Menu

Over 40? I need your help!!!!

Bensmom

I am growing a mustache😩

Why, oh why is this happening?  My older sis and mother do not have them. We are not hairy people. It wasn’t there 6 months ago, but there is no denying it any longer.  It is super light blonde  and fine, and strangely heavier on the left side. What could be causing this?  Not sure if I should see a gynecologist, a dermatologist, a general practice dr, or something else.  I am totally freaked out here. Please advise. 

(P.S.  I am 43 and still have a monthly cycle if that makes a difference)

Edited by Bensmom

Welcome to the over 40 club, we're hairier. Invest in good tweezers or a waxing routine. The chin hairs are really annoying. 

Why does it happen? I don't know the science, I just know the annoyance. Hormones I would assume. Know that you are not alone. 😒

• Like 6

No advice, or ideas, just commiseration. My DH has ...noticed.... that I am growing chin hair. Like, hard not to notice chin hair.

Yesterday he disagreed with me by saying, "Not by the hairs on your chinny chin chin." 

He left the kitchen before any true damage could be done to his person and stayed in his office for the rest of the day, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014HNOXZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.png.45a2cc87dd5cff154476306c0ec53c03.png
I've been seeing bloggers and IG influencers talk about these and using them all over their face.  They say it makes their makeup go on better and skin really smooth.  They've also said the hair does not come back thicker/darker.  

I've never tried them so I can't say.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys
  • Like 3

It happens.  Ugh.

The appearance of my own unfortunate chin hairs coincided with age (over 40), thyroid (Hashimoto’s), and onset of Addison’s Disease. I’m sure it’s all interconnected. You might consider getting a physical.  Hormone changes, birth control, etc could be culprits, too.  (Those were not issues for me, at least very unlikely - I had a hysterectomy in my 20s).

Get some good tweezers, or learn to wax.  

I had planned to gift myself a trip (multiple trips) to the medical spa for hair removal in June.  It didn’t happen due to Covid.  Aaaagh.  So disappointed.  If you do opt for that route, some hair removal options work best with dark hair on lighter skin.  So don’t wait too long!  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014HNOXZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been seeing bloggers and IG influencers talk about these and using them all over their face.  They say it makes their makeup go on better and skin really smooth.  They've also said the hair does not come back thicker/darker.  

Hey, I’ve looked at those, but have read some reviews that they can cause acne and hair bumps.  If you try, let us know?

31 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Hey, I’ve looked at those, but have read some reviews that they can cause acne and hair bumps.  If you try, let us know?

I shave my upper lip every day with an eyebrow razor. I don't care for the Tinkle ones. They are irritating to me. My favorite ones were Noxema eyebrow shapers, but they've been discontinued and people are charging insane prices for them on Amazon. Now I use the Walmart Equate ones and they are just fine.

I used to use bleach on those hairs, but I felt they were still too obvious. If you wax, you have to wait until the hairs are a certain length to wax them again, ick. Plucking is so time consuming and I feel like it's easy to miss some. Shaving works great for me and it takes about 30 seconds at most. The hairs don't grow back thicker. That's an old wives' tale. 

My hairs are heavier on one side, too. Go figure. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gosh, I think you're all lucky that you didn't have facial hair till you were over 40!  I've had it since I was 21!  But, I'm 90% sure all the gals in my family have PCOS.  I've bleached mine over the years, and plucked, but my dd (in her 20's) just had her upper lip waxed at a salon for the first time and thought it was great.  It has lasted nearly a month, and she plans to go back regularly.  I think it costs $13.  They said that over time, when you wax consistently, it usually thins the hair as it grows back out.  I think I'll give it a try.  If I like it, I'll probably figure out how to do it myself.

OP, I don't think I'd be concerned about it only starting now.  It sounds like that's how it has been for most people here.  However, since it doesn't run in your family, can always run it past your doctor.

(Oh, another dd of mine uses those eyebrow razors -- not sure if it's the Tinkle brand or not! ha   😄  But she thinks they're pretty slick.)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Gosh, I think you're all lucky that you didn't have facial hair till you were over 40!  I've had it since I was 21!  But, I'm 90% sure all the gals in my family have PCOS.  I've bleached mine over the years, and plucked, but my dd (in her 20's) just had her upper lip waxed at a salon for the first time and thought it was great.  It has lasted nearly a month, and she plans to go back regularly.  I think it costs $13.  They said that over time, when you wax consistently, it usually thins the hair as it grows back out.  I think I'll give it a try.  If I like it, I'll probably figure out how to do it myself.

OP, I don't think I'd be concerned about it only starting now.  It sounds like that's how it has been for most people here.  However, since it doesn't run in your family, can always run it past your doctor.

(Oh, another dd of mine uses those eyebrow razors -- not sure if it's the Tinkle brand or not! ha   😄  But she thinks they're pretty slick.)

Yeah, I had PCOS too, and bleaching just gave me a blond mustache, home waxing didn't work, then tweezing gave me ingrown hairs. So I finally went and did electrolysis. So now that I'm old, all the follices there are dead. Ha!

I should have had her do more work on the chin hairs....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bensmom said:

I am growing a mustache😩

Why, oh why is this happening?  My older sis and mother do not have them. We are not hairy people. It wasn’t there 6 months ago, but there is no denying it any longer.  It is super light blonde  and fine, and strangely heavier on the left side. What could be causing this?  Not sure if I should see a gynecologist, a dermatologist, a general practice dr, or something else.  I am totally freaked out here. Please advise. 

(P.S.  I am 43 and still have a monthly cycle if that makes a difference)

I haven't read the replies yet. I've had a hairy upper lip (and dark, mind you) since I was a pre-teen. it comes with my Persian heritage. My dd has had one also.

Electrolysis, laser, waxing (in that order, IMHO) - any of these can help.

My dd also got us both a device (similar to the one shown above), but not that one. Love that one. I'll have to ask her which one it is later. 

I would not recommend tweezing.  

Edited by Negin
  • Like 1

I just use a razor (the same one I use for my legs and underarms) once every week or two. I tried one of those eyebrow razors from Walmart and it did nothing at all but scrape my skin up. Could have been user error? The razor is easy and quick and something I'm already buying.

4 hours ago, klmama said:

OP, sorry to tell you, but your eyesight goes next, making seeing the hairs even harder.  Whatever approach you take, you'll want really good lighting and possibly a magnifying mirror.  

This is so true. One day I decided to borrow my daughter's lighted makeup mirror and was shocked at what I'd missed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MercyA said:

Shaving works great for me and it takes about 30 seconds at most. The hairs don't grow back thicker. That's an old wives' tale. 

Yup shave it and move on. You can wax at a salon and see how long it takes to grow back. Mine needed more maintenance so razor it is. And yeah my mother's is blonde all over, very fine, while mine is dark.

• Like 1

I am in the lighted and magnified mirror club too!  The chin hairs come back the next day!   I get (or at least was until early March) my moustache waxed.  I am trying to tweeze it right now.  My hair dresser just got a laser hair removal set and we had started treatments in February.  Hopefully we can get back to it once I can remove my mask in the hair salon.  Also, I recommend Tweezerman tweezers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

Are they like 25 and they just don't yet realize the consequences of their actions? (Eyebrows raised skeptically.)

My mother comes from a tribe of hairy people.  My Uncle Dave might be the missing link.  My son refused to wear shorts until he was 19 because of a fine downy coat.  I have a more (ahem) moderate hair issue, but I have more hair on my mustache than my husband's dear head.

Waxing.  It's all I have.  
And? On the upside, it's wildly bonding for the ladies in this family.  My 2nd oldest does the waxing because she's really into that kind of thing AND the other girls watch and cheer because they are apparently sadists.  I cry/giggle and try to work up enough bravery to do more than one strip.  It's a fiasco we repeat every couple of months.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, I had PCOS too, and bleaching just gave me a blond mustache, home waxing didn't work, then tweezing gave me ingrown hairs. So I finally went and did electrolysis. So now that I'm old, all the follices there are dead. Ha!

I should have had her do more work on the chin hairs....

I tried electrolysis once, YEARS ago, when it was a new thing.  She ended up scarring my chin!  I'm glad I didn't have her try my upper lip!  I'm sure they're a lot better at it now.

50 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Are they like 25 and they just don't yet realize the consequences of their actions? (Eyebrows raised skeptically.)

My mother comes from a tribe of hairy people.  My Uncle Dave might be the missing link.  My son refused to wear shorts until he was 19 because of a fine downy coat.  I have a more (ahem) moderate hair issue, but I have more hair on my mustache than my husband's dear head.

Waxing.  It's all I have.  
And? On the upside, it's wildly bonding for the ladies in this family.  My 2nd oldest does the waxing because she's really into that kind of thing AND the other girls watch and cheer because they are apparently sadists.  I cry/giggle and try to work up enough bravery to do more than one strip.  It's a fiasco we repeat every couple of months.

I agree!  🙂 

I have had this problem since I was a teen! My mom has it  too. She tried electrolysis for many many years and never really got anywhere with it, so other than tweezers I don’t think she knew how to guide me. So I tweezed and bleached (my mustache) for many years. Then I started using a cream, kind of like Nair, which worked pretty well.

My latest find is the Finishing Touch hair remover tool. It is really just an electric razor, but it works for me. You might want to give this a try as you are determine what works best for you. 

Finishing Touch Flawless Women's Painless Hair Remover , White/Rose Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KW9GTT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LVygFbM8XNYCC

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I tried electrolysis once, YEARS ago, when it was a new thing.  She ended up scarring my chin!  I'm glad I didn't have her try my upper lip!  I'm sure they're a lot better at it now.

Hasn't electrolysis been around forever?  I had this done almost 30 years ago when laser was a brand new thing; if it were now, I'd probably have chosen laser instead.  No scarring at all - the ingrown hairs from the tweezing,  however,  made it look like I had bad acne....

Um, I looked it up, and electrolysis for hair removal started in 1875 and was in commercial use by 1900... pretty sure you're not that old!  😉 Sounds like you had a bad tech... 😞

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Hasn't electrolysis been around forever?  I had this done almost 30 years ago when laser was a brand new thing; if it were now, I'd probably have chosen laser instead.  No scarring at all - the ingrown hairs from the tweezing,  however,  made it look like I had bad acne....

Um, I looked it up, and electrolysis for hair removal started in 1875 and was in commercial use by 1900... pretty sure you're not that old!  😉 Sounds like you had a bad tech... 😞

haha!  Well, I guess I'd never heard of it before then, anyway.  But, my experience was in the mid 1980's  ~  So I AM pretty old!

Okay, I did just look into it a little, and it sounds like equipment became smaller and easier to use in the 80's, so there was kind of a revival then.  I had it done in a department store!

3 minutes ago, J-rap said:

haha!  Well, I guess I'd never heard of it before then, anyway.  But, my experience was in the mid 1980's  ~  So I AM pretty old!

Okay, I did just look into it a little, and it sounds like equipment became smaller and easier to use in the 80's, so there was kind of a revival then.  I had it done in a department store!

I think I had it done in the early 90's?  But I did go to someone who just did electrolysis that had been recommended by a friend - a department store sounds sketchy!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, klmama said:

OP, sorry to tell you, but your eyesight goes next, making seeing the hairs even harder.  Whatever approach you take, you'll want really good lighting and possibly a magnifying mirror.  

YES. I remember someone saying here, years ago, that a magnifying mirror changed their life. It's true! I bought one soon after reading that comment and I can't believe what I was missing.

24 minutes ago, MercyA said:

YES. I remember someone saying here, years ago, that a magnifying mirror changed their life. It's true! I bought one soon after reading that comment and I can't believe what I was missing.

Wait.  Do I really want to know what I'm missing? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Hahaha, that's the ONE METHOD that has infamy in our family, getting brought up at picnics in discussion of pain. But obviousl it works for someone!

It does hurt the first time, but after that as long as you keep it up at least every 3 months the hair follicle doesn't get thick again. No hot wax, no waiting until hair is long enough to wax to use it again, but it lasts as long as wax.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Katy said:

It does hurt the first time, but after that as long as you keep it up at least every 3 months the hair follicle doesn't get thick again. No hot wax, no waiting until hair is long enough to wax to use it again, but it lasts as long as wax.

I’ve scrolled and scrolled and can’t find the original post!! What does?

9 minutes ago, Katy said:

thanks i think  :biggrin:  you would do tis on your face?

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

When I first decided to do this, my google-fu turned up a number of articles echoing that a razor for men was likely better, and the Gillette was specifically recommended. The differences I’ve noted are that the razor head itself is smaller (helpful for upper lip area) and there’s less likely to be extra moisturizer goo preloaded onto the blade head. 

oh see i like the moisturizer. but im doing it every day

9 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

I’ve scrolled and scrolled and can’t find the original post!! What does?

an epilator

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

thanks i think  :biggrin:  you would do tis on your face?

Yes, probably quarterly.  The blonde hairs on the corners of my mouth and a few around my jaw get 1/2" long and very visible if I don't do something.

For random thick whiskers I tweeze as I notice them.

I shave my face.  Sometimes with the tinkle razor sometimes a regular razor.  No issues, I don't have  a 5 o'clock shadow or a beard.  Occasional bumps.  Lots of you tube videos for reference.  I started waxing upper lip then noticed peach fuzz so researched shaving.

It’s caused by changing hormonal levels.  I am not there yet if ever (turn 40 on Monday and don’t have much body hair to speak of so not sure I’ll get any facial hair- my mom didn’t).  I have a friend though who is dealing with it now when she never had it before.  

On 7/22/2020 at 11:33 PM, wilrunner said:

I use this and tweezers.  Doesn’t feel great, but I just do it and get it done.  Tweezers clean things up.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, Seasider too said:

Similar here. I have a separate razor just for my face that I use every 3-4 weeks on my whole lower face. It’s just a Gillette Mach 3, I dry it well between uses. I’m not especially hairy but it’s like a simple micro planing session, keeps things smooth. As someone mentioned above, makeup goes on much nicer. Not that I’ve worn much of that in the last few months! I use tweezers for strays and maybe twice a year will get everything threaded along with a good eyebrow shaping. The threading is kind of ouchy, but it’s fast, not messy, cheaper than waxing and ime has a better look afterwards than waxing. I always felt waxing made my skin look a bit like plastic. 

eta I have tried those tinkle razors and did not care for them, I felt like I couldn’t get a close enough cut. 

Ladies using a regular razor: do you use shaving cream/gel? 

I was recently considering getting those microplane blades but now that you mention this, I can see the appeal of just using a normal razor, kept particularly for that purpose. 

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I only really do it before I know photos or something will be coming up because it makes make up go on flawlessly, and I do use shaving cream when I do. But I would be careful if your face is sensitive, that's another layer of product you are throwing on there that could potentially cause some grief. If I was doing it weekly I think I'd just use my foaming face wash. 

Good to know. I do have sensitive skin so it’s worthwhile to be alert to that. In fact, I have never (habitually, regularly) used any face wash soap or product. Never. Makeup remover for my eye makeup, but otherwise, water. Actually, that beings up a question as @Ordinary Shoes just said that about sunscreen. I do use a moisturizer with SPF but I don’t use sunscreen on my face. Whenever I try, it makes my face sting. This is true even with gentle types meant for faces, or meant for babies. I have never been able to figure that out beyond wearing a hat and staying in the shade.