Menu

What do you want for the holidays?

NewIma

18 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I honestly hope no one gives me anything this year and that truly would be the best present. DH broke his leg in September and has been out of work since, which means we won't be able to buy gifts this year. Our savings is being consumed quickly. So I would feel terrible if others bought us gifts and we didn't have anything in return. Well that's not exactly true. I am making gifts for my grandchildren from my stash of craft items. They are still small and won't care one bit that their gifts are Gigi made. Here's what I'm making for my granddaughter for her birthday. It's a traveling dollhouse for a felt "paper doll". There are little clothes for it in the wardrobe. I still have a few more touches for it and then it'll be ready to mail.

IMG_2714.jpg

What an absolutely incredible gift!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Yes!  Food gifts are the best!  I'd rather have that than anything!   I hate to cook and I'm not good at it (although it really doesn't matter--even good cooks would love something like that), so getting a homemade (but not made at my home) gift would be so appreciated!    

My Granny for years made us granola for Christmas. I think it started as a frugal gift out of necessity, but it was always one of my very favorite gifts. So delicious!!!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, J-rap said:

That sounds like us!  We realized we were both much happier in the gift-giving area once I just picked out my own present each year.  😄 

Truth!!  I feel like this is a high level marriage accomplishment. Be honest about what works and what doesn't and find a solution!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

What I want the most is for my oldest kid to be home for the holidays, but they have already said they will not be able to make it due to COVID.

So giving up on that wish...  as far as a material item for myself, I'd really like a Marley Multi-pocket Urbanizer in purple.  I have a black one that has held up amazingly for the past 4-5 years, but the leather is starting to look worn and the magnet inside the front of the bag has somehow disappeared so that it doesn't clasp anymore.  I love that bag - it is everything I want in a handbag - but it is really expensive.  My mom sent money last week for Christmas, and for my birthday which is at the end of this month, so I could actually afford it if I wanted to spend that much money on myself.  But a snow-tire on our car that is driven by our son popped yesterday, and because it is AWD we had to replace all four tires - so that ate up all of my Christmas and birthday money.  And we are a bit behind on the bills already.

So, what I want for Christmas is peace and health for everyone.  Please everyone stay healthy...

Thinking of you. Missing family is going to be so hard this year.

11 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We need to replace a laptop and a printer, so no extra money for gifts for me or dh this year. 

But wishing...

smartwool socks

a good daypack

some books, of course

a few days of not cooking or doing dishes

snow for sledding! 

A few days of no cooking or dishes!! What a glorious idea!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MercyA said:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! He is adorable!!! I didn't know Steiff made cuddly bears! I'm going to look around the site for sure. His fur looks so soft, too. 💕🧸❤️

p.s. Yes, I will let you know if I get a stuffie! 🙂 

ETA: They have a lamb! I've been wanting a lamb. There is a fox I like on Etsy, too, though...

Isn't he just perfect?!  I love him.  I looked up the lamb,  OMG! Adorable too. 

Really this year, I just want time with my kids. I have one getting married and moving 1200 miles away, one in the military, and two going to college away from home in the fall. They will all be home for Christmas this year, and I’m not sure when the next time will be that we’re all together - it may be years. 

• Like 4

On 11/10/2020 at 7:54 AM, alisoncooks said:

Go for it! I bought myself a baby Yoda because it was the most adorable thing ever. My girls and I have been getting the biggest kick out of it. 

Did you get the talking one or just the plain plush? Trying to decide.

55 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Did you get the talking one or just the plain plush? Trying to decide.

The plain plush. It looks so accurate. The body is bean bag-like (no feet), so it has heft, and the head sort of wobbles when you move it. We love it, lol -- there's been no shortage of displaying it in various locations since we received it. 

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Child-11-inch-Yoda-like-Figure-Mandalorian/dp/B0825SNHP1/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/134-9170268-1433440?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0825SNHP1&pd_rd_r=f2fc71da-61a2-46ea-ae9d-7dee6dfa480f&pd_rd_w=sKlMS&pd_rd_wg=IvtvU&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=1BKTM1K70TD27WA5E1V0&psc=1&refRID=1BKTM1K70TD27WA5E1V0

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, hjffkj said:

lego treehouse but I won't get it. too expensive!  Dh knows I don't want it enough for him to actually spend that kind of money.  Eventually, I'll decide I want it enough to buy it for myself after saving my spending money for it.

I broke down and got this last year and just love it. I always worry sets I really want will be retired when I'm not looking. I love that they give you two sets of leaves! I just changed out the leaves for fall before Halloween, and it was a goofy kind of wonderful!

On 11/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

I am making gifts for my grandchildren from my stash of craft items. They are still small and won't care one bit that their gifts are Gigi made. Here's what I'm making for my granddaughter for her birthday. It's a traveling dollhouse for a felt "paper doll". There are little clothes for it in the wardrobe. I still have a few more touches for it and then it'll be ready to mail.

Truly a perfect gift. Store bought would never be so original and delightful as this. It has a warmth to it which is hard to explain and impossible to mass produce. 

On 11/10/2020 at 11:29 AM, athena1277 said:

Our master bathroom is cold in the winter.  I want a towel warmer.  

23 hours ago, Kassia said:

This sounds heavenly.  I am always freezing when I come out of the shower.

Another idea is a small electric heater. We pull ours out in the winter. It goes on when we go into the bathroom, heats up the small space before we're out of the shower (with the door closed), and goes off as we leave. Very effective and you never feel the cold at all—as you reach for your towel, as you step out of the shower, etc. The room is just extra toasty. We have one similar to this. I can't vouch for this model, but ours has lasted at least 10 years. They are safe too, because they are sealed like radiators.

3 hours ago, Ditto said:

Yes, you are right.   The most important stuff is stuff that is not found in a store.   They are too private for me to post here.

Me too. The most important things I want are not material, but given my inability to control the outcome of those things, I'll take the "golden, tinkling display of mechanized, electronic joy," as Ralphie puts it. 

I also want a Switch, originally for the Adventure Ring games, but now also for the Animal Crossing. I need my brain to disconnect from life sometimes, and I'm hoping this will work. 

I also want a tall butcher block cutting board because I'm tall and the height would help my back when I'm cooking. 

And plants and planters. The more the merrier. We were active duty for so many years that I wasn't a big plant person, but now that we're in our forever home, I want to fill it with green. I'm getting pretty good at not killing them! And I really want a dwarf lime and lemon tree in pots for the back patio. 

And LEGO Diagon Alley, but I probably won't get that one ever. LOL Maybe. DS14 really wants to get it for me because I collect the modulars, and he thinks it would be cool to fit Diagon Alley in there somewhere secretly.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Alte Veste Academy yeah, my dh REALLY wanted the Voltron set  and he doesn't even really like Legos like I do.  But he wanted last year when he was underemployed and looking for a job, so clearly it wasn't happening then.  Now that we are financially secure again I was going to get it for him for Christmas just to find out it was retired 😞 and now more expensive.  

• Sad 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, hjffkj said:

lego treehouse but I won't get it. too expensive!  Dh knows I don't want it enough for him to actually spend that kind of money.  Eventually, I'll decide I want it enough to buy it for myself after saving my spending money for it.

Is that the "Swiss Family Robinson" one with over 3000 pieces? Grandparents bought that for our kids last year - it's awesome.

We don't do gifts aside from kids' stockings so all I want is for my young adult kids to be here for a good amount of time (w/o their SOs would be really ideal) and just hang out having a blast with siblings. We had that last year and it was delightful - hours and hours of laughter and "family" jokes without hovering SOs ready to leave after 15 minutes. That's what I want.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 1:31 AM, Ditto said:

Where do you get super soft thick perfect wool socks?  I don't want them scratchy and I love super thick (kind of oversized) socks.

There’s a company in NZ that makes possum fur wool blend socks.  If imagine the shipping is horrendous to the US though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ditto said:

Yes, you are right.   The most important stuff is stuff that is not found in a store.   They are too private for me to post here.

Ditto on the too private thing, although I'm pretty sure several folks on these boards could take a good guess at what would be on the top of my wish list.

To try and get into the spirit of the thing: I did realize today that I could use a new set of measuring cups. I've had the same two sets of plastic ones--one of which was a freebie as part of some set of inexpensive stuff--for many years, and a bunch of them have gone missing or been destroyed in one way or another. I'd like a set of nice metal ones like my good measuring spoons.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

I am making gifts for my grandchildren from my stash of craft items. They are still small and won't care one bit that their gifts are Gigi made. Here's what I'm making for my granddaughter for her birthday. It's a traveling dollhouse for a felt "paper doll". There are little clothes for it in the wardrobe. I still have a few more touches for it and then it'll be ready to mail.

IMG_2714.jpg

Beautiful!  She'll love it!

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I did realize today that I could use a new set of measuring cups. I've had the same two sets of plastic ones--one of which was a freebie as part of some set of inexpensive stuff--for many years, and a bunch of them have gone missing or been destroyed in one way or another. I'd like a set of nice metal ones like my good measuring spoons.

I just replaced my Tupperware measuring spoons with some I found at Home Goods.  Love the new ones, and it was in the back of my mind that old Tupperware items weren't really safe items anymore.  BPA or such...

Edited by Tina

4 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

We don't do gifts aside from kids' stockings so all I want is for my young adult kids to be here for a good amount of time (w/o their SOs would be really ideal) and just hang out having a blast with siblings. We had that last year and it was delightful - hours and hours of laughter and "family" jokes without hovering SOs ready to leave after 15 minutes. That's what I want.

The stockings are just getting so hard as the kids get older!  I hope you'll share your best ideas.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 6:46 AM, Emba said:

I want a nice set of stainless steel pans. That is what I will buy myself at Black Friday sales, and I will think of it as a Christmas present.

I would also like a nice tenor ukulele, but I am fairly certain that despite being repeatedly shown that ukulele, DH will not buy it for me on his own and would go for a cheaper option, so I’m not going to ask for it, I’ll just wait and use Christmas money that I’m almost certain to get.

DH will get me something for Christmas because he knows I like to open a present, but it’s better if I don’t ask for a specific thing that I really want because he has history of substitutions: the year I really wanted an e-reader he got me a pig-shaped rack for making jalapeño poppers, last year I asked to have all my knives sharpened and he bought me a machine so that I could sharpen them myself. His heart is in the right place but it’s better if I don’t have any expectations and just get myself what I really want.

I bought the Kirkland brand set of stainless steel pans a few years ago and have been pleased with them. They were very well-priced and a purchase that continues to make me happy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

We don't do gifts aside from kids' stockings 

I love this idea.  My kids are adults and figuring out gifts for them is so stressful.  They aren't settled, so they are still moving around and don't want more "stuff" to have to move, plus they buy what they want anyway.  I'm good on stockings for my own kids (their SOs are kind of tough) and it would be so much less stressful and time-consuming if we just gave stockings.  

9 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Warning on the Darn Tough socks if you have sensitive feet. They turn the toes in a odd way, and I'd found they all have a lump at the sides. I started buying DT when dd moved to VT (they support her school and are made in VT) but I've given up on them. I like FtF, as they use US wool, unlike SW, but I've found they don't last as long. SW recently changed their micron count for wool, and I can wear them now. I had a LONG visit with the head of marketing for the western US after a concert one night in Denver (bf of one of the players) and the reason they were itchy was the inconsistency in their wool. That's what folks react to--the odd thicker fiber. They went up a few micron counts, in order to get more consistency, and they are producing a better sock. It's still not US wool though. That was probably more info than you wanted on wool!

I’m so glad you posted this because so many people rave about the Darn Tough socks but I get a blister on the side of my big toe every time I wear them hiking. It’s the lump at the side that you posted about. Curious what the FtF sock is that you mentioned? 

4 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Ditto on the too private thing, although I'm pretty sure several folks on these boards could take a good guess at what would be on the top of my wish list.

To try and get into the spirit of the thing: I did realize today that I could use a new set of measuring cups. I've had the same two sets of plastic ones--one of which was a freebie as part of some set of inexpensive stuff--for many years, and a bunch of them have gone missing or been destroyed in one way or another. I'd like a set of nice metal ones like my good measuring spoons.

I love my stainless measuring cups and spoons. They are such a pleasure to use. 

On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 AM, Emba said:

the year I really wanted an e-reader he got me a pig-shaped rack for making jalapeño poppers

I am sorry that you did not get the e-reader but this made me laugh and laugh.  

I would like 24 hours of complete solitude and total silence, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'd like to change my answer. I'd like a week, alone, in Hawaii, at a beachfront condo with a budget for meal delivery.

This would be my dream. I would take just a few days alone at the coast that's just a few hours away! DH is really bothered that I want this. I've done it once a few years ago, and he didn't give me a hard time about it, but I know he was a little hurt. 

7 hours ago, saraha said:

I would like a dehydrator, or one of those electric pressure canners. I’m boring. Some nice solar lights 

This is my wish list! Along with binoculars and a handheld GPS. I think the dehydrator is the only one I can realistically ask for budget wise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I’m so glad you posted this because so many people rave about the Darn Tough socks but I get a blister on the side of my big toe every time I wear them hiking. It’s the lump at the side that you posted about. Curious what the FtF sock is that you mentioned? 

I have to laugh as this summer when I did a mini backpacking adventure, my friend's brother that was with is had on Darn tough socks.....he said he knew why they never wore out....no one could wear them long enough to wear out.   He had to switch socks in the middle of our hike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have to laugh as this summer when I did a mini backpacking adventure, my friend's brother that was with is had on Darn tough socks.....he said he knew why they never wore out....no one could wear them long enough to wear out.   He had to switch socks in the middle of our hike.

I've never heard of problems with Darn Tough socks until this thread.  My family and I all wear them and love them!