Menu

So, what do we think is going to happen with the escaped zebras?

Terabith

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Nashville needs some fun wildlife happenings. All our exotics seem to be content at the zoo.

I moved a box turtle turtle off the road this afternoon  and saw a raccoon skittle across the road in the wee hours this morning. Boooring!

We had a blue heron land on the porch roof yesterday, saw a dozen or so ibis in the neighbors yard, and passed some sandhill cranes while driving. I love the sandhill cranes  - the are people sized! It's so cool to have birds you can basically look in the eye! 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We had a blue heron land on the porch roof yesterday, saw a dozen or so ibis in the neighbors yard, and passed some sandhill cranes while driving. I love the sandhill cranes  - the are people sized! It's so cool to have birds you can basically look in the eye! 

Dinosaurs...

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I heard a gamekeeper talking about just how stupid pheasants are. Those that don't die by guns die under wheels. Thousands are bred every year for shooting but even the escapees don't thrive.

Huh. Our pheasants must be smarter up here. I see them running as soon as vehicles get near all the time. Had a couple get off the road for me just a few days ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

We see beavers and woodchucks regularly! Nice to have big natural areas in the city!

Beavers. Love em and hate em. We live on a large pond, and I love watching the beavers. But spring 2020 we had a beaver repeatedly chew through the dog’s electric fence wire. Over and over. Gaaaah! Our beavers are electric!

Edited by Spryte
On! We live on a large pond. Not in it! Eeewwwww
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Terabith said:

I don't see any updates from more recently than three days ago, but this article from September 11 says that the zebras "are too fast to catch."  (Maybe they just haven't tried the cowboys with not shiny boots yet?). https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/11/zebras-escape-maryland-farm-officials-say-too-fast-catch/8293584002/

Also, apparently they have been taking dips into people's pools?  

These zebras are the best!

Wait - zebra's jump that high? Here pools have to be surrounded by really tall fences & the fence in the video looks about the same height. I'm getting more impressed with the zebra's each time I see something about this Dazzle!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Terabith said:

There's also this story, which is really kind of sad, about the crane who fell in love with a human.  Can you imagine your employment options being curtailed for DECADES because you cannot leave the crane that is in love with you?  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2018/07/23/feature/the-crane-who-fell-in-love-with-a-human/

I just can't even read this whole thing. Just. Wow.

Sandhill cranes are LOUD! This pair came through behind our house. We see them everywhere and it's not uncommon to see cars stopped on a busy road to let them cross. They're always either in pairs or a family (usually one, sometimes two offspring). 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

On 10/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, Faith-manor said:

Those things are mean buggers! Ostriches are probably worse, but I would NOT want to encounter a flurry of emus on an escapade.

There is a large national park near us where they have been fed from time to time.  If they turn up around lunch time you surrender your lunch no questions asked!  They will also follow you to the car just to check if there’s any more!

21 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Sandhill cranes are LOUD! This pair came through behind our house. We see them everywhere and it's not uncommon to see cars stopped on a busy road to let them cross. They're always either in pairs or a family (usually one, sometimes two offspring). 

Wow!  I’ve never heard of them.  

On 10/2/2021 at 9:20 AM, gardenmom5 said:

Well, - if they have enough land, they could form a colony.

like the Parrots in Brooklyn, or the Chickens by a Hollywood freeway ramp.   And I recently heard about rhesus Monkeys in FL, and Japanese snow monkeys in Texas.

There is a huge colony of monk parakeets in Chicago by Lake Michigan near the University of Chicago.  They were there when I endured -20 F weather and are still there.

Then there are the iguanas in many parts of Florida, other kinds of parakeets there too, some type of monkey that was released on some island in a park and they are there after 70 years.  There are Oryx running around New Mexico.  And of course, starlings and house sparrows- I learned last week at the birding festival that they were both released by the same nutter back in the late 19th century.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, mom2scouts said:

I was just talking to my daughter-in-law and she said there's an emu loose in their neighborhood!

So the main lecture at the birding festival was from a scientist at MSU who monitors an area in South Mississippi where Sandhill Cranes stay all year round and nest.  He was doing banding one day and he feels a warm presence in back of him.  It breathes on him and he looks and all his students are staring in horror.  He slowly looks back and it was an Emu.  He moves away from it carefully and doesn't get hurt.  A mild hurricane had torn down the fence of a nearby Emu farm.  They came and rounded most of the up--one had to be killed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Think how loud to be where thousands of them are.  When we lived in NM, we went to Bosque del Apache to view them  As I said, there were thousands there and then a coyote came and at least a thousand, went a rose and I was so happy because it looked like something you would normally see on one of the programs about Africa.  But is was right here in the US.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wow!  I’ve never heard of them.  

They are one of the coolest things about where I live. All the big birds are so neat. Herons, etc. But Sandhill Cranes are in their own class - in person they don't seem real, just because they are SO big and so very calm. Just walking around, hanging out with their crane DH and baby crane. I got a photo a few months ago of them in a neighbor's yard, and the baby was playing in a puddle - actually got down and laid in it. 

• Like 7

On 10/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

We were at the Jacksonville Zoo yesterday and, except for the squirrel wanting to ride in the stroller with my grandson because he had tasty snacks, all the wild life were in their proper spots. A few escaping zebras would certainly have added some thrill to the day.

Omg!  You're not too far from me!!!   If we do a SE meetup, you have to be there!

• Like 1

Regarding the wildlife:  I do have a black snake I've named Eugene who lives under our shed.  Yesterday I was outside and heard some thumps and looked over Eugene was going round and round with his prey du jour.   I'm hoping it was a rat, but I don't know.  

I love near the swamp.   I guess I could go in there and find something more exciting.  😱😆

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

They are one of the coolest things about where I live. All the big birds are so neat. Herons, etc. But Sandhill Cranes are in their own class - in person they don't seem real, just because they are SO big and so very calm. Just walking around, hanging out with their crane DH and baby crane. I got a photo a few months ago of them in a neighbor's yard, and the baby was playing in a puddle - actually got down and laid in it. 

And Whooping Cranes are even bigger.  We have them coming to our National Wildlife Refuge here too.  I missed seeing one last year because with COVID, much of the Refuge was closed but hope to see one or a few (we have several that migrate here).  Whoopers-2-ad-1-juv-and-3-sandhills-IMG_

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and my parents had an iguana show up on their fence in the backyard a few times!

Yikes! I didn't realize they made it this far north. And as I was typing this I remembered that your parents live in my county. Double yikes!!

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

They're really cool. I love seeing the parents and babies together. I caught them doing a mating dance some years ago at one of our nearby parks.

cranes mating dance.jpg

• Like 10

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and my parents had an iguana show up on their fence in the backyard a few times!

Yes, while we never had one in our yard, we would see them down the street on the island we lived on--- never found out the name though I looked and looked.  Plus those parakeets would always be flying over.  

3 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Omg!  You're not too far from me!!!   If we do a SE meetup, you have to be there!

Hey! I'm about 2.5 hours south of Jacksonville and within driving distance of much of the Southeast. I'm always envious when Quill, Garga, and the others post about their PA/Northeast meetups. I'd love a SE meetup!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yikes! I didn't realize they made it this far north. And as I was typing this I remembered that your parents live in my county. Double yikes!!

They're really cool. I love seeing the parents and babies together. I caught them doing a mating dance some years ago at one of our nearby parks.

cranes mating dance.jpg

The iguana was when they lived in Palm Beach County, before they moved 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Hey! I'm about 2.5 hours south of Jacksonville and within driving distance of much of the Southeast. I'm always envious when Quill, Garga, and the others post about their PA/Northeast meetups. I'd love a SE meetup!

I think I’ll make a post when the board comes back up and see who all is interested!   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

There is a huge colony of monk parakeets in Chicago by Lake Michigan near the University of Chicago.  They were there when I endured -20 F weather and are still there.

Flocks of parakeets in London too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2021/04/photos-the-parakeets-of-london/618729/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Think how loud to be where thousands of them are.  When we lived in NM, we went to Bosque del Apache to view them  As I said, there were thousands there and then a coyote came and at least a thousand, went a rose and I was so happy because it looked like something you would normally see on one of the programs about Africa.  But is was right here in the US.

I love the Bosque del Apache. ❤️

Oh oh! This is much more amusing news. They're trying to lure the zebras into a pen by putting out more zebras:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/10/19/new-plan-for-catching-the-fugitive-maryland-zebras-more-zebras/

But the best thing in that article is the embedded local news where a young man who seems a bit like... let's just say it... a nice stoner... spotted the zebras. He had to "look into the zebra's soul." 😂

• Haha 9

53 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Least surprising update on the zebra story:

https://dcist.com/story/21/10/20/escaped-zebra-animal-cruelty-prince-georges-jerry-holly-charges/

The owners have been charged with animal cruelty.

The fact that the snare that killed one of the loose zebras was 2' from the fence of the enclosure where the other zebras were kept makes it even more tragic, because it seems like he was trying to find his way back to the herd, got caught, and died a slow painful death because no one was checking on the enclosure. I bet the owner set that snare himself, to catch other animals he thought might harass the zebras, but instead it killed a zebra trying to get back in. I sure hope he loses his license. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

The fact that the snare that killed one of the loose zebras was 2' from the fence of the enclosure where the other zebras were kept makes it even more tragic, because it seems like he was trying to find his way back to the herd, got caught, and died a slow painful death because no one was checking on the enclosure. I bet the owner set that snare himself, to catch other animals he thought might harass the zebras, but instead it killed a zebra trying to get back in. I sure hope he loses his license. 

Absolutely. It's heartbreaking. I hope the animals are moved to a sanctuary where they get good care.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...