Menu

help me with my grocery budget please

ktgrok

It is insane. Way more than our mortgage level insane. 

Caveats:

We need gluten free - DS7 has celiac and I keep the house gluten free for my sanity because I suck at detail stuff like not cross contaminating things, and so does he. 

DS7 is insanely picky - he was a decent eater before PANDAS but now not so much. But, he will also happily have cereal or a peanut butter sandwich or gluten free corn dog or whatever, if need be. 

DH needs lower sodium, non processed foods. He and I both need to limit processed carbohydrates to a minimum, but the kids can have them. Even too many beans, etc can sometimes spike appetite in DH and I it seems, but some are good/fine. 

I need to have stuff that I can pack for lunches for DH, the rest of us eat lunch here. the kids eat breakfast but I don't have to feed breakfast to anyone else. 

I need not complicated at this point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

I need to have stuff that I can pack for lunches for DH, the rest of us eat lunch here.

Can your dh have a list of 2-3 acceptable quick food places and just eat his lunch out? Wendy's has baked potatoes (plain) for $2 and side caesar salads also for $2. My dh is into bbq these days, and around here we have multiple bbq fast food places. If he chooses sides carefully, it can be low carb, yes.

• Like 1

I just started a trial of everyplate meal service.  $45 a week for 3 meals for 4 people.  They supply the ingredients and recipe card.  You pick three from a selection of 9 each week. Meat, potatoes, veggies, onions, garlic, rice, pasta are the main things we’ve received so far.  Only processed things maybe are the little packs of some spices or mayo or sour cream but you can use your own.  So I do Mon-wed with every plate, a pasta meal Thursday, and pizza on Friday. I know you can’t with the allergies, but it keeps up pretty affordable. Weekends my dh cooks.

breakfasts - I’ll premake and freeze egg cups- scrambled eggs with veggies/meat/cheese in muffin tins or premake banana muffins or such.  One dd just eats cereal.

lunch- salads, tuna, cheese and crackers, meatballs (Costco) and cheese, nuggets and veggies.  My kids hate sandwiches. Leftovers.

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Can your dh have a list of 2-3 acceptable quick food places and just eat his lunch out? Wendy's has baked potatoes (plain) for $2 and side caesar salads also for $2. My dh is into bbq these days, and around here we have multiple bbq fast food places. If he chooses sides carefully, it can be low carb, yes.

It isn't just that he needs low carb - he also needs low sodium. He was at the ER on Friday night/Saturday morning for stroke level blood pressure - what they nicely call a "hypertensive crisis". As we look back, the biggest thing that correlates with his blood pressure going up is eating out more often. 

6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

well, one route to simple could be just letting go of "HEALTHY"

What I mean is...so your DS7 has celiac and is also super picky.   As a parent of two kids who are super picky related to sensory issues, ASD, etc....just feed your DS7 what he eats.  Your DH is dealing with a thing and what your DS7 is willing to eat won't kill him for the next few months or years.  SO...............feed him what he will eat.  I fight hard to extend my kids palates, and still, my younger two won't touch a vegetable in any form.  Raw, cooked, hidden under the cheese in a pizza, etc etc.  Does marinara sauce count as a vegetable?  Cause DD9 will lick tomato paste out of the can................does that count? lol

Anyway, your DH....you mentioned in another thread that he had been to the doc....did the doc give a specific list, or only a generalized "lower sodium, non processed" sort of thing.

Thank you for this. I think I needed someone else to give me "permission", lol. I spent SO long trying to "not be a short order cook" as all the "experts" say. But all that happened was the rest of us ate worse, not that he ate better! 

So I'm shifting back to us eating decently, and he gets what he gets. He WILL eat some veggies (raw only) and dairy, and finally is eating some nuts, so I'm less worried. It has taken a year, but he has started eating more things. So he's not going to starve, and I need to remember that peanut butter and honey sandwiches, gluten free nuggets, nuts, yogurt, fruit, and carrots and tomatoes is fairly decent for a 7 yr old with food issues. 

So that leaves the rest of us. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

It isn't just that he needs low carb - he also needs low sodium. He was at the ER on Friday night/Saturday morning for stroke level blood pressure - what they nicely call a "hypertensive crisis". As we look back, the biggest thing that correlates with his blood pressure going up is eating out more often. 

Thank you for this. I think I needed someone else to give me "permission", lol. I spent SO long trying to "not be a short order cook" as all the "experts" say. But all that happened was the rest of us ate worse, not that he ate better! 

So I'm shifting back to us eating decently, and he gets what he gets. He WILL eat some veggies (raw only) and dairy, and finally is eating some nuts, so I'm less worried. It has taken a year, but he has started eating more things. So he's not going to starve, and I need to remember that peanut butter and honey sandwiches, gluten free nuggets, nuts, yogurt, fruit, and carrots and tomatoes is fairly decent for a 7 yr old with food issues. 

So that leaves the rest of us. 

Oh mama.  Our grocery budget beats our mortgage every month (including property tax and insurance, lol.)

Honestly, at some point I've grudgingly accepted that it costs a lot to feed a lot of people healthy food.  <<<<<<<growl.

That said, if we separate "Make a Food Plan" from "Make it Cheap" then I can be helpful.  And it is far less expensive than PREPARED healthy food.

I've been pretty public about the fact that I've stuck closely to Wahl's for a while now.

So:
Smoothie for Breakfast
Salad and sardines for lunch
Supper:
Meat, Veg, and Salad

To include daily:
6 cups of veggies
1 fruit
No dairy
No grains
Fat, fat, more fat.  The answer is always fat.
Broth and Berries for snacks

It's very, very simple.  But the tediousness of it takes a mental adjustment for those who are accustomed to asking, "What am I in the mood for?" Because the answer is, "It ain't about your mood or inclinations."

I eat to nourish my body and it sucks on a regular basis.  I'm mostly used to it and still a little bitter in case you can't tell.  That said?  I am glad I'm eating well.  If everyone ate like me, our grocery bill would go DOWN despite being organic.  Expensive prepared foods labeled GF are ridiculous.  Except the Off the Beaten Path Chips which are NOT okay, they ARE my singular cheat, and I do LOVE them.  I get a bag (to share) every two weeks and dip them in guac.

• Like 2

I won't address the actual "food" part bc  I am sure you'll get plenty of great ideas.  The actual budget part should always start with knowing what exactly you are spending on.  So, take a week / month / shopping period and write it down in great detail where $$ is going.  Dairy vs produce vs GF vs freezer items, etc etc etc. You  might be surprised that your leaks have nothing to do with food restrictions. Or if you do spend mostly bc of GF or specific diet items, then you can figure out how to deal with it.

• Like 6

I faced a similar challenge a few years ago.  I don't think I'm handling things perfectly, but they have improved.  My advice is based on our dynamics, so feel free to chuck away whatever advice is not helpful to you.

1. One component of our issues was *my* lack of planning for meals. I was not blocking out time in my day to prepare healthy foods.  I have some EF issues in this area.  I started setting phone alarms to start dinner.  I also came up with a fairly set grocery list and menu. 

2. Another component was that I would plan highly unrealistic meals for our family dynamics. I just don't have it in me to cook for an hour a day every evening. So, I was setting myself up for failure by not planning for the "real me" who has chronic health issues, two teens that need driving, a kid who still naps some afternoons, etc.

3. Dh, bless his heart, will not pack his own lunch.  He will happily eat whatever I make, but otherwise drops $15 in the work cafeteria. It is what it is, even if it is not what it should be, iykwim.

4. We have the same health issues, food sensory stuff, etc.  The sensory is not as extreme as it used to be. Ds used to eat about five things, so I do understand extreme limiting. And I have chimed in on food chaining.

That said, things I have learned:

1. Buying a $4 salad kit from Costco is cheaper than a $15 lunch, and a lot healthier.  While I try to bulk make some food (dh is eating quiche and salad a few times this week), I also sit down realistically Saturday mornings and know when I just need to plan for me *not* to pack a lunch.  So, coming up with a list of <$5 meals that are healthy helps.

2. Simplifying the menu also helps.  We usually have salad for lunch.  Dinner is usually hot and at least half of the time, is cooked in the instant pot. We break up the monotony from time to time, and then get back to it. 

3. For the most part, re: carbs, we eat as you describe above---1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 plate meat, 1/4 plate carb.  Portion size matters.  I find it helpful to make sure I include some sort of fat to get that satiety feeling, but I personally really cannot eat heavy portions of meat.  IOW, the meals have to become vegetable focused.

4. Buying a food processor saves me a crap ton of time.  Making taco meat in bulk (you can still do this low sodium by making your own seasoning blends) and then freezing portions saves time. There are certain things I do every week---boil 3 dozen eggs in my instant pot, dice onions, shred carrots, wash and shred lettuce and store it in mason jars, cook chicken in bulk, etc.  Because it is a routine as a whole, it's easier to stick with it. 

5. Plan for healthy snacks when things go wrong.

Most weeks, I can feed my family of 6 for $200 in a HCOL area (food only).  I have to work really hard. We buy very little in the way of packaged foods.  I had to pay $$$ upfront for some things--upright freezer, food processor, etc. to make it work (We acquired these over time.)  We buy mostly fruit & veggies, a little meat, a little dairy, and tortillas. I have a super boring shopping cart. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

As we look back, the biggest thing that correlates with his blood pressure going up is eating out more often. 

Since he's also going to eat out, you can look for low sodium options. The sodium in the baked potato I suggested is almost nil. https://fastfoodnutrition.org/wendys/plain-baked-potato  I eat out 1-2X a week because of ds' therapy trips, and I've had to be very careful. Today I ate the caesar side salad and that's what I had my ds eat, and it's also low sodium. https://fastfoodnutrition.org/wendys/caesar-side-salad  I'm not sure if that includes the dressing, but still it's a start. So if he needs to eat out, there are ways.

• Like 2

Fwiw, we eat defacto gluten free most of the time just because it's what the nutritionist pushed me to years ago. I don't use anything labeled gluten free. I just eat other things. Turkey chili, lentils, wild rice (cheap at Trader Joes), sweet potatoes, etc. We cook a lot in the instant pot, because it makes things so fast.

Do you have a Restaurant Depot close enough for one trip a month? And someone who has a business they allow membership to? Just ask around, you'll be surprised. We buy skinless boneless chicken thighs, eggs, frozen fruit, cheese, sausage, and produce depending on what is cheap there once a month and freeze things in the right amounts for meals. Eggs don't go in the freezer but we eat a lot of eggs so the 15 dozen get a prime spot in the fridge. It saves a ton. 

We also make our own yogurt weekly. A gallon of whole milk, some starter, and the instant pot saves tons with yogurt eaters.

We also do not buy many snack foods. Kids snack on fruits, veggies, nuts, yogurt, and the baked goods they make. 

Edited by hjffkj

34 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Oh mama.  Our grocery budget beats our mortgage every month (including property tax and insurance, lol.)

Honestly, at some point I've grudgingly accepted that it costs a lot to feed a lot of people healthy food.  <<<<<<<growl.

That said, if we separate "Make a Food Plan" from "Make it Cheap" then I can be helpful.  And it is far less expensive than PREPARED healthy food.

I've been pretty public about the fact that I've stuck closely to Wahl's for a while now.

So:
Smoothie for Breakfast
Salad and sardines for lunch
Supper:
Meat, Veg, and Salad

To include daily:
6 cups of veggies
1 fruit
No dairy
No grains
Fat, fat, more fat.  The answer is always fat.
Broth and Berries for snacks

It's very, very simple.  But the tediousness of it takes a mental adjustment for those who are accustomed to asking, "What am I in the mood for?" Because the answer is, "It ain't about your mood or inclinations."

I eat to nourish my body and it sucks on a regular basis.  I'm mostly used to it and still a little bitter in case you can't tell.  That said?  I am glad I'm eating well.  If everyone ate like me, our grocery bill would go DOWN despite being organic.  Expensive prepared foods labeled GF are ridiculous.  Except the Off the Beaten Path Chips which are NOT okay, they ARE my singular cheat, and I do LOVE them.  I get a bag (to share) every two weeks and dip them in guac.

This is helpful, thank you. I think more tedious will be what I need to embrace for now. Which is fine, actually 🙂

28 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I won't address the actual "food" part bc  I am sure you'll get plenty of great ideas.  The actual budget part should always start with knowing what exactly you are spending on.  So, take a week / month / shopping period and write it down in great detail where $$ is going.  Dairy vs produce vs GF vs freezer items, etc etc etc. You  might be surprised that your leaks have nothing to do with food restrictions. Or if you do spend mostly bc of GF or specific diet items, then you can figure out how to deal with it.

Good idea. I do think I have a pretty good grasp, and part of it is food waste. And prepared gluten free items that cost often twice as much as the regular version -mostly because there is no generic option. So a box of generic oreos is half the price of gluten free fake oreos. (actually, walmart has some generic ones, and we do buy those, but still more expensive). A loaf of bread that actually tastes okay and holds together is $7!!!!! And sometimes higher! With 6 people that makes a fast sandwich way more expensive than it used to be, when I could buy a loaf for $1.99. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

The bolded is what DD9 won't eat.  She will like tomato sauce....not eat tomatoes lol.  Oh, wait, she eats bananas too!  The only produce she eats.

DS7 will eat the yogurt off your list.............but nothing else.  He eats no produce.  

Do your other kids have things regarding "sameness?"  I think sometimes as moms we get wrapped up in "variety" as it's drilled into us that variety is healthy....eat a variety of fruits.  A variety of veggies.  etc etc.

if all the kids will eat gluten free nuggets and fruit.................gluten free nuggets and fruit are a perfectly acceptable dinner.  And then you can just make a small dish for you and your DH.  

Also, don't discount "bunch of stuff on a plate.  There are nights my kids eat.............a tortilla, a couple of slices of deli meat turkey, a yogurt, a container of junky goldfish, and drink milk.  And.................................that fills them up and wont' kill them.  In addition, it makes it really easy to add or sub....DD9 gets a banana with all that.  DD11 might sub hard boiled eggs for the turkey, and add a container of berries too.

I'm laughing here because I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who feeds them "bunch of stuff on a plate", lol. 

• Like 1

You have my "permission" too. You gotta raise the kid you have, not the little angel you dreamed of having.

One of my kids ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches for almost every meal around that age. 

He seems to have outgrown that along with many other sensory sensitivity issues. I think there are still a few foods he avoids but he eats a pretty decent diet overall. I didn't have it in me to even worry about his nutrition at that stage, too much else needed my attention.

You have my blessing to feed the kids whatever they will eat.

That said, there's a reason our grandparents and earlier generations made what we call "farm food."   That means forgetting practical fancy, one dish or whatever meals and doing a serving of protein, a serving or 3 of veggies, a serving of bread, a potato, a serving of dairy, and a fruit for dessert.   This means that at the next meal you bring out the leftovers from the previous meals.  There might be 10 tupperware bowls of stuff on your table, but one kid will finish the corn, another will finish the peas, a third will add toppings to her mashed potato and not eat anything else.  It's boring, but it's also quick and easy.  All you need are some glass lock containers, some spices, and some "Lite" salt so no one but you & DH think it tastes different than usual.

I know many people do best on high fat, but no added fat, low salt would probably be what a cardiologist recommends for a man with angina and high blood pressure.  It's the only thing proven to reverse heart disease.

If you want it to be fuss free or just have backups, buy some ziplocks for individual servings.  Pre-cook the proteins and freeze them in ziplock bags, all the chicken inside one freezer bag, all the fish inside another.  Pick whatever grocery store is having a sale of steam bag vegetables and buy every variety your family likes.  This way when you're overwhelmed you can just microwave everything.  It's not exciting, but it is faster and cheaper than going for fast food.  And with tons of (leftover) options out, chances are every kid will eat some veggies, even if they aren't interested in all the things.

Add (homemade so no salt) salsa, squeezes of citrus wedges, or salt-free spices to everything so you get good flavor without added sodium.

• Like 1

And yes, I mean add back in the potatoes for your DH, even if they aren't low carb.  You can pre-bake them twice a week and keep in the fridge.  They are the most filling food for the calories (assuming you don't add fat), and they are VERY high in potassium, which means a full stomach and lower blood pressure.  Also if you bake them in advance and then cool before eating, even if you reheat some of the starch will turn to resistant starch, which prevents colon cancer.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Katy said:

And yes, I mean add back in the potatoes for your DH, even if they aren't low carb.  You can pre-bake them twice a week and keep in the fridge.  They are the most filling food for the calories (assuming you don't add fat), and they are VERY high in potassium, which means a full stomach and lower blood pressure.  Also if you bake them in advance and then cool before eating, even if you reheat some of the starch will turn to resistant starch, which prevents colon cancer.

I'd forgotten about the resistant starch thing ! I have just the past week or so been making baked potatoes and keeping them in the fridge for myself - lunch of a baked potato and veggies and cheese is very satisfying for me, or diced and heated in a skillet with eggs for lunch. And they are an easy thing to add to DH's lunch and not the same effect as say, a muffin or something. Tonight I baked up some sweet potatoes for the same reason. 

19 minutes ago, Katy said:

You have my blessing to feed the kids whatever they will eat.

That said, there's a reason our grandparents and earlier generations made what we call "farm food."   That means forgetting practical fancy, one dish or whatever meals and doing a serving of protein, a serving or 3 of veggies, a serving of bread, a potato, a serving of dairy, and a fruit for dessert.   This means that at the next meal you bring out the leftovers from the previous meals.  There might be 10 tupperware bowls of stuff on your table, but one kid will finish the corn, another will finish the peas, a third will add toppings to her mashed potato and not eat anything else.  It's boring, but it's also quick and easy.  All you need are some glass lock containers, some spices, and some "Lite" salt so no one but you & DH think it tastes different than usual.

I know many people do best on high fat, but no added fat, low salt would probably be what a cardiologist recommends for a man with angina and high blood pressure.  It's the only thing proven to reverse heart disease.

If you want it to be fuss free or just have backups, buy some ziplocks for individual servings.  Pre-cook the proteins and freeze them in ziplock bags, all the chicken inside one freezer bag, all the fish inside another.  Pick whatever grocery store is having a sale of steam bag vegetables and buy every variety your family likes.  This way when you're overwhelmed you can just microwave everything.  It's not exciting, but it is faster and cheaper than going for fast food.  And with tons of (leftover) options out, chances are every kid will eat some veggies, even if they aren't interested in all the things.

Add (homemade so no salt) salsa, squeezes of citrus wedges, or salt-free spices to everything so you get good flavor without added sodium.

Thank you - this is pretty much exactly what I'm doing this week, and it seems to be working pretty well. Protein plus some steamed or roasted or sautéed veggies or fruit with some potato or rice, or protein on top of a salad with some combination of fruit/veggies/cheese/nuts/beans/etc. 

• Like 1

I hear you on the food bill bigger than a mortgage thing... same deal here.  
one thing we’ve been enjoying a bit that’s kind of low carb is where we do tacos but the next day we have all the bits with corn chips.  We can get a bulk pack cheaply.

we also do lots of “stuff on a plate” meals

also, I know not everyone’s the same but we spend less when I don’t menu plan.  If I get meat for 7 meals veg and milk cereal and yoghurt I can usually come up with enough but I can buy what’s on sale rather than buying ingredients for a specific recipe.  Then stuff that our family uses regularly I buy whenever it’s on sale as well.  (40pc or more off anything less isn’t worth it).  Every time I make a menu plan I spend more.

Do a use it up meal the day before you shop.  Whatever fruit, veg etc are left over need to get cooked and eaten for dinner or frozen that day.  Then you can wipe the fridge out and restock.

also I try to keep the top shelf of the fridge free for leftovers that need eating and keep an eye on it.  That way I’m more likely to find the stuff before it’s questionable and use it.

Edited by Ausmumof3

We aren’t gluten free but I have carried corn tortillas to England many times for a friend who is.........Not sure if they work for you but throwing the idea out there. 

My kids have always been pleased with tortillas as the base of a lunch instead of bread.  I have never done peanut butter on corn tortillas but my kids probably would eat them. 😂 Definitely cheaper when thinking of $7 bread.  Quesadilla’s with just cheese, chicken added, retried beans, etc. are easy and good.  Salsa on the side is a bonus.  Tortillas with pizza toppings super popular at my house,  the favorite is pesto pizza.  A friend uses them as hot dog buns.......

• Like 2

When I get in a diet rut, I go online and look at restaurant menus. Maybe you could try this with gluten free restaurants. It used to help me meal plan, not only because it gave me ideas on combining main items and sides, it also gave me ideas on price.  I would use appetizer ideas as snacks and/or side dishes.  You can modify recipes to fit you or your husbands dietary needs pretty easy (ie cook with less salt and add as needed to individual plates).

• Like 1

Put everyone on nothing but raw foods (fruits and vegetables) or lightly cooked vegetables, and simple, acceptable for all family health issues,  cooked meats and just water or sparkling water to drink for one month.  Maybe add vegetable and fruit smoothies as option at least for kids (and if absolutely needed coffee or tea for parents).  It may not save hugely on grocery bill (though should save some not to have expensive gluten free processed foods),  but it may start helping on medical bills .  

Accept food as being as important to life as shelter . 

I’m not good at picturing menus for the combination you’re describing, so I’ll stick to the things that have kept me shrinking my grocery budget over the past few months.

I really do love Aldi’s. That said, there’s a Walmart and Weis near mine, so I can easily fill in if Aldi’s doesn’t have everything I need or if their produce doesn’t look so hot one week.

Shopping based on a detailed meal plan is everything.  A meal plan based on what’s on sale each week is huge. When there’s room left over in the budget, getting extra of what’s on sale frees up room in the following weeks to keep that ball rolling. Ordering those groceries online keeps you aware of your total and reduces impulse buy (and usually identifies the sale items easier.)

I’m an extremely big fan of having “just in case” stuff on hand, but I’ve been getting more strategic about the things I do that with.  If I get too many easy to grab items, everyone will use them before making good use of leftovers and odds and ends, or they’ll fill up on them through the day. Then we’re out “regular” stuff as well as the easy stuff.  Last week, the only food we wasted wound up being a very small piece of chicken, a few grapes, and some celery (which I could argue had really been past its prime the week before.)

I’ve had two very picky eaters over 20 years, but not at the same time, thank goodness!  Still, I’ve tried to keep something they’d eat on hand at all times. Currently, that’s any form of plain chicken, plain pasta, cheeses, and tortillas. If my planned meal doesn’t have anything he’ll eat in it, he or I can still make him a plate in just a minute or two.  Pretty much the sam goes for my pescatarian. There’s no reason for me to make an entirely separate meal.  I make sure to use non-meat ingredients in anything that isn’t inherently meat-based so she doesn’t have to worry. I don’t use whole eggs in anything that isn’t inherently egg-based so dh (egg-intolerant) doesn’t have to worry.  I’d do the same for low sodium if needed, so I wasn’t juggling entirely separate dishes. (Other than possibly a quick reheated dish for a picky eater.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mumto2 said:

We aren’t gluten free but I have carried corn tortillas to England many times for a friend who is.........Not sure if they work for you but throwing the idea out there. 

My kids have always been pleased with tortillas as the base of a lunch instead of bread.  I have never done peanut butter on corn tortillas but my kids probably would eat them. 😂 Definitely cheaper when thinking of $7 bread.  Quesadilla’s with just cheese, chicken added, retried beans, etc. are easy and good.  Salsa on the side is a bonus.  Tortillas with pizza toppings super popular at my house,  the favorite is pesto pizza.  A friend uses them as hot dog buns.......

Unfortunately none of us but DH actually like corn tortillas, lol. Well, I can sort of tolerate them if heated up well first, but I'm just as happy to skip the tortilla altogether so that isn't much help. I used to use regular flour tortillas for quick lunches but no one loves the gluten free version, or the corn ones 😞

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Can you eat leftovers for lunch? That reduces our food waste nearly to zero.

I do, and DH will be doing that now for sure. When he wasn't, that was part of the problem. After bariatric surgery I can't eat enough to make it through all the leftovers on my own! With him eating them that should help a lot. And I need to just be firm and have leftovers for dinner if we get to the point where they need to be eaten. 

• Like 2

You know, I just realized, I may want to give myself a bit of grace on the grocery budget given that we almost never eat a full meal out. I mean, DH was, but I eat a meal out maybe once every few months I think, if that. DD and I had subway this past weekend after her hike since it was just us, so we didn't have to worry about gluten, but that is rare. 

The only place DS can eat around here that he actually likes and is convenient is Chik Fil A, and even it isn't particularly close so we rarely go. Again, maybe every two months. Now, starbucks....that had gotten a bit too frequent, maybe twice a week, but that's been cut out already. 

So maybe it isn't just the buying of gluten free substitutes driving up my budget, but also that we are eating home more. (although those substitutes ARE a part of it - a gluten free frozen pizza is $9 or $10 versus $6 for instance) but at worst, it is still cheaper than a fast food meal. 

• Like 5

Ok, I started to organize my fridge yesterday and am going to get a few more bins today a the dollar store if I don't have the right size in my stash. I put all the shredded cheese in one bin (we use it a lot and it was BOGO the other day) as that is one of the items that I seem to lose in the fridge, another gets opened, they both get yucky, etc. 

More, I had been using the bottom drawer for meat, which meant the meat was out of sight and the fruit and vegetables were squished into one drawer and/or hidden around the fridge. But I don't like putting meat just on a shelf as I worry it will drip onto things. So I put the meat in a bin on the shelf, and now the veggies get one drawer and the fruit the other so we can see what we have. That should help.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Soup makes a great lunch. it is easy to take to work. many workplaces have the ability to heat up food, or a food thermos could be used to keep it warm. Plus soup is a very very cheap  nutritious meal to make.  in Autumn, Winter and Spring it is what DH and I eat for lunch just about every day.

Do you have anything with it? Hard to for me to think of soup as a total meal without some bread or something on the side. 

20 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, any ideas for cheaper, kid friendly snacks and goodies? 

I’m trying to think of what my kids do that’s naturally GF.
They’ll munch on granola or just quick oats/cheap instant oatmeal. I buy big tubs of plain yogurt and they’ll toss whatever into it (fruits, honey, oats...). They’ll make smoothies out of just about anything. I keep my NutriBullet on the counter at this point!  Fruit with dessert humus or caramel, which is cheap to make from scratch.  Vegetables with ranch, because of course it has to be ranch.  They’re fine with generic string cheese (I, however, am not.). Eggs, all sorts of ways.

For junk food, I’m a sucker for Aldi’s Fritos knockoffs ($.79) and tortilla chips ($.89). Their salsa and cheese sauces are inexpensive, too.  I try to get my fill before the kids realize we have the

We go through a lot of apples and peanut butter around here for snacks.  I’ve never gotten in the habit of buying storebought cookies for snacks, so my kids don’t miss them. I do sometimes let them have graham crackers and peanut butter, would graham crackers be cheaper than What you currently buy? 

Some days my kids won’t even eat a snack because the options are all fruit and they don’t want it. They grumble a little, but I figure if they’re actually hungry they’ll eat the fruit.

• Thanks 1

With meal planning, I find I have a tendency to think very idealistically about how much prep work I’ll be willing to do sometimes. I have to be realistic about how tired I will be when supper time comes, or I buy food that goes to waste because on the evening the meal is planned I take the easy way out and cook convenience foods instead.

45 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

You know, I just realized, I may want to give myself a bit of grace on the grocery budget given that we almost never eat a full meal out. I mean, DH was, but I eat a meal out maybe once every few months I think, if that. DD and I had subway this past weekend after her hike since it was just us, so we didn't have to worry about gluten, but that is rare. 

The only place DS can eat around here that he actually likes and is convenient is Chik Fil A, and even it isn't particularly close so we rarely go. Again, maybe every two months. Now, starbucks....that had gotten a bit too frequent, maybe twice a week, but that's been cut out already. 

So maybe it isn't just the buying of gluten free substitutes driving up my budget, but also that we are eating home more. (although those substitutes ARE a part of it - a gluten free frozen pizza is $9 or $10 versus $6 for instance) but at worst, it is still cheaper than a fast food meal. 

I think this is a REALLY important recognition.  It does cost more on the food bill to eat at home but LESS than eating out.  The switchover to seeing that impact on the food bill is significant.  Costco cost me $650 last Wednesday and I guarantee that's not two weeks worth - we're already out of fresh fruit.  SMH.

I *do* intentionally do a few things that might help you.
Obviously, plan.  Plan results in less, "Hey can you stop by and pick up..." Because asking anyone to pick up anything at 5pm and expecting them to not come home with snacks and just what you needed/wanted is impossible. Moreover, every time you step in the grocery store, you will pick up extras.  I generally see people underplan resulting in overspending.  I think it's important to set a REALISTIC budget.  It's a  great number and it feels good to write $1,200 as the grocery budget every month, but if you're realistically going to go over that by $500 without being splurge-y, maybe it's time to be realistic to minimize the shock and awe.  :P  😉

42 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

More, I had been using the bottom drawer for meat, which meant the meat was out of sight and the fruit and vegetables were squished into one drawer and/or hidden around the fridge. But I don't like putting meat just on a shelf as I worry it will drip onto things. So I put the meat in a bin on the shelf, and now the veggies get one drawer and the fruit the other so we can see what we have. That should help.  

We heavily utilize our freezers - we have two beyond the one attached to the fridge.  So I'll buy two weeks worth of meat (or what's on sale) and freeze it.  The goal is to pull 1-2 days out at night and put them in a tray/pan/bowl to unthaw in the fridge.  (That works with a 2 day planning.  Often it's a throw it on the counter at 10AM when I remember that I didn't remember...)

And to that end - we HEAVILY utilize the freezers for fruit and veg.  Because we consume SO MUCH in fruit and vegetables, the most economic way to do it is frozen.  Now, it could be argued that produce (in season) is cheaper and often we will do that as well.  But, we also buy in bulk and so if I buy everything for two weeks in fresh produce, some of it will NOT be okay in 14 days.  We do get lettuces and greens at the beginning of week 2.  However, Costco carries a lot of produce that is frozen and organic and we waste less.  I really hate forgetting about the broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, or brussel sprouts and throwing out a slimy bag of ew.  

Snacks - berries.  They really are fantastic for the kids.  They eat a LOT of frozen berries and fruit. They like raw veggies.  We are trying to reduce our snacking.  If you think about it, snacking is probably your least healthy food AND it's not a good habit for healthy mitochondria in the gut.

13 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

This is helpful, thank you. I think more tedious will be what I need to embrace for now. Which is fine, actually 🙂

Good idea. I do think I have a pretty good grasp, and part of it is food waste. And prepared gluten free items that cost often twice as much as the regular version -mostly because there is no generic option. So a box of generic oreos is half the price of gluten free fake oreos. (actually, walmart has some generic ones, and we do buy those, but still more expensive). A loaf of bread that actually tastes okay and holds together is $7!!!!! And sometimes higher! With 6 people that makes a fast sandwich way more expensive than it used to be, when I could buy a loaf for $1.99. 

I think part of the transition from the standard diet to gluten free to a focus for health is the transition from: Initially, "This is what I eat," to "How do I replace what I ate," and then, "Now I don't try to replace."  And it's something that takes time.  If we look at the "replacement" foods for GF, they are generally high in starches and sugars.  They're not "healthy" alternatives, they're just alternatives to gluten and that's an important difference.  When looking at minimizing your food budget, it's important to ask, "How can I get the best nourishment for my money?" And gf prepared foods are not going to be it, unfortunately.  They fill a niche in the transition of familiarity and feeling less "punished" but they are not necessarily more nourishing.  I will say that you will want to consider B vitamin supplementation because we, as a society, take in so much through grain that has been enriched.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I think this is a REALLY important recognition.  It does cost more on the food bill to eat at home but LESS than eating out.  The switchover to seeing that impact on the food bill is significant.  Costco cost me $650 last Wednesday and I guarantee that's not two weeks worth - we're already out of fresh fruit.  SMH.

I *do* intentionally do a few things that might help you.
Obviously, plan.  Plan results in less, "Hey can you stop by and pick up..." Because asking anyone to pick up anything at 5pm and expecting them to not come home with snacks and just what you needed/wanted is impossible. Moreover, every time you step in the grocery store, you will pick up extras.  I generally see people underplan resulting in overspending.  I think it's important to set a REALISTIC budget.  It's a  great number and it feels good to write $1,200 as the grocery budget every month, but if you're realistically going to go over that by $500 without being splurge-y, maybe it's time to be realistic to minimize the shock and awe.  😛😉

We heavily utilize our freezers - we have two beyond the one attached to the fridge.  So I'll buy two weeks worth of meat (or what's on sale) and freeze it.  The goal is to pull 1-2 days out at night and put them in a tray/pan/bowl to unthaw in the fridge.  (That works with a 2 day planning.  Often it's a throw it on the counter at 10AM when I remember that I didn't remember...)

And to that end - we HEAVILY utilize the freezers for fruit and veg.  Because we consume SO MUCH in fruit and vegetables, the most economic way to do it is frozen.  Now, it could be argued that produce (in season) is cheaper and often we will do that as well.  But, we also buy in bulk and so if I buy everything for two weeks in fresh produce, some of it will NOT be okay in 14 days.  We do get lettuces and greens at the beginning of week 2.  However, Costco carries a lot of produce that is frozen and organic and we waste less.  I really hate forgetting about the broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, or brussel sprouts and throwing out a slimy bag of ew.  

Snacks - berries.  They really are fantastic for the kids.  They eat a LOT of frozen berries and fruit. They like raw veggies.  We are trying to reduce our snacking.  If you think about it, snacking is probably your least healthy food AND it's not a good habit for healthy mitochondria in the gut.

I think part of the transition from the standard diet to gluten free to a focus for health is the transition from: Initially, "This is what I eat," to "How do I replace what I ate," and then, "Now I don't try to replace."  And it's something that takes time.  If we look at the "replacement" foods for GF, they are generally high in starches and sugars.  They're not "healthy" alternatives, they're just alternatives to gluten and that's an important difference.  When looking at minimizing your food budget, it's important to ask, "How can I get the best nourishment for my money?" And gf prepared foods are not going to be it, unfortunately.  They fill a niche in the transition of familiarity and feeling less "punished" but they are not necessarily more nourishing.  I will say that you will want to consider B vitamin supplementation because we, as a society, take in so much through grain that has been enriched.

This was super helpful, thank you!

1. we do not have any extra fridge/freezer space. One standard side by side for the family of 6 (3 adults, 3 kids). This is I think part of the problem. If I stock up enough to not always be a the store you can't see what is in there. I don't know that I need a chest freezer as much as just a second regular fridge/freezer combo for the garage. That would let me store extra milk, half and half, eggs as well as frozen stuff. 

2. being realistic. I heard someone say $100 per month per person...and that was so so so far off of where we are....but that same person I think says they eat out twice a week. 

3. Yes - I gained 10 pounds since we went gluten free from all the processed stuff. I think shifting to natural foods will help that and our budget. 

• Like 2

We spend $800 or less for everything a month.  That is all paper, cleaning, dog food, anything I can buy at Walmart like socks, vitamins, underwear, light bulbs.....

That is a family of 7, where 3 or 4 of my kids out eat dh and I.  They are all dancers and my 2 oldest are pre-pro so they eat a ton.  They need lots of snacks and mini meals to get through 3 plus hours of dance everyday.  It is all our meals all month, we don't eat out and the kids are here all the time.   We don't have any allergies or special diets.   We do shop at Walmart some, but do a lot more at Aldi.  That helps.  Not sure if they have gluten free things, as I don't look for that. 

Shop at Aldi.

Get organized in your fridge and pantry and use what you have.  Also this helps you eat everything before it goes bad or see what you need.  

Find some cheap meals that you can eat for days.  I don't know anything about the special diets you need, but we do things like Chili that can last for 4 days.   Dh made some ground beef as he was making a meal on Monday.  We ate it Monday, yesterday, and will eat it again today. 

Snacks, I do buy a lot of pre packaged things.  I could save a lot if I didn't.  But I need my sanity too.  Dance takes up 6 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week for us when we are not in rehearsals, because we have a 2 plus hour commute.  I can't do everything.   And they also want variety for meals that they eat at dance everyday.   Lunch is usually leftovers, dinner at dance is more lunchish  with a sandwich, sushi, soup, salad or bagels.   Unless I make a huge batch of something we don't have many leftovers.  

Stock up your pantry and freezer when they have sales.  We don't have extra fridge or freezer space, but we can stock up the freezer a bit.  

Honestly for us it is mostly getting a handle on the waste issue.  

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Do you have anything with it? Hard to for me to think of soup as a total meal without some bread or something on the side. 

Soup can have potatoes in it (leek and potato, cullen skink), grains (whatever gluten-free grains work for you), lentils, beans or corn.  Plenty of substance there.

ETA, if you want to be eating something else, then a salad to go with, but the soup can be very filling. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, any ideas for cheaper, kid friendly snacks and goodies? 

I stock up on canned peaches (Delmonte is gf, per their website) when they're on sale. But we are also struggling with the fact that calories have to come from somewhere and a lot of good options are off the table (e.g., DS hates avocado and can't eat crunchy foods while he has braces).

I feel you. Our Aldi is neither as good as they're supposed to be nor close; all we get is the gfree mac and cheese.

Beware of sodium in cheese and meat products and canned broths. Here's what I use for vegetable broth; it contains no salt.

Just an FYI on "cheaper alternatives", even if something is naturally GF, the safest brand without cross-contamination might be double the cost.  Bulk bins are not safe.  Cheap lentils are not safe (I buy the Palouse brand on Amazon, but they are double the cost of the ones at Aldi - DH did react to the store brands).  Regular oatmeal is not safe (and GF-certified oats are often organic, which costs more).  Store-brand nuts usually have a cross-contamination label (Planters are okay here but others have issues, and Nuts.com is usually fine).

So keep that in mind when people recommend subbing oatmeal for cereal and lentils for meat.  Sticking to specific brands isn't going to make the cost savings as pronounced as it would with someone who doesn't have to read labels.

DH has celiac and I have a wheat allergy.  We eat every single meal at home (or bring it with us), shop at Aldi and Costco, and average about $975/month in a low-moderate COLA.  It's high, but we also can't order pizza, DH can't go out to eat at work, sometimes I have to feed extra kids who are used to gluten-filled meals (and I am NOT cleaning up tacos and rice after six kids, sorry), and we don't have relatives ever feeding us because we eat before we go (or bring it with us).  And I know GF hamburger buns are expensive, but sometimes you just need a freaking burger.  Still cheaper than a restaurant, but you can't hide it from your grocery bill in a separate category.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 2

Have you looked at using the Healthy Request canned soups as bases for other things, to save time?  They are not that expensive and they *work*.  Lowered salt and fat might make them decent options.

Ex.  1 can of cream of chicken plus 1 can of chicken with rice plus 1 can of milk, whey, or water makes a pretty good soup lunch that feels heartier than its calorie count would imply.

Also, what grows near you?  Can you buy it locally in season?  I'm assuming citrus is big in the area--if eaten whole, it might not be that bad (juice is high carb/hi GI of course.)  Or use it to make salads have more variety.  Does someone in your neighborhood sell fresh chicken or duck eggs that you could subscribe to?  That might be cheaper and healthier than store ones.

When my DH was low carb he at a huge bowl of greens every day, with protein on it, as one of his meals.  The protein was a rinsed can of beans, fresh shrimp or prawns, chicken chunks, a can of salmon, a can of tuna, or (rarely) steak, often with a little cheese as well.  Blue cheese crumbles are high sodium but a little goes a long way.  Ditto goat cheese.  He had a good cafeteria for these but we also kept this kind of thing at home.  

Is there anything that the kids would get a kick out of growing that would make your food budget cheaper and your meals more interesting?  Arugula self seeds like crazy, for instance, and my DD and her friends used to eat it right in the yard.  It's not your everyday lettuce either.  Practically a weed.  Key here is not making work for yourself that is beyond the value of the nutrition.  

Are there filling veggies that are not that expensive?  The other night I went out to eat and ordered a veggie plate along with dinner.   It was spears of jicama, carrots, and cukes with a small serving of mashed avocados with lime juice.  It was surprisingly filling, and I ended up bringing home over half of my entree.  It made me realize that I should keep that stuff around to fill up on.  (Again.)   Carrots are high GI if cooked but low if eaten raw.  Cukes are low as well.  And they are never entirely out of season.

I also struggle with the amount of sodium in cheese and meat. I think there’s a tendency in our minds to think low carb = those things. We end up with large hunks of meat on our plate and a small portion of veg. In reality, our protein requirements aren’t that high, and we tend not to get enough fiber. Naturally making the shift to be veg heavy resolves a lot of the sodium and carb issues.

If tortillas aren’t your thing, a 1/2c portion of brown or basmati rice doesn’t seem to be an issue for our blood sugars if the rest of our diet is going well.

There are a lot of studies that point to those on a vegan diet having lower blood pressure and cholesterol than low-carb eaters. I am not pushing anyone to be vegan, just emphasizing the importance of veg.

A pp comment about b vitamin supplementation is spot on when you start to drop grains.

• Like 2

Lots of great tips but ITA with keeping it realistic. We've had specialized diets for over a decade. We were gf for a decade and paleo, there is just no way to get it as cheap as a SAD. We save money by- menu planning, buying in bulk(anything I find on sale that will keep or online, I used to buy from a food co-op too but they have been perpetually out of anything I want lately), eating at home more (yes the grocery budget is more but the food is better and overall it saves money). I don't aim for perfect budget or diet. I try for pretty good most of the time. We buy some pre-made snacks and make some homemade. I usually do a leftover night about once a week, whenever my stash piles up we skip whatever we planned to eat and it is first come, first choice. Last night I planned burritos but had an unexpected dr's appointment so we did burgers that I skipped Friday in leiu of leftovers, but there wasn't enough so I finished off taco leftovers and dd3 had leftover pasta. Dh takes leftovers every day, he actually loves them. 

Our food costs are more than housing most of the time too.  And our family is way smaller than yours.  

Many people I know, especially in families with health issues, have very high food costs. 

Is there anything that the kids would get a kick out of growing that would make your food budget cheaper and your meals more interesting?  Arugula self seeds like crazy, for instance, and my DD and her friends used to eat it right in the yard.  It's not your everyday lettuce either.  Practically a weed.  Key here is not making work for yourself that is beyond the value of the nutrition.  

This could be a big help.  Initially it might take extra $ to set up a vegetable/herb growing area.

But then after that it gets better.

I can buy a whole pack of seeds for what one head of lettuce costs currently in my area.

AND! IME when kids get involved in growing vegetables they are much more inclined to eat them.  Including at ages of many of yours to graze while gardening.  Plus, homegrown often taste much better.   

Plus if you are homeschooling it can be a big part of that.  

Are there filling veggies that are not that expensive?  The other night I went out to eat and ordered a veggie plate along with dinner.   It was spears of jicama, carrots, and cukes with a small serving of mashed avocados with lime juice.  It was surprisingly filling, and I ended up bringing home over half of my entree.  It made me realize that I should keep that stuff around to fill up on.  (Again.)   Carrots are high GI if cooked but low if eaten raw.  Cukes are low as well.  And they are never entirely out of season.

That sounds delicious!

Keeping essentially a vegetable plate right in home refrigerator can be a good home strategy too.  

Like spears of carrots and celery, sprigs of parsley etc in jars of water where they are up front, visible, and as attractive as possible so as to make them as easy to grab and eat as any processed food snack would have been in past.  And at the same time put processed foods where they are hard to get—try to wean off processed food as you run out of what you have. 

Apple slices (with lemon juice to keep from going brown), cantaloupe, etc can also be made into easily available snacking food. Or appetizers. Or desserts. 

I use soups a lot in winter especially, but some even in summer.  

I have been using IP for soup and stew which makes them even easier.

I made a butternut squash soup that turned out really good and was very filling, and I want to try Gordon Ramsey’s broccoli soup.

usually I make a meat base (often chicken) soup with lots of vegetables.  They can go in thermoses as a lunch

I also make a lot of stews in winter

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Rice cakes are a good base for snacks. At my grocery store they have really thin ones which I like a lot. You can put butter and jam on them, or peanut butter and banana, cheese, etc. I'm too cheap to buy GF bread, plus it has a lot of weird stuff in it, so I just use rice cakes when I want something carby. 

• Like 1