Menu

Are people howling in your neighborhood?

sassenach

I don't know if this is just a NorCal thing (cuz we're weird and we've been stuck in our houses for weeks) but someone in our county started this thing where he goes out every night at 8pm and howls. Pretty soon his whole neighborhood was in on it, and now it seems that the whole frickin' county is howling at 8. In one way it's fun and connects everyone. In another, it's just weird.

So tell me, are people howling in your neighborhood?

• Like 2
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 2

Ooh, ooh; I know this one!!! 

My goddaughter (in Colorado; I'm in Virginia) signed me up for a Facebook group called "Everyone Go Outside and Howl at 8 pm."  There are a LOT of people in this group.  I am not howling, but I have been intrigued by how many people I know are in it, including several old women from church who live locally.  

Nobody in my neighborhood is howling, but apparently some neighborhoods are quite active howlers.  

Edited by Terabith
punctuation
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

If the people start the howling, do the coyotes join in? Seems like something they might do. Dd is always getting our dog to howl that way. He'll go full-on mini-wolf if dd gets him going... (kinda glad the neighborhood howl hasn't caught on here... )

Yes, the coyotes and lots of neighborhood dogs join in. Sometimes I sit here trying to figure out if a particular howl is a dog or a person with a gift. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, sassenach said:

I don't know if this is just a NorCal thing (cuz we're weird and we've been stuck in our houses for weeks) but someone in our county started this thing where he goes out every night at 8pm and howls. Pretty soon his whole neighborhood was in on it, and now it seems that the whole frickin' county is howling at 8. In one way it's fun and connects everyone. In another, it's just weird.

So tell me, are people howling in your neighborhood?

In Yorketown they are all yelling cooee apparently Nothing here though.

In my county, no. But a friend in Amarillo posted about it. Not sure if it really did happen or not, or if it's still ongoing, or.......but yes, I've at least heard of this phenomenon. 

My neighborhood is busy setting up a "U Honk, We Drink" block party. (there was a meme.....ladies in lawn chairs in a driveway, holding up signs....now apparently our neighborhood is going to do this......). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just told my kids about this and said we should be sure to go outside and listen at 8 p.m. to see if anyone around here is doing this.  My youngest agreed enthusiastically and then proclaimed that we should do it anyway.  My 16yods  answers, "NOOOOO!  We don't want to be THAT family!"  - lol!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

In my county, no. But a friend in Amarillo posted about it. Not sure if it really did happen or not, or if it's still ongoing, or.......but yes, I've at least heard of this phenomenon. 

My neighborhood is busy setting up a "U Honk, We Drink" block party. (there was a meme.....ladies in lawn chairs in a driveway, holding up signs....now apparently our neighborhood is going to do this......). 

A socially distant drinking game? 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

A socially distant drinking game? 😂😂😂

apparently, yes. Because, Texas. Haven't you heard we're the drinkingest state during this??? (we are)

*I will not, personally, be participating. As one of my neighbors said: "I live on a cul-de-sac....how many times are you going to loop around???"  I suspect my neighbor asked for, umm, opposite reasons to me, but I shall abstain from the festivities regardless. 

12 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

No, but people are putting stuffed animals in their windows for kids to spot when they are out for walks. 

That is happening in areas of my town as well. At least, I saw a note about doing it on NextDoor.

Off topic https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/coyote-shot-dead-girl-bitten-dublin-park/

DUBLIN (CBS SF)  — A coyote that’s believed to have attacked and bitten a five-year-old girl in Dublin Hills Regional Park on Wednesday afternoon was located and fatally shot with a rifle early Thursday morning, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said.

... The injuries the girl suffered weren’t life-threatening, according to Foy.

East Bay Regional Park District police said on Wednesday that the girl was taken to UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital after the attack and was in stable condition. Foy said he doesn’t know if the girl has been released yet.

Foy said the coyote that was killed early Thursday has been taken to a Fish and Wildlife lab in Sacramento to see if there’s DNA that can be linked to DNA that was taken from the girl’s clothing.

Foy said the tests also are aimed at finding out if the coyote had rabies or another disease that could have infected the girl.”