Menu

Gardasil vaccine?

solascriptura

So far the only "complication" we've run into is a doc that didn't bother carrying it and told us (incorrectly) that our insurance doesn't cover it. We're going to a new doctor/practice for annual physicals in June, so DD will start the series then.

• Like 1

I don’t know the brand name, but my 9-year-old twins got a first HPV vaccine this morning and it was uneventful.  They only have to get two shots, one more in 6-12 months.

My older son ended up only needing two shots also.  I thought it was three but they said they changed it to two for his age.  It was uneventful for him as well.  

Oh, my kids were not due for any other shot this morning, so there may not be any issue with spacing, there may not be another vaccine to be given at the same time anyway.  And my 13-year-old didn’t need a shot at all!  I like these older ages with hardly any shots to get :) 

I will add that after each shot the pedi practice we took ds to required the child to stay in the exam room and on the table for 20 minutes in case of a reaction. They said they didn't expect a reaction and had never seen one among their patients but because of all the hype surrounding the vaccine they chose better safe than sorry. I'm pretty sure it was a CYA and that they didn't want parents coming back saying their kid had a reaction and that the doctor should have anticipated the possibility. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I will add that after each shot the pedi practice we took ds to required the child to stay in the exam room and on the table for 20 minutes in case of a reaction. They said they didn't expect a reaction and had never seen one among their patients but because of all the hype surrounding the vaccine they chose better safe than sorry. I'm pretty sure it was a CYA and that they didn't want parents coming back saying their kid had a reaction and that the doctor should have anticipated the possibility. 

Same here, although the boys' pediatrician only had them stay about 15 minutes, and that was just hanging out in the exam room (they didn't have to stay on the table). Our pediatrician said it was because they did occasionally have a teen who would feel faint a few minutes after having the vaccine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Same here, although the boys' pediatrician only had them stay about 15 minutes, and that was just hanging out in the exam room (they didn't have to stay on the table). Our pediatrician said it was because they did occasionally have a teen who would feel faint a few minutes after having the vaccine.

Ours said that there were reports that some teens fainted though it hadn't happened yet in their office. The recommendation to give it to boys was still fairly new at the time too. 

• Like 1

The only complication we had was that I waited too long before having the older one get it, and he ended up getting involved in a relationship before he finished the series.  The younger one got his first dose much earlier.

My older kids were already beyond the age recommended or married, but either way, living independently.  I encouraged my younger kids to have it though, while letting them ultimately decide.  Two of them had it, with no reactions whatsoever.  They were college-aged.

My dd has had 2/3 so far and is due for #3 next month.

She did go pale/woozy after the first one which was unusual for her, she's never reacted to vaccinations before. I can't pinpoint the reason but the nurse did say it's not unusual for gardasil. It didn't deter us from completing the course. 

I have had some surprise/side eye in homeschool circles for getting the gardasil though... 

Ds has had the two shot series starting when he was 12. He had some pain at the injection site and said it hurt more than other shots, but otherwise his experience was unremarkable. I believe it’s a two shot series if it’s done before 15. It’s 3 shots for teens older than 15 and if the immune system is weakened. (https://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/questions-answers.html)

Dd isn’t old enough yet, but she’ll be getting it when she’s old enough.

Both of my boys have had it with zero reactions.

My 12 year old usually does react to vaccines (hives)..both influenza and TDAP. 

As somebody whose gone through a colposcopy and LEEP, I'm comfortable with it.  This was the dream.... a vaccine against cancer.  

• Like 2

My son had it and didn't have any reactions. Now that my daughter is the right age to get it, I'm having second thoughts. We personally know a family whose daughter had a reaction that has caused long term side effects. After having the vaccination, she started fainting multiple times a day and suffers from fatigue. It's very hard for her to participate in school, band, sports, or other things because she'll just fall over without warning. The family's life involves all kinds of medical treatment now for a girl who was previously healthy. 

• Sad 1

Not our kids, but the daughter of someone we know has had years of debilitating health problems like chronic fatigue and pain that incapacitates her. She missed a ton of school and did school from home for a while. She's almost 23 now and I think she was about 15 when she had the vaccine. We're not anti vax but we said no to this one. 

4 hours ago, PrairieSong said:

Not our kids, but the daughter of someone we know has had years of debilitating health problems like chronic fatigue and pain that incapacitates her. She missed a ton of school and did school from home for a while. She's almost 23 now and I think she was about 15 when she had the vaccine. We're not anti vax but we said no to this one. 

We have a friend whose daughter had some serious complications after the vaccine and it didn't show up in 20 min. at the doctor's office.  There are times she can't walk.  We are not getting the vaccine.

54 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Does fainting at the time count as a vaccine reaction?  Lots of people faint from needles.

My guess is that if there's a higher incidence of it happening after a particular vaccine than after others, or after antibiotic or other injections then . . . yes, it would count. Bur that is just a guess.

I don't remember the boys' pediatrician being concerned with fainting following any other vaccine.

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

My guess is that if there's a higher incidence of it happening after a particular vaccine than after others, or after antibiotic or other injections then . . . yes, it would count. Bur that is just a guess.

I don't remember the boys' pediatrician being concerned with fainting following any other vaccine.

So I looked this up - apparently the connection is teenagers.  They seem to be more likely to faint from all kinds of vaccines.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, PrairieSong said:

A former student of mine had this happen after the vax. She spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Now faints often and has incapacitating pain. She is 18 now and the doctors don't think this will change. 

• Sad 1