Menu

I need a super easy potluck item

Peaceseeker

I am feeling run down and exhausted.  Cooking has been non existent this week.  We have a church potluck this week and I don't want to miss it.  It's a new church for us (going less than 6 months) and we need to stay and fellowship.  Does anyone have any super easy ideas for me to bring?  I have a family of 4 and it is a small church.  We live about 45 minutes away and it has to sit until after service (so hold time of two hours).  I have a crock pot but not sure how many plugs they have in the tiny kitchen area.  There is a regular sized fridge to keep cold items.

Corn Pie - it's a side dish, not a dessert

This is my #1 potluck item, and 9/10 someone asks for the recipe before I leave, and it becomes their #1 potluck item too, lol. 

Preheat oven to 350

1 can corn, drained

1 can creamed corn

1 box jiffy corn muffin mix

1 8oz container sour cream

1 stick of butter, softened

2 store bought graham cracker crusts

Mix everything up and pour into the two pie crusts. Bake about 50minutes to an hour, until set in the middle. Serve warm OR room temperature. 

• Like 5

My go to potluck item is yellow rice (I can do it homemade, but I usually just buy the packaged kind), black beans (again, I can soak and cook, but canned is fine), homemade salsa, and a sliced avocado. You do a layer of the rice, hollow it out, then the beans, then the salsa, as if it's a little bowl. Then the avocado artfully arranged. So easy. Looks pretty impressive. Is liked by nearly everyone in my experience (I can't tell you how many potlucks I've been to where it's the only thing polished off), is gluten free and vegan, is fine cold or room temperature, can be a main dish because it's got beans, or a side. I am convinced this is the perfect potluck dish.

• Like 7

Are there peanut restrictions? 

If not, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Or, tortilla pinwheels. Mix 8oz of softened cream cheese with 1 cup or so of sour cream. Season with 2 tsp of taco seasoning (or seasoned salt). Add 4 oz of drained green chiles (or 1/2 c or so of salsa). Spread on tortillas and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap. Refrig several hours (or stick in freezer for an hour or so if you are in a hurry). When firm, slice into pinwheels. Serve with taco sauce or salsa. 

You can add olives or finely chopped veggies. It is really flexible.

• Like 3

My favorite thing to take is easy and my children actually eat it, so win-win. It’s also always eaten by everyone else too!

On a big tray, I put cheese cubes, assorted crackers, grapes on the stem (6-8 grapes each stem), strawberries (if in season). 

Sometimes I even get really fancy and stick toothpicks in the cheese cubes. ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Corn Pie - it's a side dish, not a dessert

This is my #1 potluck item, and 9/10 someone asks for the recipe before I leave, and it becomes their #1 potluck item too, lol. 

Preheat oven to 350

1 can corn, drained

1 can creamed corn

1 box jiffy corn muffin mix

1 8oz container sour cream

1 stick of butter, softened

2 store bought graham cracker crusts

Mix everything up and pour into the two pie crusts. Bake about 50minutes to an hour, until set in the middle. Serve warm OR room temperature. 

I make this too, but without the crusts.   Everyone loves it.  I'll have to try the crusts to kick it up a notch!  I think my recipe came form a Walgreen's Family Cookbook.  

• Like 2

Super easy, stick in the oven and go about your day:

Cover boneless chuck roast on all sides in dried minced onlon,kosher salt, rosemary, garlic powder, some oregano, a bit of marjoram. Oven at 275F, place in Dutch oven, cover, and cook for several hours until meat is falling apart. Sometimes I will roast some quartered small potatoes (coated in olive oil and kosher salt) separately when the meat is done at 400F on sheet pan, stirring occasionally until nicely browned. Can be tossed in around meat if desired.

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 3

Am I the only person who thought about running to Sam's Club and picking up something? A container of slaw and some cole slaw dressing and I'm done? Or a container of brownies? Or their chicken salad and a container of grapes (i.e. clean grape, toss in chicken salad, and I've made some chicken salad! - add some hawaiian rolls and I'm done!)

Yes, I really do cook at home! And yes I normally make something for potlucks. But exhausted and stressed, I'm taking the easy way out!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Am I the only person who thought about running to Sam's Club and picking up something? A container of slaw and some cole slaw dressing and I'm done? Or a container of brownies? Or their chicken salad and a container of grapes (i.e. clean grape, toss in chicken salad, and I've made some chicken salad! - add some hawaiian rolls and I'm done!)

Yes, I really do cook at home! And yes I normally make something for potlucks. But exhausted and stressed, I'm taking the easy way out!

Oh yum!  That sounds so good and quick!

• Like 1

I've got the ingredients for easy potluck meatballs in the freezer now. You bake frozen premade turkey meatballs until lightly browned, then put them in the crock pot. Pour over a jar of chili sauce and a pint of grape jelly, heated up to melt the jelly. Let them heat up together for a few hours. 

Another thing I like is ghirrardelhi brownie mix. They are so good, I'm never going to make brownies from scratch again.

I cook wonderfully healthy food all the time, but not for potlucks. ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bambam said:

LOL, no! That is exactly what I'd do whether exhausted or not. But I always figure people who post are actually thinking of making something.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Brownies or some other easy-to-make dessert

Brownies from a box are my go-to item.   I like Ghiradelli, but it doesn't seem to matter the brand -- people eat 'em up.   I guess people don't make brownies often at home anymore.

• Like 2

Well, for a party last night, I took a summer sausage, cracker cut cheese, box of assorted crackers, container of spinach dip, container of caramelized onion dip, and some chips. We have to travel an hour to get to the party and had a couple of errands to run first, so I stuck the cheese, sausage, and dips in a small cooler bag with an ice pack. 

Trader Joes had out frozen mini-meatballs cooked in apple cider jam and sriracha sauce out for tasting yesterday and it was quite good, though I might lessen the sriracha a bit for a party with kids. For fall, mixing their pumpkin butter with softened cream cheese and serving with the ginger cats cookies, ginger snaps, or apple slices is tasty. Costco's mini brownie bites are really good, or bake your brownies in a mini muffin pan. I like smaller servings of desserts for a potluck since folks like to try several. I've even bought inexpensive pizza and cut it up into small squares a couple of times.

Unfortunately it's past watermelon season, as that is one of my go-to for potlucks when they're available. Makes a ton, cheap, and easy.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, elroisees said:

I've got the ingredients for easy potluck meatballs in the freezer now. You bake frozen premade turkey meatballs until lightly browned, then put them in the crock pot. Pour over a jar of chili sauce and a pint of grape jelly, heated up to melt the jelly. Let them heat up together for a few hours. 

Another thing I like is ghirrardelhi brownie mix. They are so good, I'm never going to make brownies from scratch again.

I cook wonderfully healthy food all the time, but not for potlucks. ?

I nearly always have the ingredients for 7 layer dip at home. Sometimes I don't have the sour cream, but that is rare. But the meatball ingredients would be even easier to keep in hand.

As to brownies...I've shared this often but I doctor the mix by replacing the water called for with Kahlua and adding a cup or so of chips...any flavor...milk, semi or white.

Another quick "almost always have ingredients" recipe is Rice Krispy treats. I've become a browned butter rice krispy devotee recently...it is awesome in Rice Krispies, with vanilla or bourbon and a pinch of salt.

• Like 5

Buy a package of lunch meat and one of cream cheese.  Freeze the cream cheese for a little bit (not solid, just super firm) and then cut slices of the cream cheese from top to bottom along the long side. Cut each of those slices in into three or four "sticks" (again, the long way).  Roll up each of these long sticks in a piece of lunch meat.  Voila. 

• Like 3

Lots of good ideas here!  Here's another that may or may not be what you need now (but someone might another time)

A bag of spinach, a bag of arugula, vinaigrette or italian dressing, feta cheese, sunflower seeds.  

You can use all spinach if you want.  I also like all arugula, but not everyone does. (Most days that is my work lunch, as I can put it all together in the morning and it's not wilty by lunchtime.)  Dressing, cheese, seeds to taste.  

Just  mix it all together in a big salad bowl. Use just one bag of greens if you don't need a lot. 

I buy sunflower seeds at Trader Joe's. For my/my family's taste, I buy a bag of roasted/salted, a bag of roasted/unsalted, mix them together, and store in mason jars. They have the right amount of saltiness for us that way.  

BTW, anyone else remember when arugula was "fancy" food?  Now it's in the grocery store at the same price as bagged spinach, romaine, etc. 

• Like 1

I used to be in charge of the potlucks at our church. Each time I'd bring hot dogs in a crockpot. It's the easiest thing ever and the kids will love you. Open up packages of hot dogs and put them in a crockpot. Turn on high when you get to church and they'll be ready after. Bring buns and ketchup/mustard. Done and done. ?

• Like 4

Rice Krispy treats.  Doesn't need to be kept cold or hot, super easy to make, always gets eaten, can easily be made allergy friendly.  Depending on the size of the crowd, I will bring along a pkg of pretty muffin tin liners (or mini ones) and cut the treats to fit, one in each, but don't take them out of the pan until you are ready to serve.  When it is time, put one treat per liner and put them out on the table.  Now they look fancy, are easy to grab and no one walks off with your serving utensil.

If I have to make a hot dish I usually make white chicken chili (which isn't actually white, but I guess beige chicken chili doesn't sound as good) I start with a seasoning mix and dress it up or down.  I have never brought any home.  I add an extra can of beans to stretch & make sure it is mild enough.  I usually bring along a bag of shredded cheese and a jar of pickled jalapenos for people to add to the top if they are so inclined.

https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/recipe-mixes/chili/white-chicken-chili-seasoning-mix

Good luck!

Amber in SJ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Beanie Weenies.  Dump a couple of cans of your favorite baked beans in the crock pot.  Slice up a package of hot dogs (or two) in it.  Set the crockpot on low or if you have a keep warm setting, that's even better because that's really all you want to do is keep it warm.  If you don't want to bother slicing the dogs, gets some of those little mini sausages then all you gotta do is dump them in.  

This is even easier if you buy Lil Smokies and throw those in instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amber in SJ said:

Rice Krispy treats.  Doesn't need to be kept cold or hot, super easy to make, always gets eaten, can easily be made allergy friendly.  Depending on the size of the crowd, I will bring along a pkg of pretty muffin tin liners (or mini ones) and cut the treats to fit, one in each, but don't take them out of the pan until you are ready to serve. 

I can make mean homemade pies, bread, and pastries, but Rice Krispy treats bring me to tears.  I dirty a dozen items in my kitchen and eat at least half of the concoction off of my hands -- out of necessity, of course LOL, because wiping with paper towels or scraping with a spatula is just a mess.  Of all the things to watch a youtube video of, this is the craziest, but I want to figure out how you (and many gifted women like you) call Rice Krispie treats easy!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Farrar said:

My go to potluck item is yellow rice (I can do it homemade, but I usually just buy the packaged kind), black beans (again, I can soak and cook, but canned is fine), homemade salsa, and a sliced avocado. You do a layer of the rice, hollow it out, then the beans, then the salsa, as if it's a little bowl. Then the avocado artfully arranged. So easy. Looks pretty impressive. Is liked by nearly everyone in my experience (I can't tell you how many potlucks I've been to where it's the only thing polished off), is gluten free and vegan, is fine cold or room temperature, can be a main dish because it's got beans, or a side. I am convinced this is the perfect potluck dish.

I was going to suggest something similar, our go-to:  layered black bean nachos.  Any variation of tortilla chips, black beans, various veggies (generally green and red pepper, onions and chopped tomatoes), salsa, and grated cheese.  Your idea sound great though!  I'm going to give that a try next time.  ? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Familia said:

I can make mean homemade pies, bread, and pastries, but Rice Krispy treats bring me to tears.  I dirty a dozen items in my kitchen and eat at least half of the concoction off of my hands -- out of necessity, of course LOL, because wiping with paper towels or scraping with a spatula is just a mess.  Of all the things to watch a youtube video of, this is the craziest, but I want to figure out how you (and many gifted women like you) call Rice Krispie treats easy!

Stay some Pam on your hands and the spatula. Works great! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Familia said:

I melt (brown it lately) butter in a nonstick stockpot and add marshmAllow s and melt them. I stir with a wooden spoon. Add the Krispy cereal and stir...nothing sticks to the stock pot at all. A couple bits of treats stick to spoon. 

I spread in a nonstick pan with spoon. I used to spray pan with Pam but it isn't necessary with a nonstick pan. But then I get a piece of waxed paper, spray that with a bit of Pam and place it Pam side down on top of the Krispies. I smoosh and smooth and compress the Krispies into the pan that way...nothing sticks to the waxed paper. 

So 1 stockpot, 1 wooden spoon, 1 piece of waxed paper and a 13x9 pan.

And no sticking of the Krispies

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love making desserts but I'm really potluck challenged if I need to bring a main dish (which we generally do). I am particularly challenged when it is going to sit for awhile. I have this situation tomorrow with mass followed by potluck. So I have to drop off a dish for a dinner that will only begin to be served 1.5 hours later. ??? What if there isn't room for everyone to bring a crock pot? What main dish can be room temperature for so long and still taste good and be safe? 

I realize I make this harder than it needs to be because I really prefer my food to be hot or cold in general. I'm not one to like it to sit out and cool off and get annoyed when people don't come to the table right when called. Add in a bit of social anxiety and potlucks are just too stressful!! 

I'd be okay if I felt we could get away with side items (dessert, bread, chips and salsa) but main dishes or substantial sides have me stumped.

So, OP, I am no help but thanks for starting the thread.

• Like 1

I always take a crockpot spanish rice.  Easy peasy.   And one year- for the church salad luncheon no less, I was sick and used orzo instead of rice without knowing it. I have had requests for the recipe.

I've also bought a frozen lasagna.  Precook at home or let it cook while the church service is going on.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Slache said:

Buy a store bought potato or macaroni salad and put it in a Pyrex bowl. Add hard boiled eggs, celery and salt and pepper if you're so inclined.

Boxed brownies. Add chocolate chips. People love them.

-The exhausted Baptist

If you are getting the salad from a deli, you can take your bowl in and some saran wrap.   You hand them the bowl and tell them to fill it up.  They zero out the scale, then fill it.  No wasted containers and you get the precise amount.  

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

If you are getting the salad from a deli, you can take your bowl in and some saran wrap.   You hand them the bowl and tell them to fill it up.  They zero out the scale, then fill it.  No wasted containers and you get the precise amount.  

I think you win the thread!

• Like 4

Mine are in college, my schedule is crazy with multiple jobs. I almost always take something like this:

Grill chicken parts and throw into a crockpot with a good grocery store barbeque sauce poured over the pieces as I put them in the pot. Sometimes I'll also cut an onion and/or bell pepper to put into the mix to make it even more "homemade."

A rice dish like Spanish Rice or fried rice, also in a crock pot. Sometimes I buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and shred it to put into the rice, saving some of it for us to eat later.

My younger one and I are both gluten-free, so this ensures that we have something to eat there too. We go to a small church in an older building, and I actually plug in my crockpot downstairs in a Sunday room behind a storage area. The teacher in that room told me about that spot. Our church has extra outlets in the kitchen, but the Sunday School rooms are on a separate circuit, so some of us use the outlet strip in the Sunday School room ;).

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I love making desserts but I'm really potluck challenged if I need to bring a main dish (which we generally do). I am particularly challenged when it is going to sit for awhile. I have this situation tomorrow with mass followed by potluck. So I have to drop off a dish for a dinner that will only begin to be served 1.5 hours later. ??? What if there isn't room for everyone to bring a crock pot? What main dish can be room temperature for so long and still taste good and be safe? 

I realize I make this harder than it needs to be because I really prefer my food to be hot or cold in general. I'm not one to like it to sit out and cool off and get annoyed when people don't come to the table right when called. Add in a bit of social anxiety and potlucks are just too stressful!! 

I'd be okay if I felt we could get away with side items (dessert, bread, chips and salsa) but main dishes or substantial sides have me stumped.

So, OP, I am no help but thanks for starting the thread.

I use my Pyrex Portable for situations like that. It will keep food either hot or cold.

• Like 1

I also make the corn dish described by previous posters. Except no crust, and I use a 9 x 13 pan. I had never had it before getting married, but MIL made it when DH was growing up. In fact, she specifically made it when she had to take food to a family in need, so her kids named it Death Corn and would ask, "who died?" whenever she whipped up a batch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If you feel like making a dip, we find this taco dip to be a crowd-pleaser, and it is super easy.

Stir one packet of taco seasoning into a 16 oz carton of sour cream. Spread into a pie or quiche plate. Sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese over the top, as well as diced green pepper, tomatoes, and green onions. Serve with tortilla chips and/or corn chips.

It's surprisingly yummy for something so easy.

• Like 2

My go to especially when kids are involved is canned chilli and shredded cheese dumped in the Crock-Pot. Bring corn chips and serve as a dip.   It's always gobbled up. 

I try to bring something substantial as so many bring fruit or cookies or just chips.  We are a big family (11) so I want to make sure there's some hearty and that I'm covering enough for my kids going hog wild on food they don't get at home. It can be GF if you use hormel chilli. 

• Like 1

I know it’s boring, but a bowl of fresh, cut up fruit.  Go to Sam’s and get the tray of fruit then add whatever isn’t in the tray - strawberries. blueberries, raspberries.  Some cut up kiwi?  Just buy a bunch of fruit at Sam’s, cut it up, and put it in a pretty bowl.  Most everyone will eat fruit (except maybe the low-carb folk). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, busymama7 said:

My go to especially when kids are involved is canned chilli and shredded cheese dumped in the Crock-Pot. Bring corn chips and serve as a dip.   It's always gobbled up. 

Try adding cream cheese (one 8-oz block per two regular size cans of chili). You won’t be sorry ?

• Like 2

So many great ideas in this thread!  I am wiped out from work last night and have another long shift ahead in a few hours.  I am going to peruse this thread for ideas and go run and grab something at the store before work so I am good to go. Thanks for the help as I am too tired to think or be creative right now.  I do always feel like I have to take an entree since we are a family of 4 and the church is so small.  Some of these ideas I am going to save for other bigger family potlucks where I can get by with a side item or dessert contribution though!