Menu

Talk to me about a gas stove

Wildcat

I've never used a gas stove. Gas scares me. Probably because I'm just not used to it.

I've had gas water heaters and gas heat for the last 25 years but it makes me nervous.

We're house-hunting and a lot of the ones we like have the gas stoves (I assume the ovens are gas, too?).

I really don't want gas. Probably because I'm just not used to it. Yes, I just repeated myself. LOL  And probably because as a kid, a house in our neighborhood blew up because of a leaky gas oven, so that scarred me.

Should I just put on my big girl panties and give it a try? I know I could have it taken out, the line capped, and go back to a flat top electric, but should I try the gas? How hard is it to keep the tops clean? What i love about the solid surface is that they are a swipe-and-go thing.

Talk to me.

• Like 1

They are so much nicer to cook on than electric. No waiting for the stove to warm up and so much easier to control the heat.

I have had both and would install gas if we had to move into a house with electric. The stove is easy to clean with a green scrubby pad.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I've never used a gas stove. Gas scares me. Probably because I'm just not used to it.

I've had gas water heaters and gas heat for the last 25 years but it makes me nervous.

We're house-hunting and a lot of the ones we like have the gas stoves (I assume the ovens are gas, too?).

I really don't want gas. Probably because I'm just not used to it. Yes, I just repeated myself. LOL  And probably because as a kid, a house in our neighborhood blew up because of a leaky gas oven, so that scarred me.

Should I just put on my big girl panties and give it a try? I know I could have it taken out, the line capped, and go back to a flat top electric, but should I try the gas? How hard is it to keep the tops clean? What i love about the solid surface is that they are a swipe-and-go thing.

Talk to me.

I had electric smooth top for like 20 years.  I loved them.  So easy to clean.  New house has gas....I bought a new gas stove and it is not as difficult to keep clean as I feared.  I got the kind with hinged grates, so they swing up in order to clean easily.  The one thing I don't like is it take FOREVER to pre heat the oven.  

• Like 1

I didn’t find it difficult to get used to using one, and don’t find its any harder to keep clean. I can go either way between gas and electric though, it literally makes no difference to me or how I cook. I grew up with electric but have spent most of my adult life using gas. 

I think they are safer now because they have electric starters instead of a gas flame that’s always on. Now during a power outage you just start it with a match (stovetop only, not the oven). Gas is nice for security during storms. 

• Like 1

We had a similar house buying experience, but my DH was more nervous than I was. I've done enough camp-stove cooking to be unconcerned. What we decided was to just buy the house we liked in spite of reservations about the stove -- knowing that we could sell and replace it any time. I encourage you to just try it, knowing that it's not permanent if you don't like it. You can easily sell a used higher end gas range for enough to buy a replacement in the style you prefer.

Clean up is a bit annoying, but I like the heating speed and fine level of control with the gas stove, so I'm fine with it.

Undetected leaks are really rare with modern appliances. Things have improved safety-wise. One thing to be careful about is keeping kids' hair tied back when they use the stove (if they are short and their hair could reach the flame).

• Like 2

I would never have voluntarily gotten a gas stove. DH always wanted one, and our current house has one. I like it so much better than I'd ever imagined! It's easy to use and it's great to be able to use the stovetop even without power. We have a dual-fuel range, so the oven is electric.

• Like 2

If you really hate gas, you can always change out the stove.

as to whether the oven is gas or not, much depends on the price point.  many of the commercial style ranges have electric ovens.  they bake better.

I have a gas stove and an electric oven - I have no plans to ever go back.  and I grew up with electric coil burners.  gas is much more reactive, so when you lower the temp - you lower the temp.  you don't need to wait for the coil to cool off.

just be aware gas ranges have a much higher PSI requirements with exterior venting for the fans.  (which I would have welcomed with my electric range, but didn't get until I got my gas range.)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I much prefer gas to electric.

I feel like I have more control over the heat levels with gas, there's no preheat/cool down, and I always found gas easier to clean than electric.  

When I was a kid and we lived in Cleveland Ohio we would have power outages, and I remember my mom turning on the oven and cracking the door to keep the house warm.  (probably can't do that now though lol)

that is not safe - and has led to many a CO poisonings. 

but it is nice to be able to cook on the stove top even when there is no power. (we open a window.)

• Like 2

I had to use an electric stove for about 15 years. I was go glad to be able to go back to gas! Burners instantly on and off, much easier to control the heat.

I'm almost 70 years old. (!!!!) Most of that time, except for the 15 years of the electric stove, I have lived in homes with gas heating, water heating, and cooking. I have never had any kind of emergency because of the gas.

• Like 2

My new house had an electric stove.  As soon as I could, I had the plumber out to add a gas line for a stove and I went out and bought a new stove.

The best thing about my gas stove is it has the largest center griddle in a standard size stove.  I ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ that griddle.  We make pancakes, french toast, EGGS, burgers, and all manner of things on that and it just wipes clean.   I rarely use my trying pans anymore.

• Like 3

I grew up with a gas stove.  As an adult I've lived in houses with them and without them.  When I was in a house without a gas stove I missed it terribly. Earlier this year we replaced the range with gas and love it.  We had it converted to hook up to our propane tank.  In the future as we replace the water heater and drier we'll get gas versions of them. Our fireplace is hooked up to the propane tank too.

• Like 2

I've had a gas stove twice, and it's by far my favorite.  I know about being nervous about them though...  When my dh and I lived in Jordan (back in the 80's!), we had a gas stove where we had to turn on the actual tank before lighting the stove, and were told that if we ever forgot to turn off the tank, we'd die in our sleep.  (!!)  But, it's not like that here, and is probably not like that in Jordan anymore either.   You do have to make sure your burner is off though...  It's possible for the flame to die out even when the burner is on very low, meaning gas is still coming out but not burning.  But, we had it in our last home for over 20 years and never had a problem.  So, I will say there's probably a minuscule risk, but I don't think if I've ever heard of someone dying from a gas stove.   We don't have one anymore (in a rental now) and I really, really miss it.

HOWEVER, my environmentalist dd tells me that gas stoves are on their way out and electric stoves are cleaner, so...

• Like 2

Almost every time we move we switch between gas and electric stoves.  I hate gas.  I can use it, but I don’t like it. I hate trying to keep it clean.  Also, if you have littles, you absolutely must get knob covers because they are on the front, where little people can reach them.  Did I mention I hate trying to keep it clean?  Smooth top electric is soooo much better.

• Like 1

My mother likes gas and I don't. I think if you like smooth top, just tell the realtor that they should factor in the replacement cost or tell them to take their stove. People change stoves in new houses to get what they want. You could also decide to cook on it a while and then replace, selling the old, if you want to move on. 

I've had the Kenmore version of this stove https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-Gallery-Smooth-Surface-5-Elements-5-7-cu-ft-Self-Cleaning-Air-Fry-True-Convection-Freestanding-Electric-Range-Smudge-Proof-Stainless-Steel-Common-30-in-Actual-29-875-in/1001829632  for years and LOVE it. I was so pleased to see they're still making it. It's not a huge price compared to the cost of your house, so I think just do what makes you happy.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I ❤️❤️❤️ my gas cooktop.  I had an old gas oven at my old house that was slow to preheat, but it was mid-60s vintage and probably not representative of current models.  We bought my parent’s house that I grew up in and the first and only requirement after getting rid of the turquoise Formica countertops was getting rid of the electric range.  My first choice for safety was actually induction, but that proved to be cost prohibitive.  I will never willingly cook on electric cooktops if I can help it.  Both my mother and my sister have new electric cooktops at both ends of the price spectrum and both are amazingly slow to heat a pot of water.  I don’t know what they are doing to them right now.  My gas isn’t super speedy, but when off it doesn’t stay hot as long as electric and as can be used with the power out and the grates are nice to use as extra cooling space. I couldn’t cook without my cast iron skillets either. The burners on most cooktops are sealed and I have never had a problem with cleaning them.  I would pick the house you like and deal with the stove issue later.  Give it a try if that is what your favorite house has in the kitchen.  It is much easier to change the stove than the layout of the house.  Gas explosions are exceedingly rare and gas appliances are incredibly common, so I think it really more preference than safety at this point.

• Like 2

I love gas, and will always prefer it.  Growing up we had electric as well as in every apartment I ever lived.  However, when we moved into this house, it has a gas stove.  I love the control for cooking, can even cook somethings (like corn tortillas) directly over the flame, and I like that I can cook even when the power goes out, while doesn't happen often, but when it does it is usually a couple of days.  It is also easier to replace parts as well as inexpensive vs. the newer electric/glass top models.  In the 17yrs we have lived in the house, my husband has replaced a couple of the igniters for only a couple dollars each with minimal effort.  Cleaning for me isn't really an issue other than others (mainly DH) never cleaning up after themselves.  My model has a drip tray under each burner that is easily removed as well as can go in the dishwasher.  Also, I never put covers on my knobs as my children didn't bother them. 

If you have natural gas running into your house for other uses like the water heater or heat,  you are just as likely (which is low) to have a gas leak from one of those as you are a stove.  Because natual gas has a smell, it is easier to catch a leak than say faulty electrical wiring inside your wall.

Of course, you shouldn't "force" yourself into having one if you don't really want one either due to concerns or preferences if you are able to replace it.  

• Like 2

I prefer a gas stovetop and an electric oven and an electric nonstick standalone griddle.

Gas is more quickly responsive and controllable for burners.  Electric ovens and griddles deliver more even heat.

The last few decades gas stoves have pretty much lost their dangers as they don't have continuous pilot lights burning that could blow out and let unburnt gas into the room.  So I don't see a real danger to gas.  

• Like 3

I was in the opposite situation.  We were house hunting and one of the things on my wish list was a gas stove.  The house we finally settled on has an electric stove.  It is plumbed for gas.  I can't wait to replace it with gas!  I enjoy making jellies and jams and find temperature control on the electric almost impossible.  In our old house we had a dual-fuel range with gas cooktop and electric oven--it was wonderful!

• Like 1

I’m so terrified of gas (non-appliance-specific) my roommate and I didn’t have ours turned on for months in our first apartment, and we just microwaved everything! 

There’s no denying that gas stoves cook nicer. I use a commercial one from time to time, camp stoves, and a propane grill, so I cope with my fears, but it’s not going to stop scaring me, lol. I am open to considering sticking with gas whenever we finally move because it’s way better to can on too, but gas ovens have never done right by me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, txk said:

I've had both.  I got used to whatever I had at the time.  But I prefer electric.

My gas stoves were probably older versions, but they were harder to clean.  And I did smell propane sometimes with the last one.  But there's no telling how old that one was.  And I hated the gas oven.  I never used it if I could help it.  I bought a Breville countertop oven and used that since it was just me and dh.

Maybe the new gas stove/oven are better?  No idea.

Oh yeah, the smell makes me gag. My dad loves it. 🤷‍♀️

I can see myself buying a countertop oven when DS moves out. It would be more economical for sure. 

• Like 1

I have a gas stove for the first time ever.  I really do like it but I find it cooks things faster, especially on the stove-top.  There is a way to adjust the flame but I have not figured out how to do this even with Youtube and looking at the online manual.  Sigh.  I usually add extra water if I'm cooking things like rice on the stove top.

I've also had more trouble with oven fires when cooking things like bacon. 

Otherwise, I'm happy with it.  If I had lots of money and time I would prefer a gas stovetop and electric oven.    

• Like 1

There is a way to adjust the flame but I have not figured out how to do this even with Youtube and looking at the online manual.

Does your stove not have you adjust the flame by turning the knob? You turn it on and it's on the highest setting, and then if you keep turning it in the same direction the flame lowers until it's at the lowest setting.

• Like 1

I've had gas stoves, plain electric stoves and smooth top. In order of easiest to clean, I like the smooth top, then gas, the plain electric. I usually didn't have a choice as to what kind of cook top/stove the houses we lived in had. In this house I had a choice so we got a glass top (which by the way, I use my favorite cast iron skillet on everyday without any issues). My second choice would have been gas, probably propane. I do have a single propane burner that is rated to be used indoors (but it still recommends to ventilate well). We use it in case of a power outage and to protect my glass top for canning. I can also use it when I'm grilling outside so I don't have to run back and forth between the grill and the kitchen to watch something on the stove.

One of my favorite features of the gas stoves I've had is the ability to take the grates off and put them in the dishwasher and wipe the stove itself down easily. That's why it wins out over a plain electric coil burner stove for me.

• Like 2

Oh I much prefer a gas stove.  We swapped an electric for our current gas stove.  So much easier to control the heat for cooking.  That said, if you really didn't prefer gas there is no reason you couldn't swap the other way.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Does your stove not have you adjust the flame by turning the knob? You turn it on and it's on the highest setting, and then if you keep turning it in the same direction the flame lowers until it's at the lowest setting.

oh yes, that way.  But, there is a way to make the flame less intense.  For instance, for my stove the "low" setting is much more like "medium" .. it is not a low flame at all.   There is supposed to be a way to adjust that too.

• Like 1

We have a Gas stove. If you cook a lot, use the oven, etc., it saves a lot of $ and has a lot of other advantages. 

Note: My wife also has a little 2 burner Electric thing that she uses for certain things.

Power failures are (fortunately) very rare where we live (Colombia)  but they do happen. Usually for several minutes but on rare occasions, it might be several hours. Those are the times we are especially grateful to have a Gas stove.

Check them out and if you are afraid then buy a nice Electric stove.

Note: Our stove runs on 40 pound tanks of Propane gas. We live in a huge rural subdivision and I think about 5 years ago they installed Natural Gas lines here, but we are content with the tanks. If there would be an earthquake or other issue, we can go outside and turn off the valve on the gas tank and all is OK. We control the gas, with that portable tank. So, we decided not to pay for the installation of Natural Gas from the street to our house, which would also require that our Stove be converted to Natural Gas.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 10:50 AM, Dotwithaperiod said:

If the electricity goes out, you can still cook on a gas stove.

I use cast iron, also, which I don’t think works on a solid surface?

Cooking with no electricity is a nice advantage!

I use cast iron on solid surface with no problems. I don't know why it wouldn't work. 

3 minutes ago, Lanny said:

We have a Gas stove. If you cook a lot, use the oven, etc., it saves a lot of $  

Well, this obviously depends on the cost of electric and gas where the OP lives. 

• Like 1

I have a very good sense of smell.  Gas is awful if you have a good sense of smell.  I lived in a house with all gas for six months, and it drove me crazy!  I can manage with my gas dryer and furnace, but something about the stove/oven pushes me over the edge.  I have a hard time visiting friends with gas stoves. 

• Like 1

Wow. Thank you everyone!! I read each post but will have to go back and read them again because there is just so much to take in.

I have to tell you, though, that as I was reading all the wonderful things most of you have to say about gas stoves, my anxiety was ratcheting up with each post. 😅 I told dh about how helpful you all were and that I am convined to give it a try but that I was feeling so anxious even though most posts were supposed to be reassuring. Man, I must really be nervous about this! LOL. 

So, thanks again to each of you. Even the ones whose posts confirmed my fears. 😂  (fires? too high flames? AACK!!)

If we buy a house with a gas stove, I'll give it a shot for a couple of months. Dh said he won't bat an eye if I want to change it for electric.

So.... dumb question here. Will my cheapy Walmart pots and pans work or will they melt?  😳

On 5/12/2020 at 7:28 PM, Plum said:

My gas cooktop has a slightly smaller burner on the front right and that is a simmer burner. It's flame is much smaller than the others. You might want to check that out. 

I have a simmer burner too... it's also quite high and I'm often burning my rice in less than 15 min.  

I had cooking  brown rice down to a science on my electric.  It always came out perfect.  I find the gas cooks it much faster even on the lowest setting.  Dss19 did explain to me that using a smaller burner would produce less heat and so that helped a lot.