Menu

Best Fast Food Chicken Sandwich?

unsinkable

Chicken Sandwich  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If you eat fast food, which chicken sandwich do you like the best?

• Chik-fil-a
    • Popeyes
    • Wendy's
    • KFC
    • Other fast food place
    • Nobody on the road, nobody on the beach...

I love Chick Fil A, even though I'm a raging liberal.  I know it makes me bad, but I love everything about their food, their service, their efficiency.  I tried twice to get Popeye's sandwiches, but they were out both times.  So I don't feel like I can vote.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

While I love Chick-Fil-A, especially because I can get kids meals as an adult (2 chicken strips, please, with ranch and buffalo), I think my favorite chicken sandwich is Bojangles.  It is just a fried piece of chicken on a biscuit.   I usually add some hot sauce.  It is simple, but so, so, good. For those of you who don't live in Bojangles territory, try it if you ever travel to where there is a Bojangles.

• Like 2

I’ve never had a chicken sandwich at any fast food venue. Is that unusual? I’m picky about sandwiches and how they are constructed. So I voted for Nobody on the road, nobody on the beach. Because I feel it in the air the summer’s out of reach. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I love Chick Fil A, even though I'm a raging liberal.  I know it makes me bad, but I love everything about their food, their service, their efficiency.  I tried twice to get Popeye's sandwiches, but they were out both times.  So I don't feel like I can vote.  

This is me. Never been to Popeye's.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

We were just talking about this topic at dinner last night because both the resident raging liberal and the raging conservative were saying, “But CFA is the best in terms of customer service. Just absolutely hard to beat there!” 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’ve never had a chicken sandwich at any fast food venue. Is that unusual? I’m picky about sandwiches and how they are constructed. So I voted for Nobody on the road, nobody on the beach. Because I feel it in the air the summer’s out of reach. 

Empty lake, empty streets, the sun goes down alone...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Serenade said:

While I love Chick-Fil-A, especially because I can get kids meals as an adult (2 chicken strips, please, with ranch and buffalo), I think my favorite chicken sandwich is Bojangles.  It is just a fried piece of chicken on a biscuit.   I usually add some hot sauce.  It is simple, but so, so, good. For those of you who don't live in Bojangles territory, try it if you ever travel to where there is a Bojangles.

I'm a mostly-vegetarian, and I don't remember the last time I ate fried chicken (years and years and years). And I think that's what the poll is about. But I did have a Bojangles grilled chicken sandwich last year and it was far and away the best fast food grilled chicken sandwich I've ever had. I also like Bojangles 'cause I can make a veggie meal with their sides.

• Like 2

Well, I'm pretty excited to try the vegan nuggets and wings that KFC is introducing. They just started selling them today in one location (in Atlanta) and sold out in 5 hours.

I haven't been to KFC in years (decades, actually), but I'll be there now!🌱

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Well, I'm pretty excited to try the vegan nuggets and wings that KFC is introducing. They just started selling them today in one location (in Atlanta) and sold out in 5 hours.

I haven't been to KFC in years (decades, actually), but I'll be there now!🌱

I have had the impossible burger at burger king, and it tasted so much like I remember a burger tasting that I went back the next week - and they were sold out!  I live in the middle of rural, small-town, conservative, traditional, there-are-no-vegans-in-my-county Missouri.  And they were sold out!

I don't know about the chicken though.  The thing is, a burger is already a ground meat product.  how are they going to imitate longer strips of protein?  I feel like it's going to be disappointing.

(but I'm totally trying it)

• Like 2

When I lived in Bojangles territory (Columbia, South Carolina) it was very “Zaxby’s vs Bojangles.”  I haven’t thought of that in years 🙂

Edit:  we have never lived somewhere with Mellow Mushroom again, either.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, moonflower said:

I have had the impossible burger at burger king, and it tasted so much like I remember a burger tasting that I went back the next week - and they were sold out!  I live in the middle of rural, small-town, conservative, traditional, there-are-no-vegans-in-my-county Missouri.  And they were sold out!

I don't know about the chicken though.  The thing is, a burger is already a ground meat product.  how are they going to imitate longer strips of protein?  I feel like it's going to be disappointing.

(but I'm totally trying it)

Same thing here with the Impossible burger being sold out! I haven't tried one of those yet.

The KFC nuggets and wings are Beyond Meat and I bet they'll be pretty tasty. The Beyond Meat burgers and brats are favorites with everyone in our family.

I'm just so happy to have the option of grabbing a quick plant-based meal while I'm out and about. Plain baked potatoes and boring salads get old fast! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I voted other.

Generally speaking, chicken sandwiches aren't my first choice at anyplace, even CFA.  

But a while ago, probably a few years now, McDs had a chicken sandwich, I think they called it "southern style."  It was a fried chicken type sandwich with pickles on it.  If it was still being sold, that would be my choice.  

Otherwise chicken sandwiches are generally all pretty similar to me.  

ETA: I have never eaten anything at Popeyes.  Actually, until a few years ago, I hadn't been to a place where one existed.  

Yes, I've had that! It was good. Similar to chik-fil-a...And we didn't have a chik-fil-a here at the time. I think they might have put a melted buttery substance in the roll. Hahaha

Until chik-fil-a got here, before & after McDonald's stopped serving that southern style, I loved Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich.

I was too embarrassed to even list it...But Burger King has this superprocessed chicken patty sandwich ("original chicken sandwich") that is a greasy juicy mess. It was what I'd get to eat when I worked at BK when I was a teen. So while I'd say it is horrible, and it didn't make the poll, I do have one every few years. 

46 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I vote CFA. 

On a side note- not a fast food restaurant, but the Homestyle Chicken BLT Sandwich from Cracker Barrel might just be the best overall chicken sandwich I've ever eaten. So if you are a chicken sandwich connoisseur you should try it. It was so yummy. 

I'm not really a connoisseur but now I want to try it!

• Like 1

Just looked up the Cracker Barrel description. Sounds yummy...almost like a chicken and waffles vibe, but no waffle.

Crispy, golden-fried Sunday Homestyle Chicken® drizzled with our maple glaze, topped with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and sweet n' smoky mayo on a bun. Served with a sampling of Cole Slaw and your choice of a Cup of Soup or any Country Side.

• Like 1

I can tell the difference between Chick-fil-A and Sonic ice pellets.  Sonic is better, but Chick-fil-A is also good.

I have only had the generic Sonic ice on road trips and then I am still happy to be getting a flavored soda, so it is not totally disappointing.  

There are no Sonics where I live now and I don’t miss it, but we have some good regional foods here that we won’t have when we move back into a Sonic area.  

Really Sonic ice is extremely good, though!  

Edited by Lecka

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

Yes, I've had that! It was good. Similar to chik-fil-a...And we didn't have a chik-fil-a here at the time. I think they might have put a melted buttery substance in the roll. Hahaha

Until chik-fil-a got here, before & after McDonald's stopped serving that southern style, I loved Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich.

I was too embarrassed to even list it...But Burger King has this superprocessed chicken patty sandwich ("original chicken sandwich") that is a greasy juicy mess. It was what I'd get to eat when I worked at BK when I was a teen. So while I'd say it is horrible, and it didn't make the poll, I do have one every few years. 

YES. That Burger King sandwich. I only ever want one when I’m pregnant (I.e. now). But oh my goodness. It is absolutely the best. So greasy. 

In my regular (nonpregnant) life, I really enjoy CFA plain chicken sandwiches. And my 73 year old father talked me into trying a cup of their soup a year or so ago, and I really liked that too. It’s not slimy or gross. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

When I lived in Bojangles territory (Columbia, South Carolina) it was very “Zaxby’s vs Bojangles.”  I haven’t thought of that in years 🙂

Edit:  we have never lived somewhere with Mellow Mushroom again, either.  

We love The Mellow Mushroom!

• Like 1

Well, I will vote for CFA because I can get a grilled chicken sandwich with BACON on a gluten-free bun.  It's the only place* that I can eat a real meal.  Their fries are cooked in a separate fryer, so they are also safe.

Edit: *the only fast food place

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

When I was a teenager (and long before I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy) I worked in several fast food restaurants.

I liked McDonald's chicken sandwich, but I ate it with sweet-and-sour sauce instead of mayo.  It was kind of sickening sweet.

At KFC, I liked the Chicken Littles (they were different than the ones offered now).  The chicken, mayo, dinner roll combination was completely out of proportion and I kind of liked it that way.

29 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

But i can see you... brown skin shinin’ in the sun...😎

CFA chicken minis, baby! They are teeny sandwiches and I could eat them by the dozen. 

After my colonoscopy, I insisted we go get chicken minis on the way home.  Those things are amazing!  My husband calls them chicken and crack!

I'm still mad that Chik-fil-A got rid of chicken salad sandwiches and coleslaw.  I'm also mad that their tea is starting to taste too sweet and that this is definitely a sign that I'm getting old.  I think I'll wait a month or two to try the Popeye's sandwich.  Somehow i think it'll taste a lot like their spicy chicken but with boneless breast meat.  The real question is WHY is nobody making sandwiches with dark meat.  Dark meat is just better.

Also, I just learned today that people have strong feelings about the shape of their ice.

• Haha 1

I'm another fan of Chik-fil-a's tortilla soup. It's my favorite fast food item. 

I suspect I'll like Popeye's sandwich better if I ever get around to ordering it because, frankly, Popeye's without a biscuit is just not the same. (A bite of biscuit, a bite of spicy tender and a spoonful of their coleslaw is a mouthful of fast food chicken perfection.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lecka said:

I put Chick-fil-A, but my husband was going to try Popeye’s this week but they were sold out!

We’re interested in trying it.  

For the ones we’ve had — Chick-fil-A.  

Popeye's chicken is too spicy for me. My husband loves their Tuesday prices.

FH, DS, and I tried the impossible burger this evening. It’s patties are now sold at our local Kroger. We all agreed...the first three bits are fine e and we’d probably eat it in the dark with no advanced warning. Still, the adults all preferred ground meat and veggie patties to the impossible burger she DS couldn’t even finish his.

CFA reigns supreme her but only DD likes it that much. I’m relying on DH to try Popeyes and report back. Mostly, we prefer our food from home.

Edited by Sneezyone

10 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

post about a Chik Fil A worker being perfect

I just nearly snorted coffee!!!! That's hysterical, and so true. 

Also, they will give a pregnant lady a FREE cup of their amazing ice. Don't even have to buy anything else. Now THAT is pro-life! (yes, I may have anemia and ice cravings while pregnant)

Oh, and they have those little stick on placemats for toddlers, so that they can eat off the table hygienically, AND they have little containers of cheerios for the toddlers to munch on. And a book instead of a crappy plastic toy!

I ADORE Chik-Fil-A and I also am a raging liberal. I also know they treat their workers well, and they do a LOT whenever there is a local disaster, etc. Including responding to the Pulse nightclub shooting.

9 hours ago, Junie said:

Well, I will vote for CFA because I can get a grilled chicken sandwich with BACON on a gluten-free bun.  It's the only place* that I can eat a real meal.  Their fries are cooked in a separate fryer, so they are also safe.

Edit: *the only fast food place

YES!!!!! Before, I went there because it was the only place I could get my kids, chicken, milk, and fruit as a meal. Now I go because they are the only safe place for my Celiac kid. My only complaint, and I should really contact the company about it, is that I can't substitute fruit for nuggets in the kids meal. He doesn't like the grilled nuggets, so I'd like to get him fries, fruit, and a drink as a kids meal instead of chicken nuggets with either fries or fruit. I need to see if they will let me substitute the grilled sandwich on gluten free bun for the chicken. or if they will just put an adult meal in a  kids meal box, lol. He mainly wants the toy (which at Chik Fil A is usually a book. 

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

After my colonoscopy, I insisted we go get chicken minis on the way home.  Those things are amazing!  My husband calls them chicken and crack!

Those ARE crack! Haven't had them in  long time, and didn't even exactly LIKE them but couldn't NOT keep eating them. 

• Like 4

As for sandwich, i actually agree with whomever said the old McDonald's Southern Style. And I used to like the Wendy's Chicken Sandwich about a decade ago but they changed it a bunch of times and it isn't the same anymore. 

I'm also now craving the BLT one someone mentioned, but hate going to Cracker Barrell so won't be getting it. They have the opposite kind of customer service as CFA. Rude, slow, inefficient, etc. 

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm still mad that Chik-fil-A got rid of chicken salad sandwiches and coleslaw.  I'm also mad that their tea is starting to taste too sweet and that this is definitely a sign that I'm getting old.  I think I'll wait a month or two to try the Popeye's sandwich.  Somehow i think it'll taste a lot like their spicy chicken but with boneless breast meat.  The real question is WHY is nobody making sandwiches with dark meat.  Dark meat is just better.

Also, I just learned today that people have strong feelings about the shape of their ice.

If you go to a CFA Dwarf House, they still sell the chicken salad and cole slaw! I know there aren’t many of those but if you run across one, it’s worth the stop. 

22 hours ago, Junie said:

When I was a teenager (and long before I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy) I worked in several fast food restaurants.

I liked McDonald's chicken sandwich, but I ate it with sweet-and-sour sauce instead of mayo.  It was kind of sickening sweet.

At KFC, I liked the Chicken Littles (they were different than the ones offered now).  The chicken, mayo, dinner roll combination was completely out of proportion and I kind of liked it that way.

LOL When I opened this thread my first thought was "the original KFC Chicken Littles from the 80s or 90s." Espcially if they made them fresh while you were there.  MMMMMMM They will never be the same though, they changed them and ruined them. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Junie said:

LOL When I opened this thread my first thought was "the original KFC Chicken Littles from the 80s or 90s." Espcially if they made them fresh while you were there.  MMMMMMM They will never be the same though, they changed and ruined them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tap said:

LOL When I opened this thread my first thought was "the original KFC Chicken Littles from the 80s or 90s." Espcially if they made them fresh while you were there.  MMMMMMM They will never be the same though, they changed them and ruined them. 

I'm surprised anyone else even remembered them!

• Like 1

I’m not a chicken sandwich fan, but one time, before food allergies kept me out of fast food restaurants, I bought and enjoyed a spicy chicken sandwich from CFA.

However... they should have had a warning that if you have a, shall we say, “sensitive intestinal tract”, eating that sandwich is equivalent to swallowing a small angry dragon, who will then breathe fire as he is later released from his colonic prison, sending searing, burning pain throughout one’s digestive exit paths.  It was mildly amusing, to experience the sandwich from Hell, purchased at the (un)official fast food restaurant of our local First Baptist Church.

Even though it was delicious and made a funny story, I never ate one of those sandwiches again.

• Haha 1