Menu

Colleges requiring covid vaccine to live on campus

melmichigan

On 4/8/2021 at 12:27 PM, kokotg said:

It definitely seems to be the case almost everywhere that very online people and/or people who can travel farther have a much easier time finding appointments (at least in urban/suburban areas. Rural areas seem to have more vaccines than demand in most places). And, of course, this generally means that younger people and relatively financially stable people (i.e. have transportation and can take time off work easily if needed) have better access. It's a huge problem. 

I think this is broadly true. The clinic where I received my shot (Portsmouth) was set up before my more affluent suburban area’s clinic was. My friend, who lives in Virginia Beach, also got her shot a week or two before me. I think so much of the decisions about clinic locations and access are based on the priorities and preferences of state leaders, especially governors. If access is lacking, I’d look there first. I have no issues insuring my kids get the vax soon, not just so they can go back to school to minimize my risk while DH is away...again, but because I’m tired of feeling like I’m risking death by leaving my house. My dad is super eager to see my kids and I basically told him (he’s been hounded by his docs already) that we’re not coming unless he gets the vax. I’m not willing to risk us being responsible for his untimely demise and we’re not going to continue to isolate once we’re vaxed. (We will still mask).

re who knows??? who got the vaccine where

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

What would more proof look like? Especially because so many vaccines are being acquired at random places that are not necessarily keeping much records.

The data set here is exactly n = 2, but...

The night my husband and I became eligible we did the Hunger Games at Midnight thing, with both of us set up at opposite ends of the dining room table madly scrambling for any appointments anywhere in the state.  I scored 2 two weeks out, 2.5 hours drive away, through one of the (then) 5 independent hospital networks administering the vaccine (NOT the state, NOT FEMA, NOT my municipality; private health networks)... and then we kept going, seeing if we could get anything earlier and/or closer, which we did (CVS). As soon as we got shot #1 I started trying to cancel the other set of appointments (which were too closely spaced to work as shot #2, and anyway CVS automatically scheduled us, closer, for shot #2, so we didn't need the other set at all).  But there was no online way to do it, and several times I spent over an hour on hold just trying to get through to no avail.

But then two days before our unneeded appointments, I got a call from the hospital network.  They had a list, from CDC, of people who'd already gotten the shot, and were proactively calling because we'd shown up as not-needing Shot #1 and also not-ready for Shot #2.  They knew the date and address of where we'd gotten it. 

I was actually relieved.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

But then two days before our unneeded appointments, I got a call from the hospital network.  They had a list, from CDC, of people who'd already gotten the shot, and were proactively calling because we'd shown up as not-needing Shot #1 and also not-ready for Shot #2.  They knew the date and address of where we'd gotten it. 

I was actually relieved.

Wow - amazing!   Super impressed!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

re who knows??? who got the vaccine where

The data set here is exactly n = 2, but...

The night my husband and I became eligible we did the Hunger Games at Midnight thing, with both of us set up at opposite ends of the dining room table madly scrambling for any appointments anywhere in the state.  I scored 2 two weeks out, 2.5 hours drive away, through one of the (then) 5 independent hospital networks administering the vaccine (NOT the state, NOT FEMA, NOT my municipality; private health networks)... and then we kept going, seeing if we could get anything earlier and/or closer, which we did (CVS). As soon as we got shot #1 I started trying to cancel the other set of appointments (which were too closely spaced to work as shot #2, and anyway CVS automatically scheduled us, closer, for shot #2, so we didn't need the other set at all).  But there was no online way to do it, and several times I spent over an hour on hold just trying to get through to no avail.

I was actually relieved.

Yeah, I totally think this is a leadership and governance issue.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, kokotg said:

Rural areas seem to have more vaccines than demand in most places). 

I think this might be broadly true depending on state/area. It was much easier to get a shot in Big Metro Area than in my small rural county and still is. However, from a pharmacy/retail partner perspective, when I search for appointments, the pharmacies in tiny towns on the border with my state tend to have openings way more than the bigger city pharmacies.

My county had done zero vaccination clinics not associated with long-term care clinics or local employers until the end of March. When the state opened to everyone 16+, the seniors who had been waiting were right there with people like me who just signed up.

Also, I don't know what my state is doing with their Pfizer allotment, but it is out of stock nearly everywhere (in my state). The five county health department announced recently that they will only be doing Moderna shots. Period.

The local college got Johnson & Johnson for their students. Not sure what the faculty had access to. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I think this might be broadly true depending on state/area. It was much easier to get a shot in Big Metro Area than in my small rural county and still is. However, from a pharmacy/retail partner perspective, when I search for appointments, the pharmacies in tiny towns on the border with my state tend to have openings way more than the bigger city pharmacies.

My county had done zero vaccination clinics not associated with long-term care clinics or local employers until the end of March. When the state opened to everyone 16+, the seniors who had been waiting were right there with people like me who just signed up.

Also, I don't know what my state is doing with their Pfizer allotment, but it is out of stock nearly everywhere (in my state). The five county health department announced recently that they will only be doing Moderna shots. Period.

The local college got Johnson & Johnson for their students. Not sure what the faculty had access to. 

That really sucks for the 16-17 year olds.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

That really sucks for the 16-17 year olds.  

I wish they would put Pfizer aside for them at this point. My not-a-state was putting some aside because of the way they're doling out the vaccine. I *think* they'll continue to do that to some extent when eligibility opens to all on Monday. But most places don't seem to be doing this at all.

Given that - while it's hardly the norm - being 17 in college isn't super unusual, it definitely has some bearing.

I hope the J&J (or any of them, I don't care) gets approved for teens soon.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

@mathnerd@Roadrunner

https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/news/Pages/CSU-COVID-Vax-Requirement-FDA-Approval.aspx

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-encourages-covid-19-vaccinations-university-communities-while-reviewing-policy

In the interest of maintaining the health and safety of students, employees, guests and all members of campus communities, the California State University (CSU) joined the University of California (UC) today (April 22, 2021) in announcing that the universities intend to require faculty, staff and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location to be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. This requirement will be conditioned upon full approval of one or more vaccines by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as well as adequate availability of the fully approved vaccines. This requirement will become effective at the beginning of the fall 2021 term, or upon full FDA approval of the vaccine, whichever occurs later. 

“Together, the CSU and UC enroll and employ more than one million students and employees across 33 major university campuses, so this is the most comprehensive and consequential university plan for COVID-19 vaccines in the country," said CSU Chancellor Joseph I. Castro. “Consistent with previous CSU announcements related to the university's response to the pandemic, we are sharing this information now to give students, their families and our employees ample time to make plans to be vaccinated prior to the start of the fall term."

“Receiving a vaccine for the virus that causes COVID-19 is a key step people can take to protect themselves, their friends and family, and our campus communities while helping bring the pandemic to an end," said UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D.”

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd@Roadrunner

https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/news/Pages/CSU-COVID-Vax-Requirement-FDA-Approval.aspx

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-encourages-covid-19-vaccinations-university-communities-while-reviewing-policy

In the interest of maintaining the health and safety of students, employees, guests and all members of campus communities, the California State University (CSU) joined the University of California (UC) today (April 22, 2021) in announcing that the universities intend to require faculty, staff and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location to be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. This requirement will be conditioned upon full approval of one or more vaccines by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as well as adequate availability of the fully approved vaccines. This requirement will become effective at the beginning of the fall 2021 term, or upon full FDA approval of the vaccine, whichever occurs later. 

“Together, the CSU and UC enroll and employ more than one million students and employees across 33 major university campuses, so this is the most comprehensive and consequential university plan for COVID-19 vaccines in the country," said CSU Chancellor Joseph I. Castro. “Consistent with previous CSU announcements related to the university's response to the pandemic, we are sharing this information now to give students, their families and our employees ample time to make plans to be vaccinated prior to the start of the fall term."

“Receiving a vaccine for the virus that causes COVID-19 is a key step people can take to protect themselves, their friends and family, and our campus communities while helping bring the pandemic to an end," said UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D.”

I was just accepted into a CSU. I’m not thrilled with this. 

On 4/10/2021 at 12:22 AM, Pawz4me said:

Duke University announced today that they will require all students to show proof of Covid vaccination before they will be allowed to enroll for the fall semester. Medical and religious exemptions will be allowed.

I'm not sure how this would work for overseas students. Some countries won't have vaccine availability by then, and - in the UK - student visas don't allow enough time before studies start to get vaccinated here. The majority of the students on the courses I administer are from overseas. I suspect they will still have to quarantine. 

Then there is the different efficacy of different vaccines being produced worldwide.  I can see classes being virtual for the first fortnight for everyone. 

• Like 2

If this means that life can be somewhat normal next year on campus for these kids, I am ALL for it. If it means they can have guests in their rooms/apartments again without worrying about the RA stopping them in the hallway, I am ALL for it. If it means they might not have to wear masks inside, outside, all the sides, I am ALL for it. If it means they can hang out together in rooms with more than 3 people, I am ALL for it. If it means they can sit together and squeeze chairs in for more people to join in, I am ALL for it. If this means they might be able to have a reasonably-sized party without fearing the cops being called because there are more than 10 of them gathered together, I am ALL for it.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm not sure how this would work for overseas students. Some countries won't have vaccine availability by then, and - in the UK - student visas don't allow enough time before studies start to get vaccinated here. The majority of the students on the courses I administer are from overseas. I suspect they will still have to quarantine. 

Then there is the different efficacy of different vaccines being produced worldwide.  I can see classes being virtual for the first fortnight for everyone. 

Ugh. I’m concerned that the overseas university DS will be attending won’t be able to require vaccination. It has a large international student body and I don’t foresee that it will be able to offer students vaccinations if they aren’t already vaccinated before coming to campus. I think here schools offering vaccines will be common if they require them, but of course the situation is different in the EU. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

I really think one of the reasons these colleges are requiring vaccination is that they feel relatively assured the vaccine supply will allow them to vaccinate anyone who hasn't gotten it yet. I'll bet they all offer vaccine clinics in the week before classes begin. Or over the summer. Or both. And I'll bet that there's a way to enroll, register for courses, etc. but that things aren't finalized until you've shown vaccine proof, which you probably have to do by such and such a date after they've had vaccine clinics.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, easypeasy said:

If this means that life can be somewhat normal next year on campus for these kids, I am ALL for it. If it means they can have guests in their rooms/apartments again without worrying about the RA stopping them in the hallway, I am ALL for it. If it means they might not have to wear masks inside, outside, all the sides, I am ALL for it. If it means they can hang out together in rooms with more than 3 people, I am ALL for it. If it means they can sit together and squeeze chairs in for more people to join in, I am ALL for it. If this means they might be able to have a reasonably-sized party without fearing the cops being called because there are more than 10 of them gathered together, I am ALL for it.

and let's not forget that there's an academic side to college. It means:
doing lab with a lab partner and not alone
having all labs actually IN lab and not half of them virtual at home
having in-person classes and not have to be on Zoom because there aren't large enough classrooms to seat all students 6 ft apart
going to in-person tutoring sessions, homework help, office hours
live competitions of design teams, mars rover, rocket team etc

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Yes, but will it mean this? I see the way things are going, and sometimes I’m not so sure.

8 hours ago, easypeasy said:

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

having in-person classes and not have to be on Zoom because there aren't large enough classrooms to seat all students 6 ft apart

I do think both sides are, dare I say, equally important. 

The isolation and anxiety/depression inducing circumstances of this school year have been awful for so many college kids (mine included). We kept ours home b/c there was no point to paying dorm/food fees for a year such as described above, since classes were going to be all online anyway. But even being at home, where we've been able to allow in-person small group gatherings that would have been prohibited in his dorm/on campus for either of them has still been anxiety/depression inducing/worsening. I cannot imagine the fallout if either of them had been on campus under these restrictions. 

On the academic side, this semester, between my 2 college sons, neither one even has a single online class that is meeting synchronously. Only one of their combined sets of classes even has recorded lectures they can watch. At all.  (one is taking two 4-hr classes, project based, no in person labs with it; the other is taking four 3-hr classes, 3 of which are lecture-based classes, 1 is a project based class, no in person labs with it). One of the project-based courses has only youtube videos posted in Blackboard by, but not recorded by, the professor.  "Learning" in this fashion/by these means has been....interesting. Difficult. Challenging. Ridiculous. 

Our state/our governor has signed an executive order stating that no public entity that has received gov't funds can legally require the vaccine, which means the colleges won't be able to require it here.  I hope they move to in person education anyway, for all of the reasons above. Folks *have* been able to get the vaccine, and the colleges are setting up vaccine clinics, so hopefully that's enough. We *have* to get kids back on campus. For their mental health benefit *and* their academic needs. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I was just accepted into a CSU. I’m not thrilled with this. 

That is pending any of the COVID vaccines getting full approval from FDA. That might be sooner than start of Fall term.

https://6abc.com/amp/pfizer-covid-vaccine-clinical-trial-fda-approval-coronavirus-vaccines/10466931/

”The ongoing Phase 3 clinical trial of Pfizer/BioNTech's coronavirus vaccine confirms its protection lasts at least six months after the second dose, the companies said Thursday. The companies can now seek full FDA approval for their vaccine.”

https://abc7ny.com/covid-vaccine-veterans-connecticut-coronavirus/10513978/
“NEW YORK (WABC) -- Moderna has released the results of its vaccine trial after six months allowing it to seek full FDA approval.“

• Like 2

9 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Amen

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

agreed

43 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Yes, but will it mean this? I see the way things are going, and sometimes I’m not so sure.

Yes, if ALL the people involved are vaccinated, that is what it means. The problems you are seeing come down to a large component of the population not wanting to be vaccinated. So although I'm happy to be unmasked in groups with other vaccinated people, I'm not at the point of being unmasked in groups of UNvaccinated people. Which is all the  public spaces at this point. On a campus with everyone vaccinated, that calculus is different. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Amen

agreed

Yes, if ALL the people involved are vaccinated, that is what it means. The problems you are seeing come down to a large component of the population not wanting to be vaccinated. So although I'm happy to be unmasked in groups with other vaccinated people, I'm not at the point of being unmasked in groups of UNvaccinated people. Which is all the  public spaces at this point. On a campus with everyone vaccinated, that calculus is different. 

But everyone won’t  be vaccinated. There will be those who can’t and those who won’t. 

Adding a sincere question: If a person is fully vaccinated, why not be around unvaccinated people? You’re protected, right? Breakthrough cases are rare. By the same token, a vaccinated person can still infect someone else, also very rare. 

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 1

I don’t know what it is going to be like for my ds who is going to be a freshman. His college said they would be pretty much back to normal but now that they say they won’t require the vaccine so I really don’t know what any of that will look like. My ds is vaxxed and  I am not super worried about him still getting Covid and having a bad outcome even if he is around unvaxxed students. I know it is possible but there will be lots of things to fret about with him newly away at college and that isn’t the biggest one for me. 

I am glad he is vaxxed and I really hope that means he can avoid what seemed, this year, to be a constant cycle of exposure and quarantine. I think that is far far from ideal for any student, let alone a new freshman away from home.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

But everyone won’t  be vaccinated. There will be those who can’t and those who won’t. 

Adding a sincere question: If a person is fully vaccinated, why not be around unvaccinated people? You’re protected, right? Breakthrough cases are rare. By the same token, a vaccinated person can still infect someone else, also very rare. 

But most could be vaccinated, like with other illnesses. We need to get to herd immunity. 

Until then I don't plan to be unmasked in crowds. One person, like a friend, who is unvaccinated I could see. But crowds of people, parties, etc increase the chance of there being someone contagious, and 95% effective isn't enough for me when community spread is high. If we get closer to herd immunity community spread drops a lot, and then I'm more comfortable with it. 

• Like 4

Just now, ktgrok said:

But most could be vaccinated, like with other illnesses. We need to get to herd immunity. 

Until then I don't plan to be unmasked in crowds. One person, like a friend, who is unvaccinated I could see. But crowds of people, parties, etc increase the chance of there being someone contagious, and 95% effective isn't enough for me when community spread is high. If we get closer to herd immunity community spread drops a lot, and then I'm more comfortable with it. 

Makes sense, thank you.

24 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

. On a campus with everyone vaccinated, that calculus is different. 

My kids use the proctoring service at a nearby commuter state university. Drug allergies run on my side of my family so we are waiting longer to be vaccinated. My husband would probably be first as he has the lowest probability of drug reaction. Guests are not required to be vaccinated but we will mask anyway. 

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yep.

I would be comfortable getting together with an unvaccinated person outside, but the thought of being forced to work in a packed classroom where 140 potentially unvaccinated students sit shoulder on shoulder is scary.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

I really think one of the reasons these colleges are requiring vaccination is that they feel relatively assured the vaccine supply will allow them to vaccinate anyone who hasn't gotten it yet. I'll bet they all offer vaccine clinics in the week before classes begin. Or over the summer. Or both. And I'll bet that there's a way to enroll, register for courses, etc. but that things aren't finalized until you've shown vaccine proof, which you probably have to do by such and such a date after they've had vaccine clinics.

I am wondering logistically how they would do this.  All I have is a little card in my wallet that has vaccine information that inn no way looks official.  I didn't got through my physician, have a receipt from a medical physician, have this information on my medical records, etc.  I don't know how accurate any information of who has and hasn't been vaccinated is. 

On 4/9/2021 at 3:15 PM, Pam in CT said:

I was actually relieved.

The CDC claims not to have records of who has received the COVID vaccine https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/contacts-locate-records.html

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I am wondering logistically how they would do this.  All I have is a little card in my wallet that has vaccine information that inn no way looks official.  I didn't got through my physician, have a receipt from a medical physician, have this information on my medical records, etc.  I don't know how accurate any information of who has and hasn't been vaccinated is. 

We were vaccinated at a mass vaccine site, and it somehow got added to our records with our family doctor - he knew already when we went in the following week. My state has a statewide vaccination database so I'm assuming it was added to that, and that is how my local doctor knew. 

8 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

My understanding is that each state is maintaining a registry of vaccinations, too, so there should be a more official record somewhere than the little cards. Although I got my two doses in two different states, so I'm not sure how that works. It's certainly an imperfect system with a lot of potential for fraud right now, and I hope someone's working on a better system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kokotg said:

My understanding is that each state is maintaining a registry of vaccinations, too, so there should be a more official record somewhere than the little cards. Although I got my two doses in two different states, so I'm not sure how that works. It's certainly an imperfect system with a lot of potential for fraud right now, and I hope someone's working on a better system.

And having to pull the card out for the inevitable various places that will require it they are going to get damaged, lost, etc. For something so important you would think there would be a better way. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Gosh 30 years ago my graduate degree application required all the basic immunizations to be listed. My college graduate children all had meningitis required to be able to live in the dorms. I am not surprised at all at the requirement for covid, the universities simply cannot afford a repeat of this last school year. 

What are they doing about the standard waivers for religion, previous vax reactions, etc?

I thought all universities required vaccination for a whole host of things.   Meningitis is just a new one to add to the list of all the other ones that are already required for public school attendance, but are also required by universities.  My kids (who actually have medical exemptions for some of them) had to pass in their records, along with a doctor's note explaining the exemptions. This was the first time I had to jump through this hoop, as they hadn't attended school before that, but they needed exemptions for the childhood vaxes they hadn't gotten. (they did get meningitis vax).  I would expect any requirement to have the same medical exemptions. 

And my kids still all got vaxxed for Covid, in spite of having had issues with others - in our case the main one that was at issue was measles, and I'm pretty sure it was because it was a live vaccine, which this is not.

But anyway, a whole laundry list of vaccines for MUCH less deadly diseases have been a requirement for both schools and universities years and years and years.  Why would they NOT require it???

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

Just now got the e-mail from my son's college that they'll be requiring vaccines. I'm pleased and not at all surprised.

After much consideration about how to minimize COVID-19 transmission risk next fall, we have decided to require, with limited exceptions, all students and employees who will work or study on campus to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by August 2, 2021. 

Our decision to require vaccination is based on three principles: 

• that the health and safety of our community is our top priority,
  • that science informs and guides our public health strategies, and
  • that the wellbeing of our campus community should not be put at risk by personal preferences.

It goes on to talk about access and how to request an exemption.

ETA: re: international students, it says this: "For students who are unable to acquire a COVID-19 vaccine in their home state or country, the Hamre Center staff will provide a vaccination upon your arrival in Saint Paul."

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

But don’t a lot of states have vaccine registries now, at least for childhood vaccines? So many college students will already have a state record, and the vaccine administrators would just have to add it to that database.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I think this varies greatly by state.  In Texas you must sign consent to be included in the state registry. It is not automatic. I do not remember when receiving my COVID vaccine of signing anything regarding consent for this to be registered.  I don't remember anything coming up about it.  I was at a vaccination clinic, not run through my regular medical provider, so it wouldn't be that they had it "on record."  

I can't check the state database and see if it is included, because the general population can't access their own record.  Only medical professionals can access.  And, the state sites says has something to the effect of "because of the COVID response, any requests may be delayed..."  So, if a large number of students needed to seek proof somehow, I don't know that it could be done easily and quickly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Our state has a vaccine registry. When each of us signed up to get our first Covid vaccination we were emailed a link to create an account with the state registry. The info there, which can be printed out, is more detailed than what is on the CDC card. Also, three of us got our vaccinations through our county health department, so I assume it would be a relatively simple matter to get some sort of certified proof of vaccination from them. Oldest DS got his at Walgreens, so . . . don't know about that. I think students being able to prove vaccination status is a valid concern.

I am an old boardie from a long while back. This year I chose to lurk so I could read the pandemic threads because I knew there would be a lot of information here.

My youngest is still in college and attends a university that chose to have a contest with several other universities to see whose student body, staff, and faculty could get the highest percentage of their population immunized to the flu. They considered it one more way of helping out their local communities, trying to prevent flu and covid simultaneously. Every college in the contest exceeded 75%, and two exceeded 80%. Students are camping at the bit to get vaccinated to covid so that campus life will be more normal next semester.

His school also requires measles and meningitis vaxes in order to attend.

So I think that with right minded administrations and student bodies, campus immunity is a real possibility.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I think this varies greatly by state.  In Texas you must sign consent to be included in the state registry. It is not automatic. I do not remember when receiving my COVID vaccine of signing anything regarding consent for this to be registered.  I don't remember anything coming up about it.  I was at a vaccination clinic, not run through my regular medical provider, so it wouldn't be that they had it "on record."  

I can't check the state database and see if it is included, because the general population can't access their own record.  Only medical professionals can access.  And, the state sites says has something to the effect of "because of the COVID response, any requests may be delayed..."  So, if a large number of students needed to seek proof somehow, I don't know that it could be done easily and quickly.

ah, okay...I only knew that they told us in Georgia that if we lost our card they could print out the info from the state registry. 

Yeah, unless something changes, I imagine it will be a situation where if you really want to lie about it you can. Which is probably also true of any required vaccines. I looked on DS's schools website for what kind of documentation they require (for all vaccines, not covid specifically), and this is all it is:

• the record must include the month/day/year of each immunization
  • the record must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

But don’t a lot of states have vaccine registries now, at least for childhood vaccines? So many college students will already have a state record, and the vaccine administrators would just have to add it to that database.

If a student is in college in a different state and receives a vaccine there, then this would not appear on the state record with their childhood vaccines.  My experience has been such a push to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible that there has been little thought put into the logistics of how to keep a record of any of this, or even how to know for sure who is getting a vaccine.  (An eight-year old girl was vaccinated at a mass drive-through clinic here recently.)

On 4/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, Pam in CT said:

Yeah, I doubt any institution in the US will require under EUA (just cuz who needs the risk of cranky lawsuits)... but that looks also like it'll be moot by end-August.

Here in CA the UC and CSU universities (and Stanford) have already announced Covid vaccinations will be required of students and staff to be on campus.

Bill

ETA: Pending full FDA approval. Don't want to spread inaccuracies. 

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am an old boardie from a long while back. This year I chose to lurk so I could read the pandemic threads because I knew there would be a lot of information here.

My youngest is still in college and attends a university that chose to have a contest with several other universities to see whose student body, staff, and faculty could get the highest percentage of their population immunized to the flu. They considered it one more way of helping out their local communities, trying to prevent flu and covid simultaneously. Every college in the contest exceeded 75%, and two exceeded 80%. Students are camping at the bit to get vaccinated to covid so that campus life will be more normal next semester.

His school also requires measles and meningitis vaxes in order to attend.

So I think that with right minded administrations and student bodies, campus immunity is a real possibility.

Good to see you!

Bill

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

No system will be perfect, but a requirement can be a good nudge.

The Vax record at the doctor, how does that come about? When folks get a new doc and they take medical history to put in the computer, patients self report their vaccinations. The doc doesn't require official proof or threaten to re- vaccinated you for everything. So the doctor of an adult in most cases won't have seen thorough documentation. 

Now, the only folks who really have to have thorough official documentation are recent green card applicants, because the government doctor only takes the original Vax documents and,  in their absence,  will force you to take all the missing shots.

I think reporting covid Vax to one's doc to have it added to the medical record would be easy. Will people still lie? Some, sure. But most people won't. 

13 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

My experience has been such a push to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible that there has been little thought put into the logistics of how to keep a record of any of this, or even how to know for sure who is getting a vaccine.  (An eight-year old girl was vaccinated at a mass drive-through clinic here recently.)

At our mass vaccinations, patients have to fill out a form. Is that not the norm everywhere?

12 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

If a student is in college in a different state and receives a vaccine there, then this would not appear on the state record with their childhood vaccines.  My experience has been such a push to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible that there has been little thought put into the logistics of how to keep a record of any of this, or even how to know for sure who is getting a vaccine.  (An eight-year old girl was vaccinated at a mass drive-through clinic here recently.)

Of course you’re right, I hadn’t thought of that. 🤔

And even if it is in the same state and there’s a registry, I don’t know if you could count on every Walmart or other pharmacy automatically putting it in a database, and if they don’t, tracking it down might be a pain. And you still might have to get a copy of the record from a doctor someplace to satisfy the college. 

An 8 year old?! 😧