I'm jinxing this).  

Interesting. 

No, not exactly.  But my kid is at a flagship university in a neighboring state and there are fairly strict requirements about being in good standing, having minimum GPAs etc to continue toward graduation and get financial aid.   The FA piece is stickier for sure - there are time limits and issues with dropping below a full load, etc. 

I know if you fail a class and retake it, that F will remain in your GPA so that is likely a bottleneck for some students.  I know in most departments, you need to get approval for a 3rd retake.  I actually don't think that is awful and makes sense for a lot of young people to have to sit down and be able to explain why it makes sense that they are continuing on this road.  

There is nothing about extra credits though.  My kid had a lot of DE in high school that won't count toward anything in particular.  My 2nd kid is in DE right now.  That seems weird if that is a hang up for sure!

I don't know if it's a law or school policy.  Ds was allowed one drop per year without consequence.  He only used it once - for a plasma physics (elective) class.  That class blew the law of averages out the window.  There were those who understood it - and everyone else.

• Like 1

I don’t think there are those rules in Maryland; I have never heard of any of them…although I can see the possibility of a three strikes rule. But really, no, probably not; if you’re willing to keep ponying up tuition, knock yourself out. I think. 

Florida has something like the 3rd one. My dd#1 decided against going to UCF partially due to their excess hour surcharge. Any credit hours over 120% of baseline for your major will be charged an excess credit hour surcharge (per credit hour). so, if your minor causes you to go over, too bad. DE doesn't count but transfer credits do. Not sure how that works for people like my kids who take classes but it isn't officially called "DE." (The college is very particular about what they call DE.)

• Like 1

I'm not sure about state laws, but there are rules about drops, retake, etc that differ in the degree programs at DDs University.   Some are really strict.   Others just almost assume a lot of students will need to retry a few times (hard engineering courses).  Some has to with not overloading,  so a good advisor is key to not signing up for too many hard classes at once.  I'm not positive,  but it seems like there were consequences such as probation one semester,  or you have to take a semester off and then reapply to the degree program with a specific degree plan, monitored by an advisor. 

I know there are times that these rules can hurt a student, but I think they are there to protect students from paying for too many courses they don't need, and continuing on a degree path they really aren't going to be able to do well.  You can want to be a Dr all you want, but if you can't pass Bio 1 and 2, you aren't going to be able to pass harder courses later on.  Having an advisor discuss other options can help you not waste time digging a hole of debt!

Also schools are graded on how many students graduate in a timely manner.  The goal isn't to get into college,  its to get out in a reasonable time with a degree.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

My understanding of the three-attempts rule in Texas is that after three unsuccessful attempts to complete a course a student can enroll in the course again but must pay out-of-state tuition for the course rather than receiving an in-state subsidized rate.  

Hmm, I'd love a link to that clarification if you have one; I've not come across that. 

5 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Hmm, I'd love a link to that clarification if you have one; I've not come across that. 

Policies & Procedures | UTSA Advising | UTSA | University of Texas at San Antonio

Here is a link at UTSA; I have seen similar policies at other schools; actually the added few kicks in here on the third try for a course (because state funding is decreased)

• Thanks 1

thanks, all, for chiming in. 

I do, on a rational level, understand some of the reasons for some of the things. 

They bother me greatly in that the exemptions for one aren't the exemptions for all.  So, for example, if you have two classes going badly in one semester, your advisors and all may, in fact, encourage you to withdraw completely rather than have 2 drops against your drop limit. The withdrawal does not count as drops. 

However, when you then retry those classes, that is already take 2 (b/c the previous w/drawal is not exempted from that rule), and assuming you do that whole semester over again, that's 15+ repeated credit hours automatically accruing towards your 30 Hour limit (b/c again, the w/drawal is not exempted from that one, either).  (Because in the 30 hr limit, all attempted hours count, so if you redo that exact semester, it counts as 30 attempted hours all by itself, even though the w/d doesn't count towards your drops or anything). 

I could go on, but that would be a bit oversharing, so I won't, but....you can see how the various exemptions not lining up causes more problems than the individual laws ought to/meant to on their own. 

And heaven forbid you realize partway in that you need to change your major.....let's say you do use your 3 tries and still can't get a C in the course. So, you are not eligible for your major anymore, but now you've got a lot of credits you can't use, and will be paying out of state for the remainder of your time. 

I'm glad to know it isn't this way in all states, as much as I'm even more annoyed that it IS this way in mine. 

• Sad 3

Some colleges have rules about how many times you can take a class.  I can see how the rules can have unintended consequences, but I could also see why some colleges have them.  My undergrad alma mater guaranteed that if you followed the degree plan (which courses you took each year) that you would always have a space in the classes that you needed - your progress would never be delayed due to classes being full because they would have enough sections to accommodate everybody.  Not every school makes that kind of promise, but I think it would only be possible if there were limits on how many tries you got since otherwise they couldn't predict how many sections of each course were needed based on the number of students enrolled in the major.  

There is a similar law in Virginia to the third rule.   If a student has completed more that 125% of the required credit hours, then they will begin to pay a "tuition surcharge" which matches the out-of-state tuition rate.  In addition, if a student has actually completed all requirements for graduation with any major, but continue to enroll, the finance office can also invoke that surcharge. 

To put that into context, my son (through AP and dual enrollment classes) could have graduated in three years.  As a junior, he decided to add a second (somewhat related) major.  Everyone recommended that he save one of the required classes for spring of his senior year.  It seems that they can declare you "Graduated!"  and then charge out-of-state tuition while you finish the classes for a declared double major.  So, he is saving his one "performance" requirement for the spring.  And now that it is time to register, cannot find one that he likes and fits into his schedule.  Despite the fact that there was a good one last spring that he would have preferred.  Oh... hoop jumping is alive and well in the commonwealth of Virginia too.

My husband did online college with a Texas college (before switching to a different online program) and took a Texas Government class that he was told was required.  It transferred fine, but it was also kind-of random once he changed and there was no state government requirement.

I had never heard of a class like this before.  

3 hours ago, Lecka said:

My husband did online college with a Texas college (before switching to a different online program) and took a Texas Government class that he was told was required.  It transferred fine, but it was also kind-of random once he changed and there was no state government requirement.

Yes, this was the only core class my dd still needed at college in TX since she did all of her DE in OH and they obviously didn't offer TX government here.  I think it's required by all TX state universities for graduation.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bambam said:

I was not a EE major but had to take Circuits I (and II and II for that matter) as part of my degree program.  It took me 4 tries.  Four.  Sigh.  But I did get through it on attempt 4 and luckily was able to waddle through II and III with one try each.  I was never interested in EE anyway but if I had been, it would have been obvious right away that it was not for me!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lecka said:

Local state government isn't required in other states? Interesting. I think it makes sense because - well, at least in TX, our government is slightly different than the federal government. Good to understand how to it works, so you can work to influence/change what needs to be changed. 

• Like 2

I assume these are actually laws that apply to the public university system in Texas. I can't imagine how they could tell private institutions to follow these rules. In that sense, yes, other state university systems have overarching policies that apply to all students across all public universities. These do seem particularly restrictive.

4 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Local state government isn't required in other states? Interesting. I think it makes sense because - well, at least in TX, our government is slightly different than the federal government. Good to understand how to it works, so you can work to influence/change what needs to be changed. 

For college? No. I had no idea there were states that required a state government class for college students. Sorry, but that's absurd. Texas, you're not that special. Every state has a state government and unique history. I've never in my life heard of students being required to take a college class in state government.

• Like 9

It takes up an elective slot, basically, that otherwise would be open.  It takes away an elective and some majors do not have many elective in the first place.

I don’t think it’s more important to know about Texas government than any of the other things that could be learned about.

And, I think it’s a bizarre thing to legislate.  I don’t think it’s appropriate.  

Edit:  it transferred for my husband as a Social Science elective (iirc — something like that) and to go from “you have to take it” to “look at all the other classes that would have fulfilled this elective requirement” was disappointing.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 4

My second ds went out of state to a public university in FL. I am not sure about the kind of rules in the OP, but they did have some odd things. One was some kind of civics requirement I believe my ds tested out of. They also had other general requirements for courses that fit certain categories. I never quite understood it but his program made sure all those were covered. They have a rule requiring 9 hours of summer credits. You can get exceptions to it, but my ds wanted to go in the summer so it wasn’t a biggie.

Now, if they had a rule about number of times a class could be retaken I didn’t know it and I’m glad because it would have stressed me out. My ds had one class that he took three times.The first time he withdrew and the second time he got a D (and needed a C to pass). He took it a third time and did pass with a B- but it was a nail biter and nearly held up his graduation. 

My ds was not a great student but he was competent. He graduated with like a 3.2 from that university and with transfer grades included it was over a 3.5. He just really struggled with that one class. If he had failed to make a C again his last semester I think he could have taken it the following semester as his only class and passed it and moved on with his life. I get the idea that after three tries you should cut your losses but it would have been a shame to let that one outlier of a class negate the fact that he had completed the other 117 credit hours without issue.

A rule like that makes sense in the abstract but then applied to a real person and a real situation it doesn’t necessarily 🙁 I’m glad we didn’t run up against that. Even if he had needed one more try as his only course it would have been worth it to him and he would have his degree and move on. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Any significant deviations between Michigan and the Federal Government is taught in state history in middle school and in American Government/Civics in high school. It is inappropriate - basically a propaganda campaign - to require it in college and a waste of time when compared to the level of content covered in history and poli-sci classes at the college level. It also makes for one less class of choice for students in programs like nursing, music, and engineering who have so little room for elective learning. I would resent it in a very big way as a parent who has paid a lot of college tuition! Thankfully, my kids gen eds and electives have been really great courses, and often geared towards their major and minors in mind so very relevant.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I also think it’s ironic that (in my impression) a lot of people in Texas have a libertarian and/or small-government preference, but then are in a state with extra legislation for something like this.  

This! I am absolutely amazed at the "big bad government, freedom" rhetoric that comes out of Texas, and then they turn right around and legislate all kinds of petty stuff.

• Like 6

I thought my husband’s class was not covered in a propaganda way, and I thought it seemed comparable to me to a US Government freshman-level college class.

It’s more that it took up an elective that I think is a problem, and that I don’t think it should be required.

I thought the level and content and coverage all seemed fine.  It was not a propaganda “everything is great” kind of class.  

(From my impression.)

Edit:  just to be fair — I think it was a good class and I think a goal of civic education may have been met.  I think it was a higher level class than expected for high school graduation, with political science type of content.  

Edit:  I totally agree with every other argument against!  But just to be fair — it was not a bad class.  

Edit:  I think it would be totally appropriate to be a class offered in the political science department, as an optional elective, or counting towards a concentration for a political science major.  

Edit:  I think it would be appropriate to count as a Social Science requirement as one of a choice of electives.  From what I remember — that is how it transferred for my husband.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

In TX, DE credits are exempt from this rule.

https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/Dual_Credit_FAQ.pdf

• Like 2

My college in AR wasn’t as explicit about it but had similar rules.  I kind of wish it had been spelled out like that, I ended up on academic probation one semester for dropping too many classes and I hadn’t realized it was a thing.  

Except the 30 hour rule, that seems weird. 

Edited by HeartString

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I assume these are actually laws that apply to the public university system in Texas. I can't imagine how they could tell private institutions to follow these rules. In that sense, yes, other state university systems have overarching policies that apply to all students across all public universities. These do seem particularly restrictive.

For college? No. I had no idea there were states that required a state government class for college students. Sorry, but that's absurd. Texas, you're not that special. Every state has a state government and unique history. I've never in my life heard of students being required to take a college class in state government.

My parents met in college in the 60's because they were required to take a class called The History of the State of New York.  They were seated alphabetically, met, and well the rest is also history.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

I also think it’s ironic that (in my impression) a lot of people in Texas have a libertarian and/or small-government preference, but then are in a state with extra legislation for something like this.  

I think this actually is ideologically in-line. The legislation applies to a government service (public colleges) and tries to make sure a government service isn't misused.

• Like 1

This is what I am finding for Texas Texas Education Code Section 51.302 - American or Texas History (2019) (public.law)

This states that part of the core requirement at a state univ must inlcude " six semester hours or its equivalent in American History. A student is entitled to submit as much as three semester hours of credit or its equivalent in Texas History in partial satisfaction of this requirement"

I am not finding anything that states that Texas government is required for all students graduating from a state univeristy.  Am I missing something somewhere?

• Like 1